Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Brexit die tonight? 11:59 - Sep 3 with 29833 viewswestwalesed

When this bill passes, which I expect it to, my understanding is that the EU theoretically can propose a different extension to the proposed January 31st, 2020 date currently in the bill.

The bill states that the PM has to accept that date, and that Parliament has two days to either accept or reject it (thereby putting any future extension date in the hands of Parliament as opposed to the PM). Given that we have a remain leaning parliament currently it's hard tp see how any proposed date would be rejected.

PM Johnson would then seek an election as he has stated, but now that it is looking as if the opposition parties may not get to the two-thirds of MPs required to trigger it, there will be no election at all. What then?

With a Govt that has to accept any date given and Parliament refusing to give him an opportunity to change the make up of the Commons, is this the day that Brexit dies?

Is it revoking A50 by the back door?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:08 - Sep 8 with 1058 viewsexiledclaseboy

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:07 - Sep 8 by bluey_the_blue

Momentum is an entryist group.

If you're trying to equate removing the whip from elected MPs voting against the party in government with an entryist group wanting rid of elected MPs due to not being Corynish enough for them, good luck.

Half the cabinet have voted against the whip in the last year. I look forward to them being deselected.

Poll: Tory leader

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:14 - Sep 8 with 1037 viewsbluey_the_blue

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:08 - Sep 8 by exiledclaseboy

Half the cabinet have voted against the whip in the last year. I look forward to them being deselected.

New era, new broom and all that. I can't see a rationale for taking that action against people for things before BoJo took over.

He's clearly determined to go down the tighter "from now on, go against party line on this and you're out" route. Risky tactic for me, but more chance of breaking any impasse than the wishy-washy May era.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:16 - Sep 8 with 1034 viewslondonlisa2001

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:07 - Sep 8 by bluey_the_blue

Momentum is an entryist group.

If you're trying to equate removing the whip from elected MPs voting against the party in government with an entryist group wanting rid of elected MPs due to not being Corynish enough for them, good luck.

And Dominic Cummings?

Not an entryist?

Not even a Tory party member.

What about the UKIP / Brexit company entryists to the Tory party? What did they try to do in Beaconsfield?

You should be more concerned about the Tory party joining with the Brexit company.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:16 - Sep 8 with 1034 viewsexiledclaseboy

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:14 - Sep 8 by bluey_the_blue

New era, new broom and all that. I can't see a rationale for taking that action against people for things before BoJo took over.

He's clearly determined to go down the tighter "from now on, go against party line on this and you're out" route. Risky tactic for me, but more chance of breaking any impasse than the wishy-washy May era.

“From now on, go against party lines like I did before I got the top job and you’re out”.

Nice. Nothing hypocritical about that. You’ll justify it of course because there’s nothing you won’t justify on behalf of your heroes.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 11:20]

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:21 - Sep 8 with 1013 viewsbluey_the_blue

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:16 - Sep 8 by exiledclaseboy

“From now on, go against party lines like I did before I got the top job and you’re out”.

Nice. Nothing hypocritical about that. You’ll justify it of course because there’s nothing you won’t justify on behalf of your heroes.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 11:20]

No, I'm saying it was action May should have taken.

I think for any party leader, on core crucial issues like Brexit there has to be unity. We saw what happened under May, after all - MPs going against own manifesto on this.

There's always room for dissenters, people entitled to have own views, sure. No government can do anything when that dissent is stifling progress as in this case. I just think Brexit is too important to tolerate disloyalty over; I'd not want the whip removed in all circumstances for all topics.

I'd point out the "demanding loyalty" part is hardly unique to Tories.

It's also "your" not "you're" in that context. I'll not hurl the abuse other pedants do...
Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:24 - Sep 8 with 1009 viewslondonlisa2001

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:21 - Sep 8 by bluey_the_blue

I think for any party leader, on core crucial issues like Brexit there has to be unity. We saw what happened under May, after all - MPs going against own manifesto on this.

There's always room for dissenters, people entitled to have own views, sure. No government can do anything when that dissent is stifling progress as in this case. I just think Brexit is too important to tolerate disloyalty over; I'd not want the whip removed in all circumstances for all topics.

