Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! 07:46 - Sep 30 with 7394 viewsNOTRAC

We have not beaten one of the top teams at home in the championship since Laudrup became our manager.Of ten matches played we have drawn four and lost six.
These have been our results
Chelsea 1-1
Man Utd 1-1. 1-4
Arsenal 0-2 2-3
Spurs 1-2
Man City 0-0
Liverpool 0-0 1-1
Everton 0-3
Are we just not good enough, or is our manager using the wrong tactics in these games?

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 07:48 - Sep 30 with 3433 viewsNOTRAC

Sorry Obviously Premiership I meant.

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 07:49 - Sep 30 with 3425 viewsDr_Winston

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 07:48 - Sep 30 by NOTRAC

We seek to contain these sides, not beat them.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 08:15 - Sep 30 with 3394 viewsNOTRAC

We haven't done much better away from home either.
Manchester City 0-1
Arsenal 2-0
Spurs 0-1 0-1
Everton 0-0
Liverpool 0-5
Chelsea 0-2
Man Utd 1-2
That represents a total of 8 points out of 54 ,home and away against the top sides.
I suppose this is the real reality check.

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 08:15 - Sep 30 with 3384 viewsmonmouth

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 07:49 - Sep 30 by Dr_Winston

And we've only beaten one away in the prem too.....and then we used Shechter/Moore up front and Michu in midfield.

Three times the tactics really worked. At Anfield, at SB in the Cap1, and at home to Chels in the Cap1. At home and away in the prem using saturday's tactics and Michu alone up front they have yielded about six points out of 51 against City, Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arse, Everton and Pool, if my quick finger counting is correct. Or 9 out of 54 if you include the win at the emirates when we played with a striker.

Quite how anyone can claim that as successful is beyond me.

Edit - Notrac did the legwork while I was counting on my fingers. Six points out of 51 using Michu upfront and scaredy cat tactics it is.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2013 8:17]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:34 - Sep 30 with 3270 viewshammy

But surely this is the norm. If the Swans were to regularly beat the top teams then we would be a top team too. If the results of any of the teams in top 7 (last season) versus the rest were analysed then I'm pretty sure it would be quite similar.

As an example, West Brom had their first win at Man Utd in 40+ years over the weekend ! These wins are an exception and not the rule.

If we expect ML (or any other manager) to make the Swans a top team then we need to have the budget / quality of player these other teams have. Ozil cost approx. £40M, which is pretty much what our entire squad cost.

The top teams just have better players and therefore most of the time they will win. On the odd occasion that we do get a win or a draw then we should rejoice. I think it's unfair to blame the manager for not being able to win these games.

Now if / when we don't win most of our games against the rest of the PL this is when I get upset, since we are now at a level to compete with these teams. Even though we have not won at home yet I am quite pleased with the way the season is going at the moment, since the away wins at WBA and Crystal Palace are exactly what we should be aiming for. I can see ML's thinking, in that we have little chance of winning against the top 7, so let's play a containing game and try and nick a point; whereas against the rest we have every chance of winning both home and away. This surely has to be our target this season and for quite a few to come.

BTW, we only lost 1-2 to Arsenal on the weekend ;)
[Post edited 30 Sep 2013 9:42]

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:36 - Sep 30 with 3265 viewsraynor94

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 08:15 - Sep 30 by NOTRAC

We haven't done much better away from home either.
Manchester City 0-1
Arsenal 2-0
Spurs 0-1 0-1
Everton 0-0
Liverpool 0-5
Chelsea 0-2
Man Utd 1-2
That represents a total of 8 points out of 54 ,home and away against the top sides.
I suppose this is the real reality check.

Yes, the reality check is that it is always going to be difficult to compete against the top clubs for a club like us, but as long as we pick up points against the others there is no need to worry

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:36 - Sep 30 with 3264 viewsdameedna

We are in the bottom 6 to 8 clubs

southampton hull and cardif seem to be doing well but let's see how we do against them
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:44 - Sep 30 with 3245 viewsshingle

To stay in this league is all that matters, any single pt against a top club must be seen as a bonus, so lets stop all this silly talk about us being a top six club etc and just be happy to survive in this league.
Login to get fewer ads

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:48 - Sep 30 with 3226 viewsSnowgoon

Surely us beating one of the top 8 would be a bonus rather than an expectation?

Listen, you f*cking fringe, if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. You stop me again whilst I'm walking, and I'll cut your f*cking Jacobs off

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:50 - Sep 30 with 3220 viewslifelong

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:34 - Sep 30 by hammy

But surely this is the norm. If the Swans were to regularly beat the top teams then we would be a top team too. If the results of any of the teams in top 7 (last season) versus the rest were analysed then I'm pretty sure it would be quite similar.

As an example, West Brom had their first win at Man Utd in 40+ years over the weekend ! These wins are an exception and not the rule.

