Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The cost of living 19:09 - Aug 22 with 5401 viewsmagicdaps10

Inflation predicted to hit 18% next year.
Gas and electric bills predicted to go past 5k annually and possibly hit 6k.

Buckle up folks, it's going to be a tough winter unless something is done.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

The cost of living on 19:44 - Aug 22 with 3508 viewsonehunglow

Yep and massive wage rises to come won’t help

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The cost of living on 23:31 - Aug 22 with 3414 viewsBoundy

The cost of living on 19:44 - Aug 22 by onehunglow

Yep and massive wage rises to come won’t help

and having wages which cannot keep pace with inflation won't either , so what will it be .No food , no heating , no education ( can't heat the classrooms ) .Somethings got to give and the way this country's been run for the past decade or more ( remember the bankers mess we had to pay for ) and now this, a perpetual cock up by those who think they're better than us and screw us and keep us down at every opportunity, civil unrest is coming and soon

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The cost of living on 07:29 - Aug 23 with 3374 viewsDr_Winston

A Government paralysed by indecision whilst they spend the best part of two months trying to replace themselves doesn't help either.

I suspect that eventually they'll limit the price cap rise and offer the energy companies Government backed loans instead, but energy is key. It's driving every other rise and the bill that's scaring people the most.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The cost of living on 08:45 - Aug 23 with 3345 viewsWhiterockin

They could slash the predicted 18% inflation rate at a stroke by freezing the energy cap as put forward by Starmer. Inflation is a vicious circle of price and wage increases. Stop it now by freezing the energy cap. Yes it will cost but in the long term it will cost the government more in paying all government employees NHS, Teachers,Civil servants ect ect inflation relation pay increases. When fuel costs come back down and they will, employees will still be receiving the pay increase.
The cost of living on 09:05 - Aug 23 with 3318 viewsmajorraglan

The cost of living on 08:45 - Aug 23 by Whiterockin

They could slash the predicted 18% inflation rate at a stroke by freezing the energy cap as put forward by Starmer. Inflation is a vicious circle of price and wage increases. Stop it now by freezing the energy cap. Yes it will cost but in the long term it will cost the government more in paying all government employees NHS, Teachers,Civil servants ect ect inflation relation pay increases. When fuel costs come back down and they will, employees will still be receiving the pay increase.

Fair point. Energy costs are a major driver of the inflationary pressures, if they can control the costs the; thousands and thousands of businesses will go to the wall and hundreds of thousands will lose their jobs. Several recent newspaper articles have feature stories on pubs, one publican has projected that her energy costs are going to increase from £30k per year to £120k, she’s closing the business and people are losing their jobs. That’s going to be replicated in shops, offices etc and it could be carnage. The government could find the state benefits bill going through the roof. State pensions, indexes linked pensions, government debt repayment etc is all going to rise. There’s a danger that the tax take will drop and the government will face even larger problems.

Read an article earlier suggesting Liz Truss’s budget won’t actual be a budget, it will be a financial event as it will mean she won’t need to have forecasts etc from the Office for Budgetary Responsibility and can avoid scrutiny!!! It’s not looking good!
The cost of living on 09:26 - Aug 23 with 3297 viewsjojaca

Inflation is already over 18%, just look at your food bills.

Even when you know, you never know?

The cost of living on 09:30 - Aug 23 with 3282 viewsWhiterockin

The cost of living on 09:26 - Aug 23 by jojaca

Others will look at their mortgage.
The cost of living on 22:26 - Aug 25 with 3154 viewsJack123

The cost of living on 09:26 - Aug 23 by jojaca

I can't keep track now, it seems on a weekly basis food items are creeping up, just caught news at ten and they are saying the energy price cap announcement is tomorrow morning 7am.. And they fear it will be bad, I have no doubt this will push prices up even further. :(

libera nos a malo

Login to get fewer ads

The cost of living on 22:39 - Aug 25 with 3130 viewsKilkennyjack

The cost of living on 22:26 - Aug 25 by Jack123

I can't keep track now, it seems on a weekly basis food items are creeping up, just caught news at ten and they are saying the energy price cap announcement is tomorrow morning 7am.. And they fear it will be bad, I have no doubt this will push prices up even further. :(

This useless Government need to get a fecking grip.

