Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
V-E day 12:50 - Apr 28 with 1505 viewsCatullus

It's not far off now, the 75th anniversary. People have had a habit of knocking our role in WW2, saying we didn't do as much as most people think but others think differently,

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ve-day-75-years-on-21929865

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

V-E day on 12:56 - Apr 28 with 1499 viewsHighjack

The Russians took the brunt of it and suffered more than any other country but if we weren’t standing firm the other side then Russia would have fell.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

V-E day on 13:04 - Apr 28 with 1488 viewsCatullus

V-E day on 12:56 - Apr 28 by Highjack

The Russians took the brunt of it and suffered more than any other country but if we weren’t standing firm the other side then Russia would have fell.

I hadn't really thought about it but as the article says, when the Germans needed more raw materials because of us, they had to attack Russia sooner than they wanted to.
If they had managed to beat us, invade and prevent us being a staging post for the USA they could have built up their forces before commencing Barbarossa. Maybe by then they would have perfected Jet engined fighters (ME 262) AND nuclear weapons/long range ballistic missiles and the world would lookvery different today.

Our part in it should never be underestimated.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 13:18]

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

V-E day on 13:14 - Apr 28 with 1468 viewsGaryjack

V-E day on 13:04 - Apr 28 by Catullus

I hadn't really thought about it but as the article says, when the Germans needed more raw materials because of us, they had to attack Russia sooner than they wanted to.
If they had managed to beat us, invade and prevent us being a staging post for the USA they could have built up their forces before commencing Barbarossa. Maybe by then they would have perfected Jet engined fighters (ME 262) AND nuclear weapons/long range ballistic missiles and the world would lookvery different today.

Our part in it should never be underestimated.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 13:18]

Hitler having nuclear weapons! It just doesn't bear thinking about does it!
V-E day on 13:59 - Apr 28 with 1431 viewsBest_loser

V-E day on 13:14 - Apr 28 by Garyjack

Hitler having nuclear weapons! It just doesn't bear thinking about does it!

Planet schwane forum
V-E day on 14:20 - Apr 28 with 1404 viewsCatullus

V-E day on 13:59 - Apr 28 by Best_loser

Planet schwane forum

Niemand mag einen klugen Arsch

V-E day on 14:35 - Apr 28 with 1378 viewsBest_loser

V-E day on 14:20 - Apr 28 by Catullus

Niemand mag einen klugen Arsch

Kanye west tut es
V-E day on 15:42 - Apr 28 with 1316 viewsLohengrin

V-E day on 12:56 - Apr 28 by Highjack

I doubt the Soviet vampyre continuing to brood for a further half century holding half the ancient capitals of Europe in its bloody maw was anybody’s idea of a good outcome.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

V-E day on 16:05 - Apr 28 with 1292 viewsHighjack

V-E day on 15:42 - Apr 28 by Lohengrin

I doubt the Soviet vampyre continuing to brood for a further half century holding half the ancient capitals of Europe in its bloody maw was anybody’s idea of a good outcome.

Of course not. The only thing that was good for was ladies shotput teams. Oh and David Hasselhoff did quite well out of it. But the numbers the Russians lost in the war is staggering, loads killed by their own leaders no doubt. And all the women raped as the German army rolled east, then raped again as the soviet army rolled west.

We can’t imagine the suffering today.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

V-E day on 17:00 - Apr 28 with 1238 viewsThrasher6

The exact numbers of Russian dead in WW2 is difficult to pin down exactly but it varies from 20 million to up to 27 million. Pause for a moment and think of that number...it's staggering. The books I've read on the Russian front really do tell a tale of unimaginable suffering.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 17:06]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

V-E day on 21:40 - Apr 28 with 1138 viewsCatullus

V-E day on 17:00 - Apr 28 by Thrasher6

The exact numbers of Russian dead in WW2 is difficult to pin down exactly but it varies from 20 million to up to 27 million. Pause for a moment and think of that number...it's staggering. The books I've read on the Russian front really do tell a tale of unimaginable suffering.

Including cannibalism,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/world-history/newly-discovered-diaries-

utterly terrifying. I couldn't eat my dog let alone a person, I can't imagine being that desperate.

V-E day on 22:56 - Apr 28 with 1082 viewsFieryJack

Right enough.

UK deaths - civilian & military - in WW2 are estimated at 800,000.

Russian dead at the appalling Battle of Stalingrad, which has been referred to as the most hellish, horrific battle in human history, estimated at 480,000.
V-E day on 23:00 - Apr 28 with 1078 viewsBest_loser

V-E day on 22:56 - Apr 28 by FieryJack

Right enough.

Russian dead at the appalling Battle of Stalingrad, which has been referred to as the most hellish, horrific battle in human history, estimated at 480,000.

That was the pivotal battle of the war, some estimate 2 million died in it, including 300,000 Romanians on the German side
V-E day on 23:04 - Apr 28 with 1070 viewsairedale

V-E day on 16:05 - Apr 28 by Highjack

Of course not. The only thing that was good for was ladies shotput teams. Oh and David Hasselhoff did quite well out of it. But the numbers the Russians lost in the war is staggering, loads killed by their own leaders no doubt. And all the women raped as the German army rolled east, then raped again as the soviet army rolled west.

