Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! 07:46 - Sep 30 with 7486 viewsNOTRAC

We have not beaten one of the top teams at home in the championship since Laudrup became our manager.Of ten matches played we have drawn four and lost six.
These have been our results
Chelsea 1-1
Man Utd 1-1. 1-4
Arsenal 0-2 2-3
Spurs 1-2
Man City 0-0
Liverpool 0-0 1-1
Everton 0-3
Are we just not good enough, or is our manager using the wrong tactics in these games?

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:01 - Sep 30 with 1824 viewsVetchitBack

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 17:21 - Sep 30 by Uxbridge

Dunno about this. Ciddeh spanked us up there, and the Man Utd games and Chelsea A were pretty embarrassing. Home wins against Man C and Arsenal were great of course, but I've seen Laudrup teams put in better performances against the same opposition without getting the same rewards.

Agree we're handling the lesser teams even better now. I just think we're a better team all round, which of course is to be expected.

At home I was focusing on.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:07 - Sep 30 with 1814 viewsmonmouth

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 19:54 - Sep 30 by Phil_S

I have to say I agree. I didnt go Saturday as I was away for the weekend so watched in the pub where I was but it ws Arsenal we lost to, narrowly and we could easily have got a point

We've matched our tally of this time last season with a much harder start to the season and yet 12 months ago we were being applauded for how great we were.

Feet on the ground and reality check needed in some quarters

I understand all of the points made, and they are all logical, but a slightly different interpretation would be that we didn't really come close to getting a point as we created next to nothing and they created four or five golden chances. 4-1 would not have flattered them with two one on ones missed. We huffed and puffed rather ineffectually from my seat.

Maybe that is the best we can do against them; I don't know and neither does T2C or anyone else. I totally respect that viewpoint and Laudrup's footballing omnipotence, but we beat them last year with Michu in midfield and a forward as pants as Schechter keeping their backline honest and, yes, they're better now, but I'd be interested now again to see IF (THATS IF) a different approach worked, as this approach with Michu up top against the top 6 has got us one point in every nine.

So, yes I'm thrilled we competed with one of the best if not the best teams in the prem just now; yes it was a great game to watch; yes I'm delighted with our progress under Laudrup, but we lost. And doing what we did on Saturday against the top teams we invariably do. But, lets just not even question doing the same eh; at least it keeps everyone happy.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:08 - Sep 30 with 1813 viewsJackfath

It's not losing I am that worried about it's the fact that it isn't our strongest team out there I am finding it hard to get to grips with. I don't like us worrying about the opposition and I feel that we should let other teams worry about us, especially with the large strong squad we now have.

I guess its a fine balancing act and I need to get back to worrying about more important things like people leaving early.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:09 - Sep 30 with 1810 viewsVetchitBack

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 19:45 - Sep 30 by alphonseM

Comparing Swansea of '11 to Swansea of '13 is just plain silly. Apples and oranges. Not only do we have different players, a different manager, our opponents also have a lot more respect for us now, than they did back then (and different players, different managers).

Comparing how we fare against the "big teams" across this season, however, would be fair game.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2013 19:45]

Many of our players are the same. We play a similar style. We have finished in similar league positions under both managers.

As for how similar apples and oranges are I'll leave that to a pomologist.

No-one has to tell me how little we were or how good Arsenal are but I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks we went down fighting Saturday evening?

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:16 - Sep 30 with 1795 viewsJackfath

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:09 - Sep 30 by VetchitBack

Many of our players are the same. We play a similar style. We have finished in similar league positions under both managers.

No-one has to tell me how little we were or how good Arsenal are but I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks we went down fighting Saturday evening?

No we didn't fight and that's what's upset me terribly.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:30 - Sep 30 with 1772 viewsalphonseM

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:09 - Sep 30 by VetchitBack

Sorry, but to me that still doesn't make it meaningful to compare the team of '11 with the team of '13.
Yes, a few of the players are the same, but more than half the players aren't. And yes, the style may be considered similar, but when you factor in the change in tactics (i.e. passing, but always with a purpose), the change of players, the changes the other teams in the league have made over the past two years (i.e. Arsenal of '13 is imho stronger than Arsenal of '11 whereas ManU seems weaker), then it becomes almost impossible to conclude anything. Makes for good rant, but little more.

As for team spirit and attitude, yes, *that* is a topic that makes for a meaningful discussion, and no, I wasn't overly impressed... Makes me wonder what the cause is. The many new players, the packed programme, or...?
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:55 - Sep 30 with 1755 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Vorm and Dyer were the only two players who started against Arsenal two years ago and last Saturday.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:58 - Sep 30 with 1753 viewsVetchitBack

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:30 - Sep 30 by alphonseM

Sorry, but to me that still doesn't make it meaningful to compare the team of '11 with the team of '13.
Yes, a few of the players are the same, but more than half the players aren't. And yes, the style may be considered similar, but when you factor in the change in tactics (i.e. passing, but always with a purpose), the change of players, the changes the other teams in the league have made over the past two years (i.e. Arsenal of '13 is imho stronger than Arsenal of '11 whereas ManU seems weaker), then it becomes almost impossible to conclude anything. Makes for good rant, but little more.

