Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Climate Lockdowns 04:29 - Jan 14 with 4383 viewsmangohilljack

We know they are coming in 2024. (on trial) Oxford in particular.
Cities will be divided into zones confining residents to remain in their zones.
You will be allowed 100 days per year to leave your zone.
In order to leave you will need to get permission from the council.
Cars will be registered and travel will then be tracked by smart cameras some of which were rolled out throughout covid lockdowns.

Is this something that appeals to you? Will you comply?

It's a NO from me
Climate Lockdowns on 11:48 - Jan 14 with 770 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 11:37 - Jan 14 by krunchykarrot

Great, lets get all the evidence out there and people can see for themselves i must have missed the debate. What i see is lots of protests alienating people and spokespeople making a spectacle of themselves when questioned factually.

Meanwhile our rivers are dying from pollution in front of our eyes microplastics are entering the food chain not helped by the manufacturing of zillions of blue face masks which were unnecessary becuase we shutdown the debate.

Microplastics and other pollution is all linked to the same argument. Basically we're living unsustainably.

The crux of the matter is whether or not greenhouse gases cause the climate to warm. We know that they do, laboratory and real world evidence demonstrates that. We also know we human activity increases their emission. The result is anthropogenic climate change.

Any debate would have to centre around disproving that.
Climate Lockdowns on 11:54 - Jan 14 with 770 viewskrunchykarrot

Climate Lockdowns on 11:40 - Jan 14 by Scotia

Judith Curry is funded by the fossil fuel industry.

I don't think Greta is relevant to the debate really.

Companies used her expertise on Hurricanes.
Climate Lockdowns on 12:27 - Jan 14 with 751 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 11:54 - Jan 14 by krunchykarrot

Companies used her expertise on Hurricanes.

They are her cash cow. Don't you think that's a bit suspicious?

Of course you can just look at what she claims. It's wrong too.

This is generally where the debate goes to, a scientist funded by the oil industry making assertions that aren't based on evidence.
Climate Lockdowns on 12:34 - Jan 14 with 744 viewsGwyn737

So just for clarification, the OP on climate lockdowns is simply not true.

If that’s the case then why should it need debate?

*I’m referring to that particular case, not climate science in general which obviously needs discussion.
Climate Lockdowns on 12:57 - Jan 14 with 735 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 12:34 - Jan 14 by Gwyn737

*I’m referring to that particular case, not climate science in general which obviously needs discussion.

No. Its completely misrepresented.
Climate Lockdowns on 13:02 - Jan 14 with 732 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Climate Lockdowns on 12:34 - Jan 14 by Gwyn737

That OP is one of the craziest things I’ve ever read.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Climate Lockdowns on 13:29 - Jan 14 with 703 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 13:02 - Jan 14 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

That OP is one of the craziest things I’ve ever read.

I actually think the third post is one of the craziest things I've ever read.
Climate Lockdowns on 13:44 - Jan 14 with 686 viewsmax936

Climate Lockdowns on 13:29 - Jan 14 by Scotia

I actually think the third post is one of the craziest things I've ever read.

If the poster is who I think he is, its hardly surprising.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Login to get fewer ads

Climate Lockdowns on 14:08 - Jan 14 with 665 views1462jack

Climate Lockdowns on 12:57 - Jan 14 by Scotia

No. Its completely misrepresented.

Bet the people of Oxford are happy with their 100 trips
Climate Lockdowns on 14:49 - Jan 14 with 649 viewskrunchykarrot

Climate Lockdowns on 12:27 - Jan 14 by Scotia

They are her cash cow. Don't you think that's a bit suspicious?

Of course you can just look at what she claims. It's wrong too.

This is generally where the debate goes to, a scientist funded by the oil industry making assertions that aren't based on evidence.

I think it is all suspicous, the same accusations can be made by both sides of the issue. Dont get me wrong im not denying there is climate change but an emergency? Im not keen on modelling full stop as it is way off in most cases. I think industry has a big part to play,rushing head first into green pledges that cant be kept is ridiculous. Lets act on the issues we can immediately fix.
Climate Lockdowns on 14:50 - Jan 14 with 647 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 14:08 - Jan 14 by 1462jack

Bet the people of Oxford are happy with their 100 trips

They aren't restricted to 100 trips.

