Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Michu 14:15 - Sep 3 with 19880 viewsJackSomething

I'm sure someone posted the other day that Michu is not a creative player behind a striker, that's he a goalscorer pure and simple.

Whoever that was may be interested in this:

'Michu made a remarkable seven key passes v the Baggies - more than the entire West Brom side put together.'

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Michu on 23:58 - Sep 3 with 4833 viewsDrizzy

Michu on 23:53 - Sep 3 by SwansNZ

He was the one who scored most of our goals, and he can’t assist himself

29 goals scored last season not by Michu. He assisted 2.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Michu on 00:55 - Sep 4 with 4791 viewsPlasticman

Michu on 20:44 - Sep 3 by townhill_boi

To me Michu looks half the player he was last season. I was afraid he might not be able to perform as well as last season, i hope bony comes could or we may struggle for goals up front.

have you even looked at him during games? His workrate puts everyone else to shame, really.

He's a huge asset for us not only for the goals he scored last season, but also for the huge amount of work he does for the TEAM whenever he is fielded.

Plastic since 2012

Michu on 02:06 - Sep 4 with 4764 viewsSwansNZ

Michu on 23:58 - Sep 3 by Drizzy

29 goals scored last season not by Michu. He assisted 2.

I think if you looked at most of the top PL goal scorers from last season, they will not have a high number of assists.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Michu on 03:28 - Sep 4 with 4753 viewsDrizzy

Michu on 02:06 - Sep 4 by SwansNZ

I think if you looked at most of the top PL goal scorers from last season, they will not have a high number of assists.

Van Persie had 10 assists, Suarez had 5 assists, Rooney had 11 assists. But that's just because they're in good teams with lots of player able to score, right?

Not necessarily.

Michu's tally is more like Benteke, Lukaku and Lambert's but all 3 of those out and out strikers still had twice as many assists as him. Those 3 were comfortably their respective team's top scorer.

The truly creative players are racking up 10+ assists right e.g. Silva, Hazard, Cazorla but they're special players playing in excellent teams with lots of good finishers, right?

Well Shaun Maloney managed 8 assists and Bryan Ruiz managed 7. Both attacking midfielders playing at clubs that finished below us, neither with particularly prolific forward players.

Assists aren't the be all end all for measuring an attacking midfielder's creativity. However of the course of the season it's a good an indicator as you'll get. I'd wager that chance creation stats show quite a similar story.

One game doesn't alter the trend. Over the course of the season I think we'll see a change in Michu's play as he adapts to play a more creative role to accommodate Bony. Maybe not quite as many goals but certainly more assists from him. So far he has been lacking in that department. If he wasn't lacking, he wouldn't be at this club. Simple.

Michu on 05:14 - Sep 4 with 4735 viewsgibs0n

Michu do not make the assist, because he score himself - no need to pass the ball for an assist ;-)

He would probably have had more assist last season though, if he could have passed it to Persie instead of Graham, Moore and Shecter.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2013 5:15]
Michu on 06:17 - Sep 4 with 4707 viewsDrizzy

Michu on 05:14 - Sep 4 by gibs0n

Michu do not make the assist, because he score himself - no need to pass the ball for an assist ;-)

He would probably have had more assist last season though, if he could have passed it to Persie instead of Graham, Moore and Shecter.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2013 5:15]

Yep. Didn't help at all that every other player in our squad was a mediocre finisher at best but now Bony has arrived so things should change.

Michu created 32 chances last season. Similar to Ki (same no. of assists each too) who's a defensive midfielder. De Guzman and Shaun Maloney doubled this figure. Creative attacking midfielder last season? Nah.

Michu already has 1 assist and created 7 chances in his first 3 games this year. Sign of much better things to come but it's still early days. All of the stats above came from the West Brom game so too early to tell if this indicative of a new style of play or whether he was just playing particularly well that day.

Michu on 06:52 - Sep 4 with 4697 viewsDr_Winston

*engage broken record mode*

All the other players mentioned spent the season in their favoured positions. Michu didn't. We put him back into midfield and suddenly people are crowing about how influential he can be.

No f*cking sh*t like.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Michu on 08:19 - Sep 4 with 4649 viewsHalon_x

Michu on 19:08 - Sep 3 by Dr_Winston

Anyone who thinks Michu's not creative should be roundly ignored.

Exactly
Login to get fewer ads

Michu on 08:21 - Sep 4 with 4642 viewsHalon_x

Michu on 21:28 - Sep 3 by Belfast

Quite simply the finest player i have ever seen in a swans shirt.

Upon giving it a few minutes of thought, i think i might have 2 agree on that
Michu on 09:32 - Sep 4 with 4575 viewsjruss1

I don’t class Michu as a ‘creative midfielder’ I class him as a ‘goal scoring midfield player’ or a ‘second striker’, a massive difference. Because he plays ‘in the hole’ the natural assumption would be to assume he is our ‘play maker’ as this is the traditional position for players of that nature. But it doesn’t apply to Laudrup’s system and tactics.

