Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tommy Hutchison 14:39 - Jan 3 with 5347 viewsMrMagic

Hi, a Coventry fan here. I am writing a book about former Swan,Tommy Hutchison. I spent a week at the end of September recording his story with him in Fife. His career was so long and he has so many great stories that we had another week and a half on Zoom calls to cover his whole career!

I was a teenager in the 70s when he was at my club and I have never seen a player like him who could generate excitement in the crowd everytime he recieved the ball.He was fantastic to watch. I never thought that 50 odd years later I would have got to know him. He is a funny, down to earth bloke who has no airs and graces.

I hope the book will be out sometime this year. He had a lot to say about his Swansea years as, to say the least it was a turbulent time for your club, particularly with characters like Doug Sharpe around.

I am putting similar messages to this on the fans forums of all of Tommy's old clubs. I am hoping to have a section at the back of the book where fans of Alloa, Blackpool, Coventry, Seattle Sounders, Man City, Bulgaria (difficult as they don't exist any more), Burnley, Swansea, Merthyr and Scotland can give any of their memories of meeting Tommy or of games he played in. He certainly enjoyed his time in South Wales and he continued to live there until his retirement as a Football in the Community officer for Bristol City and he moved back to Fife. I've had some great comments from Blackpool and Coventry fans so far and I am sure many Swansea fans will good memories of him.
You can either put your comments on this thread or you can email me at;

mrmagicfootball@outlook.com

Thanks in advance for any contributions.Apologies if I bump this thread occasionally to give everyone who knew Hutch a chance to contribute.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Tommy Hutchison on 20:00 - Jan 4 with 3845 viewsswan85

Good evening, best of luck with the book. For me, I was early teens when Tommy signed for us. He was a great servant for the club and as you say at a very difficult time in our history.

One memory when we played Panathinaikos in the European Cup winners cup, at the Vetch 89/90, the game was a bit fruity and one of their players just kicked Tommy. Tommy even asked the ref not to book the player, how many players these days would do this - in fact many the opposite!

Always loved the fact he was the oldest player in the football league when he played for. Wish him well, I remember him fondly.
Tommy Hutchison on 23:29 - Jan 4 with 3806 viewsMrMagic

Thanks very much for the reply. I will mention it to Tommy and see if he remembers the incident. He has spoken to me about the Panethaniakos game and it was one of the highlights of his Swansea days.
Tommy Hutchison on 10:26 - Jan 5 with 3765 viewsGruffStephens

Hi, we will give this a bump now and again.
Tommy Hutchison on 18:59 - Jan 5 with 3698 viewsMrMagic

Thank you!
Tommy Hutchison on 23:29 - Jan 5 with 3661 viewsKilkennyjack

He coached the Swans u18s when Coleman was playing.

This team were in the Swansea Sunday League.
Division 3.

Unbelievable.
Played at Tir Canol.

Marvellous player right through his long career, gifted.

Beware of the Risen People

Tommy Hutchison on 20:55 - Jan 17 with 3530 viewsbuilthjack

Oh Tommy Tommy,
Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy Hutchison.

The thicko's said Hutchinson.

Sang by the North Bank every home game he played.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Tommy Hutchison on 21:06 - Feb 11 with 3188 viewsMrMagic

Tommy Hutchison on 20:55 - Jan 17 by builthjack

Oh Tommy Tommy,
Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy Hutchison.

The thicko's said Hutchinson.

Sang by the North Bank every home game he played.

I have recently had the book mentioned above published. It is called ‘Hutch Hard Work and Belief’.
Tommy will be the guest of the club at the match against Coventry on April 7 (Good Friday). We will be selling copies of the book in the club shop before the game and in the lounges before and after the match.
Tommy joined Swansea at the age of 37. He stayed for five years, played nearly 200 games for the club and was there in a momentous and turbulent time. Five chapters of the book are devoted to his time at the club. Anyone who remembers Doug Sharpe’s chairmanship will find the stories enlightening!
Tommy really enjoyed his time in South Wales. He played on for another three years after leaving Swansea, at Merthyr and then worked for several more years as a football development officer for the PFA up and down the valleys. His daughter still lives in Swansea.
Tommy is a down to earth and humble chap. I didn’t know him before writing the book book but I was really pleased to find out he was such a good bloke. When he is in Swansea, please come over and say hello and have a picture with him whether buying a book or not. He really enjoys chatting to fans.

I have to say I have been very impressed with the reception we have been given by Swansea. They couldn’t have been more helpful and generous. Coventry, Blackpool and Alloa have all been lovely too. This is in contrast to Man City who invited us to a game but wouldn’t let us sell books either inside or outside of the ground. We didn’t attend in the end.
I was hoping to set up a forum in or close to Swansea on the Thursday night before the game. This would be a Q and A session with Tommy, probably in a social club. We have done a few of these in Coventry, a couple for Man City fans ( in contrast to their club, they have been great) and are doing one in Blackpool too. The ones we have done have all been great events. When details of Tommy’s programme for the couple of days he is in town are clear, I will post them on here.

