Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Swansea Arena... 14:41 - Jun 12 with 14005 viewsymaohyd

I'm enjoying driving past and seeing the new arena being built and the development across the road.

Don't know if anyone can answer a few questions.

Are then any plans to do something with the remaining St David's shopping centre (Where Iceland is) ?

Will they be knocking down St David's car park?

For the former, can't believe that they haven't knocked it down...it looks hideous. Typical Swansea, brand new development and right next to it a run down, empty practically derelict building! That part of town should now be one of the more attractive areas to own a retail business/cafe once the arena and new shops are finished?!

As for the car park, with the car park being built alongside the arena and the new multi storey opposite, seems pointless having a run down cesspit of a car park. I've seen some pictures of the new development, going back a few years and where the car park is , looks like a parkland area?

Anyone in the know can shed come light?

Thank you

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

New Swansea Arena... on 10:09 - Jun 13 with 1776 viewsjack247

New Swansea Arena... on 09:47 - Jun 13 by Jinxy

Cardiff seemed to have a vision though didn't they? I think Russell Goodway had a lot to do with it. They had a theme in mind, and it all seemed to link together - the barrage/bay, city centre, Millennium centre and so on.

I know they attract and get more funding, but in Swansea it's a Morecambe and Wise scenario - none of the notes are in the right order. Bits and pieces everywhere. A guy I engaged in planning years ago (he'd worked with all the local councils within planning) told me the reasons included in-fighting at SCC - also people driving projects perhaps for selfish/political gain reasons. I do fear we'll end up with another patchwork quilt. Based on history, I have zero confidence they'll get this one right, but hope I'm wrong.

So do we just not bother getting behind anything in Swansea until it has a comparable infrastructure to Cardiffs? It’s attitudes like Dwights (I know he’s just on here for kicks, but plenty of people in Swansea think in that defeatist manner) that have held us back for years.
New Swansea Arena... on 10:37 - Jun 13 with 1734 viewsJinxy

New Swansea Arena... on 10:09 - Jun 13 by jack247

So do we just not bother getting behind anything in Swansea until it has a comparable infrastructure to Cardiffs? It’s attitudes like Dwights (I know he’s just on here for kicks, but plenty of people in Swansea think in that defeatist manner) that have held us back for years.

I think most sensible people are, or would be, behind a co-ordinated development. My observations (they are simply that) are centred around the historic lack of cohesion and fearful anticipation of how the money will be spent. I may be wrong, but was it not Sir Terry Matthews who pointed out the civic offices were occupying a prime spot, which could be taken up by a more commercial and aesthetic venture? Then relocate the offices to the city centre, to regenerate it. As I say, I could be wrong.

I did write to the leader several years ago regarding ideas about a transportation hub (frustratingly Cardiff subsequently used this term), with a train link behind High St, with bus station and rail station located at Parc Tawe with retail outlets etc.. Not quite Rome's Termini, but following in principle. Of course, I received no reply. That's why I'm sceptical. Sorry.
New Swansea Arena... on 10:48 - Jun 13 with 1719 viewsjack247

New Swansea Arena... on 10:37 - Jun 13 by Jinxy

I think most sensible people are, or would be, behind a co-ordinated development. My observations (they are simply that) are centred around the historic lack of cohesion and fearful anticipation of how the money will be spent. I may be wrong, but was it not Sir Terry Matthews who pointed out the civic offices were occupying a prime spot, which could be taken up by a more commercial and aesthetic venture? Then relocate the offices to the city centre, to regenerate it. As I say, I could be wrong.

I did write to the leader several years ago regarding ideas about a transportation hub (frustratingly Cardiff subsequently used this term), with a train link behind High St, with bus station and rail station located at Parc Tawe with retail outlets etc.. Not quite Rome's Termini, but following in principle. Of course, I received no reply. That's why I'm sceptical. Sorry.

No need to apologise. I don’t disagree with you at all. Historically, we haven’t got it right. I’m cautiously optimistic about the digital arena and surrounding development, but completely understand the scepticism based on past performance.

It’s a completely different argument to ‘why bother when Cardiff is only 40 miles away’.
New Swansea Arena... on 10:55 - Jun 13 with 1710 viewsDr_Winston

Let's hope they'll be allowed to let people in by the time it's finished.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

New Swansea Arena... on 11:00 - Jun 13 with 1699 viewsexhmrc1

New Swansea Arena... on 10:37 - Jun 13 by Jinxy

The issue of the bus and train stations being apart isnt really an issue. Bristol Temple Meads is further out of the city and further away from the bus staion but it doesnt cause problems there. Similarly Exeter St Davids and Cheltenham Spa and more locally Carmarthen and Llanelli have the same situation.

