Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh language 23:55 - Feb 22 with 4793 viewsBoundy

Has anyone else noticed the not so subtle change in how recorded messages in large organisations such as the NHS or the council (Swansea) are now presented in Welsh first then followed in English ,considering the majority of the population's first language is English why has this change come about.Information on road signs /matrixs is also now becoming Welsh first and with at a cost

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh language on 18:58 - Feb 29 with 694 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 18:44 - Feb 29 by onehunglow

Try working for a multinational company who's hq is in Milan
The delegates are from six different countries
I guarantee you the lingual francs will be English .
Socially , in that business circle, Welsh is an utter irrelevance
Knowledge of Spanish , French, German, Italian , Greek , Portuguese are far better communication tools
Welsh has significant sentimental connotations and it's why much questioning of its use leads to defensive comments that get personal
Everyone speaks English and nobody should be marginalised because they don't
Try beiing English speaking on a tiny north Wales town

You are good at Double Dutch.đź‘Ť
Welsh language on 19:13 - Feb 29 with 679 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 16:36 - Feb 29 by SgorioFruit

Other languages useful for what? When they go on holiday abroad?
Watching Spanish football on TV?
Or maybe work as a translator in London for visiting dignitaries?

My kids go to a Welsh school, the whole school speaks Welsh, the community is Welsh, their friends speak in Welsh in and out of school. And we are only 15 min drive from Swansea.

I do enjoy these debates and convo's on here. There is never anyone who is right, or wrong, it is down to personal choice and opinions. (although some on here think we speak Welsh in order to look down on people who don't speak Welsh, evidence of which i am yet to see.)
Your opinion is that teaching kids to speak Welsh is a waste of money. My opinion, is that it is part of every day life here, without any second thought going into it. No extra money has been spent here, it is a welsh speaking school the kids go to, just like there is an English speaking school in the town.
And long may it continue.

Wait for this bit.... it will blow you socks off, the secondary school is bilingual, and let's children choose what subjects or percentage of their study year that is delivered in Welsh or English.
[Post edited 29 Feb 16:39]

Sgorio, a lot of young people see their future away from Wales. My youngest son does.
Welsh language on 20:25 - Feb 29 with 646 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh language on 19:13 - Feb 29 by SullutaCreturned

Sgorio, a lot of young people see their future away from Wales. My youngest son does.

As backed up by the "brain drain" of youngsters in Wales who chose to leave for a better life.
Welsh language on 20:57 - Feb 29 with 626 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 18:58 - Feb 29 by lifelong

You are good at Double Dutch.đź‘Ť

I can get by as our lad lived there for six yrs
It's like German pronounced with a guttering Gog accent

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh language on 22:13 - Feb 29 with 601 viewsmajorraglan

Sadly, prospects in this part of the world aren’t as good as they are in other areas, it’s an age old thing and people have been drawn to London for years, so d hoped WG would change that but it seems not to be the case.

It’s not just an issue here, In terms of Finance London is losing ground to Europe and New York in much the same way as Hong Kong is losing ground against Beijing.
Welsh language on 22:49 - Feb 29 with 580 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh language on 23:34 - Feb 28 by lifelong

Isn’t it wonderful that the language is still alive and kicking with young people. To think that just over a 100 years ago teachers would be beating those children to stop them speaking it.

Yma o Hyd.

Great post.

Welsh people hating on the welsh language is shameful.
They know the value of nothing.

These dullards are actually arguing that all languages should be ditched apart from English and Mandorin. Lucky people welcome diversity in language. Its priceless.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh language on 07:24 - Mar 1 with 542 viewsSgorioFruit

Many youngsters do, and many youngsters don't.

This isn't Italy, or Spain or France, this is Wales, and Welsh being taught in schools shouldn't get people so wound up.

Other languages can be taken at secondary school, well they teach German and French in the local secondary school here, alongside being a Welsh medium school.

As I have previously mentioned about my children attending a Welsh primary school. Kids there ages 6 and 7 and so on have already reached a decent level of fluency in Welsh and they come from just English speaking homes. I can assure you that nothing has been rammed down their necks, or forced upon, and there isn't any segregation or thinking Welsh speakers are anything better than English speakers. It is just a Welsh speaking community, a Welsh speaking town. I'm really not making this up.

Others that keep going on about learning different european languages instead, well what's stopping them?
Hasn't there been numerous studies about kids who are bilingual early have their brains wired up to absorb more languages much easier in the future?

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Welsh language on 07:33 - Mar 1 with 537 viewsSgorioFruit

Welsh language on 18:44 - Feb 29 by onehunglow

Try working for a multinational company who's hq is in Milan
The delegates are from six different countries
I guarantee you the lingual francs will be English .
Socially , in that business circle, Welsh is an utter irrelevance
Knowledge of Spanish , French, German, Italian , Greek , Portuguese are far better communication tools
Welsh has significant sentimental connotations and it's why much questioning of its use leads to defensive comments that get personal
Everyone speaks English and nobody should be marginalised because they don't
Try beiing English speaking on a tiny north Wales town

"Socially , in that business circle, Welsh is an utter irrelevance"

good, i am happy for him or her. I am assuming that they wasn't held back by any Welsh speaking schools or communities.

