Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit is working 14:23 - Jul 1 with 29960 views73__73

Fantastic news from Sunderland . Over 6,000 well paid jobs, as Nissan invest in new electric model and new battery plant.

Project fear , my arse 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧
[Post edited 1 Jul 2021 14:24]

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Brexit is working on 22:47 - Aug 24 with 1338 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit is working on 20:43 - Aug 24 by Kilkennyjack

150,000 shortage of drivers in EU. Is that brexit as well.

Coronavirus has led to the biggest shake up in World labour markets since the second World War.
3 million unemployment in UK, 2 million still on furlough. Many people have decided to change their careers in the last year. A HGV driver can earn more as a fork lift truck driver in a warehouse with regular hours and overtime and no nights away.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Brexit is working on 23:22 - Aug 24 with 1318 viewsmajorraglan

Brexit is working on 22:47 - Aug 24 by felixstowe_jack

150,000 shortage of drivers in EU. Is that brexit as well.

Coronavirus has led to the biggest shake up in World labour markets since the second World War.
3 million unemployment in UK, 2 million still on furlough. Many people have decided to change their careers in the last year. A HGV driver can earn more as a fork lift truck driver in a warehouse with regular hours and overtime and no nights away.

In this mornings post it you stated the EU were 250,000 drivers short, now it’s down to 150,000. If they can fill the vacancies that quickly it’s pretty impressive stuff! I suspect it may be that Europe is 250,000 drivers short with the EU accounting for 150,000 and the UK for 100,000.

As you say there’s plenty of people unemployed (some may be unemployable, thieves, villains etc and some may be downright lazy) and plenty on furlough so the numbers are there, where they have the skills is a different matter. The government have to make working attractive/pay and dole unattractive, people who want to work should be supported and those that don’t should in my view be made to work for the dole - community work etc. Training should be made available.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 0:54]
Brexit is working on 23:51 - Aug 24 with 1309 viewsBarrySwan

Brexit is working on 23:22 - Aug 24 by majorraglan

In this mornings post it you stated the EU were 250,000 drivers short, now it’s down to 150,000. If they can fill the vacancies that quickly it’s pretty impressive stuff! I suspect it may be that Europe is 250,000 drivers short with the EU accounting for 150,000 and the UK for 100,000.

As you say there’s plenty of people unemployed (some may be unemployable, thieves, villains etc and some may be downright lazy) and plenty on furlough so the numbers are there, where they have the skills is a different matter. The government have to make working attractive/pay and dole unattractive, people who want to work should be supported and those that don’t should in my view be made to work for the dole - community work etc. Training should be made available.

Any competent country would have trained up more drivers giving incentives such as vastly reduced training fees etc years ago when so many older drivers packed in due to new regulations and the upcoming driver crisis was being pointed out in trade journals and even normal media outlets years ago when I first read about the problems in the haulage industry ( way before Brexit even reared its head.

However disappointing it is for rewhingers who had hoped that they could pin this on Brexit it seems that this is a major problem all over Europe including many countries who didn't join us in leaving the EU

https://www.bifa.org/news/articles/2018/dec/truck-driver-shortage-crisis-now-spr

https://trans.info/en/iru-survey-europe-s-driver-shortage-to-rise-by-10-in-2021-

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/06/global-shortage-commercial-truck-drivers/
Brexit is working on 06:25 - Aug 25 with 1282 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit is working on 23:22 - Aug 24 by majorraglan

Sorry typo 250,000. Thanks for pointing out the shortage in the EU.

Brexit is working on 06:27 - Aug 25 with 1275 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit is working on 23:51 - Aug 24 by BarrySwan

Any competent country would have trained up more drivers giving incentives such as vastly reduced training fees etc years ago when so many older drivers packed in due to new regulations and the upcoming driver crisis was being pointed out in trade journals and even normal media outlets years ago when I first read about the problems in the haulage industry ( way before Brexit even reared its head.

However disappointing it is for rewhingers who had hoped that they could pin this on Brexit it seems that this is a major problem all over Europe including many countries who didn't join us in leaving the EU

https://www.bifa.org/news/articles/2018/dec/truck-driver-shortage-crisis-now-spr

https://trans.info/en/iru-survey-europe-s-driver-shortage-to-rise-by-10-in-2021-

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/06/global-shortage-commercial-truck-drivers/

Thanks for reference to point out global shortages.

