Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED 09:05 - Oct 16 with 15065 viewsKeithHaynes

The not Not Loyal match day thread fresh from the beating at Burnley to the battlefields of the Preseli mountains ish.

RamsWeek 7 - Yours Is No Disgrace 16th Feb 2009 01:17
Derby County had a whole week to prepare for their glamour tie in the 5th Round of the FA Cup at home to Manchester United. 0

Joel Piroe out until November as Swansea City don’t appeal his red card 18th Oct 2022 09:00
Twenty three year old Joel Piroe has been banned for three games after his sending off for stamping at Burnley on Saturday. His dismissal in the seventy fourth minute means he misses tonight’s game against Reading, and next Sundays derby clash against Cardiff City. He will also miss the following game at Bristol City. 0

Referee : JAMES BELL
Lino’s : Adam Crysell and Sam Lewis
Fourth Official : Andy Davies

The NL review. James Bell, also known as ding dong to his few friends has been a referee since he was four years of age. His first red card he gave to his next door neighbour at the age of five, his family moved home at that point but didn’t tell him. He was raised in the orphanage for potentially parentless young referees but quickly made his escape to the North Lancashire leagues where his first appointment was with make up manufacturer Avon. He would be lifted up and ring the potential clients doorbell. In school he earned the nickname ‘End’ After qualifying at 14, James Bell primarily officiated games at his secondary school and in the Sheffield & District Junior League. Initially balancing his refereeing and playing commitments, he chose the former and steadily progressed through the system, earning promotion onto the National List of assistant referees at the age of 23.

Bell assisted on both the 2016 FA Youth Cup Final between Manchester City v Chelsea and the 2017 League Two Play-Off Final between Blackpool v Exeter City at Wembley Stadium before choosing the refereeing pathway. He took charge of the National League Play-Off Final between Harrogate Town v Notts County in 2020 before receiving promotion onto the National Group. Bell has since taken charge of semi-finals of each of the EFL Trophy, FA Trophy, FA Sunday Cup, FA Youth Cup and FA County Youth Cup.

Swansea City: Steven Benda; Nathan Wood, Harry Darling, Ben Cabango; Joel Latibeaudiere, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Matty Sorinola; Luke Cundle, Ollie Cooper; Michael Obafemi.

Substitutes: Andy Fisher, Olivier Ntcham, Liam Cullen, Armstrong Oko-Flex, Fin Stevens, Kyle Naughton, Josh Thomas.

Reading: Joe Lumley, Tom Holmes, Tom McIntyre, Jeff Hendrick, Tom Ince, Yakou Meite, Andy Yiadom (captain), Tyrese Fornah, Mamadou Loum, Junior Hoilett, Amadou Mbengue.

Substitutes: Dean Bouzanis, Andy Carroll, Shane Long, Lucas Joao, Baba Rehman, Ovie Ejaria, Nesta Guinness-Walker.

A fantastic Swansea City come back proves the doubters wrong ‘yet again’ 19th Oct 2022 08:00
Swansea City came back from two goals down to hammer home their promotion credentials in a devastating display of finishing at the swansea.com stadium last night. It was as much a surprise to see Reading take a two goal lead as it was for the swans to not be at least two goals up when the first away goal hit the back of Steven Benda’s net. 0

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:04 - Oct 19 with 866 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:00 - Oct 19 by vetchonian

yet others are picked game in game out....Grimes, an example....surely a youngster like Cooper will have the legs?

I have never got my head around this...like I have said previously back in the day only one sub, playing on heavy pitches even at the top table when you watch the the match revisited yet the same players unless out of form or injured were picked week in week out and there would be 3 games in a week then too

The standard wasn’t as high, the training and nutrition were nowhere near.

You’re talking about the days teams would go on a bender on the Thursday for team bonding and have a fry up match day morning.
Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:07 - Oct 19 with 853 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:04 - Oct 19 by jack247

The standard wasn’t as high, the training and nutrition were nowhere near.

You’re talking about the days teams would go on a bender on the Thursday for team bonding and have a fry up match day morning.