For anyone who would like to buy a signed copy of the book or who won’t be around when Tommy is in Swansea, you can have a book delivered to your door by using the link below.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfard87yfsj-_jL4Kd3YV7M2glykk0m8s5LtTP

Thanks
[Post edited 3 Apr 2023 11:38]
Tommy Hutchison on 21:39 - Feb 11 with 3124 viewsScotia

I was in college with his son David. Absolutely lovely and down to earth lad, obviously from a good family.

Fond memories of my mate as a mascot having a photo with Tommy on an exercise bike in the gym at the Vetch.

His like will never be seen again.
Login to get fewer ads

Tommy Hutchison on 22:15 - Feb 11 with 3082 viewsMrMagic

Tommy Hutchison on 21:39 - Feb 11 by Scotia

I was in college with his son David. Absolutely lovely and down to earth lad, obviously from a good family.

Fond memories of my mate as a mascot having a photo with Tommy on an exercise bike in the gym at the Vetch.

His like will never be seen again.

I’ve met David. Still a very nice chap. All Tommy’s children have done well for themselves.7
Tommy Hutchison on 22:23 - Feb 11 with 3076 viewsAnotherJohn

Tommy was certainly a great servant for the Swans. I well remember a game at the Vetch when he turned out for Merthyr in the Welsh Cup. The North bank gave him some rousing choruses of Tommy, Tommy etc, and one bloke near me shouted out: "Tommy you old bastard, isn't it time you hung up your boots?" I couldn't help thinking this was a bit premature as Tommy was giving our full back quite a hard evening, despite being in his 40s. A few years later I was taking a visitor from Scotland for a walk along the path from Southgate to Three Cliffs Bay, and passed him jogging in his tracksuit. I was quite chuffed to say to her, "There goes a Scotland international".
Tommy Hutchison on 22:53 - Feb 11 with 3033 viewsFireboy2

I absolutely loved watching Tommy, for two reasons, 1. When he had the ball, the opposition couldn't get it off him, it was like the ball was glued to his foot and 2. He looked the spit of my late great dad 😁👍
Tommy Hutchison on 00:45 - Feb 12 with 2983 viewsAguycalledJack

My much older cousin was a mechanic for Mercedes Benz. Tommy had a red merc at the time. Used to park it inside the ground by the centre stand. Tommy gave me and my other cousins ( we were between 7 and 11 at the time) a tour of the changing rooms and behind the scenes at the vetch one match day. As he was my favourite player and remains so to this day , that is an afternoon that has stayed with me. I’ve got a signed photo of us with Tommy somewhere. Great player, lovely bloke.

PS. The book is a good read. Deadly Doug 😂
Tommy Hutchison on 05:46 - Feb 12 with 2957 viewsjackal

The only man to score for both side in the FA Cup final.

He was brilliant for us and I'm glad that he's fit and well.
Tommy Hutchison on 07:58 - Feb 12 with 2901 viewsSTID2017

Tommy Hutchison on 21:06 - Feb 11 by MrMagic

I have recently had the book mentioned above published. It is called ‘Hutch Hard Work and Belief’.
Tommy will be the guest of the club at the match against Coventry on April 7 (Good Friday). We will be selling copies of the book in the club shop before the game and in the lounges before and after the match.
Tommy joined Swansea at the age of 37. He stayed for five years, played nearly 200 games for the club and was there in a momentous and turbulent time. Five chapters of the book are devoted to his time at the club. Anyone who remembers Doug Sharpe’s chairmanship will find the stories enlightening!
Tommy really enjoyed his time in South Wales. He played on for another three years after leaving Swansea, at Merthyr and then worked for several more years as a football development officer for the PFA up and down the valleys. His daughter still lives in Swansea.
Tommy is a down to earth and humble chap. I didn’t know him before writing the book book but I was really pleased to find out he was such a good bloke. When he is in Swansea, please come over and say hello and have a picture with him whether buying a book or not. He really enjoys chatting to fans.

I have to say I have been very impressed with the reception we have been given by Swansea. They couldn’t have been more helpful and generous. Coventry, Blackpool and Alloa have all been lovely too. This is in contrast to Man City who invited us to a game but wouldn’t let us sell books either inside or outside of the ground. We didn’t attend in the end.
I was hoping to set up a forum in or close to Swansea on the Thursday night before the game. This would be a Q and A session with Tommy, probably in a social club. We have done a few of these in Coventry, a couple for Man City fans ( in contrast to their club, they have been great) and are doing one in Blackpool too. The ones we have done have all been great events. When details of Tommy’s programme for the couple of days he is in town are clear, I will post them on here.