If we expect ML (or any other manager) to make the Swans a top team then we need to have the budget / quality of player these other teams have. Ozil cost approx. £40M, which is pretty much what our entire squad cost.

The top teams just have better players and therefore most of the time they will win. On the odd occasion that we do get a win or a draw then we should rejoice. I think it's unfair to blame the manager for not being able to win these games.

Now if / when we don't win most of our games against the rest of the PL this is when I get upset, since we are now at a level to compete with these teams. Even though we have not won at home yet I am quite pleased with the way the season is going at the moment, since the away wins at WBA and Crystal Palace are exactly what we should be aiming for. I can see ML's thinking, in that we have little chance of winning against the top 7, so let's play a containing game and try and nick a point; whereas against the rest we have every chance of winning both home and away. This surely has to be our target this season and for quite a few to come.

BTW, we only lost 1-2 to Arsenal on the weekend ;)
[Post edited 30 Sep 2013 9:42]

This.
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:53 - Sep 30 with 3207 viewsBaker

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 07:48 - Sep 30 by NOTRAC

Premier League, actually.

Yours,
A. Pendant

May I say? what a smashing blouse you have on!

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 10:47 - Sep 30 with 3116 viewsperchrockjack

The reality test is that the big clubs seem vulnerable for the first time in years. Citeh Utd for example. Its getting to be very congested in midtable downwards and its gonna be exciting .
Just wish LAUDRUP would stop giving so much respect to the "big" clubs.
As prosss would say feckem.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 10:53 - Sep 30 with 3105 viewswr72

Reading this board the weekend you'd think we'd lost to Accrington not top of the table Arsenal.

Huge overreaction lads.
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:03 - Sep 30 with 3089 views_

Are we just not good enough?? Is that really what you're asking??

And why eh? Cos we got narrowly beat by one of the best teams we've played, in real terms.

It's sad, our support, it really is.

Michael Laudrup has set a very dangerous precendent for himself. He's built "THE" best squad of players in the history of the club and still the "fans" aren't pleased.

Arsenal
Man United
Chelsea
Man City
Spurs (the last couple of seasons)
Liverpool

These teams are capable of getting 70 to 90 points in a season. We're always happy to get just 40, remember?! But o get to 70 points, at least, then these teams will want to come to clubs like ours for the 3, not just the one. The fact we're even pinching the odd point off them here and there and even beating one in a Semi Final should be rejoiced and appreciated for the amazing feat it is.

And playing Michu up front is hardly containing a team or playing for a draw. I can't believe anyone even thinks that. The Arsenal players knew they were in a battle, they celebrated wildly at the final whistle, our fans though, they want it all...

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:15 - Sep 30 with 3071 viewslifelong

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:03 - Sep 30 by _

Are we just not good enough?? Is that really what you're asking??

And why eh? Cos we got narrowly beat by one of the best teams we've played, in real terms.

It's sad, our support, it really is.

Michael Laudrup has set a very dangerous precendent for himself. He's built "THE" best squad of players in the history of the club and still the "fans" aren't pleased.

Arsenal
Man United
Chelsea
Man City
Spurs (the last couple of seasons)
Liverpool

These teams are capable of getting 70 to 90 points in a season. We're always happy to get just 40, remember?! But o get to 70 points, at least, then these teams will want to come to clubs like ours for the 3, not just the one. The fact we're even pinching the odd point off them here and there and even beating one in a Semi Final should be rejoiced and appreciated for the amazing feat it is.

And playing Michu up front is hardly containing a team or playing for a draw. I can't believe anyone even thinks that. The Arsenal players knew they were in a battle, they celebrated wildly at the final whistle, our fans though, they want it all...

Indeed.

The reaction of the Arsenal keeper when that second goal went it says it all.
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:16 - Sep 30 with 3070 viewswaynekerr55

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 07:49 - Sep 30 by Dr_Winston

It is interesting that We've only scored once when Wilfried hasn't been on the field

Onwards and upwards - here's to a result Thursday

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:34 - Sep 30 with 3038 views_

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:16 - Sep 30 by waynekerr55

It is interesting that We've only scored once when Wilfried hasn't been on the field

Onwards and upwards - here's to a result Thursday

Didn't we score 2 against Palace where he didn't get off the bench?

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:36 - Sep 30 with 3032 viewsNOTRAC

The fact that although logically we are not as good as the top teams, because of the huge differences in player costs and wages ,I still find it surprising that we have only won one game in twenty during Laudrups management.
I honestly believe that we are better than that, and that Laudrups tactics in these games has to be questioned.By saying that I am most certainly not questioning his ability as our manager, I think ,in fact that he is the best that we have ever had, but I do believe a more adventurous attitude needs to be tried.

