Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday Job 08:33 - Aug 16 with 2321 viewsonehunglow

In 1998 ,48% of teens had Saturday jobs
Now ,it’s 24%
Half.
Why is that ?

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

0
Saturday Job on 08:43 - Aug 16 with 1706 viewsScotia

I have said similar on here previously, I have no I idea why the running of the Swansea.com on a match day is pretty much reliant on foreign students and contractors.

I know a few stewards in most cases it's a £60 (plus holiday pay) to hang around a couple of hours before the game, show people to their seats, tell them to stop vaping and watch the football. Similar for turnstile operators and catering staff.

There's a rolling recruitment campaign because they can't fill the posts.

https://www.swanseacity.com/ne
0
Saturday Job on 08:43 - Aug 16 with 1706 viewsWhiterockin

Sunday opening?
0
Saturday Job on 08:46 - Aug 16 with 1695 viewsKeithHaynes

Molly coddled by mummy, or too stupid, lazy, criminality, drugs, alcohol.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Would you like to appear here as a Welsh football writer?

0
Saturday Job on 08:47 - Aug 16 with 1691 viewsonehunglow

Saturday Job on 08:43 - Aug 16 by Whiterockin

Sunday opening?


Ok then,weekend jobs
They have more opportunity to earn some money to save up for “ stuff”
Save….thats the rub .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

0
Saturday Job on 08:51 - Aug 16 with 1671 viewsWhiterockin

Saturday Job on 08:46 - Aug 16 by KeithHaynes

Molly coddled by mummy, or too stupid, lazy, criminality, drugs, alcohol.


Is exactly the point, if parents stopped spoiling their kids and they had to work for the nice things in life more would get the habit of working.
0
Saturday Job on 08:53 - Aug 16 with 1665 viewsonehunglow

Saturday Job on 08:46 - Aug 16 by KeithHaynes

Molly coddled by mummy, or too stupid, lazy, criminality, drugs, alcohol.


I couldn’t have got away with that .
You’re making gender assumptions there


I’m out down the beach . I” ll get my bathers

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

0
Saturday Job on 09:50 - Aug 16 with 1639 viewsGwyn737

A few off the top of my head:

1. School leaving age raised to 18 so many more still studying
2. Rise of gig economy so employers save money with flexible 0 hours type contracts
3. Fear of health and safety regs or paying cash in hand
4. Parents more worried about kids getting too and from work

Im sure there are some down to negative reasons but just doing my usual bit before another thread decends into an “aren’t all young people awful” spiral 😉
2
Saturday Job on 10:00 - Aug 16 with 1630 viewsWhiterockin

Saturday Job on 09:50 - Aug 16 by Gwyn737

A few off the top of my head:

1. School leaving age raised to 18 so many more still studying
2. Rise of gig economy so employers save money with flexible 0 hours type contracts
3. Fear of health and safety regs or paying cash in hand
4. Parents more worried about kids getting too and from work

Im sure there are some down to negative reasons but just doing my usual bit before another thread decends into an “aren’t all young people awful” spiral 😉


Gwyn, I'm not saying the kids are awful, but the parents are just spoiling them. How much of it is the parents are spending a lot of time working and try and spoil their children because of the lack of time they spend with them, a sort of guilt trade off. Take a step back, if you didn't spoil the children so much you could work less and spend more time with them, or send them out for a part time job.
0
Login to get fewer ads

Saturday Job on 10:05 - Aug 16 with 1623 viewsGwyn737

Saturday Job on 10:00 - Aug 16 by Whiterockin

Gwyn, I'm not saying the kids are awful, but the parents are just spoiling them. How much of it is the parents are spending a lot of time working and try and spoil their children because of the lack of time they spend with them, a sort of guilt trade off. Take a step back, if you didn't spoil the children so much you could work less and spend more time with them, or send them out for a part time job.


There’s definitely some of that but many are forced into it as they need the money.

I don’t have the figures but I wonder how many more examples of both parents working since 1998.
0
Saturday Job on 10:14 - Aug 16 with 1613 viewsWhiterockin

Saturday Job on 10:05 - Aug 16 by Gwyn737

There’s definitely some of that but many are forced into it as they need the money.

I don’t have the figures but I wonder how many more examples of both parents working since 1998.


Maybe the second job by parents is reducing the job availability for children.
0
Saturday Job on 10:18 - Aug 16 with 1605 viewsGwyn737

Saturday Job on 10:14 - Aug 16 by Whiterockin

Maybe the second job by parents is reducing the job availability for children.


Definitely.

But I’m sure in many cases it’s a necessity.
0
Saturday Job on 10:26 - Aug 16 with 1603 viewsAnotherJohn

Difficult one, although I agree that part-time work wouldn't hurt at the right time. I myself did a paper round right though from age 14 to when I was in the sixth form, and at one stage even had a separate Sunday round as well. This served me well, as when I became a university student I was able to get a job with the Post Office in the Xmas vacations since I already knew the "walks". However, when my son was in the sixth form I discouraged him from seeking part-time work as it seemed to me the STEM A levels he was taking needed his full attention. He is coming into Year 4 of the M.Eng now and I have taken the same line as failure would render useless the considerable investment in fees and living support I've put in, which far exceeds what he would be likely to earn.
0
Saturday Job on 10:30 - Aug 16 with 1591 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

They aren’t joining the agencies.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

0
Saturday Job on 10:34 - Aug 16 with 1582 viewsonehunglow

Saturday Job on 10:30 - Aug 16 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

They aren’t joining the agencies.


