Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? 17:57 - Feb 19 with 3100 viewsReslovenSwan1

There has been some discussion of a new home for the Ospreys. I think in fact it is a poor idea as they have room to "grow into" the Swansea.com with hospitality areas available.

I was one of 20,000 watching he Ospreys v Wasps 15 years ago with Marshall Henson Byrne Tiatia etc. They seem to be playing well at the moment and if they play good winning rugby and catch the imagination the fans will come.

St Helens has been mentioned but it seems not so good for access. The Vetch is closer to the city centre with the bus station and city car parks.

Could the Vetch site be redeveloped for a 10,000 seater if the Ospreys want to downsize. Are there leasehold issues or planning issues with the neighbours?

Wise sage since Toshack era

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 18:43 - Feb 19 with 2224 viewsEagleEye

You’ve obviously not been through the old Vetch recently. No longer enough free space to fit in a pitch let alone develop a stadium around it. St Helens would be a better bet. It will be a sad day if they leave Swansea imo but I wouldn’t bet against it. Problem now is the person in charge is not from the area so has no connection to the people, fans or history of rugby in the area.
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 20:26 - Feb 19 with 2142 viewsWhiterockin

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 18:43 - Feb 19 by EagleEye

You’ve obviously not been through the old Vetch recently. No longer enough free space to fit in a pitch let alone develop a stadium around it. St Helens would be a better bet. It will be a sad day if they leave Swansea imo but I wouldn’t bet against it. Problem now is the person in charge is not from the area so has no connection to the people, fans or history of rugby in the area.

Why should the community allotments be given up to house a rugby team when there are better sites available. Insane.

EDIT

Why is this on the football board anyway.
[Post edited 19 Feb 20:28]
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 22:24 - Feb 19 with 2035 viewsReslovenSwan1

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 20:26 - Feb 19 by Whiterockin

Why should the community allotments be given up to house a rugby team when there are better sites available. Insane.

EDIT

Why is this on the football board anyway.
[Post edited 19 Feb 20:28]

The Vetch was the home of Swansea city for a very long time that is why.

The Ospreys are currently paying Swansea city quite big fees and helping Swansea city with business synergies such as the club shop but the rugby boys do not seem to like their existing home for some reason despite it looking ideal to me.

I have pointed out there is a prime city centre site that the Ospreys could consider and wondered what obstacles existed such as the allotments you have raised.

The Vetch has easy car free access by existing bus and rail links. Out of town sites are not green and would need to be linked to a new shopping centre development which nobody wants and is not "green".

The Blues (now Cardiff Rugby) and Dragons are city centre and the city centre traders might welcome increase periodic footfall. The Ospreys in the city centre may be able to draw in more fans and younger fans not requiring a car.

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 23:12 - Feb 19 with 1992 viewsmajorraglan

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 22:24 - Feb 19 by ReslovenSwan1

The Ospreys are currently paying Swansea city quite big fees and helping Swansea city with business synergies such as the club shop but the rugby boys do not seem to like their existing home for some reason despite it looking ideal to me.

I have pointed out there is a prime city centre site that the Ospreys could consider and wondered what obstacles existed such as the allotments you have raised.

The Vetch has easy car free access by existing bus and rail links. Out of town sites are not green and would need to be linked to a new shopping centre development which nobody wants and is not "green".

The Blues (now Cardiff Rugby) and Dragons are city centre and the city centre traders might welcome increase periodic footfall. The Ospreys in the city centre may be able to draw in more fans and younger fans not requiring a car.

I think the idea of redeveloping the Vetch is dead, is there enough room on the seafront between the civic centre and the Marriott? There’s lots of car parking there which could be developed. If the Marriott could be incorporated into the build, maybe a stand they could potentially bull doze that too. I’m not sure how they’d do it, but what about moving Tesco possibly somewhere else and using that?
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 16:58 - Feb 20 with 1738 viewsSullutaCreturned

I reckon there's mre chance of them moving to Neath or even Bridgend.

