Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Darling 11:05 - Jun 24 with 3127 viewsswan_si

Am I missing something here, there's been quite a bit of criticism about Harry, he may have occasionally dropped the odd bollock last season, but so did a lot of players, I personally think that he did OK for the most part, looked good when driving forward, good passing range and a powerful shot, so what am I missing?
Harry Darling on 11:08 - Jun 24 with 2531 viewsunion_jack

I noticed someone put him in the same category as Fisher and Sorinola and that had me scratching my head. I think he’s a good player with a lot of promise to be honest.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Harry Darling on 11:12 - Jun 24 with 2511 viewsswan_si

Harry Darling on 11:08 - Jun 24 by union_jack

I noticed someone put him in the same category as Fisher and Sorinola and that had me scratching my head. I think he’s a good player with a lot of promise to be honest.

I think it's more to do with him being a Russell Martin signing than ability.
Harry Darling on 11:13 - Jun 24 with 2504 viewsraynor94

Well he's got the right boss to help him along now

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Harry Darling on 11:15 - Jun 24 with 2490 viewsDr_Winston

If Duff is serious about playing it out of defence a lot more quickly then HD could become a key player for us.

None of our defenders should be judged on the shitshow that was Russy's process.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Harry Darling on 11:25 - Jun 24 with 2469 viewsBadlands

Darling is a poor CB compared with Wood, Cabango and Naughton.
He's Compared with Fisher and Sorinola because he was hand picked by Martin yet, like the others, could play the way required at Championship level. He was also our highest priced import since Celina and Asoro in 2018/19.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Harry Darling on 11:34 - Jun 24 with 2429 viewsItchySphincter

Isn’t Martin on records as saying he wanted to keep Sarinola here for another season?

I’d laugh my tits off if he took him to Southampton. 🤣

Fingers crossed. 🤞

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Harry Darling on 11:42 - Jun 24 with 2406 viewskrunchykarrot

Dont think you are missing anything, the problem was he made some crucial basic errors that cost us dearly and him getting benched. I honestly believe that he will prove to be a good signing.
Harry Darling on 11:44 - Jun 24 with 2398 viewsswan_si

Harry Darling on 11:25 - Jun 24 by Badlands

Darling is a poor CB compared with Wood, Cabango and Naughton.
He's Compared with Fisher and Sorinola because he was hand picked by Martin yet, like the others, could play the way required at Championship level. He was also our highest priced import since Celina and Asoro in 2018/19.

but even Naughton, Cabango and to a less extent Wood, dropped a bollock, I'd have to include Manning, Grimes, Lati, even one of my favourites, Fulton, in the same bracket, all made errors that cost us, or, could've cost us a goal, I'm sure there's more I could've added to the list, to compare him to Fisher and Sorinola is ludicrous.
Login to get fewer ads

Harry Darling on 12:10 - Jun 24 with 2343 viewsgrabsplatter

He's got plenty of footballing ability - he's better on the ball than our other centre halfs but didn't look a particularly good defender.
Stick an experienced centre half alongside him (Ash, Monk type) and he'll be fine I reckon.
Problem with him is that Russ signed him & for that sort of money he needs to be one of our key players & not just one with potential
Harry Darling on 12:22 - Jun 24 with 2311 viewsGixerJack

I think it’s more to do with the Martin connection and he was being used as another stick to beat Martin with. The persistence in deploying that stupid goal kick routine which just invited more problems than benefits also put him in the spotlight for the wrong reasons.. the same could be said for fisher and Sorinola to a lesser extent but we’re below the standard we’ve grown to expect to wear our shirt. I think HD will grow and develop playing for Duff
Harry Darling on 12:44 - Jun 24 with 2252 viewsjasper_T

Poor defender who makes some baffling decisions when to engage and when to back off. Prefers falling over to trying to win a physical battle. Big fee for a "future PL" player who doesn't look anywhere near.

Did alright at right back.
Harry Darling on 12:57 - Jun 24 with 2238 viewsJohnw102

Bit of different idea play him as DM, could move the ball forward quickly and also bring the ball forward when needed. May have vacancy for DM come start of season.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Harry Darling on 13:05 - Jun 24 with 2218 viewsBadlands

Harry Darling on 12:10 - Jun 24 by grabsplatter

He's got plenty of footballing ability - he's better on the ball than our other centre halfs but didn't look a particularly good defender.
Stick an experienced centre half alongside him (Ash, Monk type) and he'll be fine I reckon.
Problem with him is that Russ signed him & for that sort of money he needs to be one of our key players & not just one with potential

he's better on the ball than our other centre halfs ???? He played alongside Naughton and was not better. Pair him in the middle off a four with Canago or Wood and he manages. Otherwise just an expensive bench warmer.

Harry Darling on 13:09 - Jun 24 with 2199 viewsonehunglow

Harry Darling on 11:34 - Jun 24 by ItchySphincter

Isn’t Martin on records as saying he wanted to keep Sarinola here for another season?