"Welsh has significant sentimental connotations and it's why much questioning of its use leads to defensive comments that get personal"

That is because it is a language that others have tried for centuries to abolish, Kings, Governments, etc, and it still survives. Every time the question of the language comes up, it is going to be met with, why should the language be attacked in it's own country. It really is that simple. I don't know why it so hard for people to grasp that people speak their language in their own country.

"Try beiing English speaking on a tiny north Wales town"

Yes, I know many. Try being English speaking in remote areas of europe, like I have experienced. See, again it is down to opinions and personal experiences. I can match a lot of peoples experiences on here.

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh language on 07:56 - Mar 1 with 508 viewsTogg

Just my two pennies worth. I have total admiration for anybody who can speak more than one language. I can speak Spanish to a poor level but use it most of the time in Spain .
If I had kids...would I send them to a Welsh school as a non speaker myself. Definitely once you can speak a second languages it's a proven fact that learning a new language comes easier. Ive always said the advice I would give any young people is a get skill, profession and a language such as Spanish.This opens a large part of the world if you want to take your skill elsewhere. A lot more difficult in Europe now. That's a different argument which gets discussed on here a lot.
Welsh language on 16:03 - Mar 1 with 452 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 07:24 - Mar 1 by SgorioFruit

Many youngsters do, and many youngsters don't.

This isn't Italy, or Spain or France, this is Wales, and Welsh being taught in schools shouldn't get people so wound up.

Other languages can be taken at secondary school, well they teach German and French in the local secondary school here, alongside being a Welsh medium school.

As I have previously mentioned about my children attending a Welsh primary school. Kids there ages 6 and 7 and so on have already reached a decent level of fluency in Welsh and they come from just English speaking homes. I can assure you that nothing has been rammed down their necks, or forced upon, and there isn't any segregation or thinking Welsh speakers are anything better than English speakers. It is just a Welsh speaking community, a Welsh speaking town. I'm really not making this up.

Others that keep going on about learning different european languages instead, well what's stopping them?
Hasn't there been numerous studies about kids who are bilingual early have their brains wired up to absorb more languages much easier in the future?

That's been the big point tho, Welsh is compulsory in our schools (despite Drakeford once saying it would not happen because it would be bad for the language) and my son doesn't want to learn it. He doesn't have a choice and it's a waste of the schools time because he doesn't make any effort in class and won't speak it when he leaves, none of his friends speak Welsh either.

A lot of money has been thrown at the Welsh language but the number of fluent speakers is still dropping.

To me there are more important things like the NHS,, education in more important subjects like Maths or the sciences, socila care, the economy, infrastructure. yet we throw money at the Senedd's pet projects, the increase in MS's, net zero (when Wales is around 0.2% of the worlds CO2 emissions (the UK is only 1.03% whereas China is ver 29% and rising) and crime.
Aren't peoples lives more important, when the waiting list for a major op is 5 years, when you cannot get the police to come out or an ambuance takes 7 hours, why do we spend on less important things than sipporting life itself? People are dying waiting for ambulances and operations.
Welsh language on 16:37 - Mar 1 with 446 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 16:03 - Mar 1 by SullutaCreturned

That's been the big point tho, Welsh is compulsory in our schools (despite Drakeford once saying it would not happen because it would be bad for the language) and my son doesn't want to learn it. He doesn't have a choice and it's a waste of the schools time because he doesn't make any effort in class and won't speak it when he leaves, none of his friends speak Welsh either.

A lot of money has been thrown at the Welsh language but the number of fluent speakers is still dropping.

To me there are more important things like the NHS,, education in more important subjects like Maths or the sciences, socila care, the economy, infrastructure. yet we throw money at the Senedd's pet projects, the increase in MS's, net zero (when Wales is around 0.2% of the worlds CO2 emissions (the UK is only 1.03% whereas China is ver 29% and rising) and crime.
Aren't peoples lives more important, when the waiting list for a major op is 5 years, when you cannot get the police to come out or an ambuance takes 7 hours, why do we spend on less important things than sipporting life itself? People are dying waiting for ambulances and operations.

The Welsh government spend a few million on the Welsh language which is a drop in the ocean compared to the 7 billion they spend on the nhs.
Welsh language on 17:00 - Mar 1 with 416 viewsFlashberryjack

I don't think that has anything to do with the welsh language, more to do with the way the welsh government run wales.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh language on 17:04 - Mar 1 with 414 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 16:37 - Mar 1 by lifelong

The Welsh government spend a few million on the Welsh language which is a drop in the ocean compared to the 7 billion they spend on the nhs.

it's not just about the Welsh language, the waste in Wales is awful. Yes I know Westminster is worse and that's not acceptable either but I'm fed up of Drakeford spouting off about not being given enough money when they waste so much and Wales is in such a sorry state.

