Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Topping up National Insurance 17:14 - Jun 17 with 14329 viewslegoman

When I reach State Pension Age in about 5 years time, I will be a little short of the maximum. I've got my estimate from the Gov.uk website and I've checked my yearly records. It seems I can top up my pension by paying something like £680.

I can see I can pay this shortfall by monthly Direct Debit or by quarterly payments, but I can't see how much these debits will be. Is it a case of dividing my shortfall of £680 by the number of months left in this tax year (9) so about £75 per month for 9 months? Anyone got any knowledge of this?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Topping up National Insurance on 18:01 - Jun 17 with 14275 viewsGlyn1

Are you saying that you will be £680 for every year, or just this year? As long as you pay it before you get to 65 I don't think it matters when you do it (I'm not an expert).

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Topping up National Insurance on 18:14 - Jun 17 with 14257 viewslegoman

Topping up National Insurance on 18:01 - Jun 17 by Glyn1

Are you saying that you will be £680 for every year, or just this year? As long as you pay it before you get to 65 I don't think it matters when you do it (I'm not an expert).

I have 2018/9 as an incomplete year. Gotta be honest I don't really understand how State Pension works. And yes I have until 2024 to pay it.

As it's a Direct Debit, I thought it was the receiver of the finds that sets the amount of the DD.

All a bit confusing I think

Topping up National Insurance on 18:26 - Jun 17 with 14237 viewsItchySphincter

I think you have to opt out if paying it anyway so when you reach full contribution you just keep paying. It goes towards all the other services once you have qualified for full pension.

* edit - just realised I misread the OP. Dunno.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 9:23]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Topping up National Insurance on 18:49 - Jun 17 with 14207 viewsWhiterockin

Make an appointment with pension wise. Any decisions you make will be stuck with you for the rest of your life. Take the free impartial advice. It stood me in good stead.

https://www.pensionwise.gov.uk/en
Topping up National Insurance on 19:16 - Jun 17 with 14168 viewsmonmouth

You need to phone hmrc to get a code to pay it too anyway I think, or at least I had to. It’s well worth it if you definitely need the year, but check that fo certain (you are allowed a few blank years). If you have to pay it by 2024 then as far as I know you can pay bits at your leisure up until then as it’s a shortfall, so a payment of £1 at any time just makes it £1 less of a shortfall. Because of that I’d doubt they’ll collect on DD. Ring them, or try and get lucky with the online contact, but they are insanely busy will businesses at the moment, so I would sit on the phone. Or just wait, as you have tons of time. The one thing though, the amount you need to pay can increase on 6 April each year in line with any increased benefit.

Edit, payment reference I mean, not code. If you already have that then I’m pretty sure you can pay your own ‘instalments’ as and when you want, but check it out as I’m not 100%. I had to get a reference as mine was a shortfall from 2008.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2020 19:26]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Topping up National Insurance on 19:38 - Jun 17 with 14137 viewsArthur_from_OTB

If you don’t have an additional income to your state pension and you don’t qualify for a full state pension then you can claim Guarantee Credit which will give you the same income you get with a maximum state person. There might be a pound or two difference. Anyone over pension age who lives in the UK qualifies for Guarantee Credit. It doesn’t matter how much you have paid in National Insurance. I am not a pension expert and when I explained this to a "pension expert" he didn’t believe me. But judging by the information in the links below I am right.

"Pension Credit is an income-related benefit made up of 2 parts - Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit."

"Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below £173.75 (for single people) or £265.20 (for couples). You may still be eligible if you have savings, a pension or your own home."

"You must live in England, Scotland or Wales and have reached State Pension age to qualify for Pension Credit."

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit
https://www.rights4seniors.net/content/guarantee-credit
Topping up National Insurance on 20:14 - Jun 17 with 14095 viewslondonlisa2001

Topping up National Insurance on 19:38 - Jun 17 by Arthur_from_OTB

If you don’t have an additional income to your state pension and you don’t qualify for a full state pension then you can claim Guarantee Credit which will give you the same income you get with a maximum state person. There might be a pound or two difference. Anyone over pension age who lives in the UK qualifies for Guarantee Credit. It doesn’t matter how much you have paid in National Insurance. I am not a pension expert and when I explained this to a "pension expert" he didn’t believe me. But judging by the information in the links below I am right.

"Pension Credit is an income-related benefit made up of 2 parts - Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit."

"Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below £173.75 (for single people) or £265.20 (for couples). You may still be eligible if you have savings, a pension or your own home."

