Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Small Modular Reactors 10:40 - Nov 10 with 640 viewsCatullus

Each one can power up to 1 million homes and 2 might be coming to Wales.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-sites-considered-possible-lo

Wherever they are built they should be nationalised and any profit should go towards keeping our other taxes down. Either that or run them as not for profit to save every household money, either way would surely be popular. We aren't in the EU anymore and given it looks very much like we are heading for a break from the current agreement too, nationalise and be damned!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Small Modular Reactors on 14:21 - Nov 10 with 590 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Security is going to be a big issue too. But yes nationalize them - it hasn’t harmed the French has it (in a considerably better situation for energy security than we are. Ten years more of privateering has cost us massively.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Small Modular Reactors on 14:40 - Nov 10 with 581 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Small Modular Reactors on 14:21 - Nov 10 by Brynmill_Jack

Security is going to be a big issue too. But yes nationalize them - it hasn’t harmed the French has it (in a considerably better situation for energy security than we are. Ten years more of privateering has cost us massively.

I think I would rather let UK company Rolls-Royce build them securing jobs in the UK and a possible export market. Nationalised companies are always badly run and the workers overpaid for doing little. TFL underground train drivers, currently paid £80,000 pa, have voted for strike action despite the government bailing them out during the pandemic.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Small Modular Reactors on 15:09 - Nov 10 with 570 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I just need you to accept MSRs as well as SMRs now and you can forget about anymore of those non baseload intermittent renewables.

Of course SMRs will need subsidies to compete with the subsidised Wind & Solar, or get rid of al subsidies and make it a level playing field.
Small Modular Reactors on 15:43 - Nov 10 with 557 viewsCatullus

Small Modular Reactors on 15:09 - Nov 10 by A_Fans_Dad

I just need you to accept MSRs as well as SMRs now and you can forget about anymore of those non baseload intermittent renewables.

Of course SMRs will need subsidies to compete with the subsidised Wind & Solar, or get rid of al subsidies and make it a level playing field.

Only two MSR's have ever operated and both purely for research. If they are viable and safe then yes, why not.

Thing is AFD, when we talk about costs, about subsidies, there wouldn't be any subsidies if they were all nationalised. No need for masses of profit and any that is made can go into research, keeping bills or taxes down, or any combination of that.

The thing about the SMR's is, they can supply about one million households so we'd need about 35-40 of them across the UK. 30 would do right now but we'd have to account for growth. But 35-40 doesn't sound viable, it's too many, where do we put them all? Alot of people wouldn't want a reactor of any sort on their doorstep.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Small Modular Reactors on 16:08 - Nov 10 with 542 viewsjack_lord

Small Modular Reactors on 14:40 - Nov 10 by felixstowe_jack

I think I would rather let UK company Rolls-Royce build them securing jobs in the UK and a possible export market. Nationalised companies are always badly run and the workers overpaid for doing little. TFL underground train drivers, currently paid £80,000 pa, have voted for strike action despite the government bailing them out during the pandemic.

Fact check.

Underground driver Following a Freedom of Information (FOI) request made by MyLondon to Transport for London in early 2021, the annual wage of a full-time Tube driver was revealed as £56,496. This was based on the financial year from April 1, 2019, to March 31, 2020, with 3,271 drivers said to earn this amount, not including bonuses.

Obviously there is some historical truth in your generalisation that Nationalised companies are always badly run and the workers overpaid for doing little but the world has moved on from public bashing. I worked for the water authority in the mid 80's and it was a long hard day and most of my mates in private sector jobs earned more.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Small Modular Reactors on 16:20 - Nov 10 with 538 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Nuclear is an absolute no brainer. But those people who put the mental in environmentalist hate the idea of a nuclear future despite it being carbon free.
Small Modular Reactors on 16:50 - Nov 10 with 525 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Small Modular Reactors on 15:43 - Nov 10 by Catullus

Only two MSR's have ever operated and both purely for research. If they are viable and safe then yes, why not.

Thing is AFD, when we talk about costs, about subsidies, there wouldn't be any subsidies if they were all nationalised. No need for masses of profit and any that is made can go into research, keeping bills or taxes down, or any combination of that.

The thing about the SMR's is, they can supply about one million households so we'd need about 35-40 of them across the UK. 30 would do right now but we'd have to account for growth. But 35-40 doesn't sound viable, it's too many, where do we put them all? Alot of people wouldn't want a reactor of any sort on their doorstep.

That is where the Modular comes in to play.
Assmbly line type production, standardisation of parts to keep cost low and speed up.
Add them in groups instead of large reactors or singles & pairs for powering indiviual cities or large Industrial complexes.
They will have fail-safe technology, so no meltdowns.
Rolls Royce have years of experience with small reactors.

As to MSRs, the original ran for years, but was was overlooked because it didn't produce weapons grade plutonium.
There are 2 companies in the US designing and progressing them.
Their massive advantage is that they can burn nuclear waste, reducing it's half life.
There is a very good write up here.
https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/current-and-future-generation/molt
Small Modular Reactors on 17:09 - Nov 10 with 520 viewsProfessor

Small Modular Reactors on 16:50 - Nov 10 by A_Fans_Dad

That is where the Modular comes in to play.
Assmbly line type production, standardisation of parts to keep cost low and speed up.
Add them in groups instead of large reactors or singles & pairs for powering indiviual cities or large Industrial complexes.
They will have fail-safe technology, so no meltdowns.
Rolls Royce have years of experience with small reactors.

