Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? 14:37 - Jun 6 with 5025 viewsCatullus

My son wants a gaming PC. Like many kids these days I guess, an Xbox just isn't good enough by itself.
I've looked into it, checked out PC world and a website called Cyberpower who build cutom rigs.
Has anyone got any recommendations or ideas? We're looking at round £600/700, nothing too posh.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:39 - Jun 6 with 3929 viewsHighjack

Don’t go to pc world or currys or any of them. Massively overpriced and they fill it with all sorts of shite that you will never need.

Build it yourself, it’ll be a good project and bonding experience for you and your boy.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:47 - Jun 6 with 3908 viewsCatullus

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:39 - Jun 6 by Highjack

Don’t go to pc world or currys or any of them. Massively overpriced and they fill it with all sorts of shite that you will never need.

Build it yourself, it’ll be a good project and bonding experience for you and your boy.

We've talked about building one but I'm clueless, I wouldn't know where to start. I looked online to try and get an idea of what's needed but I'd rather pay someone to do it so I have someone to blame if it doesn't work

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 10:11 - Jun 7 with 3838 viewsSoberBaker

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:47 - Jun 6 by Catullus

We've talked about building one but I'm clueless, I wouldn't know where to start. I looked online to try and get an idea of what's needed but I'd rather pay someone to do it so I have someone to blame if it doesn't work

Highjack is correct - get one custom built.

Call Richard @ https://fusion-computer-services.co.uk/

Can't recommend him enough for any nerd stuff I can't manage 👍

AMOW

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:35 - Jun 7 with 3798 viewsCatullus

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 10:11 - Jun 7 by SoberBaker

Highjack is correct - get one custom built.

Call Richard @ https://fusion-computer-services.co.uk/

Can't recommend him enough for any nerd stuff I can't manage 👍

Thank you very much SB

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:38 - Jun 7 with 3796 viewseddie71

This guys built mine, cracking job and came with a three year warranty.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/custom-pc/
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:56 - Jun 7 with 3786 viewsCatullus

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:38 - Jun 7 by eddie71

This guys built mine, cracking job and came with a three year warranty.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/custom-pc/

Thank you very much too Eddie

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 15:42 - Jun 7 with 3770 viewsDr_Winston

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 14:39 - Jun 6 by Highjack

Have they moved on much from the old ATX standard?

Never built one from scratch but I've done some upgrading in the past. Pondering a self-build for my next one.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:23 - Jun 7 with 3739 viewsJimmyGilligan

Custom PC's is definitely the way to go. Have had two PC's built by https://www.dinopc.com
Don't buy one off the shelf in PC World and the like.

What type of games is he wanting to play is something you'll want to consider. If he just wants to play games like fortnite you'll be ok at that price range I think. They will struggle with the latest and upcoming games like cyberpunk 2077 though.

Good thing about custom PC's are that the parts are upgradeable though, making them a much better investment than a console that'll be outdated within a few years, and you'll just have to fork out for the latest one they release, and use the old one as a paperweight.

If I was buying one now I'd go with one of the latest I5's 12-16gb ram & one of the newest nvidia graphics cards. Although my 1070 still runs everything I throw at it. I'd also put an SSD in there, makes loading lightning fast.
Login to get fewer ads

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:31 - Jun 7 with 3728 viewsBanosswan

Aren't the next gen consoles at the end of the year going to be similar for a lower price?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:39 - Jun 7 with 3719 viewsJimmyGilligan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:31 - Jun 7 by Banosswan

Aren't the next gen consoles at the end of the year going to be similar for a lower price?

Gaming PCs will always be several steps ahead of any console; i've heard the PS5 gpu will be equivalent to a gtx 2080, which has been out for 2 years.
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 20:39 - Jun 7 with 3671 viewsDJack

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 15:42 - Jun 7 by Dr_Winston

Have they moved on much from the old ATX standard?

Never built one from scratch but I've done some upgrading in the past. Pondering a self-build for my next one.

If you've done some upgrading then a self build is easy enough. Work out your budget for the build or what you are prepared to spend on each individual item and plan accordingly. My machine was a self build when the 6th gen processors came out. My only hairy moments were flashing the BIOS (UEFI). If you've got the cash a Samsung NVME SSD is a must a - I know of noboby who regrets splashing out on one.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 21:08 - Jun 7 with 3653 viewsDr_Winston

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 20:39 - Jun 7 by DJack

If you've done some upgrading then a self build is easy enough. Work out your budget for the build or what you are prepared to spend on each individual item and plan accordingly. My machine was a self build when the 6th gen processors came out. My only hairy moments were flashing the BIOS (UEFI). If you've got the cash a Samsung NVME SSD is a must a - I know of noboby who regrets splashing out on one.

