Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin is for the 'long term'. 20:41 - Oct 2 with 2004 viewsReslovenSwan1

Russell Martin has mentioned in two or three of his press conferences that he is here for the "long term". What does this mean?

Swansea have relied in the past on the knowledge of Huw Jenkins to find managers that suit the passing philosophy of the club. His works was exceptional from Flynn through to Martinez, Sousa, Brendan Laudrup and Potter.

The problem of this was that none stayed in place more than a season or two. Eventually changing manager took it's toll. Clement saw decline in line with poor recruitment from Leadbetter. Bony, Clucas, Mesa .

Potter looked like a long term d fix but any verbal agreements with the chairman at the time became null and void after 'Jamesgate' and the Chair's resignation.

Clearly the new model is a manager in place not for 2 seasons but 4 or 5. The benefit of this is clear to see with smaller clubs like Norwich and Burnley Farke and Dyche. If Martin can match those two then the team will spend time in the Premier league.

Winter has a PL promotion to his name already. A solid managerial team of Winter Allen Scott and Martin staying in place for 5 seasons with an established way of playing is the best bet for SIlverstein, Kaplan and Levien to make huge profits. I believe the main driver of this strategy is Mr Silverstein.

Russell Martin has a contract but I believe has an understanding that if there is year on year progress he will be given several seasons to get to the Premier league. If it is looking promising the US investor could pump in more cash initially as a convertible loan. I believe he understands this patience and time given to him has to be reciprocated to the rest of the management team once Potter goes to Liverpool and Dan Ashcroft comes calling asking if Martin is willing to talk.

I hope Martin has a nice new villa on the Gower, He may as well settle down. He will in my opinion be there for some time.

Watch out for the 'long term' quotes.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 14:28 - Oct 3 with 484 viewsDr_Parnassus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 14:21 - Oct 3 by ReslovenSwan1

Guehi £20m was outside Swansea budget. People in the know realised his worth. He only needed 5 or 6 games to impress.

Brewster was hot stuff but hit the skids at £23m well outside Swansea budget. He is having a bit of a drab spell like that other really good player Goykeres had at Swansea. He was not an England u17 favourite.

Gallager was mentioned on MotD as a potential England squad candidate £25m at least. Woodman had his doubters but followed the game plan and would cost several millions.

The -£40m decifit was covered by these loans as a quick fix. Out James McBurnie Rodon in Gallagher, Brewster, Guehi with Ayew tucking into the parachute.

You are stating these values AFTER they left us and Cooper had a hand in their development. These were not £20m players prior to coming here that’s for sure. As I said, Brewster is now a Championship sub striker, reckon anyone values him anywhere near that now? Me neither.

Gallagher is NOW a potential England squad candidate yes, now. He wasn’t when he was with us.

Your reasoning isn’t making much sense to me, especially when we have raided Man Utd and Liverpool for further loans this season.

Williams has had more Premier League appearances for Liverpool than Guehi, Gallagher and Brewster has combined for their clubs when we signed them.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 14:31 - Oct 3 with 488 viewsChief

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 14:21 - Oct 3 by ReslovenSwan1

Guehi £20m was outside Swansea budget. People in the know realised his worth. He only needed 5 or 6 games to impress.

Brewster was hot stuff but hit the skids at £23m well outside Swansea budget. He is having a bit of a drab spell like that other really good player Goykeres had at Swansea. He was not an England u17 favourite.

Gallager was mentioned on MotD as a potential England squad candidate £25m at least. Woodman had his doubters but followed the game plan and would cost several millions.

The -£40m decifit was covered by these loans as a quick fix. Out James McBurnie Rodon in Gallagher, Brewster, Guehi with Ayew tucking into the parachute.

Whether Brewster was an England u17 international is irrelevant. When he was with us, he was worthy of his place and scored goals. He was 'favourite' because he scored goals.

Gyorkeres wasn't worthy of a starting spot for a team challenging for promotion. He didn't take his chances, he didn't score any goals.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 15:02 - Oct 3 with 475 viewsReslovenSwan1

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 14:31 - Oct 3 by Chief

Whether Brewster was an England u17 international is irrelevant. When he was with us, he was worthy of his place and scored goals. He was 'favourite' because he scored goals.

Gyorkeres wasn't worthy of a starting spot for a team challenging for promotion. He didn't take his chances, he didn't score any goals.

Goykeres when starting in the FA cup scored a lovely goal v Stevenage and played very well. I was personally surprised he was not kept on. I saw his potential. When Coventry forked out under £1m for him I was confident he would deliver and he has. I also rated Surridge. Swansea City academy and region imply does not produce theses players.

The club has imported quite a few outsiders over the years who have ended up lower league of less. Nouble, Proctor, Boti Biabi, Baker-Richardson. McBurnie was the standout and needed a couple of loans.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 15:13 - Oct 3 with 468 viewsraynor94

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 11:51 - Oct 3 by onehunglow

Keith
In what way he he getting it right.
On results.performances,individual skills,judgement . I see nothing like this.