Nearly 20 years ago I worked in the centre of Birmingham. Only 1 person in the office came in by car due to transport issues and she had a disabled parking space.

It isnt feasible for everybody to travel by car into city centres. London has a congestion charge and others are following. Cardiff has been doing everything to keep cars out. When my sister lived in Barry and worked on Queen Street she went in by rail due to the cost of parking there. That was years ago. As the number of cars has increased the more the problem has built up.
New Swansea Arena... on 11:01 - Jun 13 with 1699 viewskrunchykarrot

New Swansea Arena... on 18:24 - Jun 12 by Joe_bradshaw

I saw Supertramp at Swansea University in 1974. In my three years there 74 - 77 we also had 10cc, Thin Lizzy and the Clash amongst others.

Brangwyn Hall, Even in the quietest moments tour if i remember correctly. I also think Joan Armatrading was the support but please someone correct me if im wrong.
New Swansea Arena... on 11:02 - Jun 13 with 1698 viewskrunchykarrot

New Swansea Arena... on 18:48 - Jun 12 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Why would international touring bands opt to choose Swansea over Cardiff?

Money.
New Swansea Arena... on 11:05 - Jun 13 with 1687 viewsDarran

New Swansea Arena... on 18:24 - Jun 12 by Joe_bradshaw

I saw Supertramp at Swansea University in 1974. In my three years there 74 - 77 we also had 10cc, Thin Lizzy and the Clash amongst others.

We should have been seeing Roger Hodgson on Wednesday. 😩

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Login to get fewer ads

New Swansea Arena... on 11:15 - Jun 13 with 1676 viewskrunchykarrot

New Swansea Arena... on 11:05 - Jun 13 by Darran

We should have been seeing Roger Hodgson on Wednesday. 😩

Shame, thats a great gig for sound as well. Im getting fussy about where i watch these days, get the right hump if its a bad sound.

Saw Michael Mcdonald in the Hammersmith Apollo and was amazed how they didn't do anything about it for the whole gig. Worst for me though had to be Damien Rice in the CIA shocking.
New Swansea Arena... on 11:18 - Jun 13 with 1676 viewsJinxy

New Swansea Arena... on 11:00 - Jun 13 by exhmrc1

The issue of the bus and train stations being apart isnt really an issue. Bristol Temple Meads is further out of the city and further away from the bus staion but it doesnt cause problems there. Similarly Exeter St Davids and Cheltenham Spa and more locally Carmarthen and Llanelli have the same situation.

Nearly 20 years ago I worked in the centre of Birmingham. Only 1 person in the office came in by car due to transport issues and she had a disabled parking space.

It isnt feasible for everybody to travel by car into city centres. London has a congestion charge and others are following. Cardiff has been doing everything to keep cars out. When my sister lived in Barry and worked on Queen Street she went in by rail due to the cost of parking there. That was years ago. As the number of cars has increased the more the problem has built up.

Fair points. My rant about the train/bus stations are what I see as examples of being short sighted - no bigger picture imho.

We lived for several years in Bridgend, and on the weekends would invariably look to take the kids for a drive and walk on the coast. Despite our hearts being leaned towards Swansea (hence since moved here), we would invariably go to Cardiff Bay due to accessibility, as well as being a decent place for a walk with the kids I suppose (even saw the McCann's there once!). Same went for nights out - jump on the train in Bridgend and straight into Cardiff city centre. Here, when friends pop down and meet us for a night out (remember those?!), we always meet them at the station and walk down together - just for security!

In my view, Mumbles certainly rivals Cardiff Bay for most of the above, but the traffic jams etc. when the weather's nice would have still put us right off. Several businesses have avoided either setting up or developing in Swansea for the same reasons.
New Swansea Arena... on 11:27 - Jun 13 with 1661 viewsJackfath

Focus should be on making better transport links to keep cars out of the city centre, not building new multi storey car parks. Backwards thinking.

I do however think the cosy conference venue will be a useful addition for the cty and hope it attracts some decent events into the city.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

New Swansea Arena... on 11:35 - Jun 13 with 1650 viewsJoe_bradshaw

New Swansea Arena... on 11:01 - Jun 13 by krunchykarrot

Brangwyn Hall, Even in the quietest moments tour if i remember correctly. I also think Joan Armatrading was the support but please someone correct me if im wrong.

74 was the Crime of the Century tour. Swansea University was the first gig of the tour and they played the coffee bar because they weren’t big enough to play the refectory!

