Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potter, exempt from blame? 19:40 - Dec 26 with 4042 viewsdickythorpe

Potter, exempt from blame? on 20:04 - Dec 27 with 784 viewsjasper_T

Potter, exempt from blame? on 19:40 - Dec 27 by valleyboy

A few years ago and after I retired I used to watch a lot of what I call “reserve team” football

There was one player in particular that caught my eye that I thought had a very good future playing in football

His name was Josh Sheehan

Yes he went out on loan to Yeovil twice but now playing football regularly for Newport County

Yes he would have had to be an exceptional player to have broken into a side playing in the Premier League, but I would think he would definitely have done well playing for Swansea in the Championship

I remember two particular games he played in. One playing against Cardiff in either the under 18’s or could it have been the under 19’s (can’t remember the name of second club) in where he dominated the midfield by his passes he put out to all parts of the field and his running to get into position to retake the ball back if it was needed

Now when I see players like the players I have mentioned before and yes two are wingers compared to Sheehan being a midfield player, I think Swansea have better player go and bought rubbish instead

Josh was very unlucky with injuries, missed some key development time. Laudrup had him in and around the first team, next on the conveyor belt after Ben Davies.

Henry Jones was one I thought would come good. Tearing up the Welsh Prem for Bala Town now.

We've released a fair few local talents in recent years that deserved professional contracts, while bringing in some expensive wastes of time. And somehow the u18s don't look as promising as they did 3 or 4 seasons ago (a lot of try-ers, not much talent).
Potter, exempt from blame? on 20:29 - Dec 27 with 769 viewsvalleyboy

Potter, exempt from blame? on 20:04 - Dec 27 by jasper_T

Josh was very unlucky with injuries, missed some key development time. Laudrup had him in and around the first team, next on the conveyor belt after Ben Davies.

Henry Jones was one I thought would come good. Tearing up the Welsh Prem for Bala Town now.

We've released a fair few local talents in recent years that deserved professional contracts, while bringing in some expensive wastes of time. And somehow the u18s don't look as promising as they did 3 or 4 seasons ago (a lot of try-ers, not much talent).

The point I’m trying to get over as well is that we are seeing how well Matt Grimes is playing (man of the match in yesterday’s game according to icwales and I wouldn’t disagreed)

Just imagine if the player I saw playing 4 or 5 years ago with the potential he had at that time, was playing alongside Grimes playing in the position and I would even go and say instead of Fer. That would make a big difference

Remembering as well that Sheehan is 6ft tall (the big clubs wouldn’t be interested unles a player is 6ft tall or is something exceptional)

Yes I know it depends if Sheehan made improvements over that time, but seems to be doing OK at Newport and has played nearly every game for them

In fact I might go and see him play and see if he plays like he played all those years ago
Potter, exempt from blame? on 20:34 - Dec 27 with 766 viewsjasper_T

When you go see him take a tape measure, no way he's 6'.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 21:14 - Dec 27 with 751 viewsvalleyboy

Potter, exempt from blame? on 20:34 - Dec 27 by jasper_T

When you go see him take a tape measure, no way he's 6'.

Well that’s the height Newport County has got him down as 1.84 meters

Looking at his photograph he seems to have sprung up from the time I saw him play last
Potter, exempt from blame? on 03:01 - Dec 28 with 714 viewsomarjack

I don't seen what any manager can do with a squad like this one, Don't care if it's Guardiola himself, he won't be making play offs with owners who literally sold EVERY player that generated the least of interest, owners who accepted EVERY f*cking bid they received. While replacing some positions with pittance and almost freebies like useless McKay etc..

Potter shouldn't have accepted this job, he's ruining his reputation as a pro manager in England. I'm not saying he's superb, but let's face it, if it wasn't for him, we would be heading to League One like Reading right now with the squad of teenagers and washed up has-beens, at least, Potter is saving us from utter embarrassment for now at least.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Potter, exempt from blame? on 14:41 - Dec 28 with 652 viewsdameedna

I belive he may have picked up an injury however in the few games he had I thought Byers was a standout player. Not a local and through the Watford or similar academy.