I was leaning toward a SSD for the OS. I keep most stuff backed up on external HD's so the idea of booting from a SSD appeals to me.

Only thing I never really got my head around was motherboard/RAM compatibility. It's probably pretty straightforward once you do the research but I've never got round to cracking it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 21:31 - Jun 7 with 3633 viewsDJack

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 21:08 - Jun 7 by Dr_Winston

I was leaning toward a SSD for the OS. I keep most stuff backed up on external HD's so the idea of booting from a SSD appeals to me.

Only thing I never really got my head around was motherboard/RAM compatibility. It's probably pretty straightforward once you do the research but I've never got round to cracking it.

Aye, I've an NVME for OS and programs and a Western Digital Black HDD for all files.

For the MB pick the one for the latest socket type and you don't have to spend on the latest/fastest processor until you upgrade when you have spare cash - I love ASUS motherboards, pricey but always worth the extra money.

Graphics card depends on need and your budget. Again you can upgrade at a later date - a good idea is to spend on processor one year then two years later invest in the "best" graphics card for your needs. Two more years down the line if available upgrade your processor or maybe MB and processor. The caveat here is that you do this if you are wanting to game/video edit with the lastest stuff - tick/tock.

My processor was the latest and fastest Intel one and my GPU was the same as an AMD one - I've not changed/upgraded either since I did my build as I've not had the need to.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 22:03 - Jun 7 with 3626 viewslonglostjack

Get an Intel 7 or 9 latest generation or AMD processor equivalent. Curtesy of my games obsessed son. Any further info you need PM me. I‘ll pass the questions on.

Edit. Djack sound like your man
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 22:05]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 22:12 - Jun 7 with 3609 viewsJimmyGilligan

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 22:03 - Jun 7 by longlostjack

Get an Intel 7 or 9 latest generation or AMD processor equivalent. Curtesy of my games obsessed son. Any further info you need PM me. I‘ll pass the questions on.

Edit. Djack sound like your man
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 22:05]

If you can find either of those for under a grand buy it immediately

On second thoughts don't because its probably stolen
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 22:14]
Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 22:22 - Jun 7 with 3593 viewsDJack

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 22:12 - Jun 7 by JimmyGilligan

If you can find either of those for under a grand buy it immediately

On second thoughts don't because its probably stolen
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 22:14]

That's the problem with gaming (the latest titles), you need to spend a lot of cash (initially) and then be a little savvy with your upgrading.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 23:33 - Jun 7 with 3566 viewsGaryjack

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 22:22 - Jun 7 by DJack

That's the problem with gaming (the latest titles), you need to spend a lot of cash (initially) and then be a little savvy with your upgrading.

I bought one of these the other day. Awesome, what will they think of next.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 23:43 - Jun 7 with 3554 viewsBrynCartwright

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 23:33 - Jun 7 by Garyjack

I bought one of these the other day. Awesome, what will they think of next.

I was going to say.!ZX Spectrum beats Commodore 64 hands down! Yep it's older tech, but so many more programmers writing for it!

Crash magazine is brilliant too! Those wags in Ludlow!!

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 09:00 - Jun 8 with 3513 viewsDr_Winston

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 21:31 - Jun 7 by DJack

Aye, I've an NVME for OS and programs and a Western Digital Black HDD for all files.

For the MB pick the one for the latest socket type and you don't have to spend on the latest/fastest processor until you upgrade when you have spare cash - I love ASUS motherboards, pricey but always worth the extra money.

Graphics card depends on need and your budget. Again you can upgrade at a later date - a good idea is to spend on processor one year then two years later invest in the "best" graphics card for your needs. Two more years down the line if available upgrade your processor or maybe MB and processor. The caveat here is that you do this if you are wanting to game/video edit with the lastest stuff - tick/tock.

My processor was the latest and fastest Intel one and my GPU was the same as an AMD one - I've not changed/upgraded either since I did my build as I've not had the need to.

It's not going to be for any major specific use other than a bit of photo editing. I'm not a gamer so won't need anything extreme.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 09:38 - Jun 8 with 3491 viewsJackSomething

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:23 - Jun 7 by JimmyGilligan

Custom PC's is definitely the way to go. Have had two PC's built by https://www.dinopc.com

What type of games is he wanting to play is something you'll want to consider. If he just wants to play games like fortnite you'll be ok at that price range I think. They will struggle with the latest and upcoming games like cyberpunk 2077 though.

Good thing about custom PC's are that the parts are upgradeable though, making them a much better investment than a console that'll be outdated within a few years, and you'll just have to fork out for the latest one they release, and use the old one as a paperweight.

If I was buying one now I'd go with one of the latest I5's 12-16gb ram & one of the newest nvidia graphics cards. Although my 1070 still runs everything I throw at it. I'd also put an SSD in there, makes loading lightning fast.

