Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The defence 08:37 - Sep 19 with 700 viewsmagicdaps10

Aside from Naughton, is there any of the rest capable playing in the system that Martin wants?

Cabango at a push but I feel Bennett is and will struggle week in week out.

I would put Naughton out to the right hand side and play Downes in the centre playing that roll coming out into midfield, would allow Grimes to be in midfield with let's say Fulton alongside him and Ntcham in front of them.

Cabango taking that other slot alongside Downes and Naughton.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

The defence on 08:44 - Sep 19 with 679 viewsKeithHaynes

Bennett was played well advanced in the second half, he seems to have slowed dramatically recently. Positioning at times too is poor. As for Naughton, for me he is far to ponderous, many times yesterday when he gave the ball away and was so slow moving into space, Rhys had a mare yesterday but has got quality.

For me as it stands.
In a three
Williams, Cabango, B. Cooper
In a four
Laird, Cabango, B.Cooper, Bidwell

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The defence on 09:16 - Sep 19 with 641 viewsDr_Parnassus

Our defence not only needs to be extremely comfortable with ball at feet but needs pace too. Of late we have been very susceptible to the straight ball over the top, apart from pressing when we have the ball in dangerous areas, that has been one of the oppositions favourite angles of attack.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

The defence on 09:41 - Sep 19 with 619 viewsBadlands

Cabango is fine, not a sprinter but covers the ground a lot quicker than some fans give him credit. Yesterday in open play, from the edge of their penalty area he turned a defender and set up Ntcham's to shoot at goal ... goal. A stat that can not be ignored from yesterday is the number of headers won by the CB; Williams, Bennett and Naughton (5 halves) won 4 headers while Cabango (1 half) won 6.
Bennett is what has always been, fairly reliable.
Juries out on Williams IMO, a must play after his performance against Hull ... a must not after yesterday. Hull didn't offer much. That said without effective wing backs the back three are going to be pulled apart and currently Bidwell is the only player who can fulfil the role.
Downes is another who had a fantastic game last Saturday but a shocker yesterday.
I think Cooper has dropped out of the automatic choice spots.
Naughton is not a central CB but in the fullback/centre back position on the right he's invaluable. What is unfathomable is why play Naughton in the centre of a three and put Bennett wide?
If you play a three at he back the wingbacks and CDM must fill the gaps when the opposition have possession.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The defence on 09:51 - Sep 19 with 609 viewsjackrmee

I think it's the defensive shape that needs to be talked about, not necessarily the personnel.

We have a plethora of CBs who can play, with not a lot between them in terms of quality and chance to get in the team.

What I can't get my head around is how they are being asked to play. I don't think I've seen these tactics before.

It seems like we are trying to play a high backline, with the GK sweeping up and WBs the highest payers up the field.
We have one central CB, who stays in the middle, with RCB & LCB playing on the touchline or not far off, with one of our CDMs dropping back into the backline to make an extra CB (Downes).

It doesn't seem to be working, but what is the idea of those tactics?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The defence on 10:07 - Sep 19 with 588 viewsonehunglow

Naughton should not be playing.
Too slow
Awkward and always liable for a card and penalty.

Vastly overated.

Yet a solid pro like Bennett gets called a liability
[Post edited 19 Sep 2021 10:08]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The defence on 10:28 - Sep 19 with 576 viewsjackrmee

The defence on 10:07 - Sep 19 by onehunglow

Naughton should not be playing.
Too slow
Awkward and always liable for a card and penalty.

Vastly overated.

Yet a solid pro like Bennett gets called a liability
[Post edited 19 Sep 2021 10:08]

It seems like the defence is a bit of a conundrum.

I don't think any of us on this forum can agree on which CBs should play.

Everyone has an opinion and due to the amount of decent CBs we have, no-on can agree on the best 3 to play.

I think WIlliams has been the one who most people think needs to play.
Apart from that, we have had people say that the starting CB should be:
Cabango.
Naughton.
Bennett.
Cooper.
Manning.

No-one on here can agree, so this surely shows how much of a difficult decision it is for management?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The defence on 10:33 - Sep 19 with 570 viewsonehunglow

Fair point jackarmee

It' what gets me bringing in young lads who are wet behind the eyes.We really don't need that.
On other hand Ntcham is a canny signing but I truly worry about Martin's handing of players.He seems bent on destroying Whittaker,already has with Cullen but he persists with Grimes which is ludicrous.

Back to Ntcham,this guy could chin Russ if he repeats that line up for the start of yesterdays game . This is a player to excite and inspire us. We need to look after him-as we do Piroe.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The defence on 11:20 - Sep 19 with 531 viewsjackrmee

The defence on 10:33 - Sep 19 by onehunglow

Fair point jackarmee

It' what gets me bringing in young lads who are wet behind the eyes.We really don't need that.
On other hand Ntcham is a canny signing but I truly worry about Martin's handing of players.He seems bent on destroying Whittaker,already has with Cullen but he persists with Grimes which is ludicrous.

Back to Ntcham,this guy could chin Russ if he repeats that line up for the start of yesterdays game . This is a player to excite and inspire us. We need to look after him-as we do Piroe.

I can see your point, but he's not the only manager who has persisted with Grimes.
Potter didn't fancy him in the CDM role, but wanted him at left back.
Cooper loved him and made him captain.

I don't think he should be in the team, but we are not there every day. He must be doing something right.