Brexit is working on 08:18 - Aug 25 with 1250 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit is working on 06:25 - Aug 25 by felixstowe_jack

Sorry typo 250,000. Thanks for pointing out the shortage in the EU.

All the excuses in the book.

Nothing good about Brexit. Reality coming at you fast.

Uk will be back in Single Market and Customs Union in 5 years.
Johnson in prison.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿❤️🇪🇺

Beware of the Risen People

Brexit is working on 15:50 - Aug 25 with 1201 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit is working on 08:18 - Aug 25 by Kilkennyjack

Johnson in prison.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿❤️🇪🇺

Don't panic as your Scottish mate would say. Just wait until pandemic furlough end at the end of September. Them they 2 million sitting at home will need to return to work.

Brexit is working on 22:49 - Aug 25 with 1170 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit is working on 15:50 - Aug 25 by felixstowe_jack

Don't panic as your Scottish mate would say. Just wait until pandemic furlough end at the end of September. Them they 2 million sitting at home will need to return to work.

Lets see then, i guess ….🤷‍♂️

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit is working on 05:38 - Aug 26 with 1146 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit is working on 22:49 - Aug 25 by Kilkennyjack

Lets see then, i guess ….🤷‍♂️

Yes let's see. The biggest disruption to world and UK labour markets caused by the pandemic

Brexit is working on 10:59 - Aug 26 with 1105 viewsmajorraglan

Brexit is working on 05:38 - Aug 26 by felixstowe_jack

Yes let's see. The biggest disruption to world and UK labour markets caused by the pandemic

Covid is certainly a factor, however the lack of drivers post Brexit is a contributory factor. Milkshakes and bottled drinks are only off the menu in England, Wales and Scotland while Northern Ireland is unaffected.
Brexit is working on 12:06 - Aug 26 with 1085 viewsdeanscfc

Hard to put into words how I feel about people still defending Brexit. The biggest political con going that has caused huge harm to millions who have lost rights, opportunities and had their businesses damaged. To some it is a game to others it's their lives. Utterly indefensible and a national disgrace frankly. "No downsides and same benefits".

If it were up to me the likes of Johnson, Gove, Farage and Co would have been behind bars a long time ago. Nothing but con artists.
Brexit is working on 12:15 - Aug 26 with 1076 viewsdeanscfc

Brexit is working on 08:18 - Aug 25 by Kilkennyjack

Johnson in prison.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿❤️🇪🇺

Probably not sadly (re the last bit).

We'll likely be back in the SM/CU though in some form. Maybe EEA. Though for it to happen Labout will have to stop being so useless too and start mentioning the B word again.
Brexit is working on 15:39 - Aug 26 with 1044 viewsItchySphincter

Meat factory in Monmouth now wants EU foreign workers rules ignored because they can’t get the staff because they’ve all gone back to the EU. Whoop! Let’s see all those British people climbing over each other to do those jobs now that the ‘bloody foreigners’ have stopped stealing them all.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Brexit is working on 16:28 - Aug 26 with 1033 viewsBarrySwan

Brexit is working on 15:39 - Aug 26 by ItchySphincter

Meat factory in Monmouth now wants EU foreign workers rules ignored because they can’t get the staff because they’ve all gone back to the EU. Whoop! Let’s see all those British people climbing over each other to do those jobs now that the ‘bloody foreigners’ have stopped stealing them all.

So basically these firms are mourning the fact that they could previously pay abysmal wages to desperate Eastern European workers and now need to pay decent living wages to UK workers.

Which way do you want it then?

Decent wages to workers or exploitation of EU nationals at the expense of British staff?
Brexit is working on 18:40 - Aug 26 with 1012 viewsItchySphincter

Brexit is working on 16:28 - Aug 26 by BarrySwan

So basically these firms are mourning the fact that they could previously pay abysmal wages to desperate Eastern European workers and now need to pay decent living wages to UK workers.

Which way do you want it then?

Decent wages to workers or exploitation of EU nationals at the expense of British staff?

I don’t care, I’m just reporting what was on the news.

Out of interest how do you think all these firms will fund these higher wages?

Brexit is working on 22:53 - Aug 26 with 965 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit is working on 12:06 - Aug 26 by deanscfc

Hard to put into words how I feel about people still defending Brexit. The biggest political con going that has caused huge harm to millions who have lost rights, opportunities and had their businesses damaged. To some it is a game to others it's their lives. Utterly indefensible and a national disgrace frankly. "No downsides and same benefits".