As for team spirit and attitude, yes, *that* is a topic that makes for a meaningful discussion, and no, I wasn't overly impressed... Makes me wonder what the cause is. The many new players, the packed programme, or...?

I think you've side-tracked me now. I didn't mean to dwell on a comparison between the two teams as such I just felt that Brendan approached the big teams at home with more confidence and this was reflected in our results. And I feel we are good enough to play our normal game against the big teams home and away. We were awful against Spurs and Arsenal and lost both. I'd much rather see us go for it against these teams to at least give ourselves a chance. I think we'd surprise ourselves.

Login to get fewer ads

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:04 - Sep 30 with 1745 viewsexiledclaseboy

"We were awful against...Arsenal"

No, we really weren't.

Poll: Tory leader

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:09 - Sep 30 with 1734 viewsdeanscfc

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:04 - Sep 30 by exiledclaseboy

No, we really weren't.

We weren't awful...but we were wasteful with a lot of possession. The frustrating thing for me was that the two goals were so predictable. If you don't create/take the chances and use the possession against the top teams then they'll punish you....exactly the same thing happened against Man Utd. We showed against Liverpool the second half that we can even dominate the top teams when we're on our game. Just gotta cut out the mistakes and be more positive because when we're good we are very, very good.
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:12 - Sep 30 with 1729 viewsVetchitBack

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:04 - Sep 30 by exiledclaseboy

No, we really weren't.

When what appears to be lacking is effort rather than skill, speed, strength etc I think "awful" is justified.

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:15 - Sep 30 with 1727 viewsmonmouth

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:12 - Sep 30 by VetchitBack

When what appears to be lacking is effort rather than skill, speed, strength etc I think "awful" is justified.

I didn't get that impression at all mate. What happened to give you that view?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:17 - Sep 30 with 1723 viewsexiledclaseboy

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:12 - Sep 30 by VetchitBack

I certainly don't agree that there was a lack of effort on Saturday either. The criticism of a defeat to Arsenal, and I'll keep labouring the point that it was Arsenal we narrowly lost to on Saturday, is getting increasingly bizarre.

Poll: Tory leader

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:55 - Sep 30 with 1695 viewsPlasticman

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 19:35 - Sep 30 by Jackfath

I wonder what people will say if we lose to Southampton, Sounderland and West Ham? The point here I think is that we need to be competitive in all matches as obviously any team can beat anyone in this league this year.

What match where you watching if you thought we weren't competitive with arsenal?

We lost, get over it.

Claiming we weren't competitive is starting to sound like you are complaining for the sake of it without basing it on the actual performance the team put in. We were competitive and stats show that we even had a small margin in favour of us, except for the 1 goal difference. If that is not competitive in your eyes, nothing ever will.

Plastic since 2012

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 20:39 - Oct 1 with 1607 viewsVetchitBack

I did state that it looked like a lack of effort but if ML sent us out to contain rather than win then that's more likely the reason.

Little ol' me thinks we are good enough to play to win.

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:00 - Oct 2 with 1533 viewshammy

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 21:09 - Sep 30 by deanscfc

We weren't awful...but we were wasteful with a lot of possession. The frustrating thing for me was that the two goals were so predictable. If you don't create/take the chances and use the possession against the top teams then they'll punish you....exactly the same thing happened against Man Utd. We showed against Liverpool the second half that we can even dominate the top teams when we're on our game. Just gotta cut out the mistakes and be more positive because when we're good we are very, very good.

This post sums it up for me. We have the system and the players to take on and beat everyone in the PL, but we have to be on our game to do this and especially against the top teams. If we are not at our best then the top teams and even others will turn us over.

We had more possession than Arsenal on Saturday but were unable to make much penetration in the final third. This seemed to be due to a combination of the Arsenal defence playing well (even Mertesacker !) and our attack not being very direct or accurate (I lost count of the number of wasted, floated crosses we made in the final 20 minutes). Ben showed what needed to be done to create chances; we need more direct runs at defences and sharper, more accurate crossing. We have the players to do this now (Poz, JJS).

It is yet to be proven fully, but we do seem to have more confidence in attacking the lesser teams in the PL this season (on the evidence of the WBA and CP games). Will be interesting to see how we go against Southampton away on Sunday, who seem to be of a similar standard to us.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:15 - Oct 2 with 1524 viewsJackSomething

Napoli are 2nd in Serie A and Arsenal had them beaten after 15 minutes last night.