We talk long term which would be fine if we were under the management of a proven stipulated would result in bans.

Every fan should have his say without it being logged for years to use in an insulting manner.

But it's not posted in an insulting manner, 90% of the time it's showing how wrong you have been.

This was always going to be a transitional season with Cooper leaving, just strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 16:35 - Oct 3 with 441 viewsDr_Parnassus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 15:02 - Oct 3 by ReslovenSwan1

Goykeres when starting in the FA cup scored a lovely goal v Stevenage and played very well. I was personally surprised he was not kept on. I saw his potential. When Coventry forked out under £1m for him I was confident he would deliver and he has. I also rated Surridge. Swansea City academy and region imply does not produce theses players.

The club has imported quite a few outsiders over the years who have ended up lower league of less. Nouble, Proctor, Boti Biabi, Baker-Richardson. McBurnie was the standout and needed a couple of loans.

From memory you said you preferred Garrick up front and when the Americans came in Jan you backed that decision because Gyokeres “wasn’t very good”.

Let’s not rewrite history.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 16:48 - Oct 3 with 438 viewsChief

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 15:02 - Oct 3 by ReslovenSwan1

Yes I saw that match against league 2 Stevenage. As I recall he fluffed several other chances.

Haha that's revisionist nonsense - no one was surprised to see him go. He was terrible. Don't be silly again, what evidence was there to suggest he'd deliver for Coventry?

Yes so we loan them and then develop them for other clubs which you complain about when it suits you.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 17:31 - Oct 3 with 422 viewsReslovenSwan1

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 16:48 - Oct 3 by Chief

Yes I saw that match against league 2 Stevenage. As I recall he fluffed several other chances.

Haha that's revisionist nonsense - no one was surprised to see him go. He was terrible. Don't be silly again, what evidence was there to suggest he'd deliver for Coventry?

Yes so we loan them and then develop them for other clubs which you complain about when it suits you.

He actually played well but gave away a penalty. I have pointed out before Swansea do not produce this sort of player. The local lads cannot even compete with Boti Biabbi. Big mobile forwards that can hold up the ball run and shoot.

Lovely cross by Garrick back of the net. Cullen is not good in the air with the goal gapping as he showed yesterday. Did he miss it through timing or maybe it was hit too hard for him?

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 17:37 - Oct 3 with 421 viewsChief

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 17:31 - Oct 3 by ReslovenSwan1

He actually played well but gave away a penalty. I have pointed out before Swansea do not produce this sort of player. The local lads cannot even compete with Boti Biabbi. Big mobile forwards that can hold up the ball run and shoot.

Lovely cross by Garrick back of the net. Cullen is not good in the air with the goal gapping as he showed yesterday. Did he miss it through timing or maybe it was hit too hard for him?

Well I wasn't particularly impressed with him against league 2 Stevenage personally but there we are. Struggling to see your point and how it relates to Gyorkeres on not producing strikers.

Not sure what you're grasping at with Cullen either. Although similar to Gyorkeres for us last season, he's also not showing enough to warrant a place in the team.

Login to get fewer ads

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 18:32 - Oct 3 with 410 viewsReslovenSwan1

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 17:37 - Oct 3 by Chief

Well I wasn't particularly impressed with him against league 2 Stevenage personally but there we are. Struggling to see your point and how it relates to Gyorkeres on not producing strikers.

Not sure what you're grasping at with Cullen either. Although similar to Gyorkeres for us last season, he's also not showing enough to warrant a place in the team.

Bidwell put in a beautiful cross Mcburnie would have buried it. It went whizzing past Cullen. If he wants to score he needs to get hurt sometimes. If he does not he can work in an office.

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 19:12 - Oct 3 with 400 viewsChief

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 18:32 - Oct 3 by ReslovenSwan1

Bidwell put in a beautiful cross Mcburnie would have buried it. It went whizzing past Cullen. If he wants to score he needs to get hurt sometimes. If he does not he can work in an office.

Yes he should have scored

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 19:55 - Oct 3 with 385 viewsmonmouth

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 21:24 - Oct 2 by KeithHaynes

And for those that don’t like the thought of Martin here for for the long haul it’s pointless. He will be, as I said even if we lose five on the trot.

Yep, as I see it the Cooper fanboys, stats monkeys and hysterical knicker wetters can scream and scream until they are sick, but unless the wheels totally come off, humpings and bottom or adrift with players revolt, he will get the time he should get. And that’s two years.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 22:00 - Oct 3 with 352 viewsDr_Parnassus

Martin is for the 'long term'. on 19:55 - Oct 3 by monmouth

Yep, as I see it the Cooper fanboys, stats monkeys and hysterical knicker wetters can scream and scream until they are sick, but unless the wheels totally come off, humpings and bottom or adrift with players revolt, he will get the time he should get. And that’s two years.

Why “should” anyone get 2 years?

Fantasy I’m afraid.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024