Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tom Carrol 13:23 - Aug 14 with 5751 viewsJFSwan

Slipped under the radar a bit in the Preston match analysis.

I thought he moved the ball well and with urgency. Having a left footer helps balance the midfield and set off attacks for the left fullback & left midfielder with the natural shape of the pass.

Gets a lot of stick but will be more than decent in this division
Tom Carrol on 09:01 - Aug 15 with 1173 viewsSW11Jack

Tom Carrol on 08:13 - Aug 15 by omarjack

Edited for inaccuracy.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2018 9:27]

Incorrect:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30971834
Tom Carrol on 09:24 - Aug 15 with 1132 viewsFireboy2

Tom Carrol on 09:01 - Aug 15 by SW11Jack

Incorrect:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30971834

And a certain fulton was also in the midfield
Tom Carrol on 13:53 - Aug 15 with 1062 viewskarnataka

Tom Carrol on 23:28 - Aug 14 by MattG

Carroll still plays backwards a bit too often for my liking but perhaps it's just shown up more now as we are trying to get the ball forward so much quicker.

He's also getting into the box a bit more which is good to see and his "leave" that led up to McBurnie's goal against Sheff Utd was a really clever bit of play.

I've been quite critical of him in the past but do think he could do well for us this season.

Carroll was taught playing backwards at Swansea not at Spurs where he would always have been coached to pass forwards and quickly. If he couldn't do that, Spurs wouldn't have kept him on their books for 8 years and GP needs to get him back into that mindset asap.
Tom Carrol on 13:56 - Aug 15 with 1051 viewsMattG

Tom Carrol on 13:53 - Aug 15 by karnataka

Carroll was taught playing backwards at Swansea not at Spurs where he would always have been coached to pass forwards and quickly. If he couldn't do that, Spurs wouldn't have kept him on their books for 8 years and GP needs to get him back into that mindset asap.

Don't disagree - it's a shame we've seemingly coached that out of him over the last couple of years. Hopefully Potter can get him back to that way of thinking.

In fairness, he's not passing backwards or sideways >95% of the time any more and, as I say, when he does it's probably just more noticeable because we are generally getting the ball forward so much quicker this season.
Tom Carrol on 13:58 - Aug 15 with 1046 viewsjasper_T

Tom Carrol on 13:53 - Aug 15 by karnataka

So why did Carroll get the same criticisms he's faced here when on loan at QPR, before Swansea coaches ever got a hold of him?

'What is most irritating about him, other than the constant misplaced passes, is his habit of slowing every attacking move down. There was one moment yesterday in the second half when he received the ball in space on the right-hand side with Austin and Morrison charging forward. What did he do? Yep, turned round and passed it sideways...'

'I know exact time your talking about I went berserk. Two options of putting the ball over the top and it was two on one but he played safe and that's his problem. He also has an uncanny nack of letting players run straight past him without making any real effort to stay with them.'

'nail on the head! this is what frustrates me most about the lad. Even when he has room to run forward with the ball, he's always turning and looking for the pass.'
Tom Carrol on 14:06 - Aug 15 with 1031 viewskarnataka

Tom Carrol on 13:58 - Aug 15 by jasper_T

So why did Carroll get the same criticisms he's faced here when on loan at QPR, before Swansea coaches ever got a hold of him?

'What is most irritating about him, other than the constant misplaced passes, is his habit of slowing every attacking move down. There was one moment yesterday in the second half when he received the ball in space on the right-hand side with Austin and Morrison charging forward. What did he do? Yep, turned round and passed it sideways...'

'I know exact time your talking about I went berserk. Two options of putting the ball over the top and it was two on one but he played safe and that's his problem. He also has an uncanny nack of letting players run straight past him without making any real effort to stay with them.'

'nail on the head! this is what frustrates me most about the lad. Even when he has room to run forward with the ball, he's always turning and looking for the pass.'

Well, it's likely that QPR's coaches were no more positive than ours. I saw him play a few games for Spurs and he probably passed at least 3 out of 5 passes forwards all the time because he'd more than likely been told to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024