For anyone who would like to buy a signed copy of the book or who won’t be around when Tommy is in Swansea, you can have a book delivered to your door by using the link below.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfard87yfsj-_jL4Kd3YV7M2glykk0m8s5LtTP

Thanks
[Post edited 3 Apr 2023 11:38]

Look forward to reading the book.
Maybe Keith can suggest someone to organise the Thursday night Forum?
As I suggested elsewhere, the Landore Social Club may be a good venue to hold it ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Tommy Hutchison on 12:54 - Feb 12 with 2752 viewsmagicdaps10

Remember him getting fouled whilst playing against Crewe, he was sat on the floor and not one bit happy with the opposition player.......sat on the floor on his backside, he aimed his left foot with studs showing right towards the Crewe players crown jewels.

I would have only been about 8 or 9 but something that really sticks out fresh in my mind with Tommy Hutchinson.

Always used to think how old he was when he was playing for us, was ancient at the time for me..........i am now older myself than what he was playing for the Swans at the time.

Scary thought.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Tommy Hutchison on 14:40 - Feb 12 with 2706 viewsMrMagic

Tommy Hutchison on 12:54 - Feb 12 by magicdaps10

Remember him getting fouled whilst playing against Crewe, he was sat on the floor and not one bit happy with the opposition player.......sat on the floor on his backside, he aimed his left foot with studs showing right towards the Crewe players crown jewels.

I would have only been about 8 or 9 but something that really sticks out fresh in my mind with Tommy Hutchinson.

Always used to think how old he was when he was playing for us, was ancient at the time for me..........i am now older myself than what he was playing for the Swans at the time.

Scary thought.

Thanks for all of the comments and memories of Tommy. I have copied them and sent them over to him. He often says that no one will remember him. Nice to prove him wrong but give him a boost at the same time!
Tommy Hutchison on 14:49 - Feb 12 with 2697 viewsKeithHaynes

Tommy Hutchison on 14:40 - Feb 12 by MrMagic

Thanks for all of the comments and memories of Tommy. I have copied them and sent them over to him. He often says that no one will remember him. Nice to prove him wrong but give him a boost at the same time!

Personally I will always remember him cutting the Panthiniakos defence apart at the vetch field in what I think was possibly a game that was decided by finance from the dark corners of Greece.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Tommy Hutchison on 16:41 - Feb 12 with 2626 viewsswancity

Tommy Hutchison on 14:40 - Feb 12 by MrMagic

As a Swansea fan since 1971 it pleases me to say that he’s been one of my favourite Swans players. Elegant and skilful he was a delight on that left side with football intelligence and a fitness level that enabled him to carry on effectively into his 40s. I’m pretty sure at 43 he was our oldest ever player in a league game?

I’d like to buy a copy of the book and signed if possible.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Tommy Hutchison on 18:00 - Feb 12 with 2567 viewsswan65split

I first saw him play for Blackpool v Cardiff......at Ninian Park dont shout lads!!! in 1968/9 ish a night game, me and my father went I was surprised, he didnt look a footballer , tall skinny , but he tore them apart and they won 1-0 ,,,,there we are Justice lads.
Tommy Hutchison on 18:42 - Feb 12 with 2531 viewsKeithHaynes

Tommy Hutchison on 16:41 - Feb 12 by swancity

As a Swansea fan since 1971 it pleases me to say that he’s been one of my favourite Swans players. Elegant and skilful he was a delight on that left side with football intelligence and a fitness level that enabled him to carry on effectively into his 40s. I’m pretty sure at 43 he was our oldest ever player in a league game?

I’d like to buy a copy of the book and signed if possible.

Did he talk about Chris Coleman is a question I would like to ask.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Tommy Hutchison on 19:25 - Feb 12 with 2498 viewsQJumpingJack

I can remember in December 1993 he was playing for Merthyr Tydfil.
We played Merthyr in the Welsh Cup (it may have been a Thursday night). Swansea won but he was the best player on the pitch and he must have been mid 40s by then.
Tommy Hutchison on 19:36 - Feb 12 with 2492 viewsbuilthjack

An amazing player with a magic foot.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Tommy Hutchison on 22:03 - Feb 12 with 2423 viewsswan65split

Tommy Hutchison on 05:46 - Feb 12 by jackal

The only man to score for both side in the FA Cup final.

He was brilliant for us and I'm glad that he's fit and well.

Accidently nearly burnt the house down that day!!! ended up watching the game with my hand in pain after pulling a burning curtain down!!!!!
Tommy Hutchison on 06:14 - Feb 13 with 2375 viewsjackal

Tommy Hutchison on 22:03 - Feb 12 by swan65split

Accidently nearly burnt the house down that day!!! ended up watching the game with my hand in pain after pulling a burning curtain down!!!!!

Not just Tommy having a painful experience on that day.
Tommy Hutchison on 10:01 - Feb 13 with 2335 viewsswan65split

Tommy Hutchison on 06:14 - Feb 13 by jackal

Not just Tommy having a painful experience on that day.

The air was the colour of his jersey all afternoon, and the bath was scarred with a black stain for many a year!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024