Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 20MPH punishments 08:34 - Aug 3 with 97693 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well the punishment for breaking the limit,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-confirm-how-punish-drivers-

Given how many idiots are on the roads, the delivery drivers under pressure and the actual difficutly in staying below 20 (it is difficult, I do it every week when I go to Cardiff and it's harder than you'd think, specially going downhill) there will be a lot of speeding going on.

The Senedd expect the fire brigade to become a road safety unit, how stupid is that? The fire brigade have their job and it's hard enough for them to do that the way the Senedd behaves.

Then there's the pollution problem, all those cars tootling around in second gear will fill the streets with pollution, it'll rise and rise and the few accidents stopped by this madness will be replaced tenfold and more in the years to come by serious health issues, those with asthma can look out, better buy your respirators now.

I wonder if cancers will also increase?

By the time we have all gone electric, assuming we all do, thousands of lives will be blighted by illness.
The 20MPH punishments on 22:34 - Dec 12 with 1082 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 11:06 - Dec 12 by pencoedjack

Probably be a good idea for him (& others) to visit the Netherlands & see their infrastructure & how its easy for them to use bikes.

Motorways, rail & trams are all excellent & Utrecht is somewhat easier to cycle in than (as an example) Neath.

I don't think 1 person disagrees with 20 mph outside schools.

The Netherlands is a lot more densely populated than Wales, it’s twice the size but has 6 times the population so it’s easier to have an integrated transport network. It also helps that it’s flatter and dryer than Wales. Cardiff, Newport and Swansea should all have an excellent integrated transportation and they should have seemless connections to the valleys and in Swansea’s case Neath, Port Talbot and Llanelli and those towns should have connections in to their local communities.

I totally agree with the concept of promoting cycling and walking, but my preference would be for a better network of cycle tracks because even at 20mph we've still got the morons texting on their phones.

I have no issue with the 20mph limit in busy town centres, outside schools, care homes, hospitals and some other locations, however on trunk roads, arterial routes and other main roads I think it’s madness.

Edit - typos
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 22:08]
The 20MPH punishments on 06:08 - Dec 13 with 1045 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 22:00 - Dec 12 by Boundy

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/yougov-poll-shows-falling-support-for-wale

That's not surprising, if Drakeford continues to ignore the opposition to the law then it will come back to bite them. You would think members of his party would start to put pressure on him because he will not be leader at the next election and they will have to carry the can.
The 20MPH punishments on 06:12 - Dec 13 with 1038 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 22:34 - Dec 12 by majorraglan

The Netherlands is a lot more densely populated than Wales, it’s twice the size but has 6 times the population so it’s easier to have an integrated transport network. It also helps that it’s flatter and dryer than Wales. Cardiff, Newport and Swansea should all have an excellent integrated transportation and they should have seemless connections to the valleys and in Swansea’s case Neath, Port Talbot and Llanelli and those towns should have connections in to their local communities.

I totally agree with the concept of promoting cycling and walking, but my preference would be for a better network of cycle tracks because even at 20mph we've still got the morons texting on their phones.

I have no issue with the 20mph limit in busy town centres, outside schools, care homes, hospitals and some other locations, however on trunk roads, arterial routes and other main roads I think it’s madness.

Edit - typos

"I have no issue with the 20mph limit in busy town centres, outside schools, care homes, hospitals and some other locations, however on trunk roads, arterial routes and other main roads I think it’s madness."

This is exactly what the majority in Wales feel and the percentage is still growing.
The 20MPH punishments on 10:25 - Dec 13 with 1008 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 22:34 - Dec 12 by majorraglan

Edit - typos

The attitude of drivers towards cyclists is appalling in this country.
That is also something that needs to change .
Cyclists have priority in the Netherlands.Imagine that here .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The 20MPH punishments on 16:08 - Dec 13 with 962 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 10:25 - Dec 13 by onehunglow

True BUT too many cyclists also have an awful attitude to cars and the rules of the road,
The 20MPH punishments on 19:13 - Dec 13 with 926 viewsunion_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 16:08 - Dec 13 by SullutaCreturned

True BUT too many cyclists also have an awful attitude to cars and the rules of the road,

That’s because drivers have no patience in this country.

To change the mindset would be a mammoth task but it needs to happen. Cyclists are vulnerable and having to overtake one is not going to hold anyone’s journey up one second.

I’ve been a cyclist, sadly not anymore, and I’ve encountered more idiots you could throw a stick at behind the wheel of a car!!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The 20MPH punishments on 20:11 - Dec 13 with 911 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 19:13 - Dec 13 by union_jack

That’s because drivers have no patience in this country.

To change the mindset would be a mammoth task but it needs to happen. Cyclists are vulnerable and having to overtake one is not going to hold anyone’s journey up one second.

I’ve been a cyclist, sadly not anymore, and I’ve encountered more idiots you could throw a stick at behind the wheel of a car!!

Cyclist are seen by motorists as an obstacle rather than a hazard .

The 20MPH punishments on 23:13 - Dec 13 with 862 viewsmajorraglan

Lots of good points about cyclists and drivers, there’s good and bad in both camps. The Netherlands is a great place to visit, years ago when our kids were much younger we took our caravan and bikes there on a summer holiday and we cycled everywhere including on to the city centre in complete safety and with no hassle. Great place to visit.
Login to get fewer ads

The 20MPH punishments on 07:44 - Dec 14 with 838 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 23:13 - Dec 13 by majorraglan

Lots of good points about cyclists and drivers, there’s good and bad in both camps. The Netherlands is a great place to visit, years ago when our kids were much younger we took our caravan and bikes there on a summer holiday and we cycled everywhere including on to the city centre in complete safety and with no hassle. Great place to visit.

