Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Centre is pants 20:43 - Aug 3 with 3989 viewsjack_lord

Are the council to blame?
Are the planners who murdered it in the 1960's or is more to do with that pikey bunch 40 miles east bleeding the rest of the country so they can grow?
There are nice parts in the city but it does look bad compared to a proper city like Bristol.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Swansea Centre is pants on 20:46 - Aug 3 with 2910 viewsDarran

Great idea for a thread Jase im surprised nobody else has thought of it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea Centre is pants on 20:47 - Aug 3 with 2905 viewsJackoBoostardo

Mostly the council (and the extortionate parking fees/council tax) pushing people and retailers to out of town. The sh1tty welsh assembly are also to blame too, for concentrating purely on Cardiff at the detriment to the rest of Wales.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Swansea Centre is pants on 22:27 - Aug 3 with 2795 viewsSwanzay

Swansea Centre is pants on 20:46 - Aug 3 by Darran

Great idea for a thread Jase im surprised nobody else has thought of it.

Actually today in the news:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28113687

Still no news on Swansea, feck all will happen until people wake up and realise the locals in power dont give a shite, apart for what in it for themselves!
Swansea Centre is pants on 22:51 - Aug 3 with 2762 viewsjack_lord

Swansea Centre is pants on 22:27 - Aug 3 by Swanzay

Actually today in the news:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28113687

Still no news on Swansea, feck all will happen until people wake up and realise the locals in power dont give a shite, apart for what in it for themselves!

The story is, however, only written with attention on English cities.

Swansea Centre is pants on 23:03 - Aug 3 with 2741 viewsSwanzay

Swansea Centre is pants on 22:51 - Aug 3 by jack_lord

The story is, however, only written with attention on English cities.

Further highlights that feck all is being done in swansea, yet voters dont give a shite
Swansea Centre is pants on 23:43 - Aug 3 with 2703 viewsepaul

Got off the train Thursday and walked down the high street right through town to my old man's in the sandfields broke my fukin heart to see the state on the place, bring back the 70's

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Swansea Centre is pants on 07:24 - Aug 4 with 2624 views1jack

Gloucester place has some lovely Georgian houses, wouldn't look out of place in upmarket London.

That's the best I can do I'm afraid.
Swansea Centre is pants on 07:47 - Aug 4 with 2599 viewsGeoffThom

IT was ok in the 60s 70s and most of the 80s anything after that has seen the place trashed by consecutive shit councils with small town attitude and daft road schemes
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Centre is pants on 08:12 - Aug 4 with 2572 viewsowainglyndwr

Agreed it really needs millions pumped in.
Yes Cardiff has loads and still more to come with the new ice rink holding over 3000 and the international pool completed.
Does not help now they have Edwina Heart eating out of the palms of their hands.
Swansea Centre is pants on 09:58 - Aug 4 with 2500 viewsperchrockjack

Perhaps is would like to reply to jaclord as it's ptrtty strong stuff..

Yet another appalled at how councils have fecked the city

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Centre is pants on 11:53 - Aug 4 with 2452 viewsorion3016

With those 5000 students getting housed in a state of the art university and keen to spend their money in the city centre, it's a great time to seriously think about a makeover

Be over there now after

Swansea Centre is pants on 12:28 - Aug 4 with 2412 viewsJackSomething

Swansea Centre is pants on 09:58 - Aug 4 by perchrockjack

Perhaps is would like to reply to jaclord as it's ptrtty strong stuff..

Yet another appalled at how councils have fecked the city

Actually he's asking an interesting question. You've managed to mis-read it to fit with your own opinion on the subject. Well done.

I'm not getting involved as this has been done to death over on the other thread. If you read back through that, I've never denied that councils have been to blame for making bad decisions regarding the city centre. I just try to point out that some peoples suggestions for how to fix the issue (boot the council out!) are overly simplistic for what's a complicated problem.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Swansea Centre is pants on 18:44 - Aug 4 with 2301 viewsjack_lord

I want to know if the restaurant franchises (not that they are that good) are waiting on Swansea to build a super new city centre before they fill out empty premises with their plastic food? Whatever is going on though as has been mentioned that there are thousands of students looking for evenings out and everybody in the greater Swansea area could do with a bit of choice of plastic restaurants that they can use the well earned tesco tokens on.