Exactly players despite that still turned out for 3 games....

As you say now we have better training, nutrition regimes and medical support yet somehow players get fatigue or need to be rested.

I think you missed my point..

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:38 - Oct 19 with 824 viewsFireboy2

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:07 - Oct 19 by vetchonian

As you say now we have better training, nutrition regimes and medical support yet somehow players get fatigue or need to be rested.

I think the point is that the standard in the championship now is far higher than it was 30/40 years ago on the old first division.
Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:43 - Oct 19 with 813 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 10:56 - Oct 19 by onehunglow

There is a thread,now locked, stating quite clearly the terms and conditions of postings.
For some,these are irrelevant

It is the same people and it always has been.
Clearly,nobody straying away from the party line is tolerated and is bullied .

We won. Guaranteed to see the usual tripe at the usual recipients

This is football we are opining over so get some reality into your lives and hammer those who deserve it.

Have a fab day

Ah yeah those posts, they do raise a smile.

What they actually mean is “if you have opinions that mirror the ones we have - then do as you like, within reason - this doesn’t apply to you. If you make things difficult for us to spin narratives, then we may use the following rules to single you out for banishing….. ”.

As always, I welcome a ban if people find me and my views hard to deal with, I didn’t ask to be reinstated and I won’t be changing anything.

But while I’m here (probably short time) I’ll be speaking as I find as per usual, backed up with facts, data, common sense logic and knowledge.

I won’t be bending my opinion to suit others and I most certainly won’t be shying away from defending myself and others from clear and targeted taunting (despite it being continuously ignored and even encouraged) - especially when we have been proven correct beyond question.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2022 11:48]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:45 - Oct 19 with 815 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:07 - Oct 19 by vetchonian

No, I understood what you meant.

My point was the players of that era wouldn’t last an hour in todays game. They were all playing against opponents who’d been on benders and eating fry ups too.

The pace, standard and fitness requirements are much greater now.
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:49 - Oct 19 with 810 viewsWitneyjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:48 - Oct 18 by Dr_Parnassus

Thank you sir.

I was going to bump that myself but thought I may get a load of abuse for calling it right. Then naturally be blamed for the conflict
[Post edited 18 Oct 2022 22:53]

I'm sat here chuckling to myself.

RM checks Internet at h/t

"Parnussus says we need to reduce possession by 4 % and increase long balls by 3 %"

Gill : " I've been checking the 'possessionometer' he's right you know "

RM " Right boys, get that possession percentage down. We'll be measuring it as we go. Anybody who takes it above 70% is dropped . If we don't do something about it the footballing brains trust on Swans Independent will be rightly pointing out where I've gone wrong.

We have some right beauts following us .....
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:58 - Oct 19 with 798 viewsDr_Parnassus

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:49 - Oct 19 by Witneyjack

"Parnussus says we need to reduce possession by 4 % and increase long balls by 3 %"

RM " Right boys, get that possession percentage down. We'll be measuring it as we go. Anybody who takes it above 70% is dropped . If we don't do something about it the footballing brains trust on Swans Independent will be rightly pointing out where I've gone wrong.

Huh?

Have you read that as me saying he checked here? My point is I called it correct, the changes were obvious.

As you say, we have some beauts. Many of which intentionally misread posts to make a silly point.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2022 11:59]

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:02 - Oct 19 with 786 viewsWitneyjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:58 - Oct 19 by Dr_Parnassus

Huh?

Have you read that as me saying he checked here? My point is I called it correct, the changes were obvious.

As you say, we have some beauts. Many of which intentionally misread posts to make a silly point.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2022 11:59]

Oh dear, the irony........
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:08 - Oct 19 with 764 viewsDr_Parnassus

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:02 - Oct 19 by Witneyjack

Oh dear, the irony........

I see that the penny has dropped then.

Will teach you to read a post properly before jumping in won’t it.

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 12:24 - Oct 19 with 750 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 11:45 - Oct 19 by jack247

No, I understood what you meant.

My point was the players of that era wouldn’t last an hour in todays game. They were all playing against opponents who’d been on benders and eating fry ups too.