Many people are full of dread for tomorrow.

Beware of the Risen People

The cost of living on 23:32 - Aug 25 with 3116 viewsJack123

The cost of living on 22:39 - Aug 25 by Kilkennyjack

This useless Government need to get a fecking grip.

Many people are full of dread for tomorrow.

I feel they wont step in, ever, they will most probably offer a higher cost of living payment sometime soon, I think that will be way short.

From what I have read come January , a couple living on their own no children, low income or benefits such as Universal Credit, won't have enough money for electric/gas on it's own, let alone food.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 23:33]

libera nos a malo

The cost of living on 23:41 - Aug 25 with 3107 viewsBoundy

Had a tax rebate today , lovely suprise , guess what it went on , topping up my electric meter

The cost of living on 23:47 - Aug 25 with 3104 viewsBryanSwan

The cost of living on 23:32 - Aug 25 by Jack123

I feel they wont step in, ever, they will most probably offer a higher cost of living payment sometime soon, I think that will be way short.

From what I have read come January , a couple living on their own no children, low income or benefits such as Universal Credit, won't have enough money for electric/gas on it's own, let alone food.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2022 23:33]

Do they ever? Those at the top love a recession, just means they can buy everything up on the cheap.
Everyone is going to get hammered, benefit claimants, low income, average income, pensioners, small buisness owners.
If nothing changes it is going to be a real mess.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

The cost of living on 00:04 - Aug 26 with 3097 viewsJack123

The cost of living on 23:47 - Aug 25 by BryanSwan

Do they ever? Those at the top love a recession, just means they can buy everything up on the cheap.
Everyone is going to get hammered, benefit claimants, low income, average income, pensioners, small buisness owners.
If nothing changes it is going to be a real mess.

Good point about average income. Their disposable income has gone down just the same, so unless their belts are pretty tight, they could be hit even harder, if they default on loans/credit cards.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 0:10]

libera nos a malo

The cost of living on 08:22 - Aug 26 with 3024 viewsjojaca

The increases this morning is like a dagger to the heart for most people, I've prepared for the hit this time, but once it gets to a level where my outgoings exceed my incomings and I can't save money, I am not paying the bill. I'm not working hard for inflation just to eat all my savings away.

I've written above paragraph on energy prices thread, but it's disappeared.

Even when you know, you never know?

The cost of living on 08:41 - Aug 26 with 3014 viewsmagicdaps10

The cost of living on 08:22 - Aug 26 by jojaca

The increases this morning is like a dagger to the heart for most people, I've prepared for the hit this time, but once it gets to a level where my outgoings exceed my incomings and I can't save money, I am not paying the bill. I'm not working hard for inflation just to eat all my savings away.

I've written above paragraph on energy prices thread, but it's disappeared.

It's getting to a point that all disposable income Wil be eaten up on gas, electric and food.

There are going to be many a business fall by the wayside in the next few months, this will lead to unemployment rising.

Its as if the government are setting their stall out to bleed the poorer people out, even the everyday household will get hit hard with it......many a household will have to cut back on holidays, eating and days out.

This is going to hit hard, very hard indeed and to think that some posters on here don't think that this will affect so many being unable to go and watch games.

I really hope these people in charge and letting this happen are held accountable........its a far bigger picture here for sure.

The cost of living on 08:51 - Aug 26 with 3008 viewsScotia

The price cap is forecast to rise to nearly £6000 in January.

That's £6000 per year just to stay warm and keep the lights on.

How the hell are an average working family supposed to pay that on top of other, completely essential, bills?

I've seen today about there being more emphasis on supporting those who need it, and that's great, but I'd say pretty much everyone needs significant support or you can forget about a recession we're heading for a depression.
The cost of living on 09:47 - Aug 26 with 2981 viewsonehunglow

Putin has kippered us all hasnt he.