Potter has had quite a challenge this year with not moving on another 5 or 6 players before the season started. This has hampered his long term rebuilding.

Too many experiments and in my mind a huge mistake in not starting the campaign with experienced players.

Enough advice around to know we would struggle to be top of the league without getting the senior pros to lead for the first 6 games.

Done well so far and stuck to his plan so no complaints really.

Some of our games are quite entertaining but the players are to blame for not being clinical enough and making hard work of second halves and missing chances.

Cant see any key signing in Jan so on this basis Potter is absolved of any blame as he continues to lug others baggage.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 14:44 - Dec 28 with 651 viewsdameedna

Yes

A few selection challenges aside a case of carrying too much excess baggage.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 15:13 - Dec 28 with 638 viewsjasper_T

Potter, exempt from blame? on 14:41 - Dec 28 by dameedna

I belive he may have picked up an injury however in the few games he had I thought Byers was a standout player. Not a local and through the Watford or similar academy.

Potter has had quite a challenge this year with not moving on another 5 or 6 players before the season started. This has hampered his long term rebuilding.

Too many experiments and in my mind a huge mistake in not starting the campaign with experienced players.

Enough advice around to know we would struggle to be top of the league without getting the senior pros to lead for the first 6 games.

Done well so far and stuck to his plan so no complaints really.

Some of our games are quite entertaining but the players are to blame for not being clinical enough and making hard work of second halves and missing chances.

Cant see any key signing in Jan so on this basis Potter is absolved of any blame as he continues to lug others baggage.

After 6 games we had 11 points and were in 6th place.

We followed that with two solid 0-0 draws against playoff rivals, the Stoke game (where Dyer and Routledge played), and a 3-0 thumping of QPR. Early season our form was stable, one of the best defences in the league etc. Far from a young side desperate for experienced heads, even if the Forest game saw the youngest starting 11 in the league this season with Fer out and Dhanda in.
Login to get fewer ads

Potter, exempt from blame? on 15:45 - Dec 28 with 623 views34dfgdf54

Potter, exempt from blame? on 15:13 - Dec 28 by jasper_T

We followed that with two solid 0-0 draws against playoff rivals, the Stoke game (where Dyer and Routledge played), and a 3-0 thumping of QPR. Early season our form was stable, one of the best defences in the league etc. Far from a young side desperate for experienced heads, even if the Forest game saw the youngest starting 11 in the league this season with Fer out and Dhanda in.

Yeah but as you fully well knows when a few things start to go wrong, that’s when experienced heads come in handy. It’s a long season, it was never going to be plain sailing. Our form is still relatively decent.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 16:00 - Dec 28 with 611 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Potter, exempt from blame? on 15:13 - Dec 28 by jasper_T

Who is this Dhanda guy, is he like the CBR guy, nowhere to be seen?
I can't believe a lot of the comments on here regarding Potter.
Some of you make him sound like a soccer managerial messiah.
And then in the next breath make plenty of excuses for his apparent mistakes.
As to the fact that he is the only one who could get us playing the sort of passing football we currently display I suggest that you get real, as it is nothing unusual at all.
The U23s have been playing that kind of football for about 2 years now, we played like it when Curt was caretaker and we even played like it under Guidolin in some games, especially just before he was sacked.
The other point is that the biggest improvement in Young Players is having them Training & playing with senior players, that have all said what a brilliant experience it is and how much it has improved their games.

