Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Decorating 16:31 - Jun 25 with 2910 viewsfbreath

With lots of people decorating their houses over the last few months I was wondering what peoples opinion was on quality and difference between brand name paints like Dulux, Crown etc. and own brand paint like ones you can buy in say Wilkinsons, B&M etc.

Is there any difference in quality between them, is it worth paying the extra for Dulux etc.

Looking to do some decorating soon and not bought any paint for years. Don't mind paying for brand names if it makes it quicker and less messy to do, but is it really worth it.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Decorating on 01:39 - Jun 26 with 2806 viewslegoman

Over the last couple of years I have been using Dulux Quick Dry gloss. It is a water based paint for wood and metal. There is also an equivalent undercoat/primer.

Compared with the fag of using oil based paint this stuff is a dream to work with. Ok it doesn't have quite the gloss of oil based paint but it is so much quicker, easier and less messy to use. It's dry in an hour or so.

I noticed the last time I used oil based paint that in a very short space of time the paint yellowed in areas not exposed to light. When I researched it, it is because for safety reasons, the amount of organics in the paint has been reduced. This makes the paint less light stable.

In my opinion, once you get used to the appearance and texture of the water based paints you'll find decorating to be so much quicker and way less messy.

I also swear by Dulux emulsions too. Buy the Trade versions if your budget runs to it.

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Decorating on 06:05 - Jun 26 with 2758 viewsGlastonbury

The way to look it is if your the type not to decorate for years then buy a good standard of paint. Say u spent £100 on paint and u decorate every 10 years it's only a tenner a year. BQ for me
Decorating on 07:52 - Jun 26 with 2712 viewsFireboy2

Decorating on 06:05 - Jun 26 by Glastonbury

The way to look it is if your the type not to decorate for years then buy a good standard of paint. Say u spent £100 on paint and u decorate every 10 years it's only a tenner a year. BQ for me

Yes and it sometimes depends on if you have a fussy wife

Seriously though, one of the best places to get paint is screwfix, they are quite cheap and most products have a review, the own brands from b&q and wickes are also good.
Decorating on 08:01 - Jun 26 with 2708 viewsJackfath

If you are painting onto fresh plaster I recommend this product

https://www.toolstation.com/leyland-trade-super-leytex-matt-emulsion-paint/p2089

Depening on your application, one coat may suffice. Great stuff.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Decorating on 11:29 - Jun 26 with 2641 viewsepaul

Gave up the ghost on oil based paints years ago, especially gloss, always use satin on wood and metal, much less mess, you can get one coat oil based (not that I believe this one coat nonsense) happy doing 2 coats of water based

Eggshell is usually best for rads to avoid yellowing

Use silk in kitchens as you can wipe it down, if you use silk in a bathroom don't bath or shower until it's completely dry or you risk taking the shine out of it (personal experience lol)

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Decorating on 13:42 - Jun 26 with 2603 viewsjack_lord

Decorating on 11:29 - Jun 26 by epaul

Gave up the ghost on oil based paints years ago, especially gloss, always use satin on wood and metal, much less mess, you can get one coat oil based (not that I believe this one coat nonsense) happy doing 2 coats of water based

Eggshell is usually best for rads to avoid yellowing

Use silk in kitchens as you can wipe it down, if you use silk in a bathroom don't bath or shower until it's completely dry or you risk taking the shine out of it (personal experience lol)

What about walls?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Decorating on 22:30 - Jun 26 with 2504 viewsJack59

Dulux is well ahead of the others in quality and worth the extra money.
Decorating on 08:51 - Jun 27 with 2442 viewsepaul

Decorating on 13:42 - Jun 26 by jack_lord

What about walls?

What walls were? in general matt

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Login to get fewer ads

Decorating on 09:28 - Jun 27 with 2424 viewsWarwickHunt

Decorating on 22:30 - Jun 26 by Jack59

Dulux is well ahead of the others in quality and worth the extra money.

Johnstone’s - better quality and cheaper.

Anyone used Crown Solo for gloss? The pup’s nuts apparently.
Decorating on 10:15 - Jun 27 with 2404 viewsPentyrchJack

I use Jonstons water based acrylic satin for white doors and skirtings. For heavily trafficked areas I use light coloured Johnstons water based acrylic Matt paints because they tend to be easy to roller over to hide marks without having to paint the entire wall. For living rooms and bedrooms I go for light Farrow and Ball colours - my favourite is ammonite grey which really draws the natural light and works well with white doors.

I always use a sheepskin roller for walls and ceilings, much better than sponge or fabric rolllers.

No point scrimping on the right tools.As they say "you can't make a chicken curry out of chicken shit!"

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024