Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aldi lemon and herb Basa 17:49 - May 29 with 1228 viewsCountyJim

What a lovely tasting fish and less than 2 quid for 2 portions

Love my fish got to be fair its up there

Can't beat a catfish
Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 17:53 - May 29 with 1220 viewsairedale

I used to buy bass Jim, I thought it was excellent value. Then I researched where it came from and discovered that it’s one of the most polluted places on the planet. Can’t remember exactly where, could be Vietnam.
Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 17:59 - May 29 with 1214 viewskrunchykarrot

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 17:53 - May 29 by airedale

I used to buy bass Jim, I thought it was excellent value. Then I researched where it came from and discovered that it’s one of the most polluted places on the planet. Can’t remember exactly where, could be Vietnam.

Full of anti-biotics if i remember correctly. Although i think it is now farmed in the new Forest area and also NZ.
Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 18:05 - May 29 with 1207 viewsairedale

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 17:59 - May 29 by krunchykarrot

Full of anti-biotics if i remember correctly. Although i think it is now farmed in the new Forest area and also NZ.

Oh cool, I’ll check Country of Origin on the packaging next time I’m down there and if its those I’ll put it back on the list cos we really enjoyed it. Smoked or white.

Just found this

https://www.timescolonist.com/life/ask-eric-is-it-safe-to-eat-imported-basa-fish
[Post edited 29 May 2020 18:16]
Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 18:27 - May 29 with 1186 viewsdickythorpe

I always wondered why it's so cheap, the 3 eyes and pointy ears it has should have set alarms bells ringing in my head
Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 18:57 - May 29 with 1163 viewsScotia

The lemon Sole is beautiful too.

A lot of Bass (not Basa) is farmed off kefalonia too. I had a lovely evening spinning for the escapees in Fiskardo harbour. I'll go back one day, hopefully.
Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 19:08 - May 29 with 1145 viewsairedale

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 18:57 - May 29 by Scotia

The lemon Sole is beautiful too.

A lot of Bass (not Basa) is farmed off kefalonia too. I had a lovely evening spinning for the escapees in Fiskardo harbour. I'll go back one day, hopefully.

Making blankets for them were you Scotia?
Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 19:17 - May 29 with 1141 viewsThrasher6

I love Dorada here....basically a sea bream. A beautiful fish...

Edit: As previous poster mentioned...Lemon Sole is fantastic
[Post edited 29 May 2020 19:31]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 20:35 - May 29 with 1104 viewsjack2jack

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 17:53 - May 29 by airedale

Exactly what we thought, we bought it once, and did some research, never touched it since, it was nice though.
https://www.timescolonist.com/life/ask-eric-is-it-safe-to-eat-imported-basa-fish
Login to get fewer ads

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 20:14 - May 30 with 974 viewsBarrySwan

I read an article years go in a national paper giving an account of the journalists experience of examining the prawn farming industry in Vietnam.

The industry described was basically a cottage industry in many villages and the journalist described his horror at the conditions of the pools sitting literally just outside the doors of the villagers shacks and seeing a villager approach his own murky filthy looking pond type enclosure and pour a load of Chinese made antibiotic powder described as 'Golden Health' or something similar in garishly coloured labelling on the tin into the murky depths every morning.

I forget the rest of the report which continued in a similar vein and have always inspected the source of origin of prawns before purchase ever since and only buy ocean caught by trawler ones. As most people will probably be aware the majority of prawns in supermarket meals or sold on their own in bags in the supermarkets emanate from the Far East including Vietnam and neighbouring countries.
[Post edited 30 May 2020 20:16]
Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 21:02 - May 30 with 932 viewslonglostjack

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 20:14 - May 30 by BarrySwan

I read an article years go in a national paper giving an account of the journalists experience of examining the prawn farming industry in Vietnam.

The industry described was basically a cottage industry in many villages and the journalist described his horror at the conditions of the pools sitting literally just outside the doors of the villagers shacks and seeing a villager approach his own murky filthy looking pond type enclosure and pour a load of Chinese made antibiotic powder described as 'Golden Health' or something similar in garishly coloured labelling on the tin into the murky depths every morning.

I forget the rest of the report which continued in a similar vein and have always inspected the source of origin of prawns before purchase ever since and only buy ocean caught by trawler ones. As most people will probably be aware the majority of prawns in supermarket meals or sold on their own in bags in the supermarkets emanate from the Far East including Vietnam and neighbouring countries.
[Post edited 30 May 2020 20:16]

Now the UK are leaving the EU they’ll be able to do fantastic trade deals to get even cheaper food. I’m really envious.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 21:03 - May 30 with 930 viewslonglostjack

The colder the water, the better the fish.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 21:46 - May 30 with 910 viewsBrynCartwright

I'm quite partial to the plain old haddock steaks in batter you get in Tesco, but where, o where have the whole trout packs gone? There used to be 2 whole fish in a pack.

They used to have them about 10 years ago. I don't see them anywhere now.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 22:10 - May 30 with 897 viewsdickythorpe

Sea bass now Bryn.
Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 22:26 - May 30 with 890 viewsBrynCartwright

Aldi lemon and herb Basa on 22:10 - May 30 by dickythorpe

Sea bass now Bryn.

Bass is OK, but the fillets are so TINY compared to one of those whole old trout, and trout tastes better in my opinion. Am looking at local trout farms now on line!

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024