We are and were too reliant on this filthy despot for his gas.

He is strangling the West,a he said he would.

And some love it

The cost of living on 11:31 - Aug 26 with 2961 viewsmagicdaps10

The cost of living on 09:47 - Aug 26 by onehunglow

Putin has kippered us all hasnt he.

We are and were too reliant on this filthy despot for his gas.

He is strangling the West,a he said he would.

And some love it

He has a part to play in it but the government and greed have more.

I just don't understand the government's end game in all this, unfortunately these families with children will have to make decisions that are going to affect them for years to come.

Its absolutely disgusting what's going on with this government.

5% pay rise for these key workers that the government were praising 18 months ago and now these CEO's of these big companies are having up to 38% pay rises on top of an already disgustingly over paid wage.

The cost of living on 13:05 - Aug 26 with 2927 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The cost of living on 11:31 - Aug 26 by magicdaps10

He has a part to play in it but the government and greed have more.

I just don't understand the government's end game in all this, unfortunately these families with children will have to make decisions that are going to affect them for years to come.

Its absolutely disgusting what's going on with this government.

5% pay rise for these key workers that the government were praising 18 months ago and now these CEO's of these big companies are having up to 38% pay rises on top of an already disgustingly over paid wage.

The global energy crisis is out of the control of any Government. Prices will not fall until we produce more of our energy from UK sourced fuel, coal, North Sea gas and oil, solar, wind power fracking. We must ignore the green lobby for the next year or so.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The cost of living on 13:12 - Aug 26 with 2917 viewsBoundy

The cost of living on 13:05 - Aug 26 by felixstowe_jack

The global energy crisis is out of the control of any Government. Prices will not fall until we produce more of our energy from UK sourced fuel, coal, North Sea gas and oil, solar, wind power fracking. We must ignore the green lobby for the next year or so.

We supply over 50% of our gas from the North Sea so why can't the government put a cap on profits

The cost of living on 13:14 - Aug 26 with 2915 viewsJack123

The typical household energy bill will hit £3,549 a year from 1 October, regulator Ofgem announces

I feel that is an underestimate, if my calculations are correct, I make it 3,120 a year just for electric, dread to think what the gas will be once it get's cold and the heating goes on.

But looking at the price of gas, says it has doubled, 50-60 quid a week.

libera nos a malo

The cost of living on 13:14 - Aug 26 with 2915 viewsangryjack

The cost of living on 13:05 - Aug 26 by felixstowe_jack

Do what I've started to do..steal my food and clothes from some places..
The cost of living on 13:15 - Aug 26 with 2911 viewsonehunglow

The cost of living on 13:12 - Aug 26 by Boundy

We supply over 50% of our gas from the North Sea so why can't the government put a cap on profits

Fair point
We are a gas producer .So is Russia.
We have not prioritised our own needs.

The cost of living on 13:39 - Aug 26 with 2893 viewsExiledJack

The world has an energy production shortfall and a skilled labour shortfall, particularly developed nations. As it would happen, the former and the associated increased cost of living will put pressure on skilled workers to retire later, alleviating the latter somewhat.

At the individual level, all we can do is work more, spend less, and focus on being as self-sufficient and off-grid as possible. For the more entrepreneurial there are some clear opportunities.
The cost of living on 13:51 - Aug 26 with 2887 viewsBoundy

The cost of living on 13:39 - Aug 26 by ExiledJack

The world has an energy production shortfall and a skilled labour shortfall, particularly developed nations. As it would happen, the former and the associated increased cost of living will put pressure on skilled workers to retire later, alleviating the latter somewhat.

At the individual level, all we can do is work more, spend less, and focus on being as self-sufficient and off-grid as possible. For the more entrepreneurial there are some clear opportunities.

all well and good to say retire later but some have physical job which means their unable to continue , would you like to be a manual worker on a building site at 66-68? I'm beginning to struggle now and I was looking to finish work next year , which is probably not going to happen now

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024