Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric Cars 20:03 - Jul 25 with 12135 viewsonehunglow

OK then,who's gone the whole way.
Are we ready at forecourts nationwide and at repair shops

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Electric Cars on 15:01 - Jul 27 with 1559 viewsmonmouth

Electric Cars on 12:54 - Jul 27 by A_Fans_Dad

"How msny people actually keep a car for that long anyway."
You miss the point entirely, the majority of people are buying and running second hand cars, not new ones.

Indeed. The greenest thing you can do by a long long way is keep the car you have. The batteries in EVs are themselves unsustainable and no one talks about the cobalt mining nor battery disposal.

EVs do improve air quality in cities though, and that's the big deal in my view. So as city cars, perhaps on some sort of rental pooled scheme eventually, they certainly will have a place. This rush towards them is purely political posturing from lying politicians, and car company profiteering to sell replacement cars at high prices. They truly give not a single toss about the 'environment'. Well neither group actually.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Electric Cars on 15:05 - Jul 27 with 1554 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Electric Cars on 15:01 - Jul 27 by monmouth

Indeed. The greenest thing you can do by a long long way is keep the car you have. The batteries in EVs are themselves unsustainable and no one talks about the cobalt mining nor battery disposal.

EVs do improve air quality in cities though, and that's the big deal in my view. So as city cars, perhaps on some sort of rental pooled scheme eventually, they certainly will have a place. This rush towards them is purely political posturing from lying politicians, and car company profiteering to sell replacement cars at high prices. They truly give not a single toss about the 'environment'. Well neither group actually.

I totally agree, Hybrids make a lot of sense in terms of both range and clean City Air.
But road design also can city change air pollution a lot.
The emmissions from cars are not the biggest contributors though, especially for particulates.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2021 20:08]
Electric Cars on 20:28 - Jul 27 with 1491 viewsbuilthjack

HVO will be the next big thing, available now.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Electric Cars on 21:50 - Jul 27 with 1470 viewsCrossJack

Got an Audi e-tron with work. Lovely car, don't bother with it at present unless your commute is small.

Full charge gives me an expected 200 miles, more like 150 miles. Charging stations quite often only one CCS charger and then need to wait for its use
Electric Cars on 06:42 - Jul 28 with 1418 viewstrampie

Electric cars are too expensive and there are nowhere near enough charging points.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Electric Cars on 07:34 - Jul 28 with 1400 viewsrlw

The issue for me is that I do not have a source of electricity to my garage. My garage is 50m from my house with no option to run a cable - this also rules out a second feed without significant disruption and cost.

Can't charge at home, can't charge at work... very impractical
Electric Cars on 08:14 - Jul 28 with 1386 viewsWhiterockin

Electric Cars on 21:50 - Jul 26 by Whiterockin

Is it true that the maximum life of the battery is 7 years then needs to be replaced at between £4K-£5K a time?

This information may be useful regarding batteries if anyone is interested.

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/tell-me-more-about-electric-car-batteries/

A second consideration if you tow for any reason.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tips-advice/352864/can-you-tow-electric-or-hybrid-
Electric Cars on 09:00 - Jul 28 with 1363 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 08:14 - Jul 28 by Whiterockin

This information may be useful regarding batteries if anyone is interested.

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/tell-me-more-about-electric-car-batteries/

A second consideration if you tow for any reason.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tips-advice/352864/can-you-tow-electric-or-hybrid-

Towing a caravan - and some are quite heavy if you have a large family, requires a large more powerful and heavier vehicle. Diesel is better than petrol because of greater torque. Towing reduces the MPG quite significantly.The range of an electric car will drop dramatically when towing something heavy.Also, the caravan season for most is summertime when the roads are busy, so it's often stop start on roads and will also require the A/C to be used if it's hot outside.
Login to get fewer ads

Electric Cars on 22:29 - Jul 28 with 1307 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

Had mine 3 years now and love it. Covered over 40k miles in that time.

Battery state of health is showing 12/12 bars on the dash but I'm sure it's around 92% which isn't bad for a 5 year old car.

Charge off a 3 pin plug at home and sometimes free from the solar panels on the house roof during the day.

Maintenance is next to nothing. No valves, cam belts, pistons, oil, catalic converters etc to go wrong. Had no issues at all with Mot's.

Never had an issue with public chargers, a rapid charger will charge your car from 0-80% in around 20mins. Most National Trust sites in Wales have free charges and most Tesco have free chargers at the moment.

Zap Map app will give you all the charges in your area and beyond.

Took loads of stick buying it at the time from mates and colleagues.... one or two now lease them through work.