The pace, standard and fitness requirements are much greater now.

And with it the support the players receive in terms of conditioning nutrition etc ...the pitches of today are far superior surfaces no more boggy heavy things to run through boots like carpet slippers...

Yet still we talk of fatigue and resting players...despite some players being ever present.

This started as I questioned Oli Coopers omission at Burnley ...someone suggested he was being rested..

His presence has made a difference to our play and despite scoring against Sunderland was dropped I personally think we missed his buzz at Burnley and by the tame he coame on its was too late.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:41 - Oct 19 with 722 viewsploppy

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:49 - Oct 19 by Witneyjack

You couldn't make it up. The idea that we would deliberately reduce our possession in order to win a game is, frankly, ridiculous. What we should have done, once we took the lead, was aim for 100% possession. It would have made for a more comfortable last 15mins.
(No subject) (n/t) on 12:46 - Oct 19 with 712 viewsDr_Parnassus

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:41 - Oct 19 by ploppy

You couldn't make it up. The idea that we would deliberately reduce our possession in order to win a game is, frankly, ridiculous. What we should have done, once we took the lead, was aim for 100% possession. It would have made for a more comfortable last 15mins.

Jesus, are you serious?

It’s not about simply reducing possession, it’s applying things in the game that naturally reduces it. Nobody is advocating giving the opposition the ball or kicking it away if we have it too long.

For example, an increase in long balls and less focus on short passing. It means we get the ball forward in 2 passes where previously it would take 7 to get to the same position. Usually in doing so, it gives the opposition time to set up and our options a more limited making our play appear ponderous.

All three areas of focus are linked to a direct and mixed approach. Once you adopt that style then all those areas will be affected in the ways stated needed to win the game.

The amount of people that don’t understand basic principles yet still comment as if they do is frightening.

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 12:48 - Oct 19 with 713 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 12:24 - Oct 19 by vetchonian

And with it the support the players receive in terms of conditioning nutrition etc ...the pitches of today are far superior surfaces no more boggy heavy things to run through boots like carpet slippers...

Yet still we talk of fatigue and resting players...despite some players being ever present.

This started as I questioned Oli Coopers omission at Burnley ...someone suggested he was being rested..

His presence has made a difference to our play and despite scoring against Sunderland was dropped I personally think we missed his buzz at Burnley and by the tame he coame on its was too late.

we definitely missed it - his industry and work rate gives us something that other players in that role don't

Away at Burnley he would have been the first name on my teamsheet after Benda

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 12:51 - Oct 19 with 706 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 12:24 - Oct 19 by vetchonian

Let me put it another way. Players have to be close to fully fit and match sharp to compete effectively today. Their opponents will be. If they are fitter and sharper than you, you’re starting at a disadvantage.

That wasn’t the case in the days of 1 sub and same players week in week out.

Some players can play every minute of every game, others can’t without a drop in performance.
Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 13:02 - Oct 19 with 685 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 12:51 - Oct 19 by jack247

Let me put it another way. Players have to be close to fully fit and match sharp to compete effectively today. Their opponents will be. If they are fitter and sharper than you, you’re starting at a disadvantage.

Some players can play every minute of every game, others can’t without a drop in performance.

That’s a myth.

The notion that everyone back in the day were pie eating lager louts is just nonsense.

Diet and modern training regimens hadn’t been brought in at that time, granted. But that’s not to suggest they weren’t supremely fit still capable of playing in today’s version of the game.

Usain Bolt was known for his bad diet. He ate 1000 McDonalds chicken nuggets at the Beijing Olympics, he was still in supreme condition, broke 3 world records there and able to compete as the best on the planet to a point he still can’t be beaten today.

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:05 - Oct 19 with 680 viewsploppy

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:46 - Oct 19 by Dr_Parnassus

Jesus, are you serious?

It’s not about simply reducing possession, it’s applying things in the game that naturally reduces it. Nobody is advocating giving the opposition the ball or kicking it away if we have it too long.

