Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quadrant 09:45 - Feb 10 with 1204 viewsbritferry

Dorothy Perkins closing now... when you think about the centre of the Q, thats Debenhams, Clarkes and DP stores all shutting... quite literally ripped the heart out of the place

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/first-debenhams-now-swanseas-qua

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Quadrant on 10:24 - Feb 10 with 1168 viewsScotia

Animal has gone too, I can't see TUI opening this year which may well see the end of those, upstairs in boots is empty and HMV are shutting shops and struggling financially.

It's not looking good.
Quadrant on 10:36 - Feb 10 with 1149 viewsProfessor

Quadrant on 10:24 - Feb 10 by Scotia

Animal has gone too, I can't see TUI opening this year which may well see the end of those, upstairs in boots is empty and HMV are shutting shops and struggling financially.

It's not looking good.

The day of the town or city centre mall has gone in all but big flagship cities. Even wealthy Chester is on its arse in terms of empty shops in its malls. Swansea needs to just get rid of it and look towards mixed leisure and retail-build a nice square with shops and cafes. I'm sure there is plenty of space to relocate those that remain.
Quadrant on 10:37 - Feb 10 with 1145 viewsraynor94

Plus, just outside Topshop has gone

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Quadrant on 11:00 - Feb 10 with 1133 viewsNeath_Jack

Because our shopping habits have changed, driven by the need for ever cheaper goods and the convenience of not leaving your home.

City retail is done and dusted for the most part now.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Quadrant on 11:12 - Feb 10 with 1112 viewsonehunglow

Quadrant on 11:00 - Feb 10 by Neath_Jack

Because our shopping habits have changed, driven by the need for ever cheaper goods and the convenience of not leaving your home.

City retail is done and dusted for the most part now.

Yep.Possibly the biggest social change in my lifetime.The towns we knew will be unrecognizable soon as our shopping habits have changed. City breaks will surely be less attractive.With holidays abroad buggered,I feel like a Leonard Cohen morning is coming on.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Quadrant on 11:17 - Feb 10 with 1116 viewsDr_Winston

It's a touch ironic that for years the big chains have been accused of bullying smaller, more boutique local stores out of business, and now online retail is doing exactly the same thing to them. Meanwhile smaller, more boutique local stores are making a bit of a comeback in certain areas as people look for an experience they can't get online.

It's something a lot of industries go through as technologies and times change. Hard on the people working in them, but inevitable in a lot of ways.

It's massively important that Swansea Council understands what is happening and doesn't make the same mistakes a lot of places did by betting the house on new retail developments. Prof is right. Mixed leisure, residential with a smaller retail hub will be the way to go.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Quadrant on 11:48 - Feb 10 with 1096 viewsProfessor

Quadrant on 11:17 - Feb 10 by Dr_Winston

It's a touch ironic that for years the big chains have been accused of bullying smaller, more boutique local stores out of business, and now online retail is doing exactly the same thing to them. Meanwhile smaller, more boutique local stores are making a bit of a comeback in certain areas as people look for an experience they can't get online.

It's something a lot of industries go through as technologies and times change. Hard on the people working in them, but inevitable in a lot of ways.

It's massively important that Swansea Council understands what is happening and doesn't make the same mistakes a lot of places did by betting the house on new retail developments. Prof is right. Mixed leisure, residential with a smaller retail hub will be the way to go.