We can’t imagine the suffering today.

Yeah, all those women thinking you can’t find a good rapist these days for love nor money.
V-E day on 23:10 - Apr 28 with 1063 viewsairedale

I used to read Sven Hassel novel in the 1970s, written from the German soldiers perspective, and the tales about the Russian campaign were horrific. Russian military, inclusive of men and women, coming at you until they got a result.

Not a nation you’d want to cross if you knew what was good for you.
V-E day on 23:15 - Apr 28 with 1057 viewsFieryJack

V-E day on 23:00 - Apr 28 by Best_loser

That was the pivotal battle of the war, some estimate 2 million died in it, including 300,000 Romanians on the German side

That's right. Italians in the mix as well.

Just read that 91,000 German POWs were transported away from that battle after the Soviet victory, but only 5,000 of them ever made it back to their homeland alive - and that wasn't until 1955 - twelve years after the battle ended, ffs!
V-E day on 23:40 - Apr 28 with 1032 viewsairedale

V-E day on 23:15 - Apr 28 by FieryJack

That's right. Italians in the mix as well.

Just read that 91,000 German POWs were transported away from that battle after the Soviet victory, but only 5,000 of them ever made it back to their homeland alive - and that wasn't until 1955 - twelve years after the battle ended, ffs!

I worked with a German woman who’s father was a Russian POW, and he stayed in Germany cos he’d have been ended if he’d gone back home.
V-E day on 09:16 - Apr 29 with 948 viewsFieryJack

V-E day on 23:40 - Apr 28 by airedale

I worked with a German woman who’s father was a Russian POW, and he stayed in Germany cos he’d have been ended if he’d gone back home.

He did the right thing - thousands of Russian POWs who returned home were tortured/murdered, or otherwise never heard of again. They were deemed to be traitors or collaborators in some way.

Can you imagine us treating our returning POWs like that?
V-E day on 10:18 - Apr 29 with 918 viewsCatullus

V-E day on 23:10 - Apr 28 by airedale

I used to read Sven Hassel novel in the 1970s, written from the German soldiers perspective, and the tales about the Russian campaign were horrific. Russian military, inclusive of men and women, coming at you until they got a result.

Not a nation you’d want to cross if you knew what was good for you.

The Russians didn't forget or forgive the atrocities the Germans committed. Yet ironically they did some really bad schit themselves, not just to the Germans because that was revenge but the stuff they did to Poland and obviously then during the cold war.

V-E day on 10:27 - Apr 29 with 912 viewsDr_Winston

V-E day on 22:56 - Apr 28 by FieryJack

Right enough.

The UK figure is a bit high. Most estimates I've seen come out at under 500,000.

The Battle of Stalingrad was horrendous though. The book that The Enemy at the Gates is based on is worth a read.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

V-E day on 10:42 - Apr 29 with 907 viewsCatullus

V-E day on 10:27 - Apr 29 by Dr_Winston

The UK figure is a bit high. Most estimates I've seen come out at under 500,000.

The Battle of Stalingrad was horrendous though. The book that The Enemy at the Gates is based on is worth a read.

I hope the book is better than the film, the film is quite entertaining but has it's share of nonsense in it.
Why do they always feel the need to try and make films more dramatic and bloodthirsty when the true stories are enough?
Vasili Zaitsev wasn't an uneducated dolt from the country, he was an accountant, they didn't have Russians machine gunning Russians if they retreated. Lots of films have digs or misrepresent facts, Saving Private Ryan, U571, Braveheart and often it's to make the US look better and/or to make other countries look bad.

V-E day on 11:08 - Apr 29 with 894 viewsDr_Winston

V-E day on 10:42 - Apr 29 by Catullus

I hope the book is better than the film, the film is quite entertaining but has it's share of nonsense in it.
Why do they always feel the need to try and make films more dramatic and bloodthirsty when the true stories are enough?
Vasili Zaitsev wasn't an uneducated dolt from the country, he was an accountant, they didn't have Russians machine gunning Russians if they retreated. Lots of films have digs or misrepresent facts, Saving Private Ryan, U571, Braveheart and often it's to make the US look better and/or to make other countries look bad.

The "Not One Step Back" policy certainly existed at the time of the Battle of Stalingrad, although from memory it was only used against certain penal battalions rather than just any soldiers as seen in the film.

Cinema is cinema. Treat it like entertainment and it's fine. Problem comes when people believe it's all true.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

V-E day on 13:46 - Apr 29 with 853 viewsCatullus

V-E day on 11:08 - Apr 29 by Dr_Winston

The "Not One Step Back" policy certainly existed at the time of the Battle of Stalingrad, although from memory it was only used against certain penal battalions rather than just any soldiers as seen in the film.

Cinema is cinema. Treat it like entertainment and it's fine. Problem comes when people believe it's all true.

Oh yes, they had the policy but it wasn't as portrayed in the film and what you say about people believing it is part of the problem, some people's view of history is as taught by Hollywood.

Hollywood puts out a film about a true story but has to dress it up, like I said, the truth is usually enough.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024