There was previous talk of them developing somewhere in Llandarcy and the sports academy was mentioned.

The Vetch is definitely a no go...and this is definitely not a football thread!
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 17:58 - Feb 20 with 1690 viewsSTID2017

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 18:43 - Feb 19 by EagleEye

Sounds just like the owners of our football club, no local connection etc

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 19:10 - Feb 20 with 1638 viewsReslovenSwan1

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 17:58 - Feb 20 by STID2017

Sounds just like the owners of our football club, no local connection etc

The chairman and his family live in Swansea. The buck stops with him and he has said so. He has a colleague here to help him who is e na expert in communication and club culture.

At present the club is spending money to buy players and replacing them with unready youngster loans before they get a kick. Odd culture that. Some seem surprised the kids have struggled.

They bring over a USA kid who is sensational 'on trial' and send him home. Fans say he was never going to sign but the manger said he was 'on trial' and 'a decision would be made by the club' (not Levien) .

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 19:39 - Feb 20 with 1624 viewsQJumpingJack

back to the original poster.
I would suggest they email the Ospreys with the idea copying in the council.
Login to get fewer ads

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 20:12 - Feb 20 with 1587 viewsWhiterockin

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 19:39 - Feb 20 by QJumpingJack

back to the original poster.
I would suggest they email the Ospreys with the idea copying in the council.

It would go straight into the bin where it belongs.
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 14:55 - Feb 21 with 1445 viewsReslovenSwan1

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 20:12 - Feb 20 by Whiterockin

It would go straight into the bin where it belongs.

I raised the issue and have seen a couple of blunt put downs but not structured logic against it.

One said not enough room which might be credible. Another said allotments. That would not seem unsurmountable.

I gave several good reasons.

a) City centre location - see cardiff and Newport Dragons
b) Better chance of casual walk in supporter
c) Neath and Bridgend are too small centres
d) Green location. No bulldozing of rural farmland a trees with associated transport links roundabouts etc.
e) Out of town stadium would come with a shopping mall future denigrating the city centre and othe out of town shopping malls already struggling.
f) A shot in the arm for the city centre.
[Post edited 21 Feb 14:56]

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 16:08 - Feb 21 with 1403 viewsBoundy

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 22:24 - Feb 19 by ReslovenSwan1

Just where is this " easy car free access by existing bus and rail links. Many complaints over the years have still not been addressed with a rail station the other side of town, as pointed out the old Vetch Feld sis now a designated community area and around little if any change have been made regarding the area . The Sandfields is still the Sandfields with all its inherent parking issues , which has increased since we left by the way with more households owning more that one car , any available land has now been built on such as the new Arena ( you could park there if you could take out a second mortgage to pay for the privilege .Why would Tesco give up a prime site to go where exactly? County Hall when it finally is demolished is going to have executive housing built there so the next available area big enough to support a medium sized stadium would be St Helens so we're now back to square one.
You mention Cardiff Blues , they've always played at Cardiff Arms park

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 16:47 - Feb 21 with 1381 viewsWhiterockin

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 16:08 - Feb 21 by Boundy

Just where is this " easy car free access by existing bus and rail links. Many complaints over the years have still not been addressed with a rail station the other side of town, as pointed out the old Vetch Feld sis now a designated community area and around little if any change have been made regarding the area . The Sandfields is still the Sandfields with all its inherent parking issues , which has increased since we left by the way with more households owning more that one car , any available land has now been built on such as the new Arena ( you could park there if you could take out a second mortgage to pay for the privilege .Why would Tesco give up a prime site to go where exactly? County Hall when it finally is demolished is going to have executive housing built there so the next available area big enough to support a medium sized stadium would be St Helens so we're now back to square one.
You mention Cardiff Blues , they've always played at Cardiff Arms park

Anyone actually thought that this is a bluf by Ospreys to get their rent/match fees down.
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 17:55 - Feb 21 with 1355 viewsSullutaCreturned

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 16:47 - Feb 21 by Whiterockin

Anyone actually thought that this is a bluf by Ospreys to get their rent/match fees down.