Oddly Dr W-it's what Liverpool did on a large scale. Rather than a mega mall, the Liverpool One development went for the mix. Debenhams going will be a blow there too, but the way retail and restaurants all flow to the waterfront, which opened up with Chavasse Park. I just works well-the same flow could be done with the Marina and Arena flowing across (apart from sodding Tesco) into the city-and across to Morgan's and the bottom of Wind Street. Elevate the market (which is a massive plus-it's great). When I was down last year I found the Quadrant outdated and dreadful, but the rest of the centre showing real promise. Connecting to the seafront and marina would really help
Quadrant on 12:01 - Feb 10 with 1089 viewsDr_Winston

Quadrant on 11:48 - Feb 10 by Professor

Oddly Dr W-it's what Liverpool did on a large scale. Rather than a mega mall, the Liverpool One development went for the mix. Debenhams going will be a blow there too, but the way retail and restaurants all flow to the waterfront, which opened up with Chavasse Park. I just works well-the same flow could be done with the Marina and Arena flowing across (apart from sodding Tesco) into the city-and across to Morgan's and the bottom of Wind Street. Elevate the market (which is a massive plus-it's great). When I was down last year I found the Quadrant outdated and dreadful, but the rest of the centre showing real promise. Connecting to the seafront and marina would really help

Have said for years that what really needs to happen is for Oystermouth Road to be tunnel, or even just underpassed as much as possible between around the bottom of Wind St to the other side of the prison. You won't be able to get rid of it completely, but it'll no longer be a great big barrier between the city centre and the beach. To be fair to them they have recognised that with the new bridge linking the arena with the rest, but it's only one bridge.

I'm just glad that we don't have any hugely expensive, recently developed major shopping centres because in about 30 years time a lot of them will be empty.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 12:03]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Quadrant on 12:07 - Feb 10 with 1084 viewsCatullus

Quadrant on 10:36 - Feb 10 by Professor

The day of the town or city centre mall has gone in all but big flagship cities. Even wealthy Chester is on its arse in terms of empty shops in its malls. Swansea needs to just get rid of it and look towards mixed leisure and retail-build a nice square with shops and cafes. I'm sure there is plenty of space to relocate those that remain.

I 100% agree Prof. Now is the time for some imagination, time to reinvent the Quadrant as something fit for the future.

Shopping centres had their day, online has taken over and the pandemic has quickened up that process.We could spend all day moaning about it or we could look at the next steps.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Quadrant on 12:12 - Feb 10 with 1083 viewsBoundy

Quadrant on 12:01 - Feb 10 by Dr_Winston

Have said for years that what really needs to happen is for Oystermouth Road to be tunnel, or even just underpassed as much as possible between around the bottom of Wind St to the other side of the prison. You won't be able to get rid of it completely, but it'll no longer be a great big barrier between the city centre and the beach. To be fair to them they have recognised that with the new bridge linking the arena with the rest, but it's only one bridge.

I'm just glad that we don't have any hugely expensive, recently developed major shopping centres because in about 30 years time a lot of them will be empty.

I know its only small in the scheme of things but there's a private enterprise ongoing into installing a new version of the Slip bridge with a target date of last July but that's obviously slipped ( no pun intended) . Regarding retail that's where Cardiff may come a cropper although knowing how much the assembly have invested in their project I doubt it'll be a noticed for long

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Quadrant on 12:41 - Feb 10 with 1048 viewsCatullus

Now there's a thought, build a tunnel over the road and make the land above a green space. Obviously you'd need fans and air filters for the tunnel but a big green space between LC2 and the town centre, does that sound good ?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Quadrant on 14:16 - Feb 10 with 985 viewsProfessor

Crossing The Strand in Liverpool is OK, as the system in well designed and with wide pavements and so open it's not at issue. Oystermouth Road always feels a bit enclosed by comparison. But to properly link waterfront to the centre is vital and something the planners got right in Liverpool. The improvements around the Station (which was very seedy) and the area around St George's Hall (the plateau) are getting sorted to allow more public events and outdoor markets etc.

Although sad that retail is being lost, it's also an opportunity to make the City centre a more desirable place to visit. I honestly cannot imagine going for a 'days' shopping anywhere again-more a quick visit when you really need to see something (like furniture) with a meal, cinema or theatre. A destination. When added to the coastline there is no reason why Swansea should not be a great centre for short breaks or a day out. That beach and bay has far more to offer than rivals to the east.
Quadrant on 14:40 - Feb 10 with 973 viewscontroversial_jack

Quadrant on 14:16 - Feb 10 by Professor

Crossing The Strand in Liverpool is OK, as the system in well designed and with wide pavements and so open it's not at issue. Oystermouth Road always feels a bit enclosed by comparison. But to properly link waterfront to the centre is vital and something the planners got right in Liverpool. The improvements around the Station (which was very seedy) and the area around St George's Hall (the plateau) are getting sorted to allow more public events and outdoor markets etc.