I’d laugh my tits off if he took him to Southampton. 🤣

Fingers crossed. 🤞

Sorinola was a staggering loan for all the wrong reasons .
Simply insane

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Harry Darling on 13:14 - Jun 24 with 2190 viewsKeithHaynes

Darling is a very decent footballer, who hopefully will be encouraged to shoot more next season. He made no more mistakes than Joe Allen which led to grief last season.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Harry Darling on 13:31 - Jun 24 with 2153 viewsswan_si

Harry Darling on 12:44 - Jun 24 by jasper_T

Poor defender who makes some baffling decisions when to engage and when to back off. Prefers falling over to trying to win a physical battle. Big fee for a "future PL" player who doesn't look anywhere near.

Did alright at right back.

As did Manning, Lati and Connor Roberts before them, there will be many more, too many rely on the refs whistle to get them off the hook.
I think my only criticism, is that on a few occasions he let the ball bounce, instead of putting his head on it, all players make mistakes, it's having the ability to learn from them, hopefully under the new manager, he'll be told to just get is swede to it, that has to be a defenders first priority.
Harry Darling on 14:06 - Jun 24 with 2080 viewsSullutaCreturned

Harry Darling on 12:57 - Jun 24 by Johnw102

Bit of different idea play him as DM, could move the ball forward quickly and also bring the ball forward when needed. May have vacancy for DM come start of season.

i quite like that idea, it wouldn't be the first time a change in position had been the making of a player.

I think Darling's mistakes were as much to do with the way he was ordered to play as with his ability, more probably, that silly goal kick caused us loads of problems as did the keep possession at all costs, suicidal passing across our own box. We won't see that with Duff.
Harry Darling on 14:29 - Jun 24 with 2034 viewsonehunglow

Harry Darling on 14:06 - Jun 24 by SullutaCreturned

i quite like that idea, it wouldn't be the first time a change in position had been the making of a player.

I think Darling's mistakes were as much to do with the way he was ordered to play as with his ability, more probably, that silly goal kick caused us loads of problems as did the keep possession at all costs, suicidal passing across our own box. We won't see that with Duff.

I thought Darling looked ok myself especially when moving forward.
It could be shackles are removed under Duffers and we can really judge players abilities

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Harry Darling on 15:27 - Jun 24 with 1978 viewsjasper_T

Does make me laugh a bit to see people suggest that centre halves who can ping a long crossfield ball given time and space should play in midfield where the technical demands are so much higher. Players who can do both well are rare.
Harry Darling on 15:35 - Jun 24 with 1959 viewsswan_si

Harry Darling on 15:27 - Jun 24 by jasper_T

Does make me laugh a bit to see people suggest that centre halves who can ping a long crossfield ball given time and space should play in midfield where the technical demands are so much higher. Players who can do both well are rare.

So it makes you laugh at the suggestion, but then you go on to say, there are players who can do it, that made me laugh. 😄
Harry Darling on 16:13 - Jun 24 with 1905 viewsgrabsplatter

Harry Darling on 13:05 - Jun 24 by Badlands

he's better on the ball than our other centre halfs ???? He played alongside Naughton and was not better. Pair him in the middle off a four with Canago or Wood and he manages. Otherwise just an expensive bench warmer.

Point taken but I'm not looking at Naughton as a centre half, he's a full back who only played there under Russ, i was comparing him with Cabango, Wood & Cooper.
Harry Darling on 16:16 - Jun 24 with 1905 viewsBadlands

Harry Darling on 14:29 - Jun 24 by onehunglow

I thought Darling looked ok myself especially when moving forward.
It could be shackles are removed under Duffers and we can really judge players abilities

The problem was he moved forward with the ball it gave the opposition time to regroup and vowded the areas in front of him which resulging in little benefit( might have got some excited I suppose) and it usually meant th defence was e posed to counter attacks … which did lose us more than a few points.

Harry Darling on 16:32 - Jun 24 with 1875 viewsWhiterockin

Harry Darling on 16:16 - Jun 24 by Badlands

The problem was he moved forward with the ball it gave the opposition time to regroup and vowded the areas in front of him which resulging in little benefit( might have got some excited I suppose) and it usually meant th defence was e posed to counter attacks … which did lose us more than a few points.

He's going to be a better defender than Cabango.
Harry Darling on 17:08 - Jun 24 with 1824 viewsswan_si

So Cabango, and Wood never ventured forward and lost the ball.🤔
As I mentioned earlier, we have a lot of players that make mistakes during a game,
I just don't understand why he gets most criticism.
Harry Darling on 17:17 - Jun 24 with 1816 viewsRichardO

We were exposed because our fullback, wingback or 3rd CB,
Manning was further forward than the man carrying the ball and not in any position to cover a counterattack, same happened when Cabango brought out the ball no cover!
Manning very good at attacking but needed his team to cover expected runs forward, Bidewell use to do it, Copper and Cundle did it a d at the end of the season Paterson did it, good effective team play.
As for Darling making mistakes trying to control bouncing balls and making a hash of it, next game he put the bouncing ball into row z after a being threaten on the wing, dropped next game.
Good player who is an attacking threat at set pieces.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 17:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024