It's also "your" not "you're" in that context. I'll not hurl the abuse other pedants do...

Johnson is going against the manifesto.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:25 - Sep 8 with 1008 viewsexiledclaseboy

Autocompleted. Changed now.

You really are a massive hypocrite mind. You hated May’s deal, were a full on cheerleader for those Tories who voted against it but now you belatedly say that those Tories who voted against it should have been chucked out of the party for breaking a manifesto pledge.

A number of labour MPs have defied the whip on many occasions over Brexit. They’re still Labour MPs.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 15:23]

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:25 - Sep 8 with 1008 viewsAce_Jack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:49 - Sep 8 by Jango

Calling a 79 year old a selfish c**t for using his right to vote for whoever he wants. Lovely. I’d call the people who have been demanding the result of the referendum be overturned because it didn’t go how they wanted it to, the selfish ones personally.

if you’re 79 and want a no deal Brexit you are a selfish c**t though. You’ve lived our life and you’ll be long dead before the country gets back on its feet.
Login to get fewer ads

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:25 - Sep 8 with 1005 viewsexiledclaseboy

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:24 - Sep 8 by londonlisa2001

Johnson is going against the manifesto.

There is that as well.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:26 - Sep 8 with 1003 viewsAce_Jack

You’re a joke and a hypocrite 😂
Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:30 - Sep 8 with 997 viewsbluey_the_blue

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:26 - Sep 8 by Ace_Jack

You’re a joke and a hypocrite 😂

Not at all.

If some rebelled over a corporation tax change, claiming it should be 16.4% rather than 16.5%, that's quibbling over implementation details. Someone rebelling when the manifesto they were elected on was Leave because they really want Remain? Adios, Lib Dem in disguise.

Party discipline broke down dramatically under May. You can't deny or argue that one. Do I personally think the whip should have been removed in these cases? No I don't, I wouldn't have done that myself but I can see why it was done. At some point on this issue, a stand has to be made and party discipline restored.

As for your comment, pah, amateur. Heard worse from m wife, kids and cats.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:53 - Sep 8 with 977 viewsJango

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:25 - Sep 8 by Ace_Jack

if you’re 79 and want a no deal Brexit you are a selfish c**t though. You’ve lived our life and you’ll be long dead before the country gets back on its feet.

Let’s take the vote off people over a certain age then shall we? He could live until he’s over100 meaning he’s got at least another 21 years on this planet. Someone who’s 20 could die tomorrow. It’s the refusal of the remain side to accept the result of the last vote that has driven people to have this attitude.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:58 - Sep 8 with 973 viewslondonlisa2001

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:53 - Sep 8 by Jango

Let’s take the vote off people over a certain age then shall we? He could live until he’s over100 meaning he’s got at least another 21 years on this planet. Someone who’s 20 could die tomorrow. It’s the refusal of the remain side to accept the result of the last vote that has driven people to have this attitude.

I don’t agree with calling a 79 year old a selfish c***, but even if he lives another 21 years, none of them will be economically productive.

By definition, someone of that age is gambling with someone else’s money rather than their own.

That’s a fact.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:22 - Sep 8 with 959 viewsHumpty

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:18 - Sep 8 by Ace_Jack

Your old man sounds like a selfish c**t

I'm against Brexit as much as anyone but that's completely out of order.

I'm surprised at you.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:32 - Sep 8 with 946 viewsAce_Jack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:22 - Sep 8 by Humpty

I'm surprised at you.

Medicine and food shortages are what’s out of order and anyone who willingly votes for the madness of a no deal is a c**t.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:46 - Sep 8 with 937 viewsAce_Jack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:53 - Sep 8 by Jango

I’ve been happy to accept a Brexit compromise from day 1. It’s the arrogance of the Tory party that’s led us here, not people who voted to remain.