Although sad that retail is being lost, it's also an opportunity to make the City centre a more desirable place to visit. I honestly cannot imagine going for a 'days' shopping anywhere again-more a quick visit when you really need to see something (like furniture) with a meal, cinema or theatre. A destination. When added to the coastline there is no reason why Swansea should not be a great centre for short breaks or a day out. That beach and bay has far more to offer than rivals to the east.

These are good and valued points, however I believe people still enjoy a day out browsing through the shops. When it comes to clothes, there is no substitute for trying on items to see if they fit or match etc.

Going for a meal or a drink is great, but that doesn't take all day, and you can't drink and drive , if you can find a parking spot, however I can't imagine spending an entire day shopping in Swansea, whereas in that city to the east it's entirely possible to do just that
Quadrant on 14:50 - Feb 10 with 965 viewsWhiterockin

Quadrant on 14:40 - Feb 10 by controversial_jack

These are good and valued points, however I believe people still enjoy a day out browsing through the shops. When it comes to clothes, there is no substitute for trying on items to see if they fit or match etc.

Going for a meal or a drink is great, but that doesn't take all day, and you can't drink and drive , if you can find a parking spot, however I can't imagine spending an entire day shopping in Swansea, whereas in that city to the east it's entirely possible to do just that

I agree people will still enjoy the shopping experience. The council should take control of the Quadrant and turn it into small independent units suitable for boutiques, shoe shops, delicatessens, interior design, art gallery's, confectionery manufacturers ect in short small specialty shops. I believe this sort of development next to the bus station and the new arena parking, could breath a new life into the city centre.
Quadrant on 18:29 - Feb 11 with 772 viewsCatullus

Quadrant on 14:50 - Feb 10 by Whiterockin

I agree people will still enjoy the shopping experience. The council should take control of the Quadrant and turn it into small independent units suitable for boutiques, shoe shops, delicatessens, interior design, art gallery's, confectionery manufacturers ect in short small specialty shops. I believe this sort of development next to the bus station and the new arena parking, could breath a new life into the city centre.

Then turn Oxford, street well that whole pedestrianised area, into the cafe quarter? Leave Wind Street for thee kids and p$$heads

Quadrant on 20:24 - Feb 11 with 724 viewsKilkennyjack

If only we had some sort of train linking Swansea with Mumbles along the glory that is Swansea Bay.

Be quite handy and reduce traffic on Mumbles Road as well.

Beware of the Risen People

Quadrant on 20:41 - Feb 11 with 713 viewsDr_Winston

Stockton seem to be ahead of the game. Smart move.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/feb/11/is-this-the-future-for-brit

Quadrant on 06:23 - Feb 12 with 619 viewsWhiterockin

Quadrant on 20:24 - Feb 11 by Kilkennyjack

If only we had some sort of train linking Swansea with Mumbles along the glory that is Swansea Bay.

Be quite handy and reduce traffic on Mumbles Road as well.

You would think that somebody would have thought of that 200 years ago.
Quadrant on 11:45 - Feb 12 with 548 viewsCatullus

Quadrant on 06:23 - Feb 12 by Whiterockin

You would think that somebody would have thought of that 200 years ago.

If they had some idiot would have thought it a good idea to dismantle it!

Swansea council really need to look into putting it back. An electric tram across the sweep of the bay would be magnificent and would be a tourist attraction. Then they need to get the road by the golf/footgolf course put underground too and have a massive green area with picnic areas, a viewing tower, y'know visitor attractions.

Just my opinion.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024