"You must live in England, Scotland or Wales and have reached State Pension age to qualify for Pension Credit."

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit
https://www.rights4seniors.net/content/guarantee-credit

If you have any savings that drops away pretty quickly to not very much if anything at all.

Say you’re £50 a week short on the state pension, savings of £35k (between you and your partner) knocks you down to nothing in pension credit straight away.

The savings credit has gone now unless you retired (or your partner did) before 2016.

Pension credit is good if you have a small amount in savings as you’re allowed £10k without it impacting you. But it drops away really quickly (a £1 deduction for every £500 in savings over £10k).
Topping up National Insurance on 20:21 - Jun 17 with 14081 viewslegoman

Thanks all for your input. I'm not concerned with pension credit and the like. I have a decent enough private pension and so the state one is the icing on the cake. I just don't understand how I pay my £680 shortfall by direct debit! I can set this up online via gov.uk but what I don't understand is how much do I have to pay each month and over how many months

Login to get fewer ads

Topping up National Insurance on 20:29 - Jun 17 with 14065 viewslondonlisa2001

Topping up National Insurance on 20:21 - Jun 17 by legoman

Thanks all for your input. I'm not concerned with pension credit and the like. I have a decent enough private pension and so the state one is the icing on the cake. I just don't understand how I pay my £680 shortfall by direct debit! I can set this up online via gov.uk but what I don't understand is how much do I have to pay each month and over how many months

Have a look at this.

https://www.royallondon.com/siteassets/site-docs/media-centre/good-with-your-mon
Topping up National Insurance on 20:39 - Jun 17 with 14039 viewslegoman

Topping up National Insurance on 20:29 - Jun 17 by londonlisa2001

Have a look at this.

https://www.royallondon.com/siteassets/site-docs/media-centre/good-with-your-mon

Thanks Lisa, that looks to be what I was after!

Topping up National Insurance on 20:44 - Jun 17 with 14028 viewslondonlisa2001

Topping up National Insurance on 20:39 - Jun 17 by legoman

Thanks Lisa, that looks to be what I was after!

I had a quick scan of it and it looks pretty comprehensive. Certainly a good starting point.
Topping up National Insurance on 20:48 - Jun 17 with 14017 viewsDr_Winston

Topping up National Insurance on 20:21 - Jun 17 by legoman

I believe you're basically looking at Voluntary National Insurance. It's not my area of expertise but I've added the link to Gov.uk which states the current rates. No idea if you can just pay a lumper and clear the deficit.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/rates

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Topping up National Insurance on 00:29 - Jun 18 with 13884 viewsGlyn1

WHICH magazine had a good article about all this a few months ago. If I can find it I'll get back to you.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Topping up National Insurance on 01:25 - Jun 18 with 13862 viewslegoman

Topping up National Insurance on 00:29 - Jun 18 by Glyn1

WHICH magazine had a good article about all this a few months ago. If I can find it I'll get back to you.

Thank you

Topping up National Insurance on 07:28 - Jun 18 with 13817 views3swan

Topping up National Insurance on 01:25 - Jun 18 by legoman

Thank you

Some info here. https://www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-class-3-national-insurance

Also section 4

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-national-insuran
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 10:29]
Topping up National Insurance on 13:00 - Jun 18 with 13691 viewsfelixstowe_jack

For every missing year you pay your state pension will increase by about £5 per week or £250 per year. You will therefore get your additional payment back in just under 3 years. May be a bit longer if you are receiving a private pension as you will have to pay 20% tax on your increased earnings.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Topping up National Insurance on 18:21 - Jun 18 with 13615 viewslegoman

Topping up National Insurance on 13:00 - Jun 18 by felixstowe_jack

For every missing year you pay your state pension will increase by about £5 per week or £250 per year. You will therefore get your additional payment back in just under 3 years. May be a bit longer if you are receiving a private pension as you will have to pay 20% tax on your increased earnings.

Thanks Felixstowe, I get that bit. But the part I just don't understand is if I must pay £680 to complete the missing 2018/9 year and the Gov.uk site say I can pay it by monthly Direct Debit, how much per month do I pay and over how many months?

Topping up National Insurance on 19:28 - Jun 18 with 13588 viewsfelixstowe_jack

If I were you I would set up a monthly saver account with your bank some banks are still paying 2.3% on those accounts . 12 monthly payments of £60 =£720, plus interest . Then after 12 months pay the tax people £680. You will have £40 left.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024