If they don't like the system (I think it's stupid by the way) all they have to do is remember it at the next election.
Climate Lockdowns on 16:12 - Jan 14 with 613 viewsJack123

You will own nothing, and be happy.

libera nos a malo

Climate Lockdowns on 16:27 - Jan 14 with 599 viewsSullutaCreturned

Climate Lockdowns on 09:26 - Jan 14 by Scotia

It's been extreme because people have believed right wing media nonsense.

A 15 minute city means everything you need is within a 15 minute walk. What's wrong with that?

When I was a kid almost everything I needed was within a 15 minute walk, we had local shops, fruiterers and greengrocers, butchers, banks, dentists, clothes shops and the local schools. We had Underhill park less than 5 mins walk away and Oystermouth Castle field even closer.

We didn't have a problem with recycling because we made do and mended things and milkmen delvered and then picked up the empty bottlesat their next visit. Pop bottles had a deposit which you got back as long as the bottle was in one piece and we didn't have plastic everywhere. hence we didn't have such a climate emergency because we weren't throttling the life out of the planet by dumping so much rubbish, destroying habitats and poisoning the oceans with pesticides and fertilisers.

Would a 15 minute city be so bad?

It won't happen though, look how many people commute large distances for work.

Lets call it the 70's, because it was.
Climate Lockdowns on 16:32 - Jan 14 with 595 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 16:12 - Jan 14 by Jack123

You will own nothing, and be happy.

What are the dangers of a 15 minute city?
Climate Lockdowns on 16:42 - Jan 14 with 588 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 16:27 - Jan 14 by SullutaCreturned

When I was a kid almost everything I needed was within a 15 minute walk, we had local shops, fruiterers and greengrocers, butchers, banks, dentists, clothes shops and the local schools. We had Underhill park less than 5 mins walk away and Oystermouth Castle field even closer.

We didn't have a problem with recycling because we made do and mended things and milkmen delvered and then picked up the empty bottlesat their next visit. Pop bottles had a deposit which you got back as long as the bottle was in one piece and we didn't have plastic everywhere. hence we didn't have such a climate emergency because we weren't throttling the life out of the planet by dumping so much rubbish, destroying habitats and poisoning the oceans with pesticides and fertilisers.

Would a 15 minute city be so bad?

It won't happen though, look how many people commute large distances for work.

Lets call it the 70's, because it was.

They are basically a return to a more local way of living, large modern housing estates are planned to be exactly that.

Many people in Swansea already live under the same conditions.

It's nothing new but the concept has been giving a new name, linked to reducing emissions, a group of people think its some kind of conspiracy and this is where we end up.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 17:02]
Climate Lockdowns on 17:42 - Jan 14 with 560 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 14:49 - Jan 14 by krunchykarrot

I think it is all suspicous, the same accusations can be made by both sides of the issue. Dont get me wrong im not denying there is climate change but an emergency? Im not keen on modelling full stop as it is way off in most cases. I think industry has a big part to play,rushing head first into green pledges that cant be kept is ridiculous. Lets act on the issues we can immediately fix.

I don't think "emergency" is too strong a word. There are lots of variables and models aren't perfect but global weather is following the predictions of climate models.

We need to consider it an emergency even if out of caution because the climate may (will) reach a tipping point after which some areas of the world are looking at a catastrophic situation. By then it will be too late to do anything about it.

We're doing a decent job in the UK in a move to minimising our impact on the planet. We could do more, but we're doing more than most.
Climate Lockdowns on 17:43 - Jan 14 with 560 viewsJack123

Climate Lockdowns on 16:32 - Jan 14 by Scotia

What are the dangers of a 15 minute city?

The way I see it, it's an ill-conceived concept, and really shouldn't need explaining.

libera nos a malo

Climate Lockdowns on 17:50 - Jan 14 with 556 views1462jack

Climate Lockdowns on 17:43 - Jan 14 by Jack123

The way I see it, it's an ill-conceived concept, and really shouldn't need explaining.