Swansea Centre is pants on 18:56 - Aug 4 with 2282 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea City centre is an absolute disgrace ......the marina is going the same way.
Thats why I, and many others rarely venture down there these day's.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea Centre is pants on 19:06 - Aug 4 with 2269 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

My Dad used to say only the council could make more of a mess than the Luftwaffe

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Swansea Centre is pants on 21:01 - Aug 4 with 2222 viewscyril

1- the council chose to do away with the green space of the old castle square, and replaced it with around 6,000 tonnes of concrete.
2- The council railroaded through the lovely old David Evans store and replaced it with shops that have been half empty since they were built
3- The council ( against practically anyone that has interest in swansea went against everyone and redeveloped the kings way creating an absolute nightmare driving experience.
4- The council have failed time and time again to put a cpo on the palace theatre, and have allowed it to literally fall into disrepair. Unyet have found 600k on a vanity project at the civic centre chambers.
5- the council continually comes up with millions of pounds every now and again to repair modernise the guildhall, unyet the bulding is less than half empty, they should introduce an office tax, as opposed to the bedroom tax!
6- The council has spent 9.5m pounds on a joke of a boulevard project, whereas rule of thumb on a motorway project is 1m a mile, we managed 9.5m on 800 yards.
7- the old Albert hall is going the same way as the palace, give it another couple of years and it will be.
8- David Phillips the leader of the council crisitsised Neath port talbot for not doing the motorway works to the new uni at night, unyet he didn't insist on this procedure on oyster mouth road which created misery for locals and visitors for 26 weeks,
9- trust me swansea is going backwards so fast that we will be wales 5 th city in the not too distant future, we really do need people business people with vision energy and passion who will do the best for swansea and not for their own political agendas.
10- for Christ sake would one of those overpaid egotistical clowns at the bunker at the seafront look at a tram/ monorail for the foreshore, if they did that then we really would be going places.

The devil is in the detail

Swansea Centre is pants on 22:47 - Aug 4 with 2144 viewscockett_jack

Unfortunately I think the problem is a lot more complex than just blaming the council although they are a significant part of it. The cities that see the best improvement over time are ones that manage to lure enough people to move and that's mostly down to having good universities and developing enough industry so that more disposable income attracts better shops, restaurants etc.

The WAG certainly could help but hey, that's really more of a SE Wales thing. Can we revolt against that establishment?
Swansea Centre is pants on 23:18 - Aug 4 with 2121 viewsDr_Winston

Why bother revamping the city centre?

The internet is kicking the sh*t out of retail in general, so a significantly smaller shopping centre that's easier to keep full would be a wise move. Convert the rest to residential, move all the scumbags out to a purpose built estate somewhere sh*tty and it's problem solved.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea Centre is pants on 23:32 - Aug 4 with 2114 viewsLeonisGod

Swansea Centre is pants on 21:01 - Aug 4 by cyril

1- the council chose to do away with the green space of the old castle square, and replaced it with around 6,000 tonnes of concrete.
2- The council railroaded through the lovely old David Evans store and replaced it with shops that have been half empty since they were built
3- The council ( against practically anyone that has interest in swansea went against everyone and redeveloped the kings way creating an absolute nightmare driving experience.
4- The council have failed time and time again to put a cpo on the palace theatre, and have allowed it to literally fall into disrepair. Unyet have found 600k on a vanity project at the civic centre chambers.
5- the council continually comes up with millions of pounds every now and again to repair modernise the guildhall, unyet the bulding is less than half empty, they should introduce an office tax, as opposed to the bedroom tax!
6- The council has spent 9.5m pounds on a joke of a boulevard project, whereas rule of thumb on a motorway project is 1m a mile, we managed 9.5m on 800 yards.
7- the old Albert hall is going the same way as the palace, give it another couple of years and it will be.
8- David Phillips the leader of the council crisitsised Neath port talbot for not doing the motorway works to the new uni at night, unyet he didn't insist on this procedure on oyster mouth road which created misery for locals and visitors for 26 weeks,
9- trust me swansea is going backwards so fast that we will be wales 5 th city in the not too distant future, we really do need people business people with vision energy and passion who will do the best for swansea and not for their own political agendas.
10- for Christ sake would one of those overpaid egotistical clowns at the bunker at the seafront look at a tram/ monorail for the foreshore, if they did that then we really would be going places.