When Potter stops playing obviously unfit, out of condition or disinterested players, stops dropping players that have been or are just starting to play well and stops making so many wierd substitutions I will believe he is really "learning" about the Championship and his best team.
Until then I don't see him as anything that special at all.
Everyone to their own opinion.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 16:08 - Dec 28 with 607 views34dfgdf54

Potter, exempt from blame? on 16:00 - Dec 28 by A_Fans_Dad

Who is this Dhanda guy, is he like the CBR guy, nowhere to be seen?
I can't believe a lot of the comments on here regarding Potter.
Some of you make him sound like a soccer managerial messiah.
And then in the next breath make plenty of excuses for his apparent mistakes.
As to the fact that he is the only one who could get us playing the sort of passing football we currently display I suggest that you get real, as it is nothing unusual at all.
The U23s have been playing that kind of football for about 2 years now, we played like it when Curt was caretaker and we even played like it under Guidolin in some games, especially just before he was sacked.
The other point is that the biggest improvement in Young Players is having them Training & playing with senior players, that have all said what a brilliant experience it is and how much it has improved their games.

When Potter stops playing obviously unfit, out of condition or disinterested players, stops dropping players that have been or are just starting to play well and stops making so many wierd substitutions I will believe he is really "learning" about the Championship and his best team.
Until then I don't see him as anything that special at all.
Everyone to their own opinion.

Dhanda signed before Potter got here for one, and was no doubt a u23 signing.

Not excuses, of course he’s made mistakes, he’s a young manager with a young squad. Like you said though, each to their own.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 17:43 - Dec 28 with 590 viewsjasper_T

Potter, exempt from blame? on 15:45 - Dec 28 by 34dfgdf54

Yeah but as you fully well knows when a few things start to go wrong, that’s when experienced heads come in handy. It’s a long season, it was never going to be plain sailing. Our form is still relatively decent.

Well yeah he brought Routledge and Dyer back when form dropped and DJ picked up an injury. He probably should have done so a bit earlier than he did (same with dropping Rodon) but the argument that we needed wiser heads in the early part season doesn't really line up with reality.

6 points from 7 games is not decent form (17th in the league over that period), even if the quality of opponents has been tougher than average. Big pressure now on the next two fixtures to stop the rot. No danger we go down but a season miles off the pace in lower mid table obscurity won't aid any rebuild efforts.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 17:52 - Dec 28 with 580 views34dfgdf54

Potter, exempt from blame? on 17:43 - Dec 28 by jasper_T

Well yeah he brought Routledge and Dyer back when form dropped and DJ picked up an injury. He probably should have done so a bit earlier than he did (same with dropping Rodon) but the argument that we needed wiser heads in the early part season doesn't really line up with reality.

6 points from 7 games is not decent form (17th in the league over that period), even if the quality of opponents has been tougher than average. Big pressure now on the next two fixtures to stop the rot. No danger we go down but a season miles off the pace in lower mid table obscurity won't aid any rebuild efforts.

11th in last four. Would have liked a point at Hull but wasn’t to be. We will not compete with the likes of Villa this season.

What do you mean aid rebuild efforts, there will me more to go in January which will further challenge depth of an already small squad, staying mid table during this time will definitely aid the rebuild.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 18:23 - Dec 28 with 566 viewsjasper_T

Potter, exempt from blame? on 17:52 - Dec 28 by 34dfgdf54

11th in last four. Would have liked a point at Hull but wasn’t to be. We will not compete with the likes of Villa this season.

What do you mean aid rebuild efforts, there will me more to go in January which will further challenge depth of an already small squad, staying mid table during this time will definitely aid the rebuild.

Attracting players to your project is harder the worse off you appear to be. We're not going to flex the financial muscle of other clubs (via their mounting debts) so need to offer an attractive playing situation to get the right people Potter wants in (and I do think we'll sign one or two). Bottom half and sinking isn't a good look.