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:41 - Sep 30 with 3022 viewsperchrockjack

That's a long one ,ths is short.
Arsenal like the others are just a name as is Accrington.
We no longer have to go there and now got to bigger grounds cos we re better in every way.
Our expectations are higher I every way and they should be because no longer should we or have to sign average players.
FANS DESERVE THE VERY BEST and every fe3ckn player should want to play for my club and show real desire.Not all do and when they don't,God forgive me,I get annoyed and come on a internet site not to invite people I don't know to a straightener but to cast my opinion.
FANS? Yeah,seem pretty subdued and seem to sulk when behind instead of getting a bit feisty.
Aye,that s it

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:45 - Sep 30 with 3008 viewsraynor94

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:36 - Sep 30 by NOTRAC

The fact that although logically we are not as good as the top teams, because of the huge differences in player costs and wages ,I still find it surprising that we have only won one game in twenty during Laudrups management.
I honestly believe that we are better than that, and that Laudrups tactics in these games has to be questioned.By saying that I am most certainly not questioning his ability as our manager, I think ,in fact that he is the best that we have ever had, but I do believe a more adventurous attitude needs to be tried.

Serious question, do you ever post after we have won? can`t say i have noticed, and as someone else pointed out if we beat the big teams we would be in the top 6. Yet another big over reaction after a defeat

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:55 - Sep 30 with 2990 viewswaynekerr55

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:34 - Sep 30 by _

Didn't we score 2 against Palace where he didn't get off the bench?

My bad but to be fair we did start with Vasquez up top. What my OP should read is we've scored one goal when we've not had a CF on the field with Michu in the hole

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:55 - Sep 30 with 2985 viewsperchrockjack

Does it matter is he does.
Its pointless gushing over a win as you learn only from defeats and disappointments.
You can have a site where people simply come all over each other so that s not for me.
Reasonable discussions eh
Who d have them

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:56 - Sep 30 with 2980 views_

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:36 - Sep 30 by NOTRAC

But we are NOT better than that and that's the big mistake you and the other fantasist's are making.

A question for you - If we would've had Bony last season and played Bony and Michu in every game against the top 6 - How many points would we have had?

You've got no idea, have you?!!

Bony isn't a player that works tirelessly and tracks and closes down defenders. Michu isn't a player that holds a disciplined midfield position. Over 90 minutes against a midfield of:

------ Flamini -- Ramsey-------
Gnabry -- Ozil --- Wilshere

Don't you think they would have had a field day? They cut us open on 2 occasions particularly, I felt in the game, forgetting their second goal when we lost our shape. One was a chance for Giroud end of the first half and the other was their first goal. Both those chances were very similar and very hard to defend against. That's what they are capable of doing, regularly, playing through the middle and cutting teams open. Ramsey can afford to play further up the field with Flamini holding and that means as an attacking force in the middle of the park they are one of the deadliest in this league.

Playing Bony up top with Michu wandering would leave us with Shelvey, Canas and De Guzman against Ramsey, Wilshere, Gnabry and Ozil... Come on... that's too much to ask.

If Laudrup had played Canas and Leon together I could understand supporters saying we played for a draw. We played not to contain, we played to compete and eff me... we more than did that.

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 12:03 - Sep 30 with 2954 viewsJoe_bradshaw

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:56 - Sep 30 by _

But we are NOT better than that and that's the big mistake you and the other fantasist's are making.

A question for you - If we would've had Bony last season and played Bony and Michu in every game against the top 6 - How many points would we have had?

Bony isn't a player that works tirelessly and tracks and closes down defenders. Michu isn't a player that holds a disciplined midfield position. Over 90 minutes against a midfield of:

Don't you think they would have had a field day? They cut us open on 2 occasions particularly, I felt in the game, forgetting their second goal when we lost our shape. One was a chance for Giroud end of the first half and the other was their first goal. Both those chances were very similar and very hard to defend against. That's what they are capable of doing, regularly, playing through the middle and cutting teams open. Ramsey can afford to play further up the field with Flamini holding and that means as an attacking force in the middle of the park they are one of the deadliest in this league.

Playing Bony up top with Michu wandering would leave us with Shelvey, Canas and De Guzman against Ramsey, Wilshere, Gnabry and Ozil... Come on... that's too much to ask.

If Laudrup had played Canas and Leon together I could understand supporters saying we played for a draw. We played not to contain, we played to compete and eff me... we more than did that.

Good points.

They cut us open between the two goals as well when Ozil looked odds-on to score but Vorm stood up well and made a good save.

For 10-15 minutes after the first goal we lost our heads and our shape and could have shipped more goals than we did. We missed Ash Williams very badly at that time - he would have got a grip.

If we had kept it to one going into the last 15 minutes the introduction of Bony would have given us a chance of a point. At that stage you accept that you are going to be vulnerable to the counter but that's an acceptable risk at that point in the game.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 12:04 - Sep 30 with 2951 viewsBaker

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:56 - Sep 30 by _

Bang. On. The. Money.

The 'delusions of grandeur' of the average Swans fan is absolutely staggering at times.

May I say? what a smashing blouse you have on!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024