As someone who has recently invested in a lovely new gaming PC and has a PS4 Pro, you're being a bit hard on consoles as an investment there.

The 'outdated within a few years' argument is not really true. The PS4 will have been out for 7 years (Nov 2013) by the time the PS5 comes out near the end of this year. There was the Pro and One X midway through the console generation, but those were upgrades rather than new consoles and entirely optional as the original consoles play all new releases. A PC bought 7 years ago is not going to be able to play practically any new games without time and money being spent upgrading it.

I got my Pro to replace my original PS4 around a year after it came out and only paid around £360 for it, which included 3 games, 2 of which were new releases I wanted anyway (RDR2 and Spiderman). I also sold my original PS4 for £120, making it an even better deal.

Whereas the cost of keeping a gaming PC capable of playing new releases can be very high. Easier if you know what you're doing of course, but still not cheap. Plus the initial cost to have one capable of playing the highest spec games as you mentioned. Whereas a console can give you the peace of mind of knowing it will play any game you buy for it straight out of the box (usually after a lengthy download of patches/updates of course).

I love my PC for certain games and my PS4 for other games, plus of course my PC is good for many other things than playing games, but consoles are still pretty damn good.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 09:40 - Jun 8 with 3491 viewsCatullus

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 17:23 - Jun 7 by JimmyGilligan

Good guess Jimmy, right now it's fortnite. The other attraction is as you say, the option to upgrade.

We want software so he can do schoolwork too, he'll be in Comp next year.

Thank you everybody for your help, it's very much appreciated

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 10:00 - Jun 8 with 3479 viewsCatullus

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 09:38 - Jun 8 by JackSomething

As someone who has recently invested in a lovely new gaming PC and has a PS4 Pro, you're being a bit hard on consoles as an investment there.

The 'outdated within a few years' argument is not really true. The PS4 will have been out for 7 years (Nov 2013) by the time the PS5 comes out near the end of this year. There was the Pro and One X midway through the console generation, but those were upgrades rather than new consoles and entirely optional as the original consoles play all new releases. A PC bought 7 years ago is not going to be able to play practically any new games without time and money being spent upgrading it.

I got my Pro to replace my original PS4 around a year after it came out and only paid around £360 for it, which included 3 games, 2 of which were new releases I wanted anyway (RDR2 and Spiderman). I also sold my original PS4 for £120, making it an even better deal.

Whereas the cost of keeping a gaming PC capable of playing new releases can be very high. Easier if you know what you're doing of course, but still not cheap. Plus the initial cost to have one capable of playing the highest spec games as you mentioned. Whereas a console can give you the peace of mind of knowing it will play any game you buy for it straight out of the box (usually after a lengthy download of patches/updates of course).

I love my PC for certain games and my PS4 for other games, plus of course my PC is good for many other things than playing games, but consoles are still pretty damn good.

We'd be happy to get him a new console but he's got an Xbox X and we still have the PS4. We got him a laptop 2 years back so he could do schoolwork on it and it's been useful for Hwb but he uses it more to watch youtube!

So when we talked about a PC and he asked about a gaming machine we thought we could kill 2 birds with one stone. The downside for him is, a new ganing PC for Christmas will mean no other presents!

While I'm here, he has trouble with his Xbox controller, the aiming target/dot whatever keeps drifting up. He can't snipe and he loves sniping, sneaky so and so! Any suggestions?

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 10:37 - Jun 8 with 3464 viewsHighjack

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 10:00 - Jun 8 by Catullus

We'd be happy to get him a new console but he's got an Xbox X and we still have the PS4. We got him a laptop 2 years back so he could do schoolwork on it and it's been useful for Hwb but he uses it more to watch youtube!

So when we talked about a PC and he asked about a gaming machine we thought we could kill 2 birds with one stone. The downside for him is, a new ganing PC for Christmas will mean no other presents!

While I'm here, he has trouble with his Xbox controller, the aiming target/dot whatever keeps drifting up. He can't snipe and he loves sniping, sneaky so and so! Any suggestions?

There should be an option in the settings to adjust the dead zone which should help stick drift. If that doesn’t work it’s new controller time.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 10:51 - Jun 8 with 3450 viewsCatullus

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 10:37 - Jun 8 by Highjack

There should be an option in the settings to adjust the dead zone which should help stick drift. If that doesn’t work it’s new controller time.

Thanks HJ, we looked in settings but couldn't sort it out. New controller it is then!

Any PC/Gaming PC experts on here? on 11:04 - Jun 8 with 3442 viewsairedale

What is the best online source for bits these days. The last punter I assembled was a Shuttle Small Form Factor with a water cooled Pentium 3.

I used to use Dabs.com as a good source, and I used to really enjoy browsing those sorts of sites in those days, better than porn.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024