Loads of people who were there went out the next day and bought the album and the rest, as they say, is history.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

New Swansea Arena... on 11:36 - Jun 13 with 1649 viewsCatullus

New Swansea Arena... on 11:27 - Jun 13 by Jackfath

Focus should be on making better transport links to keep cars out of the city centre, not building new multi storey car parks. Backwards thinking.

I do however think the cosy conference venue will be a useful addition for the cty and hope it attracts some decent events into the city.

Agreed, lets build a multi storey by the Liberty and have more park and ride. Lets open Landore train station back up. Lets bring back the Mumbles train, it'd be a tourist attraction too. Lets have the so called Boris bikes and make the town centre more pedestrianised and green.
Don't just tell people not to use their cars, give them a viable option.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

New Swansea Arena... on 11:37 - Jun 13 with 1649 viewskrunchykarrot

New Swansea Arena... on 11:27 - Jun 13 by Jackfath

Disagree i think, the backwards thinking council might have fallen in the proverbial and will come out smelling of luck.
I think the only way to keep our City viable will be to provide cheap parking close to the city centre, hopefully this might encourage investment by smaller retailers. Cant see any other way out after people have been online with Amazon, and companies spending and future proofing and improving their online shopping platforms.
New Swansea Arena... on 11:56 - Jun 13 with 1629 viewsJackfath

New Swansea Arena... on 11:36 - Jun 13 by Catullus

Agreed, lets build a multi storey by the Liberty and have more park and ride. Lets open Landore train station back up. Lets bring back the Mumbles train, it'd be a tourist attraction too. Lets have the so called Boris bikes and make the town centre more pedestrianised and green.

We've got the bikes already. Keep up!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

New Swansea Arena... on 13:34 - Jun 13 with 1580 viewsNortbankboy

New Swansea Arena... on 10:09 - Jun 13 by jack247

Some people just like to moan.
The council are damed if they do and damed if they dont.

Same with the swans whatever they do ,they cant win with some people.
I think we will do ok playing behind closed doors with no home fans on the players back.
New Swansea Arena... on 13:35 - Jun 13 with 1579 viewskrunchykarrot

New Swansea Arena... on 11:35 - Jun 13 by Joe_bradshaw

74 was the Crime of the Century tour. Swansea University was the first gig of the tour and they played the coffee bar because they weren’t big enough to play the refectory!

Loads of people who were there went out the next day and bought the album and the rest, as they say, is history.

Fantastic Joe i missed that one, but i definately saw them in the Brangwyn the jazz tobacco hasnt killed all of my cells yet. I think. Yellow umbrella on stage.
New Swansea Arena... on 14:28 - Jun 13 with 1553 viewsdickythorpe

Where ideally would you locate the train station in Swansea?
New Swansea Arena... on 14:38 - Jun 13 with 1547 viewsjack247

New Swansea Arena... on 11:36 - Jun 13 by Catullus

If the Mumbles train was feasible, which I‘m guessing it can’t be, it would be one hell of a tourist attraction and reduce the ridiculous congestion you get there when it’s warm.
New Swansea Arena... on 14:53 - Jun 13 with 1523 viewsCatullus

New Swansea Arena... on 11:56 - Jun 13 by Jackfath

We've got the bikes already. Keep up!

I would keep up but I can't find a bike!

I honestly didn't know we had them, or I'd forgotten. Forgotten probably, another marble rolls away.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

New Swansea Arena... on 16:58 - Jun 13 with 1483 viewsEbo

New Swansea Arena... on 01:13 - Jun 13 by Dyfnant

Why no underground parking like they have in Bristol?

Car park underneath the arena

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

New Swansea Arena... on 23:26 - Jun 13 with 1398 viewsGowerjack

New Swansea Arena... on 14:28 - Jun 13 by dickythorpe

Where ideally would you locate the train station in Swansea?

Somewhere within walking distance of the track.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

New Swansea Arena... on 23:38 - Jun 13 with 1384 viewsDyfnant

New Swansea Arena... on 16:58 - Jun 13 by Ebo

Car park underneath the arena

Really?

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

New Swansea Arena... on 23:41 - Jun 13 with 1375 viewsEbo

New Swansea Arena... on 23:38 - Jun 13 by Dyfnant

Really?

Yes, hence why there was so much groundwork going on. I think it is only for event staff, I can check for you though as I know someone who is on the board at Swansea Bay Business club.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

New Swansea Arena... on 12:50 - Jun 15 with 1252 viewsDarran

Great photo.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024