Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The new future 18:54 - Mar 12 with 1090 viewsCatullus

Well then, Putin has done it, united the EU into increasing defence spending and quite possibly, after reading this,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/eu-leaders-announce-intention-to-collective

into having an EU army. If they decide the autonomy they mention means separating from the USA's influence too, it's the end of NATO.

The word is changing again, it always does, lets hope it's a change for the better.

Given the state of the USA's politics, separating from them makes sense now. Having a strong united Europe makes sense. Given the sea change in the way Europe is going to go, the road they are on, it makes more sense for any independent European country to want to be a member of a European defence organisation.

I'm still not a fan of the EU and the way they have behaved but it might now turn out to be a club we NEED to be a member of.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The new future on 20:00 - Mar 12 with 1036 viewsunion_jack

I don’t know about this Cat. In principle yes but that’s not how it will be.

There are too many nationalities and their idiosyncrasies (not stereotypes) that will make cohesion difficult.

Who would lead it? Whoever it was, there’d be disrespect from other member states / countries (if it’s continental Europe).

And cutting the ties with the US. Not a good thing to do. They still have the arsenal to take on any other country and we need them by our side if things get worse in the future.

If we manage to ride this storm though, I can see and I hope we may see a different Russia in the future especially if Putin is deposed.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The new future on 00:39 - Mar 13 with 964 viewsmax936

Russia needs to be brought to book and that means increasing the EU's military power immensely and China's for that matter and individual EU countries can't do that that individually, it needs to be done collectively and fuk the USA off, the EU has relied on them far to much.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2022 0:40]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The new future on 12:05 - Mar 13 with 892 viewsCatullus

The new future on 20:00 - Mar 12 by union_jack

I don’t know about this Cat. In principle yes but that’s not how it will be.

There are too many nationalities and their idiosyncrasies (not stereotypes) that will make cohesion difficult.

Who would lead it? Whoever it was, there’d be disrespect from other member states / countries (if it’s continental Europe).

And cutting the ties with the US. Not a good thing to do. They still have the arsenal to take on any other country and we need them by our side if things get worse in the future.

If we manage to ride this storm though, I can see and I hope we may see a different Russia in the future especially if Putin is deposed.

That is my big issue, a political union will always have too many arguments. NATO has its issues but not as many arguments as the EU has been having.

Is now the time for us to say to the USA we are still friends and allies but maybe we need a European common defence arrangement, outside of the EU, open to non EU members as long as they meet the criteria which could be the same, basically, as NATO's terms.

Surely the EU would have to see the bigger picture and not play politics with European safety?

Maybe if it was a pan European group the Russians wouldn't have as much an issue if the USA were not involved.

Is it time for Western Europe to become it's own keeper AND a superpower?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The new future on 12:09 - Mar 13 with 887 viewsCatullus

The new future on 00:39 - Mar 13 by max936

Russia needs to be brought to book and that means increasing the EU's military power immensely and China's for that matter and individual EU countries can't do that that individually, it needs to be done collectively and fuk the USA off, the EU has relied on them far to much.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2022 0:40]

AS in my answer to UJack, I'm not sure an EU army is the right answer. Do we need a Pan European common defence arrangement without the USA's involvement? Not an EU members only group but something open to any European country regardless of EU membership as long as they can meet the criteria?

Is now the time for Europe to say to the USA and the world, we need to stand on our own as a superpower?

The new future on 13:33 - Mar 13 with 855 viewscontroversial_jack

The EU is not a military organisation
The new future on 13:34 - Mar 13 with 852 viewsLohengrin

The new future on 13:33 - Mar 13 by controversial_jack

Yet.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The new future on 13:35 - Mar 13 with 850 viewsCatullus

Who said it was?

The new future on 13:36 - Mar 13 with 849 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Yes Nick clegg confirmed live on tv that any talk of a eu army is fake news.
Login to get fewer ads

The new future on 13:39 - Mar 13 with 848 viewsLohengrin

The new future on 12:09 - Mar 13 by Catullus

AS in my answer to UJack, I'm not sure an EU army is the right answer. Do we need a Pan European common defence arrangement without the USA's involvement? Not an EU members only group but something open to any European country regardless of EU membership as long as they can meet the criteria?

Is now the time for Europe to say to the USA and the world, we need to stand on our own as a superpower?

Without British involvement it would be a complete non-starter, Cat. And, let’s be honest, those in decision-making positions as well as folk generally would see the Atlantic alliance as essential.

That could change in the coming decades but that’s where we are now.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The new future on 14:13 - Mar 13 with 822 viewsmajorraglan

The new future on 13:39 - Mar 13 by Lohengrin

Without British involvement it would be a complete non-starter, Cat. And, let’s be honest, those in decision-making positions as well as folk generally would see the Atlantic alliance as essential.

The events of the last few weeks have shown us that Europe (and I include the UK in that) must have the capability of defending itself. I see no reason why there is a need for a European force over and above NATO, but we (and our European allies) have consistently run down our military capability and that needs addressing.

Another thing in need of consideration is our approach to IT and our relationship with China. Much has been made of Huawei presence in the UK telecom infrastructure, but given what’s happened in the Ukraine and the claims Huawei are assisting Russia deal stabilise their internet we need to take a long hard look at our relationship. Do we need to stipulate that the chips and components henceforth are sourced from Europe / US even if it mean# paying more for kit?
[Post edited 13 Mar 2022 18:36]
The new future on 17:43 - Mar 13 with 778 viewsCatullus

The new future on 13:39 - Mar 13 by Lohengrin

Which is why I said a pan European organisation, not just an EU army, then we (the UK) could be in it without being in the EU.

I think what is going on in the USA right now means we should look to them less. Any talk of the USA always riles Putin/Russia up all the more.

The USA remains a superpower, even stood alone. A European defence agreement could be a good thing. It seemed to me Trump was close to taking the USA out of NATO because other members were not pulling their weight, who knows what a future POTUS will say. Maybe Europe needs to think more about looking after its own security?

That is something I never thought I'd find myself saying.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024