Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Swansea Arena... 14:41 - Jun 12 with 13509 viewsymaohyd

I'm enjoying driving past and seeing the new arena being built and the development across the road.

Don't know if anyone can answer a few questions.

Are then any plans to do something with the remaining St David's shopping centre (Where Iceland is) ?

Will they be knocking down St David's car park?

For the former, can't believe that they haven't knocked it down...it looks hideous. Typical Swansea, brand new development and right next to it a run down, empty practically derelict building! That part of town should now be one of the more attractive areas to own a retail business/cafe once the arena and new shops are finished?!

As for the car park, with the car park being built alongside the arena and the new multi storey opposite, seems pointless having a run down cesspit of a car park. I've seen some pictures of the new development, going back a few years and where the car park is , looks like a parkland area?

Anyone in the know can shed come light?

Thank you

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

New Swansea Arena... on 14:45 - Jun 16 with 1620 viewsgadgetuk

New Swansea Arena... on 14:41 - Jun 16 by Landore_Jack

There was talk of re-opening Landore Station and Cockett station but I haven't heard anything for a long time. Are these projects dead in the water?

Doesn't look like it : https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/new-railway-stations-wales-governmen
New Swansea Arena... on 14:55 - Jun 16 with 1609 viewsLandore_Jack

New Swansea Arena... on 10:58 - Jun 16 by Vincent_Vega

I’m the first to bash the council on developments And they don’t help themselves but some of the failed developments were hit by ‘external factors. Remember the SA1 and marina development proposed right before The 2008 crash? The boulevard scheme right before 2010 austerity cuts? The proposed barrage, electrification of railway lines and bay city region right before the brexit vote? Also I do love that they propose a big development to regenerate the city right before an election being assembly or general. Like clockwork.

Lets not forget the Welsh government spent the money ring-fenced for SA1 marina and redistrbuted it to other areas in Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19443309
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 12:19]

#backtojack

New Swansea Arena... on 15:03 - Jun 16 with 1597 viewsLandore_Jack

New Swansea Arena... on 14:45 - Jun 16 by gadgetuk

Doesn't look like it : https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/new-railway-stations-wales-governmen

The re-opening of Landore station is a no brainer. Especially for the Liberty and the number of people living in the area.

#backtojack

New Swansea Arena... on 18:11 - Jun 16 with 1555 viewsKGriz16

Drove through town the other day to have a look at it, wonderful. I'm really excited by the investment into the town/bay area. Fingers crossed, they chuck a darts tournament in there from the PDC. I would love that and I think it would be a money spinner.
New Swansea Arena... on 18:14 - Jun 16 with 1549 viewsEbo

The building opposite by St David’s are going to be apartments (not student ones). The residential home is coming down in the next 12 months to make way for a green public space.

And yes, there will be an underground car park at the arena but as far as I know it’s for guests, staff, vip’s etc so Darran can park his Bentley in there.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

New Swansea Arena... on 18:21 - Jun 16 with 1540 viewsLandore_Jack

Anyone know if the council are planning to demolish the rest of St Davids shopping Centre which include Iceland and the former Cranes store?

#backtojack

New Swansea Arena... on 18:29 - Jun 16 with 1532 viewsSwansea93

New Swansea Arena... on 18:21 - Jun 16 by Landore_Jack

Anyone know if the council are planning to demolish the rest of St Davids shopping Centre which include Iceland and the former Cranes store?

I'm sure that's the plan that's why Cranes shut down, I'm sure a hotel and flats are going there, could be wrong

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

New Swansea Arena... on 19:38 - Jun 16 with 1509 viewsgadgetuk

Yup, what is going up at the moment is phase 1 which is the arena with underground car park and city park on one side connected via a new passenger bridge to the development on the other side with is part multi storey car park, part accommodation with some retail (I think). Phase 2 will involve demolition of the sheltered housing, st davids car park and the remainder of what was the st david's shopping centre and creation of new accommodation, shopping and public space (with a rumour of an imax cinema). They need to finish the new car parks before demolishing the old one

https://www.swansea.gov.uk/centralnorthdevelopment

[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 19:42]
Login to get fewer ads

New Swansea Arena... on 23:01 - Jun 16 with 1429 viewsEbo

New Swansea Arena... on 18:29 - Jun 16 by Swansea93

I'm sure that's the plan that's why Cranes shut down, I'm sure a hotel and flats are going there, could be wrong

Cranes closed both stores in Swansea and Cardiff, re-development had nothing to do with their closure.

What I have heard is that the building where Cranes is and Iceland will go and also the buildings opposite up as far as New Look.

