Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Wales vs Hungary Euro Qualifier (Second Place Decider) Match Thread 22:04 - Nov 16 with 20779 viewsjackharris

The Jackharris’ and (EDIT) Ryan Giggs Line-up!

[Post edited 19 Nov 2019 19:12]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Wales vs Hungary Euro Qualifier (Second Place Decider) Match Thread on 21:13 - Nov 21 with 696 viewssherpajacob

The Official Wales vs Hungary Euro Qualifier (Second Place Decider) Match Thread on 21:19 - Nov 20 by majorraglan

I was there that night, as you say very sad.

The stewards allowed the Scots to take their flags in to the ground whilst at the same time they stopped the Wales fans. We were on the Bob Bank, it was rammed and the police had a big cordon separating the Wales fans from Scottish fans who’d got tickets in our end.

In those days there were no mobiles and we weren’t aware that Jock Stein had been taken ill and died. As we walking along Sloper Road back to the railway station, an ambulance travelled through the crowd at low speed heading away from Ninian Park towards the city. I can remember the lights inside the ambulance were on and being able to see a couple of people in it, I could also see a tartan blanket. We learned about what had happened on the train home.

Always wondered if it was Jock Stein was in the ambulance.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 22:59]

There were a few Scots fans near us, we were on the Bob bank near halfway, but there was no hint of trouble, the feeling being , we are not English and we don't behave like the English. It was only a,few months after Heysel.

Atmosphere was good before the game, some Scots wanted to swap scarves and hats on the walk to the ground.

I'd bought a flag and at the ground a,policemen took it off me, separated the flag from the pole , kept the flag and handed me back the pole. Another officer then told him he was an idiot and made him swap the flag and pole with me.

As you say, when we got in, we looked across and saw all the Scots were waving their flags in the grange end.

We should have won that game by 2 or 3, but couldn't get the crucial 2nd goal.

I only found out about Jock Stein the next morning.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

The Official Wales vs Hungary Euro Qualifier (Second Place Decider) Match Thread on 23:24 - Nov 21 with 630 viewsKilkennyjack

The Official Wales vs Hungary Euro Qualifier (Second Place Decider) Match Thread on 18:09 - Nov 20 by bonymine

Totally agree Joey was outstanding last night and the ‘Wales, Chickens, Stoke’ song made me laugh a la Bale’s ‘Wales, Golf, Madrid’ Song 👍🤣🤣

My experiences of watching Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿⚽️ over the years are quite mixed, here are a few ;

I was at the infamous Yugoslavia quarter final at Cardiff in 1976 as an 11 year old kid with my Dad for my first ever Wales game and to this day I will never ever forget the Nazi Salutes and ‘Sieg Heil’ chants from the whole ground (Onion Park) aimed at the East German referee Rudi Glockner for his ‘performance’ that day it was a real eye opener for me.

Then I was behind the goal at the Racecourse when Sparky scored that amazing overhead kick against Spain in 1985, that was a great night I travelled up through mid Wales with some Swansea lads in the back of a transit van with a mattress in it for ‘our comfort’ !! Crazy days 🙈🤣

Being in the North Stand at the ‘old’ Cardiff Arms Park in 1993 when we got knocked out by Romania, Paul Bodin missing that penalty (hitting the bar) followed by that tragic incident when a Wales fan in the block next to me was killed by a flair fired from the opposite side of the stadium, a truly horrific night that was.

Drawing 0-0 with Russia at the Millenium Stadium in 2003 in the Play Off match was hugely frustrating when we were far too cautious but then I was fortunate enough to be at the Belgium match in Cardiff when we beat them in the Group on the way to France 2016 and more so in that same campaign enjoying a week in Cyprus in August 2015 with my now 80 year old Dad seeing us beat them 1-0 with Bale’s late winner, what a great week that was !! Seeing him standing up in the ground in Nicosia singing ‘Don’t take me home ...’ was so memorable 😂😂

Then on to last night when we qualified relatively comfortably in the end against a poor Hungary side, I enjoyed a great night in the Ricoh Suite with my Dad and sons listening to Peter Nicholas and Andrew Legg speaking (in between Nico necking numerous pints of Bow and Leggy acting as his ‘minder’ 🤣🤣) gave me such a buzz yet again and the Anthem was awesome.

Onwards and upwards now to Millwall home....it’s not such a bad life after all !!

Anyway, enough of me reminiscing any more stories/anectdotes of your own ‘Wales experiences’ lads & lasses ?

STID. Together Stronger 💪💪💪

Didn’t we lose to Russia 0-1 ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/wales/3275199.stm

Beware of the Risen People

The Official Wales vs Hungary Euro Qualifier (Second Place Decider) Match Thread on 09:56 - Nov 22 with 539 viewsAlgorfajack

The Official Wales vs Hungary Euro Qualifier (Second Place Decider) Match Thread on 23:24 - Nov 21 by Kilkennyjack

Didn’t we lose to Russia 0-1 ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/wales/3275199.stm

Yes, I think we were 0-1 half time & the Dick aka Mark Hughes waited until around the 60th minute before he brought on another striker.

Done the hard work in the first leg in Russia 0-0.

Prediction league winner 2016-2017 aka llanedeyrnjack

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024