Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not all degrees worthwhile? 14:02 - Feb 5 with 9500 viewsProfessor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42923529

Lisa made this point in another thread recently. I tend to agree that too many people go to university undertaking degrees that are arguable less worthwhile than an apprenticeship. I strongly advocate work-based learning that can be accredited towards qualifications, though many academics don't like this, why not work in civil engineering or business and study through work?

Any other thoughts?
Not all degrees worthwhile? on 01:08 - Feb 8 with 1127 viewsLord_Bony

I've worked in the art industry for nearly 30 years.

If I interview a candidate for a position such as a gallery assistant, I invariably get people applying with a number of qualifications, especially Fine Art degrees. Would I give them the job? Unfortunately, most of the time no because they lack in essential life skills such as having a nice personality that customers are persuaded by.

In other words, it is better to employ someone with no qualifications but has a great persuasive, customer aptitude for sales.

Middle age women seem to be great at this.

Fine art degrees are a niche qualification, some friends of my sons are currently studying music journalism and sound engineering at uni. Very difficult to get good paying jobs in these fields, you really have to be the best to succeed with these kinds of qualifications. A fair amount sadly gets disillusioned by lack of opportunity in their chosen field after they get their degrees of three years studying or more, get saddled with debt and end up working in mundane jobs. These are the ones I genuinely feel sorry for.

Employers don't always look for qualifications to find the best people for their jobs, there's much more to it than that. But I do understand for a lot of well-paid jobs, good qualifications are essential...but the competition is huge.

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Not all degrees worthwhile? on 14:32 - Feb 8 with 1039 viewsmax936

Not all degrees worthwhile? on 01:08 - Feb 8 by Lord_Bony

I've worked in the art industry for nearly 30 years.

If I interview a candidate for a position such as a gallery assistant, I invariably get people applying with a number of qualifications, especially Fine Art degrees. Would I give them the job? Unfortunately, most of the time no because they lack in essential life skills such as having a nice personality that customers are persuaded by.

In other words, it is better to employ someone with no qualifications but has a great persuasive, customer aptitude for sales.

Middle age women seem to be great at this.

Fine art degrees are a niche qualification, some friends of my sons are currently studying music journalism and sound engineering at uni. Very difficult to get good paying jobs in these fields, you really have to be the best to succeed with these kinds of qualifications. A fair amount sadly gets disillusioned by lack of opportunity in their chosen field after they get their degrees of three years studying or more, get saddled with debt and end up working in mundane jobs. These are the ones I genuinely feel sorry for.

Employers don't always look for qualifications to find the best people for their jobs, there's much more to it than that. But I do understand for a lot of well-paid jobs, good qualifications are essential...but the competition is huge.

This post has been edited by an administrator

"Middle age women seem to be great at this."

Aye, Aye employing Cougars hey, you saucy old Trout

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Not all degrees worthwhile? on 16:23 - Feb 8 with 1011 viewsLord_Bony

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Not all degrees worthwhile? on 17:10 - Feb 8 with 994 viewsDrizzy

Not all degrees worthwhile? on 07:40 - Feb 7 by Dr_Winston

The whining student should see their own education and anticipation of enhanced future earnings as something worth investing some of their own cash in, not expect others to pony up for.

How many other services have increased in cost to users by 900% in the last 20 years?

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024