"The likes of Villa" have been floundering mid-table like we have. Desperate to go up after another massive financial gamble, they need a big improvement from somewhere to make the grade. We've made them look better than other teams have twice now. Leaking goals like a sieve under Dean Smith. Might struggle to keep Grealish & co. in January if the big boys come calling again.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 18:33 - Dec 28 with 558 viewsmonmouth

I think we easily competed with Villa, twice directly, and all season generally so far. Luck falls the other way in the head to heads and so do the 6 points, and then they are 8 points behind us. Rebuilding or not, I don't see many much better teams in this division. I do see more consistent and stronger ones where it has been counting in both penalty areas. I'm hoping that comes with player changes, selection solidity and experience.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 18:34]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Potter, exempt from blame? on 19:14 - Dec 28 with 540 viewsElmo

Potter, exempt from blame? on 18:33 - Dec 28 by monmouth

I think we easily competed with Villa, twice directly, and all season generally so far. Luck falls the other way in the head to heads and so do the 6 points, and then they are 8 points behind us. Rebuilding or not, I don't see many much better teams in this division. I do see more consistent and stronger ones where it has been counting in both penalty areas. I'm hoping that comes with player changes, selection solidity and experience.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 18:34]

Glad you said that bit about not seeing better teams - we are often unplayable for long spells ( and those long spells are getting longer)

Genuinely excited to go and watch us dish up some fabulous stuff with the likes of Grimes blossoming at each outing

So, a Yes, totally
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 19:16]
Potter, exempt from blame? on 19:45 - Dec 28 with 528 viewsjasper_T

We've only been outclassed three times this season (Norwich, Derby, Birmingham). Every other game we could/should have got something from.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 20:50 - Dec 28 with 506 viewsvalleyboy

Potter, exempt from blame? on 19:45 - Dec 28 by jasper_T

We've only been outclassed three times this season (Norwich, Derby, Birmingham). Every other game we could/should have got something from.

There’s 90 odd minutes in a game

So what about the second half against Hull then

Second half Swansea wasn’t in the game

It was all Hull
Potter, exempt from blame? on 20:53 - Dec 28 with 500 viewsjasper_T

Potter, exempt from blame? on 20:50 - Dec 28 by valleyboy

There’s 90 odd minutes in a game

So what about the second half against Hull then

Second half Swansea wasn’t in the game

It was all Hull

A good team played well, what's your point?
Potter, exempt from blame? on 21:54 - Dec 28 with 469 views34dfgdf54

Potter, exempt from blame? on 18:23 - Dec 28 by jasper_T

Attracting players to your project is harder the worse off you appear to be. We're not going to flex the financial muscle of other clubs (via their mounting debts) so need to offer an attractive playing situation to get the right people Potter wants in (and I do think we'll sign one or two). Bottom half and sinking isn't a good look.

"The likes of Villa" have been floundering mid-table like we have. Desperate to go up after another massive financial gamble, they need a big improvement from somewhere to make the grade. We've made them look better than other teams have twice now. Leaking goals like a sieve under Dean Smith. Might struggle to keep Grealish & co. in January if the big boys come calling again.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at? I’ve said 12th will be a good position to be in, and that’s not “bottom half and sinking”.

I’m also fully aware we won’t flex any financial muscle, but Potter and his scouting network which worked well for him in Osterstund will be able to go work when the high earners have been shifted, there’s still work to do on that front so the rebuild hasn’t even started yet.

Whatever you think of Villa is up to you, not bothered, I just don’t think we are in the position to compete for a 46 game season with them at this present time, proof will be in the pudding come the end of the season.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 22:13 - Dec 28 with 459 viewsjasper_T

Potter, exempt from blame? on 21:54 - Dec 28 by 34dfgdf54

I’m not sure what you’re getting at? I’ve said 12th will be a good position to be in, and that’s not “bottom half and sinking”.

I’m also fully aware we won’t flex any financial muscle, but Potter and his scouting network which worked well for him in Osterstund will be able to go work when the high earners have been shifted, there’s still work to do on that front so the rebuild hasn’t even started yet.

Whatever you think of Villa is up to you, not bothered, I just don’t think we are in the position to compete for a 46 game season with them at this present time, proof will be in the pudding come the end of the season.

You sound like Potter the first time we played them, thinking they're a top side we're fortunate to be in the same division as, against all recent footballing evidence.