Call their bluff then.

On the Vetch, it's just a non starter. The Ospreys havne't got the money to build a brand new stadium, they are looking more at developing an existing area which is why Llandarcy may be the place.

Starting from scratch in a city centre, the costs are higher.
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 18:19 - Feb 21 with 1332 viewsDr_Winston

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 17:55 - Feb 21 by SullutaCreturned

Call their bluff then.

On the Vetch, it's just a non starter. The Ospreys havne't got the money to build a brand new stadium, they are looking more at developing an existing area which is why Llandarcy may be the place.

Starting from scratch in a city centre, the costs are higher.

The only realistic options are St Helens, The Gnoll and Brewery Field, unless one of the LoW football clubs agrees to sell up to them, which is unlikely as they couldn't afford to buy one of those grounds anyway.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 18:46 - Feb 21 with 1307 viewsWhiterockin

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 18:19 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

The only realistic options are St Helens, The Gnoll and Brewery Field, unless one of the LoW football clubs agrees to sell up to them, which is unlikely as they couldn't afford to buy one of those grounds anyway.

The talk I have heard is a link up between N&PT Council, the university and the Ospreys. Margam/Llandarcy area. Apparently preliminary talks with the council have taken place.
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 19:02 - Feb 21 with 1289 viewsDr_Winston

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 18:46 - Feb 21 by Whiterockin

The talk I have heard is a link up between N&PT Council, the university and the Ospreys. Margam/Llandarcy area. Apparently preliminary talks with the council have taken place.

Something about 10,000 capacity with 2-3,000 seats and the rest terrace/safe standing you'd think would be more than ample for their needs for the majority of games.

They'll need significant funding from somewhere to do it though as they couldn't afford to do it on their own. Although in fairness, neither could we in 2003. A link up with other organisations for a multi use facility would probably make the most sense.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 19:31 - Feb 21 with 1257 viewsReslovenSwan1

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 19:02 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

Something about 10,000 capacity with 2-3,000 seats and the rest terrace/safe standing you'd think would be more than ample for their needs for the majority of games.

They'll need significant funding from somewhere to do it though as they couldn't afford to do it on their own. Although in fairness, neither could we in 2003. A link up with other organisations for a multi use facility would probably make the most sense.

All out of town option need a car. Councils love park and ride as it can use number plate recognition systems internet payment and minimal staff.

This thread rides against the norm and attempts to put footfall back in the city and using public transport with some walking for the youth to lose weight.

The new concert hall are always in town while sports areas out of town. Rugby fans do not usually form large groups intimidating local residents.

i though councils wanted to get people out of cars into public transport or increase walking and cycling. The council should not allow planning permission for yet another out of town development and put the Ospreys close to the city centre.

The Blues spent several years in the CCS.

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 21:27 - Feb 21 with 1201 viewsKeithHaynes

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 19:31 - Feb 21 by ReslovenSwan1

All out of town option need a car. Councils love park and ride as it can use number plate recognition systems internet payment and minimal staff.

This thread rides against the norm and attempts to put footfall back in the city and using public transport with some walking for the youth to lose weight.

The new concert hall are always in town while sports areas out of town. Rugby fans do not usually form large groups intimidating local residents.

i though councils wanted to get people out of cars into public transport or increase walking and cycling. The council should not allow planning permission for yet another out of town development and put the Ospreys close to the city centre.

Rugby fans don’t intimidate residents.
Well Gloucester must be unique.

They often have public order units out for the rugby, especially Leicester where whole areas have to be closed off. Another interesting fact is the disorder happens after the game in the pubs. And there’s a lot of it. The difference between rugby and football is that for hours after a football match it’s football related. For rugby it is not. If it were the stats would knock ‘good old rugger buggers having a laugh’ out of the park.