If it were up to me the likes of Johnson, Gove, Farage and Co would have been behind bars a long time ago. Nothing but con artists.

Well said.

Post of the year 2021.

Brexit is working on 23:53 - Aug 26 with 952 viewsLohengrin

Brexit is working on 18:40 - Aug 26 by ItchySphincter

I don’t care, I’m just reporting what was on the news.

Out of interest how do you think all these firms will fund these higher wages?

Let’s just hone in on the driver situation and walk with me back to the early 2000s, Itchy, back to just before the accession of eastern European, former Communist satellite states, to the EU; in the days just prior to their ability to access the Thatcherite single market with its free movement of people across borders. Back to when Brian Flynn was managing us and we’d all end up in Jumpin’ Jaks after a Friday night game...

Back then the big supermarkets employed their own drivers. On the books, entitled to sickness and pension benefits, unionised. All that changed with the ensuing glut of labour. Within, what? Eighteen months those boys were beginning to be undercut and replaced by agency drivers on pay-as-you-deliver contracts all to the echoing tick of the stopwatch.

Well that’s finished. Over. These concerns are going to have learn again that to operate and benefit from a location there is a reciprocal duty to the people of that location.

Similarly the Labour Party is either going to have to stop kneeling to the third world, stop pfaffing about men in frocks, and wake up to the fact that stringent regulation of the labour supply is essential to the maintenance of good T & Cs or it will wither and die as a movement that champions working folk arises to replace it.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Brexit is working on 06:15 - Aug 27 with 927 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit is working on 12:06 - Aug 26 by deanscfc

Silliest post of the year award to blame EVERYTHING on brexit in the biggest pandemic the world has seen since Spanish flu in 1919.

The economies of just about every country have been disrupted. Global shortage in everything from computer chips to building supplies and lack of capacity in contantainer shipping as compansion switch to more profitably products needed for the pandemic, PPE, ventilators, vaccines, virus testing kits.

Brexit is working on 10:41 - Aug 27 with 888 viewsItchySphincter

Brexit is working on 23:53 - Aug 26 by Lohengrin

Let’s just hone in on the driver situation and walk with me back to the early 2000s, Itchy, back to just before the accession of eastern European, former Communist satellite states, to the EU; in the days just prior to their ability to access the Thatcherite single market with its free movement of people across borders. Back to when Brian Flynn was managing us and we’d all end up in Jumpin’ Jaks after a Friday night game...

Back then the big supermarkets employed their own drivers. On the books, entitled to sickness and pension benefits, unionised. All that changed with the ensuing glut of labour. Within, what? Eighteen months those boys were beginning to be undercut and replaced by agency drivers on pay-as-you-deliver contracts all to the echoing tick of the stopwatch.

Well that’s finished. Over. These concerns are going to have learn again that to operate and benefit from a location there is a reciprocal duty to the people of that location.

Similarly the Labour Party is either going to have to stop kneeling to the third world, stop pfaffing about men in frocks, and wake up to the fact that stringent regulation of the labour supply is essential to the maintenance of good T & Cs or it will wither and die as a movement that champions working folk arises to replace it.

I’m just commenting on the here and now. It’s a sh!t sandwich. Outside of the rights and wrongs of how and why we’ve ended up here the fact is that we are here. There is a shortage of willing labour and if wages increase to encourage willingness then the price of the product to the consumer increases. I’m not saying that is wrong, or that prices should be forced down by cheap labour, but the fact is something needs to be done about by a problem caused by a direct result of Brexit.

Brexit is working on 11:25 - Aug 27 with 882 viewsDr_Winston

Brexit is working on 10:41 - Aug 27 by ItchySphincter

I’m just commenting on the here and now. It’s a sh!t sandwich. Outside of the rights and wrongs of how and why we’ve ended up here the fact is that we are here. There is a shortage of willing labour and if wages increase to encourage willingness then the price of the product to the consumer increases. I’m not saying that is wrong, or that prices should be forced down by cheap labour, but the fact is something needs to be done about by a problem caused by a direct result of Brexit.

Brexit is a cause. It's not the cause. There is no one specific reason for the problems. It's a perfect storm of several.