But apart from that, what have they ever done for us!

10 is a no-brainer from the romantic point of view. I can't ever see it happening, but a major project with EU funding to reinstate a tram line would be a great move.
Swansea Centre is pants on 23:48 - Aug 4 with 2093 viewsskippyjack

Greed.. nobody really gives a f*ck.. they rather catch a train to Cardiff or Bristol and shop.. these are the skilled richer people an all.. instead of spending within the local economy.. they'd rather spend in Cardiff.. these politicians are business people.. it's all about control.. spend in Cardiff.. get people to travel and spend in Cardiff.. more income = control.. Capital you see.. they're in control (doing a awful job may I add).. it might be orders from the higher hierarchy of London.. Capitalism... which leads up to the big smoke.. which leads to No10.. which leads to the EU.. which leads to the NWO.. corruption mate... that's all it is.. corruption

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Swansea Centre is pants on 00:27 - Aug 5 with 2072 viewsGeoffThom

Swansea Centre is pants on 21:01 - Aug 4 by cyril

Good post
Swansea Centre is pants on 10:00 - Aug 5 with 1976 viewsLord_Bony

This is what's killed the future of Swansea city centre.

Hammerson pulling out of the £1 billion scheme that would have revamped,regenerated the city centre and would have put Swansea right up there as the worthy second welsh city choice of destination for shoppers.

It was years in the planning that was bungled by a select group of idiots at the council two years ago. As a result an opportunity like this will not come this way again...not for a long long time at least....as an ex retailer within the city centre I can tell you right now if something is not sorted soon,particularly with traffic and the shopping experience, there will be a major decline over the next few years .

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/hammerson-pulls-out-swansea-

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Swansea Centre is pants on 10:18 - Aug 5 with 1964 viewsperchrockjack

js.
You ve been quick to hammer those who might think the City is on a downbopaund spiral.
Leaving aside comments regarding old major northern cities and suggestions or observations .
Ive read a comment from a poster on facebook who 0 returned home and he s pretty upset I can tell you-oh and he moved away from home too.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Centre is pants on 10:57 - Aug 5 with 1936 viewsJackSomething

Swansea Centre is pants on 10:18 - Aug 5 by perchrockjack

js.
You ve been quick to hammer those who might think the City is on a downbopaund spiral.
Leaving aside comments regarding old major northern cities and suggestions or observations .
Ive read a comment from a poster on facebook who 0 returned home and he s pretty upset I can tell you-oh and he moved away from home too.

No, I'm quick to hammer those who think this is a simple problem or who gets things wrong.

Cyril made some good points above, but he also says the council has wasted £9m on the Boulevard project. That money had to be spent where it has been spent, as it was given to us for that specific purpose. It was meant to be the first stage of an impressive scheme, but that is on hold due to the economic climate.

I don't see how anyone can criticise Castle Square. The old gardens were dingy and dangerous, being barely used by anyone other than druggies and drunks. It's a shame to lose the green space, but at least it's an attractive and useful space now. It's being used for outdoor cinema this summer for example.

What complaints like yours ignore is that the city centre has been pants for years and years. If someone who hasn't been here for years comes for a visit and takes the time to explore, there's no way they can say the overall situation hasn't improved. Unless they're blinkered by inaccurate memories of the past of course.

Does it need significant investment? Of course it does. But don't pretend that it was some kind of utopia in years gone by.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Swansea Centre is pants on 11:25 - Aug 5 with 1909 viewsYrAlarch

This has been a really interesting post. I am not a resident but I think the Council must take the major part of the blame. It is a sad fact that my missus and I, who only live 8 miles from the City Centre prefer to shop (well she shops) in Cardiff. However, if you want to see a prime example of disastrous town planning and a Council with no sense of history then come to Port Talbot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024