They are already building apartments next to St David which is getting knocked down along with the residential home in the next 12 months,

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

New Swansea Arena... on 23:18 - Jun 16 with 1410 viewsKilkennyjack

New Swansea Arena... on 10:42 - Jun 16 by felixstowe_jack

The Welsh assembly can call it self whatever it likes but that does not make it parliament.
A horse could call it self a cow but it is still a horse. Swansea Council could call itself a Parliament but it is still a council.

Parliamentary sovereignty is a principle of the UK constitution. It makes Parliament the supreme legal authority in the UK, which can create or end any law.

Therefore there is only one Parliament in the UK.

I cant resist ...

You calling our new Welsh Parliament an Assembly, does not make it an Assembly.
You can call a dog a cat, but it does not make it a cat.

There are 3 Parliaments on the island of Great Britain.
Comrade Nicola refers, as well as Professor Drakeford.
Dom Cummings appears to run the other one .. 🤷‍♂️

(There only needs to be one Parliament on the island of Ireland though, will be soon).

Beware of the Risen People

New Swansea Arena... on 09:59 - Jun 17 with 1337 viewsfelixstowe_jack

New Swansea Arena... on 23:18 - Jun 16 by Kilkennyjack

I cant resist ...

You calling our new Welsh Parliament an Assembly, does not make it an Assembly.
You can call a dog a cat, but it does not make it a cat.

There are 3 Parliaments on the island of Great Britain.
Comrade Nicola refers, as well as Professor Drakeford.
Dom Cummings appears to run the other one .. 🤷‍♂️

(There only needs to be one Parliament on the island of Ireland though, will be soon).

If the people of NI agree to join with the republic in a referendum I have arguement with that. It will save the rest of the UK a fortune in tax and will mean the EU will have to hand out even more money. Not sure the guardia will be able to cope with the extra violence tho.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

New Swansea Arena... on 11:14 - Jun 17 with 1306 viewsVincent_Vega

New Swansea Arena... on 14:45 - Jun 16 by gadgetuk

What a surprise

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

New Swansea Arena... on 11:21 - Jun 17 with 1304 viewsVincent_Vega

New Swansea Arena... on 14:55 - Jun 16 by Landore_Jack

Lets not forget the Welsh government spent the money ring-fenced for SA1 marina and redistrbuted it to other areas in Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19443309
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 12:19]

Oh yes the docks, forgot about that one too. Didn’t they try to justify not investing in refurbing One of the docks into a marina Even though most of the infrastructure was in place and only the dock gate needed work? The current marina was full at the time (I could be wrong on that one) or near full so demand was there but they chose to reinvest the money elsewhere... *cough Cardiff *cough

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

New Swansea Arena... on 12:16 - Jun 17 with 1279 viewswestside

They have started work on the new marina for SA1 in the prince of wales by piling what will be the new basin for boats exiting/entering the new lock.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2020 12:17]
New Swansea Arena... on 23:48 - Jun 17 with 1207 viewswestside

Arena plans showing seat layout with loose seats on floor, rectractable seats behind and fixed seats above

https://property.swansea.gov.uk/online-applications/files/6FC54812F88033EA8D62AD

All planning documents
https://property.swansea.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?active
New Swansea Arena... on 12:17 - Jun 19 with 1088 viewsLandore_Jack

One day I hope Tesco will re-locate. An eye-sore building that is in the wrong location.

#backtojack

New Swansea Arena... on 14:06 - Jun 19 with 1047 viewskrunchykarrot

New Swansea Arena... on 12:17 - Jun 19 by Landore_Jack

One day I hope Tesco will re-locate. An eye-sore building that is in the wrong location.

Didn't this win awards for its design even though employees were broiled daily? You cant blame the architects though, who would have thought that putting a supermarket in what is basically a greenhouse wouldn't work.
New Swansea Arena... on 14:30 - Jun 19 with 1030 viewsLandore_Jack

New Swansea Arena... on 14:06 - Jun 19 by krunchykarrot

Didn't this win awards for its design even though employees were broiled daily? You cant blame the architects though, who would have thought that putting a supermarket in what is basically a greenhouse wouldn't work.

Somebody once told me that Swansea Council turned down the application request from Tesco. They appealed to Welsh Assemmbey and got the decision overturned.

#backtojack

New Swansea Arena... on 15:19 - Jun 19 with 1009 viewsgadgetuk

New Swansea Arena... on 14:30 - Jun 19 by Landore_Jack

Somebody once told me that Swansea Council turned down the application request from Tesco. They appealed to Welsh Assemmbey and got the decision overturned.

I think the decision to put Tesco there is what made people accuse the council of taking backhanders.

It was probably the most important site in terms of regeneration of the city centre and would have been key in connecting the city to the sea yet we end up with a fugly supermarket being built.
New Swansea Arena... on 15:25 - Jun 19 with 1002 viewsBatterseajack

Yes, very much so. From what i've seen, its a great move to get quality employment down here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024