I do think it helps greatly when a country is so flat, if Wales was similar it would be a lot easier to encourage people to cycle more.
The 20MPH punishments on 09:24 - Dec 15 with 769 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Fines are now being issued by automatic speed cameras in both South Wales and Mid Wales for exceeding the 20mph speed limit, although none have yet been issuesd in North Wales. Fine started to be imposed towards the end of November. So much for posters claims on here that it was not a revenue raising scheme and the first year would be an " education " phase and no fines would be imposed.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The 20MPH punishments on 09:28 - Dec 15 with 766 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 07:44 - Dec 14 by Whiterockin

I do think it helps greatly when a country is so flat, if Wales was similar it would be a lot easier to encourage people to cycle more.

Well, the attraction of Wales IS the hills which real cyclists go for a challenge.
Horseshoe Pass is very popular .
Dozens at anytime time at The Ponderosa cafe

The 20MPH punishments on 09:29 - Dec 15 with 763 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 09:24 - Dec 15 by felixstowe_jack

Fines are now being issued by automatic speed cameras in both South Wales and Mid Wales for exceeding the 20mph speed limit, although none have yet been issuesd in North Wales. Fine started to be imposed towards the end of November. So much for posters claims on here that it was not a revenue raising scheme and the first year would be an " education " phase and no fines would be imposed.

We go swimming in Bala lake pretty regularly in the summer but we might well look for alternatives now.
Speed limits change very sharply in many place en route from ours .

The 20MPH punishments on 09:43 - Dec 15 with 760 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 09:28 - Dec 15 by onehunglow

Well, the attraction of Wales IS the hills which real cyclists go for a challenge.
Horseshoe Pass is very popular .
Dozens at anytime time at The Ponderosa cafe

This is true, but if you are trying to encourage motorists to cycle the hills will not help.
The 20MPH punishments on 10:15 - Dec 15 with 745 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 09:43 - Dec 15 by Whiterockin

This is true, but if you are trying to encourage motorists to cycle the hills will not help.

Fair enough regarding rudimentary everyday cycling .

The 20MPH punishments on 11:00 - Dec 15 with 739 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 09:24 - Dec 15 by felixstowe_jack

Stick to he speed limit and you won’t get booked.
The 20MPH punishments on 11:15 - Dec 15 with 724 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 11:00 - Dec 15 by lifelong

Stick to he speed limit and you won’t get booked.

Stick to driving safely under 30mph you are unlikely to be involved in any serious accidents.

The 20MPH punishments on 12:03 - Dec 15 with 715 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 11:15 - Dec 15 by felixstowe_jack

Stick to driving safely under 30mph you are unlikely to be involved in any serious accidents.

Even less of a chance if driving at 20mph.
The 20MPH punishments on 13:35 - Dec 15 with 694 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 12:03 - Dec 15 by lifelong

Even less of a chance if driving at 20mph.

Prove it.
The 20MPH punishments on 14:21 - Dec 15 with 659 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 13:35 - Dec 15 by Whiterockin

Prove it.

It can’t be .
Medal against soft flesh wins .
Every time .

The 20MPH punishments on 14:42 - Dec 15 with 657 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 13:35 - Dec 15 by Whiterockin

Prove it.

Common sense proves it, also the stopping distances.
The 20MPH punishments on 14:49 - Dec 15 with 654 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 14:42 - Dec 15 by lifelong

Stopping distances irrelevant when the jerks are texting,day dreaming or thinking about what to have for tea.Stopping distances of cars prior to 1980 were light years away from vehicles nowadays .
Many pedestrians are hit and killed because the driver didn’t see them at all,even more so with anyone on two wheels who are invisible to most car drivers .

The 20MPH punishments on 16:39 - Dec 15 with 637 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 14:42 - Dec 15 by lifelong

Drakeford does not have any common sense. He ignored the research which concluded that lower the speed to mph has NO significant effect on reducing accidents.

Other research showed most accidents in 30mph zones were caused by speeding, drink or drug driving, careless and dangerous driving and pedestrians not paying propper attention.

The 20MPH punishments on 18:40 - Dec 15 with 615 viewsshingle

The 20MPH punishments on 10:25 - Dec 13 by onehunglow

In Amsterdam for 3 years at least the main cause of serious and minor injuries are caused by cyclists colliding with pedestrians, they are a total liability but fully backed by the law there.
The 20MPH punishments on 20:25 - Dec 15 with 588 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 16:39 - Dec 15 by felixstowe_jack

Drakeford does not have any common sense. He ignored the research which concluded that lower the speed to mph has NO significant effect on reducing accidents.

Other research showed most accidents in 30mph zones were caused by speeding, drink or drug driving, careless and dangerous driving and pedestrians not paying propper attention.

He is very highly qualified
The 20MPH punishments on 20:43 - Dec 15 with 574 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 20:25 - Dec 15 by controversial_jack

He is very highly qualified

I don't want to but as its Christmas, highly qualified in what exactly ?,unless you mean Latin of course
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 20:43]

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024