I employed several Saturday kids.
They enjoyed it mainly as it was an introduction into adult working lives .
Many got full time jobs out of it
I worked in the family business on Saturday to basically pay for my fancy pants and flowered shirts
[Post edited 16 Aug 2024 10:35]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

0
Saturday Job on 11:29 - Aug 16 with 1515 viewsGwyn737

Saturday Job on 10:26 - Aug 16 by AnotherJohn

Difficult one, although I agree that part-time work wouldn't hurt at the right time. I myself did a paper round right though from age 14 to when I was in the sixth form, and at one stage even had a separate Sunday round as well. This served me well, as when I became a university student I was able to get a job with the Post Office in the Xmas vacations since I already knew the "walks". However, when my son was in the sixth form I discouraged him from seeking part-time work as it seemed to me the STEM A levels he was taking needed his full attention. He is coming into Year 4 of the M.Eng now and I have taken the same line as failure would render useless the considerable investment in fees and living support I've put in, which far exceeds what he would be likely to earn.


Similar for me but mine’s a bit younger.

Also he’s keen on sport but a weekend job means he wouldn’t be able to play.

I’d rather give him pocket money based on schoolwork and jobs around the house.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2024 11:38]
0
Saturday Job on 16:09 - Aug 16 with 1392 viewsSullutaCreturned

Saturday Job on 09:50 - Aug 16 by Gwyn737

A few off the top of my head:

1. School leaving age raised to 18 so many more still studying
2. Rise of gig economy so employers save money with flexible 0 hours type contracts
3. Fear of health and safety regs or paying cash in hand
4. Parents more worried about kids getting too and from work

Im sure there are some down to negative reasons but just doing my usual bit before another thread decends into an “aren’t all young people awful” spiral 😉


Well whle there are clearly reasons why I'll stand up for 2 young people, my son and his girlfriend.

Both are 15 and bith are looking for part time jobs/weekend jobs.

I suffered from an extended bout f ill health and didn't work for over 5 years. As soon as my health was restored I started looking for work and not only for the money. We both wanted to set a good eample for our son, it looks like we succeeded.

He wants "stuff" and while we do spoil him we also tell him if he wants more he has to work for it.

I'm sure there are plenty of lazy, feckless parents who have churned out sinilar kids who think other people should pay for their stuff. I'm also sure a lot go onto further education. The drop is quite large but the real question is, how do we reverse the trend?
0
Saturday Job on 17:20 - Aug 16 with 1350 viewsGwyn737

Saturday Job on 16:09 - Aug 16 by SullutaCreturned

Well whle there are clearly reasons why I'll stand up for 2 young people, my son and his girlfriend.

Both are 15 and bith are looking for part time jobs/weekend jobs.

I suffered from an extended bout f ill health and didn't work for over 5 years. As soon as my health was restored I started looking for work and not only for the money. We both wanted to set a good eample for our son, it looks like we succeeded.

He wants "stuff" and while we do spoil him we also tell him if he wants more he has to work for it.

I'm sure there are plenty of lazy, feckless parents who have churned out sinilar kids who think other people should pay for their stuff. I'm also sure a lot go onto further education. The drop is quite large but the real question is, how do we reverse the trend?


Is the search difficult, Cat?
0
Saturday Job on 17:39 - Aug 16 with 1337 viewsScotia

Saturday Job on 17:20 - Aug 16 by Gwyn737

Is the search difficult, Cat?


At the age of 15 I bet it is difficult. Paper and milk rounds don't really exist anymore and there won;t be much else open to them.

Once at 16 it should be easier - but the minimum wage for that group is under £7 an hour until they are 18. That needs to increase.
0
Saturday Job on 17:50 - Aug 16 with 1329 viewsGwyn737

Saturday Job on 17:39 - Aug 16 by Scotia

At the age of 15 I bet it is difficult. Paper and milk rounds don't really exist anymore and there won;t be much else open to them.

Once at 16 it should be easier - but the minimum wage for that group is under £7 an hour until they are 18. That needs to increase.


Good addition to my earlier list 👍
0
Saturday Job on 17:50 - Aug 16 with 1329 viewsBoundy

Looking at the recent events I'd say too busy rioting and looting .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

0
Saturday Job on 17:54 - Aug 16 with 1328 viewshobo

Less jobs due to the hiring of cheaper workers from abroad
0
Saturday Job on 17:54 - Aug 16 with 1327 viewshobo

Saturday Job on 17:54 - Aug 16 by hobo

Less jobs due to the hiring of cheaper workers from abroad


Who then send most of their money back to their home country rather than spend it here
0
Saturday Job on 18:01 - Aug 16 with 1322 viewsGwyn737

Saturday Job on 17:39 - Aug 16 by Scotia

At the age of 15 I bet it is difficult. Paper and milk rounds don't really exist anymore and there won;t be much else open to them.

Once at 16 it should be easier - but the minimum wage for that group is under £7 an hour until they are 18. That needs to increase.


Good addition to my earlier list 👍
1
Saturday Job on 18:05 - Aug 16 with 1314 viewsScotia

Saturday Job on 17:54 - Aug 16 by hobo

Less jobs due to the hiring of cheaper workers from abroad


In an official, on the books job that's a complete myth.
0
Saturday Job on 18:11 - Aug 16 with 1306 viewshobo

Saturday Job on 18:05 - Aug 16 by Scotia

In an official, on the books job that's a complete myth.


Simple supply and demand. If there's a large pool of workers available, then you can get away with paying bottom dollar
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026