There have been times when not one cell is available after the fall out from rugby games. But of course it’s unrecorded and goes down as normal disorder.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 21:36 - Feb 21 with 1187 viewsmajorraglan

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 19:31 - Feb 21 by ReslovenSwan1

The point you make about going back in to town and rejuvenating the city centre is fair, and more councils and organisations are looking at this, but the Vetch as a location is in my opinion a non starter. It’ll be a new development on a community site, it’s in a residential area and the site just isn’t going to be big enough. Throw in access issues, parking and community pushback and it’s not happening.
The fact that the bus station and train stations aren’t colocated doesn’t help.
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 21:47 - Feb 21 with 1175 viewsDr_Winston

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 21:36 - Feb 21 by majorraglan

The point you make about going back in to town and rejuvenating the city centre is fair, and more councils and organisations are looking at this, but the Vetch as a location is in my opinion a non starter. It’ll be a new development on a community site, it’s in a residential area and the site just isn’t going to be big enough. Throw in access issues, parking and community pushback and it’s not happening.
The fact that the bus station and train stations aren’t colocated doesn’t help.

Neither of Bristol's rail stations are anywhere near the bus station so I wouldn't necessarily see that as an issue.

The biggest issue with city centres, at least those without a major high rise CBD is that they're evolving. eCommerce and out of town retailing with free car parking has ripped the guts out of a lot of towns and cities. Local Authorities are having to be more creative, and in fairness to them, despite me being quite critical in the past, Swansea Council appear to understand this and are deliberately targeting a mixed use future.

A lot of urban areas that have gone all in on retail in recent years might regret that decision in 10-15 years time.

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 21:53 - Feb 21 with 1152 viewsWhiterockin

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 19:02 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

My mate an Ospreys season ticket holder recons its being driven by the University as main backer and they are looking at the Llandarcy/Baglan area. With a multi use stadium.
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 21:59 - Feb 21 with 1129 viewsDr_Winston

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 21:53 - Feb 21 by Whiterockin

My mate an Ospreys season ticket holder recons its being driven by the University as main backer and they are looking at the Llandarcy/Baglan area. With a multi use stadium.

The site of the Llandarcy Academy would make a lot of sense.

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 22:08 - Feb 21 with 1105 viewsDr_Winston

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 21:59 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

The site of the Llandarcy Academy would make a lot of sense.

It's probably worth adding something here that I've learned from experience of pubs near the stadium on matchdays for both football and rugby. Rugby crowds aren't the same as football crowds when it comes to the areas surrounding the stadium.

On a football matchday the locality is often quite busy with people drinking in pubs, eating in chippies and the like, often for hours after the game has ended. When it comes to Rugby, almost none of that happens. They might have the odd pint inside the ground, but for the most part they come to watch the game and then they leave. Probably back to their local clubs.

It's highly likely that a Rugby ground with no surrounding facilities for supporters could work quite nicely, because they've made no use of them since 2005.

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 22:18 - Feb 21 with 1093 viewsWhiterockin

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 22:08 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

It's probably worth adding something here that I've learned from experience of pubs near the stadium on matchdays for both football and rugby. Rugby crowds aren't the same as football crowds when it comes to the areas surrounding the stadium.

On a football matchday the locality is often quite busy with people drinking in pubs, eating in chippies and the like, often for hours after the game has ended. When it comes to Rugby, almost none of that happens. They might have the odd pint inside the ground, but for the most part they come to watch the game and then they leave. Probably back to their local clubs.

It's highly likely that a Rugby ground with no surrounding facilities for supporters could work quite nicely, because they've made no use of them since 2005.

Spot on regarding the local the guy I'm talking about, they get a taxi from their local to the match and back after the game. Even when the home game was in Bridgend.
Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 22:25 - Feb 21 with 1068 viewsDr_Winston

Could the Ospreys relocated to the old Vetch field? on 22:18 - Feb 21 by Whiterockin

Spot on regarding the local the guy I'm talking about, they get a taxi from their local to the match and back after the game. Even when the home game was in Bridgend.

My family ran the Globe in Mysydd Road for the best part of 20 years. Loads of Swans fans in there before and after games. A handful of Ospreys fans at best.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024