Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. 22:19 - Dec 21 with 2452 viewsDavillin

Walter Payton was one of the NFL's best football players. He'd be in any knowledgeable fan's "All-Time Best XI." He was called "Sweetness" because of the way he played the game.

A good friend of his told this to a pundit a few days ago. He went to see Payton when he was close to death and knew it. He asked Payton how he was doing, and Payton said, "I'm scared. I've never died before" [that might not be a direct quote, but it's what his friend reported].

It immediately choked me up. This came from a man who had spent his life facing not only physical challenges on and off the field, but all kinds, and was now facing the unknown with courage.

I've spent much of my life remembering him cutting and slashing through monster defenders, but now I'll remember him for saying that.

I mean this more than I ever have: Rest in Peace, Walter. And thanks for the memories.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 22:26 - Dec 21 with 2439 viewsPhil_S

Remember watching him on TV many times when the game first hit the screens here - fantastic player and sadly missed
Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 22:32 - Dec 21 with 2428 viewsLord_Bony

Dav,there is life after death...let there be no doubt..

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 00:35 - Dec 22 with 2384 viewsDavillin

I'm pretty sure it was Marcus Aurelius Antonius who said [this is my memory in paraphrase] that either there is life after death or there is not. If there is not, you won't know anything about it. If there is, then you will be part of it.

Either way, there's no cause to worry about it.

I'm not 100% sure I agree with him.

My sister is a devout Christian, and a deep thinker. She believes that she won't have or want any memories about her life here because her life after her death will be so much better.

I'm not 100% sure I agree with her, but it brings her peace.

I haven't come to any conclusion about it.

The U.S. Social Security actuarial table says I have 8.66 years to go, and they really care about that because it indicates when they'll go broke. There are far too many things that can happen in the meantime, so I give it no currency. Forced to give my opinion, I say "bazookas."

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 04:44 - Dec 22 with 2347 viewsTummer_from_Texas

The friend was Eric Dickerson. Kind of a jackass himself, but still a cool story.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 07:49 - Dec 22 with 2303 viewsdickythorpe

Wasn't too scared to take all that gear and growth hormone in lining his pockets after WWF came calling though.
That's what probably did for him.
Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 10:56 - Dec 22 with 2267 viewsHighjack

I can't think of anything more depressing than existing for eternity. I hope when I die that's it. I doubt God/Allah/Trundle would have me anyway after some of the things I've done.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 19:52 - Dec 22 with 2217 viewsDavillin

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 07:49 - Dec 22 by dickythorpe

Wasn't too scared to take all that gear and growth hormone in lining his pockets after WWF came calling though.

You are indisputably Planet Swans' "Limbo" champion.

["How low can you go?" ]

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 20:06 - Dec 22 with 2203 viewsKulusBeatFactory

Never had u down as 79 Dav - ur sharp insightful wit and intelligence puts most on here to shame

Long may it continue

(unless of course ur female and you'll be almost 81)
Login to get fewer ads

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 20:54 - Dec 22 with 2164 viewsblueytheblue

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 07:49 - Dec 22 by dickythorpe

You mean the one match here he was stood outside the ring?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 22:36 - Dec 22 with 2131 viewsDavillin

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 20:06 - Dec 22 by KulusBeatFactory

Never had u down as 79 Dav - ur sharp insightful wit and intelligence puts most on here to shame

Long may it continue

(unless of course ur female and you'll be almost 81)

79, thanks.

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 22:38 - Dec 22 with 2129 viewsDavillin

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 20:54 - Dec 22 by blueytheblue

You mean the one match here he was stood outside the ring?

Thanks. I don't get into pissing matches.

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 22:56 - Dec 22 with 2104 viewsblueytheblue

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 22:38 - Dec 22 by Davillin

Thanks. I don't get into pissing matches.

Well, as a Cardiff fan, wouldn't be a normal day without a pissing match of some kind.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Walter on 23:31 - Dec 22 with 2077 viewsJacketJack

Long time lurker first time poster. I had to chime in on this post to relate my encounter with Walter. Davillin you may recall Walter dabbled in auto racing post NFL. I was with my three sons walking around the paddock area of Mid Ohio race track when the door of an RV opened to reveal Sweetness. I quickly got my kids over to him as I gushed on about how great a player he was to them. Walter immediately bent over and picked up my youngest, 4 year old Sam. He started walking towards the pits carrying Sam as he asked about us, never a word about himself. As we arrived at his car he announced it was time to go to work and climbed in. "Wish me luck" he said as he closed his visor. My boys and I will never forget that moment.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2015 23:33]
Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 09:43 - Dec 23 with 2022 viewsdickythorpe

Walter "Sweetness" Payton's thought-provoking answer. on 19:52 - Dec 22 by Davillin

You are indisputably Planet Swans' "Limbo" champion.

["How low can you go?" ]

Oh so I cant have an opinion then Dav?

Merry Xmas anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024