Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam 20:13 - Oct 1 with 8816 viewsLohengrin

Well, well worth your time. Brilliant documentary of an absolute shambles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b062mbng/storyville-last-days-in-vietnam

Edit: I can’t recommend this highly enough if the film has piqued your interest. I romped through it in a couple of sittings, it’s likely to remain The standard text for generations to come. Superb!

[Post edited 1 Oct 2018 20:20]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 19:40 - Oct 2 with 1655 viewstrampie

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 19:07 - Oct 2 by Lohengrin

That’s the thing about civil wars, Tramp: they are not terribly civilised.

Often in war one side is more civilised than the other.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2018 19:44]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 19:58 - Oct 2 with 1643 viewsLohengrin

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 19:40 - Oct 2 by trampie

Often in war one side is more civilised than the other.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2018 19:44]

As widely and as deeply as I have studied over the decades, Tramp, I can’t honestly say that’s a conclusion I’ve arrived at too often.

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 21:23 - Oct 2 with 1607 viewsCatullus

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 18:58 - Oct 2 by trampie

Enslaved by the Communists you say, at least they let some of them go, like McCain, the capitalists just dropped napalm on children, blew the brains out of handcuffed prisoners in the street and their American friends burned villages and murdered raped and tortured women and children .
[Post edited 2 Oct 2018 19:00]

McCain was kept prisoner for 5 and a half years, he was regularly beaten, tortured and suffered several broken bones.
I can't say the Americans or South Viets were innocent but the Viet Cong perpetrated atrocities too there was the massacre at Hue and a Viet cong soldier said the general rule for civilians near the border was "atrocity them all and let God cry it out"

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 21:39 - Oct 2 with 1597 viewstrampie

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 21:23 - Oct 2 by Catullus

McCain was kept prisoner for 5 and a half years, he was regularly beaten, tortured and suffered several broken bones.
I can't say the Americans or South Viets were innocent but the Viet Cong perpetrated atrocities too there was the massacre at Hue and a Viet cong soldier said the general rule for civilians near the border was "atrocity them all and let God cry it out"

They let McCain go after everything the American pilots did to civilians, women and children.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 21:48 - Oct 2 with 1576 viewsCatullus

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 21:39 - Oct 2 by trampie

They let McCain go after everything the American pilots did to civilians, women and children.

What about everything the Viet Cong did to Vietnamese civilians?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_at_Hu%E1%BA%BF

Anywhere from 2,800 to 6,000 men, women, children AND INFANTS, you keep on supporting the Communists if you must but it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Maybe Westmoreland and others should have been up in the Hague but so should many VC and NVA.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 22:13 - Oct 2 with 1557 viewstrampie

The best programme I seen on the Vietnam war was a British programme about an American atrocity [so disturbing I wouldn't advise watching it], 4 hours in My Lai, won the International Emmy for best Documentary that year.

Americans killed, tortured and mutilated civilians, women, children and babies they raped women and young girls, burned the village, even killed their animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

[Post edited 2 Oct 2018 22:53]

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 22:41 - Oct 2 with 1539 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:37 - Oct 2 by trampie

Yanks were embarrassed by a non league team, Ho Chi Minh proved himself to be one of the best players of all time.

Premier League you're having a laugh, Premier League you're having a laugh.

Non league, the Vietnamese?
Only country to intervene to stop the Khmer Rouge holocaust.
Only country that when attacked and invaded by the Chinese in the late 70s to chase the Chinese 500 miles back into China. "Double Hard Bast*rds" doesn't even come close.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 23:00 - Oct 2 with 1525 viewstrampie

You forgot the French.

Login to get fewer ads

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 23:35 - Oct 2 with 1512 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 23:00 - Oct 2 by trampie

You forgot the French.

No needto metion the French. The Chinese are enough.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 09:06 - Oct 3 with 1459 viewsLoyal

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 17:39 - Oct 2 by trampie

The Communists won, the good guys beat the imperialists and their puppets, some stories do have a happy ending.

Right, left fascist or communist it's all filth.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 09:39 - Oct 3 with 1450 viewsCatullus

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 22:13 - Oct 2 by trampie

The best programme I seen on the Vietnam war was a British programme about an American atrocity [so disturbing I wouldn't advise watching it], 4 hours in My Lai, won the International Emmy for best Documentary that year.