Does that put our performance against them into a better context?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:17 - Oct 2 with 1517 viewswr72

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:15 - Oct 2 by JackSomething

Napoli are 2nd in Serie A and Arsenal had them beaten after 15 minutes last night.

My thoughts exactly.
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:54 - Oct 2 with 1505 views2face

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:16 - Sep 30 by waynekerr55

It is interesting that We've only scored once when Wilfried hasn't been on the field

Onwards and upwards - here's to a result Thursday

We have scored 3 without Bony. We have scored zero with Michu as lone striker. We have scored 19 with Bony.
We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:19 - Oct 2 with 1476 views_

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:15 - Oct 2 by JackSomething

It should do.

It should make a mockery of the clueless lot on here, led by Dr Winston Dribble.

They tore Napoli to shreds time after time after time. I'd love to see the stats of their first half demolition - superb, they were.... but yet all would have been rosy had we just played Bony from the start.... and why??? Well, cos we beat a [shit] Arsenal side last season away and Rodgers was perceived to be more positive in 2011 - Hhahahaahaha!!! Rodgers more positive. We were so potent passing between Ash and Caulker 300 times a game!!!

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:30 - Oct 2 with 1467 viewsperchrockjack

I was waiting for someone to mention Napoli. My missus will conform that as she was throwing a very laughing carving knife at me. What she calls us for wasting chnaches is not for the delicate eyes on here so I wont repeat them.
For what its worth and to go over old ground Ozil was quiet against us;was he as arsed as he was last night. I /we don't know.
We weren t bad against arse but we are ot putting away chances creatd and this and will screw us if not corrected
Although Bony is languid, he could really fire up if he is given the opportunities often enough.
Nobody is suggesting we are "bad" just lacking and it can and will be addressed because I don't think Laudrup will put up with it in the same way as many on here will as he essentially a winner .Simple.
This league is going to be far more even this year and I d say apart from Palace few can be said to be relegation certs and all will dog it out.
Its evident that the "bigger" clubs don't have the fear factor anymore especially manure

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:48 - Oct 2 with 1460 viewsBrynmill_Jack

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 09:53 - Sep 30 by Baker

Premier League, actually.

Yours,
A. Pendant

Don't you mean A. Pedant?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 12:06 - Oct 2 with 1448 viewsJoe_bradshaw

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 11:30 - Oct 2 by perchrockjack

I was waiting for someone to mention Napoli. My missus will conform that as she was throwing a very laughing carving knife at me. What she calls us for wasting chnaches is not for the delicate eyes on here so I wont repeat them.
For what its worth and to go over old ground Ozil was quiet against us;was he as arsed as he was last night. I /we don't know.
We weren t bad against arse but we are ot putting away chances creatd and this and will screw us if not corrected
Although Bony is languid, he could really fire up if he is given the opportunities often enough.
Nobody is suggesting we are "bad" just lacking and it can and will be addressed because I don't think Laudrup will put up with it in the same way as many on here will as he essentially a winner .Simple.
This league is going to be far more even this year and I d say apart from Palace few can be said to be relegation certs and all will dog it out.
Its evident that the "bigger" clubs don't have the fear factor anymore especially manure

Ozil was quiet because Canas did a number on him and followed him everywhere he went.

Unfortunately that left Ramsey to run the game and the rest of our midfield couldn't cope during that period when it mattered.

We did as well against Arsenal as just about anyone since the opening day. We're fine.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 14:06 - Oct 2 with 1408 viewsHerohead

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 12:06 - Oct 2 by Joe_bradshaw

Ozil was quiet because Canas did a number on him and followed him everywhere he went.

Unfortunately that left Ramsey to run the game and the rest of our midfield couldn't cope during that period when it mattered.

We did as well against Arsenal as just about anyone since the opening day. We're fine.

I agree we are fine.
Tbh i think ML looks for point, and containing the gunners, with less effort, saving energy for uefa cup, makes sense to me.
Had it been fulham, west ham, it would have been different.
Yes i think that we can beat arsenal. But it would mean a hard fight.
Then rather a boring draw, or loss.
Then we move on in europe and take point off our rivals in the PL instead.

Ps. The gunners are no pushovers and this is still swansea city fc, not Swansealona as some seems to forget.
It is a long season still
[Post edited 2 Oct 2013 14:08]

I googeled cardiff+football and got "page not found"
Poll: Laudrup out?

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 14:45 - Oct 2 with 1390 viewsJackSomething

We haven't beaten a top team at home since Laudrup became our manager! on 12:06 - Oct 2 by Joe_bradshaw

Thank you for making the point about Ozil. You know Perch, when a player has a poor or quiet game, it may not be because he's not 'arsed'. It may be because the opposition made him have a poor or quiet game.

We lost and it was a disappointment, but it doesn't mean we have to be critical about all facets of our performance. At least Ben's performance has quieted those who think he needs a rest, for example.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024