We're currently bottom half and have been sinking after a bad run of results. Players and agents take notice of these things on January 1st if their phone starts ringing.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 22:30 - Dec 28 with 451 views34dfgdf54

Potter, exempt from blame? on 22:13 - Dec 28 by jasper_T

You sound like Potter the first time we played them, thinking they're a top side we're fortunate to be in the same division as, against all recent footballing evidence.

We're currently bottom half and have been sinking after a bad run of results. Players and agents take notice of these things on January 1st if their phone starts ringing.

What are you going on about? I think Villa are a good side with top players at this level, in a one off game we can compete but over the course of a season we won’t get near them.

We are 13th, with two games against sides below us coming up, if losing to a strong Hull side away and Aston Villa by a single goal is sinking fast then I genuinely believe your dislike of Potter is clouding your judgement. The games prior to that we got the points tally you personally said we needed.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 23:53 - Dec 28 with 430 viewsjasper_T

Potter, exempt from blame? on 22:30 - Dec 28 by 34dfgdf54

What are you going on about? I think Villa are a good side with top players at this level, in a one off game we can compete but over the course of a season we won’t get near them.

We are 13th, with two games against sides below us coming up, if losing to a strong Hull side away and Aston Villa by a single goal is sinking fast then I genuinely believe your dislike of Potter is clouding your judgement. The games prior to that we got the points tally you personally said we needed.

Coming back from the last international break we were 8th, 2 points off the playoffs.

Now we're 13th, 7 points off the playoffs. That's sinking fast down the table.

You think Villa are a good side with top players which is what I'm on about. You think "we won't get near them" over a full season as if they're a big team guaranteed to succeed. Reality (borne out by their actual performances and results) is they're merely a decent top half team with gaps in their squad, like us. They've struggled for consistent form even after sacking their manager and again, like us, haven't been keeping clean sheets of late. No fit left back, a development player at centre half, bambi on ice striker with an admittedly good record...

Potter was similarly glowing about them before the away game, talking about the special occasion and how tough it would be to get a result, even though they came into it after sacking their manager because they weren't playing well. Not surprised we didn't hear that sort of thing from him this time around. Must have realised he got his messages all wrong.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 23:55 - Dec 28 with 428 viewsrockinjk

Yes.
Potter, exempt from blame? on 00:07 - Dec 29 with 422 views34dfgdf54

Potter, exempt from blame? on 23:53 - Dec 28 by jasper_T

Coming back from the last international break we were 8th, 2 points off the playoffs.

Now we're 13th, 7 points off the playoffs. That's sinking fast down the table.

You think Villa are a good side with top players which is what I'm on about. You think "we won't get near them" over a full season as if they're a big team guaranteed to succeed. Reality (borne out by their actual performances and results) is they're merely a decent top half team with gaps in their squad, like us. They've struggled for consistent form even after sacking their manager and again, like us, haven't been keeping clean sheets of late. No fit left back, a development player at centre half, bambi on ice striker with an admittedly good record...

Potter was similarly glowing about them before the away game, talking about the special occasion and how tough it would be to get a result, even though they came into it after sacking their manager because they weren't playing well. Not surprised we didn't hear that sort of thing from him this time around. Must have realised he got his messages all wrong.

It’s a 46 game season, we are not sinking fast down the table, we have pretty much played everyone now and teams now are more or less in the region of the table we expect to find ourselves in come the end, completing for a few above etc.

“Bambi on ice striker” who has scored more than our striker, while at the same time played a few games less. Six I believe? Over 500 more minutes of football. What does that make Oli to you? Villa are a good side, with good players at this level, Chester, McGinn, Hourihane, Kodija, Abraham, Grealish, Bolasie. To think otherwise is pretty stupid to be honest.

Let’s be real here, you’ve gone out of your way to slag the manager off at every opportunity, that’s fair enough, your opinion, my opinion is that you are massively unrealistic with your expectations and have nowhere come to terms with where we are as a football club at present. This league, although not the greatest in terms of quality is notoriously difficult and the games come thick and fast, there’ll be plenty more downs as well as ups so get used to it.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2018 0:16]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024