As to MSRs, the original ran for years, but was was overlooked because it didn't produce weapons grade plutonium.
There are 2 companies in the US designing and progressing them.
Their massive advantage is that they can burn nuclear waste, reducing it's half life.
There is a very good write up here.
https://world-nuclear.org/information-library/current-and-future-generation/molt

I guess RR have experience with submarine reactors?

With appropriate safety controls and a real plan for waste, these should be welcomed.

Smaller size may help with the former I guess.
Login to get fewer ads

Small Modular Reactors on 18:59 - Nov 10 with 503 viewsCatullus

Small Modular Reactors on 16:08 - Nov 10 by jack_lord

Fact check.

Underground driver Following a Freedom of Information (FOI) request made by MyLondon to Transport for London in early 2021, the annual wage of a full-time Tube driver was revealed as £56,496. This was based on the financial year from April 1, 2019, to March 31, 2020, with 3,271 drivers said to earn this amount, not including bonuses.

Obviously there is some historical truth in your generalisation that Nationalised companies are always badly run and the workers overpaid for doing little but the world has moved on from public bashing. I worked for the water authority in the mid 80's and it was a long hard day and most of my mates in private sector jobs earned more.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tube-driver-salary-holidays-working-condition

Some drivers did earn 80k and more but not many.

His point about being badly run, that was when the unions held a lot of power, those days are gone. We need a nationalised utility sector that is fairly run, efficiently run and run for the country's benefit, not the benefit of a small group of rich people, shareholders and board members.

Small Modular Reactors on 21:31 - Nov 10 with 474 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Small Modular Reactors on 14:40 - Nov 10 by felixstowe_jack

That’s a ridiculous stance to take over energy - we are being held hostage by the Russians now. They could charge us double to triple for our gas. Energy security is an imperative - even if workers are “slacking off” lol .

Have you driven on the underground? You shouldn’t judge a man unless you walk a day in his shoes.
They could be on annualized hrs which includes a certain amount of overtime/shift allowances. The going rate for someone driving for transport for Wales on the Swansea to Milford line is 55k a year - think about the extra weighting for London as well.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Small Modular Reactors on 07:19 - Nov 11 with 442 viewsDr_Winston

Small Modular Reactors on 21:31 - Nov 10 by Brynmill_Jack

That’s a ridiculous stance to take over energy - we are being held hostage by the Russians now. They could charge us double to triple for our gas. Energy security is an imperative - even if workers are “slacking off” lol .

Have you driven on the underground? You shouldn’t judge a man unless you walk a day in his shoes.
They could be on annualized hrs which includes a certain amount of overtime/shift allowances. The going rate for someone driving for transport for Wales on the Swansea to Milford line is 55k a year - think about the extra weighting for London as well.

Most tube drivers don't drive on the Underground now. The system is largely automated. They're still there because TfL isn't ready for the fight it'll take to remove them.

I've no problem with utilities being publically owned but they shouldn't be publically run. They should be run as if they were private companies, with all that entails. Run to make a profit, which can be returned to the Treasury or reinvested.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Small Modular Reactors on 07:24 - Nov 11 with 440 viewsDr_Winston

Small Modular Reactors on 18:59 - Nov 10 by Catullus

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tube-driver-salary-holidays-working-condition

Some drivers did earn 80k and more but not many.

His point about being badly run, that was when the unions held a lot of power, those days are gone. We need a nationalised utility sector that is fairly run, efficiently run and run for the country's benefit, not the benefit of a small group of rich people, shareholders and board members.

People see the word "shareholders" and automatically assume wealthy investors lighting cigars with £20 notes.

During the furore about British Gas profits when that first started making waves and generating howls of complaints about apparent fatcats, nobody bothered to notice that at the time one of the largest single shareholders of BG was its own workers pension fund.

Anyone with a private pension is ultimately a shareholder somewhere down the line. They should want these companies to make good profits.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Small Modular Reactors on 07:26 - Nov 11 with 438 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Small Modular Reactors on 21:31 - Nov 10 by Brynmill_Jack

On three lines on the Underground the driver does not even drive the trains they are automatic. The driver just sits in the cab. The only thing he does is open and closes the doors. He still gets paid over £80,000.

A TFL bus driver gets £28,000 pa for a far harder job than a London underground train driver.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Small Modular Reactors on 09:03 - Nov 11 with 417 viewsjack_lord

Small Modular Reactors on 07:26 - Nov 11 by felixstowe_jack

On three lines on the Underground the driver does not even drive the trains they are automatic. The driver just sits in the cab. The only thing he does is open and closes the doors. He still gets paid over £80,000.

A TFL bus driver gets £28,000 pa for a far harder job than a London underground train driver.

We have established that only a few drivers earn circa 80K and the majority earn far less. I would agree that the bus driver has a far harder job but that is my perception. I would think that a constable works far harder than a sergeant who works harder than a chief inspector etc; but they are my perceptions.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Small Modular Reactors on 09:52 - Nov 11 with 405 viewsCatullus

Small Modular Reactors on 07:24 - Nov 11 by Dr_Winston

People see the word "shareholders" and automatically assume wealthy investors lighting cigars with £20 notes.

During the furore about British Gas profits when that first started making waves and generating howls of complaints about apparent fatcats, nobody bothered to notice that at the time one of the largest single shareholders of BG was its own workers pension fund.

Anyone with a private pension is ultimately a shareholder somewhere down the line. They should want these companies to make good profits.

The pensions thing is a double edged sword. For your pension to be better you need the company to make a profit, for them to do that you will end up paying higher bills. It hardly makes you much better off and those higher bills will remain when you retire and your income drops.

There are always two sides to any story.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024