Thinking back to when Laudrup signed Michu he said he needed to address the goals from midfield that Gylfi had and we were now missing, I’m not going to find the quotes but they will be there. He signed him to be a goal scoring midfielder, not a play maker.

In Laudrup’s 4-3-3 the creativity really falls to more deeper midfield player — Shelvey , JDG etc and the wingers who operate more as attacking midfielders when we have the ball. It’s been talked about a lot, even by ML himself that he likes his wide men to play narrow. This brings them into the areas that the more traditional creative midfielder would usually operate. By having them operate in these positions it allows Michu to look forward and make the runs beyond the striker and into the box — which is really his strength, alongside his excellent finishing. Laudrup is utilising both those strengths to the maximum while operating this way.

Therefore, he will never have a lot of assists, as he simply isn’t in the areas to do it. That’s not his game, that’s not what ML is instructing him to do. He isn’t saying ‘find the ball and look to play others in’. He’s telling him to find the advanced positions , make the forward runs and look to get on the end of through balls and crosses from other players. This makes him a very much a ‘second striker’ rather than an ‘attacking midfielder’ or a ‘creative midfielder’ despite his starting position usually being the one that operates in this way. With that in mind I understand why you feel he should be more of a creative influence, but if you study it closely it’s not what he’s there to do.

With such a big investment in a massive talent such as Bony, it may see Michu operate a little differently, but I doubt it. I get the impression ML always wants to play with a main forward and Michu behind, he’s talked about taking the pressure off Michu goal wise. I don’t think that means a change in approach in any way.

Comparing him to other players who play in different sides, with different systems and tactics and have different skill sets is completely and utterly pointless.

But the forgetting all that stuff, I think your seriously nit picking by finding holes in Michu’s game. No player is complete. As pointed out, he has to be one of the best players we’ve ever had. Apart from his high standard of play and unselfishness to play in a position he doesn’t like to suit the team for the last few months, his commitment is incredible. His attitude in Romania was fantastic and in the second half Sunday you could really see how much the win meant to him. He bloody loves it.
Michu on 09:38 - Sep 4 with 4562 viewswr72

Everything goes through Michu, offensively, which equates to being rather createful,i'd have thought.He's got the lot.Great in the air,Big,strong and powerful.Has a beautiful weighted ball in his locker and a natural finisher.And he's ours.

It's difficult to say he's not the greatest Swan of all time,although I never seen Ivor.
Michu on 09:39 - Sep 4 with 4558 viewsperchrockjack

To me, he s become even better as he is more creative as well as being a real pain to play against .
And I say again only Allchurch comes close as he really is so important for us.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Michu on 09:41 - Sep 4 with 4543 viewswr72

Did Allchurch play in the top flight with the Swans? If not,then Michu has to be the greatest Swan ever.
Michu on 09:47 - Sep 4 with 4534 viewsmikl0s

I find it hilarious when someone base AM efficiency on assists only.

Assists are only the last person to touch the ball before the scorer but does not take in to account screenings, runs, cover and passing that is needed for the AM role.

Michu is a class AM - his unselfishness is inspiring.

If Bony and Michu start to gel.....oh my

Michu on 09:52 - Sep 4 with 4523 viewsperchrockjack

No, when Ivor played at first we were solid second division and he played with the greatest Swansea Born players in our history.
He went to NEWCASTLE, where he is still revered and then some other outfit before returning home to finish his career.
He did play internationally and performed at the highest level which Muchu hasn't -so far.
He was a beautiful player ,a real Gent and modest beyond belief.

Michu though is a powerhouse and utterly different .

Michu on 11:54 - Sep 4 with 4211 viewsgibs0n

Michu on 09:52 - Sep 4 by perchrockjack

No, when Ivor played at first we were solid second division and he played with the greatest Swansea Born players in our history.
He went to NEWCASTLE, where he is still revered and then some other outfit before returning home to finish his career.
He did play internationally and performed at the highest level which Muchu hasn't -so far.
He was a beautiful player ,a real Gent and modest beyond belief.

Michu though is a powerhouse and utterly different .

...and our best player! Creative or not.
Michu on 12:41 - Sep 4 with 4172 viewsDrizzy

Michu on 09:32 - Sep 4 by jruss1

I don’t class Michu as a ‘creative midfielder’ I class him as a ‘goal scoring midfield player’ or a ‘second striker’, a massive difference. Because he plays ‘in the hole’ the natural assumption would be to assume he is our ‘play maker’ as this is the traditional position for players of that nature. But it doesn’t apply to Laudrup’s system and tactics.

Thinking back to when Laudrup signed Michu he said he needed to address the goals from midfield that Gylfi had and we were now missing, I’m not going to find the quotes but they will be there. He signed him to be a goal scoring midfielder, not a play maker.