The city will be divided into zones and your registered vehicle will be restricted to 100 incursions to each zone a year , that’s fine though basically they will be restricting your free movement
Climate Lockdowns on 17:58 - Jan 14 with 542 viewsSirjohnalot

Is there an official (not some weird YouTube link) government website detailing this ?
Climate Lockdowns on 18:18 - Jan 14 with 529 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 17:43 - Jan 14 by Jack123

It's just that most things you need like shops, parks, schools and health care are within a 15 minute walk.

As Cat said, it's nothing new, don't over think it.
Climate Lockdowns on 18:32 - Jan 14 with 514 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 17:58 - Jan 14 by Sirjohnalot

Is there an official (not some weird YouTube link) government website detailing this ?

It's an urban design concept really, mainly suggesting polycentric cities. This is the Oxford plan that has been taken massively out of context. I don't think it's a pllicy adopted by the government but has been by some local councils.

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/downloads/file/8144/bgp_14_15_minute_cities

To put it in the context of Swansea. Morriston, Gorseinon, Mumbles, Sketty, Killay etc are examples. It's nothing new, planned housing estates in Swansea suburbs will be similar.

What has triggered this thread is a restriction on routes for cars in to the city centre of Oxford, mainly to make public transport more efficient and for human health pollution reasons. That's it.

It's not stopping anyone going anywhere at any time, they may just have to take a different route. That's not what some people have portrayed though obviously. It's not a "climate lockdown" in any way, shape or form.
Climate Lockdowns on 18:36 - Jan 14 with 501 viewsSirjohnalot

Climate Lockdowns on 16:42 - Jan 14 by Scotia

They are basically a return to a more local way of living, large modern housing estates are planned to be exactly that.

Many people in Swansea already live under the same conditions.

It's nothing new but the concept has been giving a new name, linked to reducing emissions, a group of people think its some kind of conspiracy and this is where we end up.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 17:02]

So is it just trying to reduce pollution in the city centres ? Manchester are trying the same, improving public transport, max of £3 on bus returns, brilliant metro system, free bus services around the city, free electric bikes. Works really well
Climate Lockdowns on 18:38 - Jan 14 with 498 viewsSullutaCreturned

Climate Lockdowns on 17:50 - Jan 14 by 1462jack

The city will be divided into zones and your registered vehicle will be restricted to 100 incursions to each zone a year , that’s fine though basically they will be restricting your free movement

What, are they going to stop you going to work, or actually working if yoy travel a lot?

Are they going to stop you going shopping?

This is just another chapter from the "great reset" crowd. They are taking facts and spinning the story, they should be politicians!
Climate Lockdowns on 18:38 - Jan 14 with 498 views1462jack

Climate Lockdowns on 18:32 - Jan 14 by Scotia

It's an urban design concept really, mainly suggesting polycentric cities. This is the Oxford plan that has been taken massively out of context. I don't think it's a pllicy adopted by the government but has been by some local councils.

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/downloads/file/8144/bgp_14_15_minute_cities

To put it in the context of Swansea. Morriston, Gorseinon, Mumbles, Sketty, Killay etc are examples. It's nothing new, planned housing estates in Swansea suburbs will be similar.

What has triggered this thread is a restriction on routes for cars in to the city centre of Oxford, mainly to make public transport more efficient and for human health pollution reasons. That's it.

It's not stopping anyone going anywhere at any time, they may just have to take a different route. That's not what some people have portrayed though obviously. It's not a "climate lockdown" in any way, shape or form.

We decide on something, leave it lying around, and wait and see what happens. If no one kicks up a fuss, because most people don't understand what has been decided, we continue step by step until there is no turning back.

Jean-Claude Juncker President of the EU commission 2014-18
Climate Lockdowns on 18:43 - Jan 14 with 491 viewsScotia

Climate Lockdowns on 18:36 - Jan 14 by Sirjohnalot

So is it just trying to reduce pollution in the city centres ? Manchester are trying the same, improving public transport, max of £3 on bus returns, brilliant metro system, free bus services around the city, free electric bikes. Works really well

Yes. But it does seem to be going about it in a disruptive way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024