Even worse, it seems to me, that Drakeford and gething et al are now outed as being just as bad a bunch of liars and charlatans as the Westminster government after all their nonsene claims.
We don't do it differently in Wales, we are run by a bunch of self serving crooks every bit as bad as London's "elite"
Welsh language on 19:08 - Mar 1 with 376 viewsonehunglow

Young men have always moved away from Wales for a better life

Welsh language on 19:38 - Mar 1 with 371 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 19:08 - Mar 1 by onehunglow

Young men have always moved away from Wales for a better life

While many stay and try to improve things, most of those that leave do not sit on a high horse and look down, some however, do.
The main locations where young people leave are rural ones, while many young people leave the two major cities, Swansea and Cardiff more young people replace them.
Welsh language on 19:48 - Mar 1 with 359 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 17:00 - Mar 1 by Flashberryjack

I don't think that has anything to do with the welsh language, more to do with the way the welsh government run wales.

The point being that speaking Welsh is no good to them outside Wales, Spanish or French are much more useful.
Welsh language on 20:13 - Mar 1 with 338 viewsBoundy

Welsh language on 19:48 - Mar 1 by SullutaCreturned

The point being that speaking Welsh is no good to them outside Wales, Spanish or French are much more useful.

I have no issue with the language at all, it has a unique position in Celtic folk lore the same as say Manx or Scottish Gaelic ,something which is great to have but in the scheme of things nothing to fight over, there are far more important issues facing the country which are often overlooked .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh language on 20:17 - Mar 1 with 338 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 19:38 - Mar 1 by lifelong

While many stay and try to improve things, most of those that leave do not sit on a high horse and look down, some however, do.
The main locations where young people leave are rural ones, while many young people leave the two major cities, Swansea and Cardiff more young people replace them.

Girls and horses!
They do my swede in.
My daughter had one of them when a pre teen. Expensive and unnecessary but you do sit up high on a horse though falling off isn’t pleasant

I’ve said countless times,questioning Welsh attracts more abuse than being a child murderer .
It is both sad and depressing .

But very true

Any questioning at all sees welsh speakers queuing up to Chuck abuse although it’s much harder on this site now, so it’s more subtle. However ,subtlety isn’t easy for some

Some day

Welsh language on 20:29 - Mar 1 with 332 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 20:17 - Mar 1 by onehunglow

Girls and horses!
They do my swede in.
My daughter had one of them when a pre teen. Expensive and unnecessary but you do sit up high on a horse though falling off isn’t pleasant

I’ve said countless times,questioning Welsh attracts more abuse than being a child murderer .
It is both sad and depressing .

But very true

Any questioning at all sees welsh speakers queuing up to Chuck abuse although it’s much harder on this site now, so it’s more subtle. However ,subtlety isn’t easy for some

Some day

Yawn.
Welsh language on 20:34 - Mar 1 with 332 viewsonehunglow

Rest my case
You cant help yourself
Can you not see my comments are not personally aimed at individual welsh speakers
My old fella and his crew were more welsh speaking than you. They didn’t see it as anything other than the language of the family .

They would

Welsh language on 20:58 - Mar 1 with 325 viewslifelong

You derogatory remarks are aimed at all Welsh people, you have always done it and always will, you can’t help yourself.
Welsh language on 21:01 - Mar 1 with 324 viewsonehunglow

This site discourages personal historic spats .

Welsh language on 07:47 - Mar 2 with 259 viewsbuilthjack

Welsh language on 20:58 - Mar 1 by lifelong

You derogatory remarks are aimed at all Welsh people, you have always done it and always will, you can’t help yourself.

The anti Welsh are at it again.
I would love these people to come to a Wales away game.
They wouldn’t last 2 minutes.

Or perhaps they should. They would then learn what being Welsh means to people.
[Post edited 2 Mar 7:50]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Welsh language on 08:38 - Mar 2 with 247 viewsonehunglow

Anti Welsh.
You’re at it again
Please,reflect .

Welsh language on 09:35 - Mar 2 with 239 viewsSgorioFruit

Welsh language on 19:48 - Mar 1 by SullutaCreturned

That's pretty obvious isn't it?
Of course Welsh isn't going to be much use to them outside of Wales.
And of course Spanish and French are more useful outside of Wales. So in that instance they should learn French and Spanish if they want to. So what is this issue here? The issue here is Welsh is taught in school in Wales? Jesus wept.
What about other compulsory subjects like science and technology? I hated them in school, however useful it might be, more useful than Welsh? Maybe, maybe not, but i hated them. I don't go on forums later on in life saying all science and technology should be scrapped.
It is down to personal choice. If your children have missed out because they learnt Welsh instead of French or Spanish, then what is stopping them moving to France or Spain?
There is no getting away from this is Wales, and Welsh is spoke.

Welsh speaking numbers dropping? I wouldn't pay attention to the figure nor the census. It is largely inaccurate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024