Can't fault it at 3 pence per mile.
Electric Cars on 23:55 - Jul 28 with 1279 viewsgrabsplatter

I live in a mid terrace house in Manselton & half the time I can't even park outside my own house anyway. No charging facilities at work either.
I've nothing against electric cars but in practical terms they're currently not an option for me.
Electric Cars on 07:53 - Jul 29 with 1229 viewsDr_Winston

Electric Cars on 22:29 - Jul 28 by SingUpNorthBank84

Battery state of health is showing 12/12 bars on the dash but I'm sure it's around 92% which isn't bad for a 5 year old car.

Charge off a 3 pin plug at home and sometimes free from the solar panels on the house roof during the day.

Maintenance is next to nothing. No valves, cam belts, pistons, oil, catalic converters etc to go wrong. Had no issues at all with Mot's.

Never had an issue with public chargers, a rapid charger will charge your car from 0-80% in around 20mins. Most National Trust sites in Wales have free charges and most Tesco have free chargers at the moment.

Took loads of stick buying it at the time from mates and colleagues.... one or two now lease them through work.

What make/model just out of curiosity?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Electric Cars on 08:26 - Jul 29 with 1217 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

Electric Cars on 07:53 - Jul 29 by Dr_Winston

What make/model just out of curiosity?

Nissan Leaf Tekna with a 30KWh battery.
Electric Cars on 17:43 - Jul 29 with 1166 viewsSingUpNorthBank84

Robert Llewellyn, aka Kryten from Red Dwarf runs a good website with loads of byth busting videos on EV's.

www.fullycharged.show
Electric Cars on 17:52 - Jul 29 with 1161 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Glad to see you are enjoying yours. Iike mine as well.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Electric Cars on 18:06 - Jul 29 with 1156 viewsA_Fans_Dad

"Can't fault it at 3 pence per mile. "

Yes on the back of every other motorist and tax payer.
All those currently running EVs are on to a good thing, which pisses me of when the rich who can afford top of the line EVs are being subsidised by the poor of the country.

When EVs reach sufficient saturation they will have to add on the FF Duty and VAT that the rest of us motorists have to pay to cover the Taxation black hole that will develop.
It won't be 3p/Mile then.
Electric Cars on 03:28 - Jul 30 with 1108 viewsItchySphincter

I really need to bring myself up to date on this topic.....

Starting from early next year I'll be looking at covering approx. 100 miles per day- round trip, almost exclusively motorway miles. Is there an electric car that would be suitable for this kind of commute?

Is there a list of electric cars that anyone could provide, and specify the difference between which are electric and which are hybrid - and which would be more suitable. Is there an electric car that fits in the size class of a 5 series or C-class, or would that have to be hybrid?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Electric Cars on 10:50 - Jul 30 with 1058 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 03:28 - Jul 30 by ItchySphincter

Starting from early next year I'll be looking at covering approx. 100 miles per day- round trip, almost exclusively motorway miles. Is there an electric car that would be suitable for this kind of commute?

Is there a list of electric cars that anyone could provide, and specify the difference between which are electric and which are hybrid - and which would be more suitable. Is there an electric car that fits in the size class of a 5 series or C-class, or would that have to be hybrid?

Don't use A/C or a heater
Electric Cars on 13:19 - Jul 30 with 1040 viewsItchySphincter

Electric Cars on 10:50 - Jul 30 by controversial_jack

Say what now?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Electric Cars on 15:17 - Jul 30 with 1016 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric Cars on 13:19 - Jul 30 by ItchySphincter

Say what now?

It will drain the battery quickly
Electric Cars on 15:45 - Jul 30 with 1010 viewsA_Fans_Dad

There are a lot of cars that fit you bill, both all EV and Hybrid.
Most car magazines will give you a good idea of what you can get for your money.
Electric Cars on 20:04 - Jul 30 with 989 viewsNeathJack

There are very few electric cars on the market now that wouldn't be suitable for that. My MG ZS EV would manage it no problem at all.
Electric Cars on 20:08 - Jul 30 with 986 viewsonehunglow

Electric Cars on 20:04 - Jul 30 by NeathJack

There are very few electric cars on the market now that wouldn't be suitable for that. My MG ZS EV would manage it no problem at all.

Are not MGs made in China now?

I had an MGB .Glorious car with style and now a classic and rightly so.

Electric Cars on 20:19 - Jul 30 with 977 viewsNeathJack

Electric Cars on 20:08 - Jul 30 by onehunglow

Are not MGs made in China now?

I had an MGB .Glorious car with style and now a classic and rightly so.

Yes they are.
Electric Cars on 20:21 - Jul 30 with 973 viewsonehunglow

Electric Cars on 20:19 - Jul 30 by NeathJack

Yes they are.

I am ambivolent about EVs although they are the future but it depend on what future I have.

I cannot see petrol and Diesel cars vanishing any time soon.

Maybe footballers could take the lead on Evs and sponsor them;drive one even.

Electric Cars on 20:23 - Jul 30 with 971 viewsBoundy

Electric Cars on 10:50 - Jul 30 by controversial_jack

Why ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024