In Laudrup’s 4-3-3 the creativity really falls to more deeper midfield player — Shelvey , JDG etc and the wingers who operate more as attacking midfielders when we have the ball. It’s been talked about a lot, even by ML himself that he likes his wide men to play narrow. This brings them into the areas that the more traditional creative midfielder would usually operate. By having them operate in these positions it allows Michu to look forward and make the runs beyond the striker and into the box — which is really his strength, alongside his excellent finishing. Laudrup is utilising both those strengths to the maximum while operating this way.

Therefore, he will never have a lot of assists, as he simply isn’t in the areas to do it. That’s not his game, that’s not what ML is instructing him to do. He isn’t saying ‘find the ball and look to play others in’. He’s telling him to find the advanced positions , make the forward runs and look to get on the end of through balls and crosses from other players. This makes him a very much a ‘second striker’ rather than an ‘attacking midfielder’ or a ‘creative midfielder’ despite his starting position usually being the one that operates in this way. With that in mind I understand why you feel he should be more of a creative influence, but if you study it closely it’s not what he’s there to do.

With such a big investment in a massive talent such as Bony, it may see Michu operate a little differently, but I doubt it. I get the impression ML always wants to play with a main forward and Michu behind, he’s talked about taking the pressure off Michu goal wise. I don’t think that means a change in approach in any way.

Comparing him to other players who play in different sides, with different systems and tactics and have different skill sets is completely and utterly pointless.

But the forgetting all that stuff, I think your seriously nit picking by finding holes in Michu’s game. No player is complete. As pointed out, he has to be one of the best players we’ve ever had. Apart from his high standard of play and unselfishness to play in a position he doesn’t like to suit the team for the last few months, his commitment is incredible. His attitude in Romania was fantastic and in the second half Sunday you could really see how much the win meant to him. He bloody loves it.

Precisely my point but when he's referred to as a God on here you shan't dare pick holes in any aspect of his game no matter how unnecessary they are.

Michu on 12:46 - Sep 4 with 4164 viewsDrizzy

Michu on 09:47 - Sep 4 by mikl0s

Assists are only the last person to touch the ball before the scorer but does not take in to account screenings, runs, cover and passing that is needed for the AM role.

Erm think "key passing" accounts for passing just fine. What's a screening exactly?

Lots are coming in and saying he's not a creative player and justifying their reasons why it's not really part of the game or Laudrup's system for him to be creative. Fair enough. I just stated a fact that's supported by statistics and having watched every game he played last season.

Michu on 12:46 - Sep 4 with 4163 viewsDarran

Anyone that thinks Michu is currently a better player than Alan Curtis and Robbie James is either a kid or got a f*cking screw loose.

Great player though.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Michu on 12:47 - Sep 4 with 4158 viewsDrizzy

Michu on 06:52 - Sep 4 by Dr_Winston

*engage broken record mode*

All the other players mentioned spent the season in their favoured positions. Michu didn't. We put him back into midfield and suddenly people are crowing about how influential he can be.

No f*cking sh*t like.

Heh. I remember when you had something to add to the discussion.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2013 12:58]

Michu on 13:23 - Sep 4 with 4127 viewsMattG

Michu on 09:47 - Sep 4 by mikl0s

The run he made on Sunday that gave Pablo the chance that hit the bar was brilliant and a classic example of creating a chance without actually touching the ball. He took 2 defenders out wide and left Pablo a massive space to run into - should have scored, really.

With the arrival of Vazquez, there seems little reason for ML to play Michu as the main striker from here on and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he gives us from behind the striker for the rest of the season.
Michu on 13:50 - Sep 4 with 4105 viewsperchrockjack

I would argue DArren that he is more crucial than Curt or Robbie mainly because in those days we had otheoutlets to score goals.

It s hard to compare though

Michu on 15:28 - Sep 4 with 4059 viewsmonmouth

Michu on 12:46 - Sep 4 by Darran

Anyone that thinks Michu is currently a better player than Alan Curtis and Robbie James is either a kid or got a f*cking screw loose.

Great player though.

Or isn't wallowing in nostalgic memories of a different game altogether?

I'm with you though. For me, nobody we have at the moment tops the Curt, Robbie or Jimmy...or Leighton, whatever he became...that exist in my memory.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Michu on 17:13 - Sep 4 with 4022 viewsDr_Winston

Michu on 12:47 - Sep 4 by Drizzy

Heh. I remember when you had something to add to the discussion.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2013 12:58]

I suppose it beats trying to convince people that Michu's not a creative influence.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Michu on 17:17 - Sep 4 with 4016 viewsDrizzy

Michu on 17:13 - Sep 4 by Dr_Winston

I suppose it beats trying to convince people that Michu's not a creative influence.

Nice twist. Think someone offended de Guzman on another thread. Run along and do your job.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024