Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grand Designs- New Series 18:49 - Sep 19 with 1444 viewsBrynCartwright

Tonight at 9:00.Bloody love it.

Have watched the programme over the years, especially the repeats more recently on More4. Wanted to do architecture myself once, but the careers guy at Aberystwyth doused those flames. Should have gone and done it.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Grand Designs- New Series on 19:00 - Sep 19 with 1430 viewsdickythorpe

Very enjoyable. Kevin Mc Cloud is a great host.
Grand Designs- New Series on 19:02 - Sep 19 with 1426 viewssquarebear

It’s mean-spirited, I know, but whenever Mrs Bear watches it I’m secretly hoping that Justin or Horatio or whoever is featured on the programme playing with a 1.5 million budget to build their environmentally friendly carbon-neutral castle ends up finding they’ve built it on swampland.
Grand Designs- New Series on 19:38 - Sep 19 with 1396 viewsPegojack

Best one I ever saw was a Grand Designs Abroad, the story of a middle aged couple from Dorset, Doug and Denni, who bought a shell of a four storey country house in the middle of nowhere in the Limousin, and proceeded to bring it back to life as a b&b. It had been burnt out by the Nazis during the war because it had been used as a base by the Resistance.
D&D had no building experience whatsoever and neither spoke French, but they brought the place right back to its former glory. They used French builders but did the majority of the work themselves, learning as they went along.
I had the pleasure of meeting them when I went there for a week to celebrate my 60th birthday. A truly inspirational pair. You can still watch the episode on U Tube. I recommend it, particularly the Revisited one, where you can see it in all its final glory. Its called Chez Jallot. Kevin McCloud loved them.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 19:41]
Grand Designs- New Series on 19:40 - Sep 19 with 1390 viewsBrynCartwright

Grand Designs- New Series on 19:02 - Sep 19 by squarebear

It’s mean-spirited, I know, but whenever Mrs Bear watches it I’m secretly hoping that Justin or Horatio or whoever is featured on the programme playing with a 1.5 million budget to build their environmentally friendly carbon-neutral castle ends up finding they’ve built it on swampland.

I know what you mean. Very many of the participants are extremely annoying "look at me" types, but also, many are just normal people wanting amazing homes they built, or helped build themselves.

I've found most of the tossers just happen to be in London, building shoe-boxes in tiny land infills decrying the expense of building in the capital, and then suddenly ending up with a milion quid+ house.

Grand Designs- New Series on 22:00 - Sep 19 with 1309 viewsdickythorpe

A good episode to kick off new series. That old folly looked like it was somewhere in France when completed.
Grand Designs- New Series on 22:20 - Sep 19 with 1288 viewsBrynCartwright

Grand Designs- New Series on 22:00 - Sep 19 by dickythorpe

A good episode to kick off new series. That old folly looked like it was somewhere in France when completed.

Enjoyed it, and great to have Kev back. Looks like those old Saxon bones were tossed to the dogs so the project could get back on track.

Grand Designs- New Series on 14:04 - Sep 20 with 1185 viewsMo_Wives

Grand Designs- New Series on 19:38 - Sep 19 by Pegojack

Best one I ever saw was a Grand Designs Abroad, the story of a middle aged couple from Dorset, Doug and Denni, who bought a shell of a four storey country house in the middle of nowhere in the Limousin, and proceeded to bring it back to life as a b&b. It had been burnt out by the Nazis during the war because it had been used as a base by the Resistance.
D&D had no building experience whatsoever and neither spoke French, but they brought the place right back to its former glory. They used French builders but did the majority of the work themselves, learning as they went along.
I had the pleasure of meeting them when I went there for a week to celebrate my 60th birthday. A truly inspirational pair. You can still watch the episode on U Tube. I recommend it, particularly the Revisited one, where you can see it in all its final glory. Its called Chez Jallot. Kevin McCloud loved them.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2018 19:41]

"They used French builders but did the majority of the work themselves"

That's the problem with using French workmen, tbh.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Grand Designs- New Series on 14:37 - Sep 20 with 1167 viewsbyron

Loved the one a few years ago a guy who worked in the new forest I think it was. Lived in a van for years in the woods. Eventually they let him build his own eco sort of house, timber, hay bails etc...
He was a very talented man, the house was amazing. Proper hobbit. Had some weird covenant on it that it could only exist if he lived in it, ie no one else.

Benny

Login to get fewer ads

Grand Designs- New Series on 15:10 - Sep 20 with 1157 viewsMo_Wives

Grand Designs- New Series on 14:37 - Sep 20 by byron

Loved the one a few years ago a guy who worked in the new forest I think it was. Lived in a van for years in the woods. Eventually they let him build his own eco sort of house, timber, hay bails etc...
He was a very talented man, the house was amazing. Proper hobbit. Had some weird covenant on it that it could only exist if he lived in it, ie no one else.

Yep. I saw that one.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Grand Designs- New Series on 07:57 - Sep 22 with 1031 viewsWarwickHunt

Worth a read...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/sep/19/grand-designs-tiny-folly-re
Grand Designs- New Series on 12:18 - Sep 22 with 980 viewsPegojack

Grand Designs- New Series on 14:04 - Sep 20 by Mo_Wives

"They used French builders but did the majority of the work themselves"

That's the problem with using French workmen, tbh.

That was a tap in for you, wasn't it?
😁

What I meant was, they got skilled tradesmen to do the most difficult technical jobs like making and installing customised windows, and doing stonework around the roof. But they did loads more themselves. For example, Doug got a book out of the library to learn the basics of carpentry, then he single handedly built a four story staircase. Fckin amazing.

Sadly, age and health issues meant they had to sell up last year, but they still live in the area and the b&b is still going with new owners.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2018 12:20]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024