Someone who is 79 years old has lived a life and had the opportunity to help build a society that represents them. The 2016 referendum destroyed that and young people have been forced to accept the destructive policies of their grandparents without any chance of altering the course. Governments come and go but apparently those reaching the end of their lives have the right to saddle us with this decision for generations and we laughingly call this democracy.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:51 - Sep 8 with 931 viewsHighjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:18 - Sep 8 by Ace_Jack

Your old man sounds like a selfish c**t

The voice of the tolerant, kinder, gentler Labour Party speaks.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:53 - Sep 8 with 928 viewsHighjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:58 - Sep 8 by londonlisa2001

I don’t agree with calling a 79 year old a selfish c***, but even if he lives another 21 years, none of them will be economically productive.

By definition, someone of that age is gambling with someone else’s money rather than their own.

That’s a fact.

Is a human life only worth an opinion and a say if they are “economically active”? Whatever the hell that means.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:54 - Sep 8 with 926 viewsHighjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:22 - Sep 8 by Humpty

I'm surprised at you.

I think this site just hit a new low.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:57 - Sep 8 with 919 viewsJango

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:46 - Sep 8 by Ace_Jack

I’ve been happy to accept a Brexit compromise from day 1. It’s the arrogance of the Tory party that’s led us here, not people who voted to remain.

Someone who is 79 years old has lived a life and had the opportunity to help build a society that represents them. The 2016 referendum destroyed that and young people have been forced to accept the destructive policies of their grandparents without any chance of altering the course. Governments come and go but apparently those reaching the end of their lives have the right to saddle us with this decision for generations and we laughingly call this democracy.

You call the Tory part arrogant and then admit you’ve wanted a compromise from the start. Remain lost the vote, why the hell should there have been a compromise from the start. Do you think if remain had won there would have been a compromise? Not at all. That’s where the arrogance lies.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:58 - Sep 8 with 918 viewslondonlisa2001

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:53 - Sep 8 by Highjack

Is a human life only worth an opinion and a say if they are “economically active”? Whatever the hell that means.

No. I didn’t say that. Stop making stuff up.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:01 - Sep 8 with 907 viewsbluey_the_blue

Does Brexit die tonight? on 12:58 - Sep 8 by londonlisa2001

No. I didn’t say that. Stop making stuff up.

"someone of that age is gambling with someone else’s money rather than their own" intimated their opinion is worth less that of than someone younger.

As long term unemployed "gamble with someone else's money rather than their own", would their opinions also be weighted less?

I know you're not like that, Lisa, but there are some who sneer at those who voted Leave for reasons such as that; "gammon", "racist" etc as if only the intellectually great and good who voted Remain know what they are doing.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:10 - Sep 8 with 886 viewslondonlisa2001

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:01 - Sep 8 by bluey_the_blue

"someone of that age is gambling with someone else’s money rather than their own" intimated their opinion is worth less that of than someone younger.

As long term unemployed "gamble with someone else's money rather than their own", would their opinions also be weighted less?

I know you're not like that, Lisa, but there are some who sneer at those who voted Leave for reasons such as that; "gammon", "racist" etc as if only the intellectually great and good who voted Remain know what they are doing.

It’s not intimating anything of the sort.

It’s a statement of fact.

If you are older than working age you are, by definition, a recipient at that point rather than a contributor (the odd exception being someone whose tax on private income from investment is higher than their receipts - that is very much a minority position).

People of that age are protected against economic uncertainty and collapse. Because of the lock. The lock could be withdrawn in theory, but even Corbyn hasn’t suggested it is.

No one is suggesting anyone’s opinion is weighted less for any reason. Age, employment status, whatever. I certainly haven’t. But the economics of the situation are what they are. Someone of 79 is never going to be economically active, and so they are not gambling their own money.

Stop making accusations Bluey. It’s really becoming annoying.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 14:11 - Sep 8 with 860 viewsHighjack

If only those racist thick economically unproductive old people would all snuff it then we’d be living in paradise with money pouring out of our pockets. The selfish c*nts.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 14:20 - Sep 8 with 852 viewsperchrockjack

Friends.
Both of you.
I have known known British politics to be putrid.

All parties seem fecked.

All leaders venal.

Johnson is beyond parody and clearly dangerous.

Cry the beloved country

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024