Driving is just the start. There's a serious lack of decent vocational training out there. There will be shortages in other areas eventually (already starting to see it a bit in construction) as older workers retire and younger ones don't enter the workforce in those trades.

The whole system needs to be looked at, including more vocational type training in schools if needs be.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Brexit is working on 11:26 - Aug 27 with 878 viewsKilkennyjack

Quite right.

Loh you need the other side of the coin as well mind, the use of EU workers made things cheaper for us all, including the poorest.

Made the UK able to compete in a pan European sense. Delivering relative prosperity to many.

Of course, all people in Europe deserve a fair days pay for a fair days work.
Unfortunately Brexit will make the UK into a sweat shop unregulated Singapore on the edge of Europe.
As seen in the Covid contracts, money is being siphoned off and the Rees-Moggs will get richer and Cymru will get poorer.

Leaving the EU is a disaster for working class people. Feck Brexit.

Brexit is working on 12:47 - Aug 27 with 870 viewsLohengrin

The flip side of a problem is an opportunity.

“When you hear of labour shortages, your instinctive reaction should be: “Let’s use this opportunity to bargain for higher wages and upskilling of the domestic workforce,” not “Let’s argue for the right of bosses to exploit cheap foreign labour.”

I’ve seen that quote touted around quite a bit, often without accreditation by people trying to pass it off as their own, but it originates with Michael Foot, I believe. As a summation of a position it’s difficult to better.

Brexit is working on 13:10 - Aug 27 with 862 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit is working on 12:47 - Aug 27 by Lohengrin

The flip side of a problem is an opportunity.

“When you hear of labour shortages, your instinctive reaction should be: “Let’s use this opportunity to bargain for higher wages and upskilling of the domestic workforce,” not “Let’s argue for the right of bosses to exploit cheap foreign labour.”

I’ve seen that quote touted around quite a bit, often without accreditation by people trying to pass it off as their own, but it originates with Michael Foot, I believe. As a summation of a position it’s difficult to better.

You cant buck the globalisation of business and society.
Michael Foot was a huge fan of Nye, and so welsh people will tend to agree with him.
The core concept is still valid.

However the times have changed and these ideas need to evolve to stay relevent in our ever changing modern world.

Having a successful economy with quality public setvice provision as a foundarion stone is the aim.
That way many people have opportunities.
Wales is desperate for this. Annibyniaeth will deliver it.

Brexit is working on 14:02 - Aug 27 with 848 viewsLohengrin

Brexit is working on 13:10 - Aug 27 by Kilkennyjack

You cant buck the globalisation of business and society.
Michael Foot was a huge fan of Nye, and so welsh people will tend to agree with him.
The core concept is still valid.

However the times have changed and these ideas need to evolve to stay relevent in our ever changing modern world.

Having a successful economy with quality public setvice provision as a foundarion stone is the aim.
That way many people have opportunities.
Wales is desperate for this. Annibyniaeth will deliver it.

The bucking is a process well underway. Politics is a practical game, one of priorities, and in a national sense the overriding concern has to be providing a sustainable future with clear paths to employment for our own children and grandchildren.

Want to see what the absence of hope looks like? Take a walk through the centres of Swansea and Neath on a weekday afternoon.

Brexit is working on 17:41 - Aug 27 with 819 viewsKilkennyjack

Brexit is working on 14:02 - Aug 27 by Lohengrin

The bucking is a process well underway. Politics is a practical game, one of priorities, and in a national sense the overriding concern has to be providing a sustainable future with clear paths to employment for our own children and grandchildren.

Want to see what the absence of hope looks like? Take a walk through the centres of Swansea and Neath on a weekday afternoon.

I know.
I feel very sad to see our once proud and prosperous area on its uppers.

Who is to blame, and more importantly who can fix it ?

Certainly Westminster is to blame.
Took trillions in welsh coal revenue , for one, and put very little back.
Try that trick in the oil rich Arab lands ,,,,
As long as London booms, they really could not care less.

So the Little Englanders point at the EU.
Its them, its them. Its fecking not.

Wales can keep on begging, and being ignored …. Or we make our own decisions and go our own way. Politically Labour wales is already very distinct from Tory England.

So thats the bottom line choice - an ever declining wales-shire under the uncaring English yoke, or a small modern democracy in Europe making our own decisions for whats best for Wales and the people of wales.

Scotland will show us the way soon. 🙏🏿

Hope not hate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024