Americans killed, tortured and mutilated civilians, women, children and babies they raped women and young girls, burned the village, even killed their animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

[Post edited 2 Oct 2018 22:53]

That's kind of the point, both sides committed atrocities. In a case like that you condemn both sides, you don't around saying Yay, the good guys won, the commies beat the imperialists, not if you're normal anyway.
Normal people condemn both sides, call them both out for their atrocities. I suppose you'd also choose Stalin over Churchill or Roosevelt?

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 10:04 - Oct 3 with 1440 viewstrampie

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 09:39 - Oct 3 by Catullus

That's kind of the point, both sides committed atrocities. In a case like that you condemn both sides, you don't around saying Yay, the good guys won, the commies beat the imperialists, not if you're normal anyway.
Normal people condemn both sides, call them both out for their atrocities. I suppose you'd also choose Stalin over Churchill or Roosevelt?

You mean like the British in WW2 and Mer-el-Kebir and the fire bombing of German cities ?
Or our concentration camps for women and children in South Africa that type of thing you mean is it ?¡

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 10:20 - Oct 3 with 1432 viewsCatullus

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 10:04 - Oct 3 by trampie

You mean like the British in WW2 and Mer-el-Kebir and the fire bombing of German cities ?
Or our concentration camps for women and children in South Africa that type of thing you mean is it ?¡

Yes, that kind of thing. Whatever the conflict, things are done that normally we would condemn. Most people don't want to hear about it and just be happy if their side won. When the truth comes out people tend to try and legitimise things...they started it, they are evil, we did what we had to do etc.
I'm not so naive as Corbyn to say talking can solve everything but I wouldn't be so gung ho as various POTUS's, Blair or whoever else either.

Wars bring with them lots of things to condemn. These days Bomber Harris would be up in the Hague, the Dambusters would face questions too. However, you can't legitimise one sides atrocities because the other side did it......not unless you are a rabid lefty who hates the imperialist yoke and supports any who struggle against it!!

Stalin showed the world you don't have to be right wing to be a despot,

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2011/03/10/hitler-vs-stalin-who-killed-more/

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 10:59 - Oct 3 with 1418 viewstrampie

Its the freedom fighters that are usually in the right, it is often their country that is taken over by foreigners who treat them as second class citizens.
Tit for tat ensues and then the the freedom fighters get called terrorists for fighting back against invaders and often they are up against greater numbers who have greater arms (otherwise they would not have been attacked in the first place) so the freedom fighters have to use guerilla tactics and get called terrorists and all sorts.

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:15 - Oct 3 with 1411 viewsLohengrin

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 10:20 - Oct 3 by Catullus

Yes, that kind of thing. Whatever the conflict, things are done that normally we would condemn. Most people don't want to hear about it and just be happy if their side won. When the truth comes out people tend to try and legitimise things...they started it, they are evil, we did what we had to do etc.
I'm not so naive as Corbyn to say talking can solve everything but I wouldn't be so gung ho as various POTUS's, Blair or whoever else either.

Wars bring with them lots of things to condemn. These days Bomber Harris would be up in the Hague, the Dambusters would face questions too. However, you can't legitimise one sides atrocities because the other side did it......not unless you are a rabid lefty who hates the imperialist yoke and supports any who struggle against it!!

Stalin showed the world you don't have to be right wing to be a despot,

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2011/03/10/hitler-vs-stalin-who-killed-more/

”Yes, that kind of thing.”

Let’s try and bring a bit of sanity and accuracy back into play, shall we? The South African camps didn’t constitute a ‘war crime’ as any fair-minded person understands the charge, rather it was an ill-conceived policy overtaken by catastrophe. The Boer ‘victims’ succumbed to a Typhoid epidemic along with some 15,000 British troops, prey to fever, dysentery and intestinal infection.

Nor was the official response one of callous indifference. Volunteer medical staff, Clase’s hero Arthur Conan Doyle among them, were rushed out in an attempt to alleviate a desperate situation. The size and scope of the RAMC was rapidly expanded and urgent impetus in the search for vaccines was set in train.

From that dark some light emerged. It doesn’t belong in a conversation about carpet bombing and the like.

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:18 - Oct 3 with 1406 viewscontroversial_jack

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 19:04 - Oct 2 by Lohengrin

I’d say winning the Cold War and stand watching as the Soviet Union broke apart would count, wouldn’t you?

