Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Banksy 12:54 - Oct 8 with 1710 viewsomarjack

The mysterious and anonymous street artist who had one of his arts sold for over 1 m at an auction. Only to be shredded to pieces few seconds later. Then he posted a video on Instagram explaining it.

He's famous for entering Gaza during the bombings in 2015 just so he can draw a graffiti on the remains of a wall of a house destroyed by the IDF bombing.

He shows up wherever there is political unrest or controversy. And mysterious, politically charged drawings start popping up.

Regardless of his political agenda (he's a proud remoaner). We can all agree this guy (girl?) is intriguing. A true peaceful rebel who walks alone in the shadows.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Banksy on 01:11 - Oct 9 with 1565 viewsHighjack

I openly admit I have little interest in or much knowledge on the world of art but I’ve never understood the Banksy thing. He doesn’t seem to be any better or worse than any other graffiti artist that would be treated as petty criminals yet his stuff is allowed and worshipped whilst others are prosecuted.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Banksy on 04:07 - Oct 9 with 1530 viewsE20Jack

HIs identity is neither secretive or mysterious.

His identity is pretty well known.

The media like pretending they don’t know though, more interesting that way.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Banksy on 04:44 - Oct 9 with 1525 viewsWhiterockin

IMO Banksy is a case of "The Emperors new clothes" syndrome.
Banksy on 06:00 - Oct 9 with 1502 viewspeenemunde

Banksy on 04:07 - Oct 9 by E20Jack

HIs identity is neither secretive or mysterious.

His identity is pretty well known.

The media like pretending they don’t know though, more interesting that way.

Also I don’t get the importance with him. All he does is what most people could do.
Banksy on 07:51 - Oct 9 with 1460 viewssquarebear

Oh I dunno. I’m about as far from an art critic as it’s possible to imagine (“Mona Lisa? Meh”) but I like the stuff of his I’ve seen way more than the graffiti routinely displayed on railway buildings etc.

But best of all I like his anonymous theng - like Batman or someone - but like he is making a statement about “celebrity” while taking the piss out of us all.
Banksy on 09:00 - Oct 9 with 1414 viewsjackal

Imagine the power that bloke has.

Sits down at a table and draws a picture. An hour or two?

That'll be a million quid, please.
Banksy on 09:19 - Oct 9 with 1398 viewsWarwickHunt

Banksy on 09:00 - Oct 9 by jackal

Imagine the power that bloke has.

Sits down at a table and draws a picture. An hour or two?

That'll be a million quid, please.

One million?

Pffft! Tracy Emin wouldn’t get out of bed for that...
Banksy on 09:24 - Oct 9 with 1393 viewsomarjack

If his identity is known, then who is he?

As for why he's a bit famous (he's not that famous), I guess it's because he symbolises rebellion, he's a symbol of bravery and freedom (I mean who risks going to Gaza under fire just for a drawing of a kitten? Not to forget his entire work is illegal)

His art resonates with the contemporary political and social environment.

I'm not really interested in his art technique. I'm interested in the mystery behind it.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Login to get fewer ads

Banksy on 10:19 - Oct 9 with 1363 viewsjackal

Banksy on 09:19 - Oct 9 by WarwickHunt

One million?

Pffft! Tracy Emin wouldn’t get out of bed for that...

I saw her bed in the Saatchi gallery.

She probably couldn't get out, because she was stuck to the mattress.
Banksy on 13:03 - Oct 9 with 1307 viewsWingstandwood

Banksy on 01:11 - Oct 9 by Highjack

I openly admit I have little interest in or much knowledge on the world of art but I’ve never understood the Banksy thing. He doesn’t seem to be any better or worse than any other graffiti artist that would be treated as petty criminals yet his stuff is allowed and worshipped whilst others are prosecuted.

I reckon the likes of Banksy, Tracey Emin and that (dead shark stuffed in tank) Damien Hirst continue to exist?..... Because they cater to the ego's of the very pretentious, pseudo-intellectuals, critics and intellectual snobs whom actually go out of the way to praise (*cough, cough, cough*) artistic/groundbreaking genius.

IMO some individuals think that they themselves become 'the-dogs-bollocks' and a person of taste and class because they have praised the above aforementioned cr@p artists. A case of they are superior because they see something the ordinary average person cannot.

Here's my take......IMO artists like Leonardo Di Vinci and that Michelangelo (the guy who done the breathtaking artwork in the Sistine Chapel are the real talented geniuses. Someone who trashes an unmade bed or (forklift driver is of equal genius) puts a shark in a tank are frauds.

I can vividly remember you jokingly saying on a previous thread that you were going to rival the likes of Hirst with your own art piece called "pelican-on-a-sofa'. Go ahead with it and charge a million, you'll be made!

Argus!

Banksy on 13:43 - Oct 9 with 1264 viewslondonlisa2001

Banksy on 09:24 - Oct 9 by omarjack

If his identity is known, then who is he?

As for why he's a bit famous (he's not that famous), I guess it's because he symbolises rebellion, he's a symbol of bravery and freedom (I mean who risks going to Gaza under fire just for a drawing of a kitten? Not to forget his entire work is illegal)

His art resonates with the contemporary political and social environment.

I'm not really interested in his art technique. I'm interested in the mystery behind it.

Robin Gunningham and a team of others.
Banksy on 14:01 - Oct 9 with 1248 viewsE20Jack

Banksy on 13:43 - Oct 9 by londonlisa2001

Robin Gunningham and a team of others.

Yup.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Banksy on 14:38 - Oct 9 with 1218 viewsHighjack

If I drew a picture of the fallen Madonna with ze big boobies on the side of someone’s house I’d be carted off. Yet this bastard gets paid millions for it.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Banksy on 15:24 - Oct 9 with 1182 viewsWingstandwood

Banksy on 14:38 - Oct 9 by Highjack

If I drew a picture of the fallen Madonna with ze big boobies on the side of someone’s house I’d be carted off. Yet this bastard gets paid millions for it.

Soooo true!

Argus!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024