As for handling players.
I can see your point here as well, but it's not simply black and white.
I love the look of Piroe and I would definitely pick him every week. If he's not in the side, like he was yesterday, then I'll be disappointed and I was shouting at the TV yesterday to get him on.
That doesn't mean I think the manager doesn't know what he's doing. I think that he must know what he's doing, so I trust and hope he does.

Piroe got dropped at the start of the season and missed one game. We don't really know what happened and you say it is terrible man management.
But we don't know that.
It could have been fantastic man management for all we know.
For all we know, Piroe may have taken whatever it was the manager told him on board and that is the exact reason he's gone on and scored the goals he has. I'm not saying that's what happened, but neither of us know.
I'm not going round shouting that RM is the best man manager on the planet, due to making Piroe score goals by dropping him, but you are saying the opposite.
My point is neither of us know, so why are you so mad about it?

With Ntcham, I think even the player knows he is not ready to play every week. I think I remember him saying something along those lines in an interview.
Everyone has said that he won't be ready and no-one expected him to be.
It was RM who was saying that Ntcham was in excellent shape and he picked him at the very first opportunity he could, which surprised me, as I thought he would take ore time to get in the team.
He has been managed well and RM even said that against Luton, the plan was to play Walshy for 60 mins and then get Ntcham on. I'm sure he would have spoken to both players about that and they were fully understanding.

How is that bad player management?

Login to get fewer ads

The defence on 11:48 - Sep 19 with 491 viewsCatullus

The defence on 11:20 - Sep 19 by jackrmee

I can see your point, but he's not the only manager who has persisted with Grimes.
Potter didn't fancy him in the CDM role, but wanted him at left back.
Cooper loved him and made him captain.

I don't think he should be in the team, but we are not there every day. He must be doing something right.

As for handling players.
I can see your point here as well, but it's not simply black and white.
I love the look of Piroe and I would definitely pick him every week. If he's not in the side, like he was yesterday, then I'll be disappointed and I was shouting at the TV yesterday to get him on.
That doesn't mean I think the manager doesn't know what he's doing. I think that he must know what he's doing, so I trust and hope he does.

Piroe got dropped at the start of the season and missed one game. We don't really know what happened and you say it is terrible man management.
But we don't know that.
It could have been fantastic man management for all we know.
For all we know, Piroe may have taken whatever it was the manager told him on board and that is the exact reason he's gone on and scored the goals he has. I'm not saying that's what happened, but neither of us know.
I'm not going round shouting that RM is the best man manager on the planet, due to making Piroe score goals by dropping him, but you are saying the opposite.
My point is neither of us know, so why are you so mad about it?

With Ntcham, I think even the player knows he is not ready to play every week. I think I remember him saying something along those lines in an interview.
Everyone has said that he won't be ready and no-one expected him to be.
It was RM who was saying that Ntcham was in excellent shape and he picked him at the very first opportunity he could, which surprised me, as I thought he would take ore time to get in the team.
He has been managed well and RM even said that against Luton, the plan was to play Walshy for 60 mins and then get Ntcham on. I'm sure he would have spoken to both players about that and they were fully understanding.

How is that bad player management?

J, he is 'so mad about it' because he has already decided that Martin is not the manager for us, he is a bad choice, a wrong choice and needs getting rid of. It's that simple.

I do not know and cannot see what OHL sees that draws those conclusions, maybe in time, if OHL is right, I will see. OHL made drew those conclusions very early on and I am still giving Martin time.

For me Cabango has to start and so does Williams, he has quality but is still learning and the more he plays the quicker he'll learn, hopefully. The third CB is a bit of a quandarry, I'll go with Naughton as long as he's played on the right. Otherwise I'll say B Cooper but Cabango aside there is no real standout choice.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The defence on 11:58 - Sep 19 with 470 viewsBadlands

The defence on 09:51 - Sep 19 by jackrmee

I think it's the defensive shape that needs to be talked about, not necessarily the personnel.

We have a plethora of CBs who can play, with not a lot between them in terms of quality and chance to get in the team.

What I can't get my head around is how they are being asked to play. I don't think I've seen these tactics before.

It seems like we are trying to play a high backline, with the GK sweeping up and WBs the highest payers up the field.
We have one central CB, who stays in the middle, with RCB & LCB playing on the touchline or not far off, with one of our CDMs dropping back into the backline to make an extra CB (Downes).

It doesn't seem to be working, but what is the idea of those tactics?

It is the basic Centre Half with Left Back and Right Back as we used to play before 4 4 2 or 4 2 4. were popularised at international and elite level in the late 50s and 60 and filtered down to domestic sides through the 60s.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The defence on 12:16 - Sep 19 with 449 viewsangryjack

Naughton shouldn't be anywhere near the team.panicks under pressure his passing is abysmal.liability
The defence on 13:13 - Sep 19 with 421 viewsjackrmee

The defence on 11:58 - Sep 19 by Badlands

It is the basic Centre Half with Left Back and Right Back as we used to play before 4 4 2 or 4 2 4. were popularised at international and elite level in the late 50s and 60 and filtered down to domestic sides through the 60s.

OK, thanks.
I have never seen a back 3 play like that.
I mean, so far apart from eachother. Usually I've seen a back 3 of 3 CBs, not 1 CB with 2 fullbacks and 2 wingbacks in the same team.

The defence on 20:42 - Sep 19 with 312 viewsWalterBoyd

We rarely agree on a back 3, can you imagine a starting 11.

Even team shape is not established.

Long way to go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024