The cold war wasn't won by the Americans, it was an internal collapse of the economy, because of a lack of outside investment , particularly into the oil and gas industry.It makes a nice story though of how the west triumphed over the evil commies.
Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:25 - Oct 3 with 1396 viewstrampie

The British concentration camps in SA were definitely a war crime, no doubt, disgraceful causing the death of thousands and thousands of women and children through starvation and diseases when they were jailed in our camps, it was a deliberate policy.

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:31 - Oct 3 with 1391 viewsLohengrin

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:18 - Oct 3 by controversial_jack

The cold war wasn't won by the Americans, it was an internal collapse of the economy, because of a lack of outside investment , particularly into the oil and gas industry.It makes a nice story though of how the west triumphed over the evil commies.

The whole rotten edifice eventually collapsed under the weight of its own iniquity and the example of the West was key to that process.

Folk in the Ukraine and elsewhere would look at us and marvel that we were free to say, read and travel as we wished while they were ground beneath the heel of oriental despotism. We awoke them.

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:34 - Oct 3 with 1386 viewscontroversial_jack

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:31 - Oct 3 by Lohengrin

The whole rotten edifice eventually collapsed under the weight of its own iniquity and the example of the West was key to that process.

Folk in the Ukraine and elsewhere would look at us and marvel that we were free to say, read and travel as we wished while they were ground beneath the heel of oriental despotism. We awoke them.

No, that had absolutely nothing to do with it as I explained.Take your ideological glasses off and do some real research
Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:39 - Oct 3 with 1382 viewsLohengrin

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:25 - Oct 3 by trampie

The British concentration camps in SA were definitely a war crime, no doubt, disgraceful causing the death of thousands and thousands of women and children through starvation and diseases when they were jailed in our camps, it was a deliberate policy.

Explain to me how Lord Cecil’s administration was able to dictate the orbit of bacteria?

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:47 - Oct 3 with 1373 viewsLohengrin

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:34 - Oct 3 by controversial_jack

No, that had absolutely nothing to do with it as I explained.Take your ideological glasses off and do some real research

”...as I explained.

Go on then, take a proper run at it. Explain to me how an ideology as monstrous in concept and practice as Communism would have been able to function indefinitely on Europe’s fringes.

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 12:03 - Oct 3 with 1365 viewstrampie

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:39 - Oct 3 by Lohengrin

Explain to me how Lord Cecil’s administration was able to dictate the orbit of bacteria?

You don't need to be a doctor to know if you overcrowd and contain people in a small area basically living outdoors in the elements with very little food and in awful living conditions then disease is going to spread.
They knew what they were doing and the likely effects on the women and children in the camps and as regards outside the camps we poisoned water wells and destroyed crops, it was British policy.

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 12:20 - Oct 3 with 1355 viewsLohengrin

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 12:03 - Oct 3 by trampie

You don't need to be a doctor to know if you overcrowd and contain people in a small area basically living outdoors in the elements with very little food and in awful living conditions then disease is going to spread.
They knew what they were doing and the likely effects on the women and children in the camps and as regards outside the camps we poisoned water wells and destroyed crops, it was British policy.

”...outside the camps we poisoned water wells and destroyed crops, it was British policy.

Cutting the line of supply, you mean? How would you have gone about restricting the Commando’s range of effective action, Sun Tzu?

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 12:27 - Oct 3 with 1350 viewscontroversial_jack

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 11:47 - Oct 3 by Lohengrin

”...as I explained.

Go on then, take a proper run at it. Explain to me how an ideology as monstrous in concept and practice as Communism would have been able to function indefinitely on Europe’s fringes.

Do i really need to explain this? Your entire post is built upon how the superiority of the west and it's capitalist system took down the evil communists, without you having a basic grasp of the reality of what actually happened.
Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 12:35 - Oct 3 with 1343 viewsLohengrin

Storyville: Last Days in Vietnam on 12:27 - Oct 3 by controversial_jack

Do i really need to explain this? Your entire post is built upon how the superiority of the west and it's capitalist system took down the evil communists, without you having a basic grasp of the reality of what actually happened.

My grasp is pretty solid but I’m always interested in hearing leftie reasoning for Paradise Lost.

The floor is yours, old chap...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024