For example, an increase in long balls and less focus on short passing. It means we get the ball forward in 2 passes where previously it would take 7 to get to the same position. Usually in doing so, it gives the opposition time to set up and our options a more limited making our play appear ponderous.

All three areas of focus are linked to a direct and mixed approach. Once you adopt that style then all those areas will be affected in the ways stated needed to win the game.

The amount of people that don’t understand basic principles yet still comment as if they do is frightening.

So you advocate giving the ball away? Lol.
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:07 - Oct 19 with 671 viewsDr_Parnassus

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:05 - Oct 19 by ploppy

So you advocate giving the ball away? Lol.

“ Nobody is advocating giving the opposition the ball or kicking it away if we have it too long. ”

How did you get that conclusion from the above sentence?

Bizarre.

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 13:09 - Oct 19 with 666 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 13:02 - Oct 19 by Dr_Parnassus

That’s a myth.

The notion that everyone back in the day were pie eating lager louts is just nonsense.

Diet and modern training regimens hadn’t been brought in at that time, granted. But that’s not to suggest they weren’t supremely fit still capable of playing in today’s version of the game.

Usain Bolt was known for his bad diet. He ate 1000 McDonalds chicken nuggets at the Beijing Olympics, he was still in supreme condition, broke 3 world records there and able to compete as the best on the planet to a point he still can’t be beaten today.

They’d have absolutely no chance of playing every game without the sports scientists and nutritionists. Nobody had them, it was a level playing field.

I haven’t suggested that every player was a pie eating lager lout, but plenty were and they were able to play every game.

100m sprinting is not really comparable. Give me an example of a footballer with that kind of diet who plays the vast majority of games in this era.
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:10 - Oct 19 with 662 viewsploppy

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:07 - Oct 19 by Dr_Parnassus

“ Nobody is advocating giving the opposition the ball or kicking it away if we have it too long. ”

How did you get that conclusion from the above sentence?

Bizarre.

Well, you seem to be advocating more long balls, which invariably leads to a loss of possession. Don't forget, they're long balls, not long passes. It's quite simple - I don't see why you find it so hard.
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:18 - Oct 19 with 641 viewsDr_Parnassus

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:10 - Oct 19 by ploppy

Well, you seem to be advocating more long balls, which invariably leads to a loss of possession. Don't forget, they're long balls, not long passes. It's quite simple - I don't see why you find it so hard.

Absolutely, but the intention of those long balls is to go to us not them. I am advocating us be more adventurous and direct, a byproduct of that is we will probably lose more pointless possession in non threatening areas - but as a result have a greater chance of winning a football match.

So no, I’m not advocating “giving the ball away”. I’m advocating giving ourselves the best chance to win by adopting many different tactics which raises the chance of reducing our possession.

It’s quite simple.

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:53 - Oct 19 with 613 viewsonehunglow

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:18 - Oct 19 by Dr_Parnassus

Absolutely, but the intention of those long balls is to go to us not them. I am advocating us be more adventurous and direct, a byproduct of that is we will probably lose more pointless possession in non threatening areas - but as a result have a greater chance of winning a football match.

So no, I’m not advocating “giving the ball away”. I’m advocating giving ourselves the best chance to win by adopting many different tactics which raises the chance of reducing our possession.

It’s quite simple.

Not simple at all,for many

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:59 - Oct 19 with 607 viewsKeithHaynes

It’s quite simple.

Which is what is happening.,

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:33 - Oct 19 with 578 viewsWitneyjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:41 - Oct 19 by ploppy

I'm glad someone understood the post.
Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 15:08 - Oct 19 with 520 viewsraynor94

Swansea City v Reading : Match day Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 12:51 - Oct 19 by jack247

Point, perfectly put

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:47 - Oct 19 with 494 viewsploppy

It’s quite simple.

That may well be the intention, but what percentage of our "long balls" are successful i.e. go to one of our players? I don't know the answer but I'd wager it's pretty low. Depends whether you think the risk is worth the reward.

Those tactics remind me of Garry Monk and his "being comfortable without the ball", and Cooper's "shape" mantra. Both of which were tedious to watch. IMHO of course.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024