Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die 00:04 - Apr 7 with 1273 viewsDavillin

O.K., this is more unfair to me than to you, as I've eaten several of these foods. When you're next over in the States, why don't you try some.

And for those of you who already have, let's have your Culinary Report, please.

http://college.usatoday.com/2015/04/06/17-regional-foods-every-american-should-e

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 08:45 - Apr 7 with 1214 viewsLohengrin

The last time I had Gumbo, Dav, was back in June sat on a Bourbon Street balcony in the early hours while a street band was playing Bill Bailey down below.

I'm just a lottery win away from that being a permanent lifestyle!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 08:50 - Apr 7 with 1209 viewsJackSomething

I've had way more of those foods than is probably good for me. Some of them I had in different parts of America rather than their place of origin, but I certainly enjoyed my cheesesteak in Philadelphia and my bagels and pizza in NY.

I cook gumbo (and did so this weekend), but using a recipe from a chef's cookbook which acknowledges it's not an authentic gumbo, as it uses chorizo and sweet potato.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 10:13 - Apr 7 with 1172 viewswaynekerr55

Had a bit of time off work and they are currently doing re runs of "Floyd's American Pie" on BBC 2 with the charismatic Keith Floyd. God he loved a drink and he was funny

He was staying on a ranch with cattle farmers in Texas

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 12:23 - Apr 7 with 1109 viewssnork44

Living in the Deep South, we have Southern Barbarcue, Grits,Chicken Fried Steak and Hush Puppies on a regular basis! There are also dishes like Fried pickles,Fried Chicken,Pecan Pie and jambalaya ! The Southerners really love their food

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 13:49 - Apr 7 with 1072 viewsBatterseajack

I've just had lunch, and reading that made me hungry again - I was also hoping it would have a suggestion for food of Californian origin - I'm heading there in a couple of months, does anyone have any tips on what to look out for.
17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 16:01 - Apr 7 with 1035 viewsTummer_from_Texas

It shouldn't surprise me because it's USA Today, but it looks like they simply chose 17 of the most well-known regional dishes in America to list. Certainly didn't do it based on quality.

I'm biased as a San Antonio native, but I still think Puffy Tacos belonged on the list. And with all the great New Orleans options they had (and New Orleans deserves at least two items on this list), they chose literally the most generic thing people eat there: shrimp gumbo.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 16:17 - Apr 7 with 1018 viewslondonlisa2001

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 12:23 - Apr 7 by snork44

Living in the Deep South, we have Southern Barbarcue, Grits,Chicken Fried Steak and Hush Puppies on a regular basis! There are also dishes like Fried pickles,Fried Chicken,Pecan Pie and jambalaya ! The Southerners really love their food

if not their arteries ...

Re the article - I think it may be pushing it to describe some of the choices as 'American'. Pizza and bagels being two.

I was surprised to see no reference though to the amazing food down in New Mexico - some of the food in Santa Fe and Taos is the best I've ever tasted in the US - the fusion of Mexican with 'healthy Californian' is stunningly good and very innovative.
17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 16:45 - Apr 7 with 1003 viewsThursday

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 16:01 - Apr 7 by Tummer_from_Texas

It shouldn't surprise me because it's USA Today, but it looks like they simply chose 17 of the most well-known regional dishes in America to list. Certainly didn't do it based on quality.

I'm biased as a San Antonio native, but I still think Puffy Tacos belonged on the list. And with all the great New Orleans options they had (and New Orleans deserves at least two items on this list), they chose literally the most generic thing people eat there: shrimp gumbo.

Fair enough. But to most Americans, a puffy taco is something you try to avoid waking up next to after a session.

Some of the items on the list did surprise me; they struck me as go-to choices. If I were playing Family Feud, they'd be my answers (in the cases I could name anything). That doesn't mean they shouldn't be on the list; I'm just surprised.
Login to get fewer ads

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 00:33 - Apr 8 with 917 viewsDavillin

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 16:17 - Apr 7 by londonlisa2001

if not their arteries ...

Re the article - I think it may be pushing it to describe some of the choices as 'American'. Pizza and bagels being two.

I was surprised to see no reference though to the amazing food down in New Mexico - some of the food in Santa Fe and Taos is the best I've ever tasted in the US - the fusion of Mexican with 'healthy Californian' is stunningly good and very innovative.

The title is accurate: "Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die," nor "American food . . . . "

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 00:45 - Apr 8 with 910 viewslondonlisa2001

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 00:33 - Apr 8 by Davillin

The title is accurate: "Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die," nor "American food . . . . "

It does indeed - I was referring to the introduction to the list which starts:

"What is “American food”? "

and goes on to say:

"The distinction of American cuisine is that no one food defines our food culture. Instead, you must try them all. So here’s your culinary bucket list, America. Eat up; it’s your patriotic duty."

That reads as a suggestion that the foods are regarded as 'American' hence, I imagine, the reference to patriotic?
17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 09:35 - Apr 8 with 866 viewsJackSomething

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 00:45 - Apr 8 by londonlisa2001

It does indeed - I was referring to the introduction to the list which starts:

"What is “American food”? "

and goes on to say:

"The distinction of American cuisine is that no one food defines our food culture. Instead, you must try them all. So here’s your culinary bucket list, America. Eat up; it’s your patriotic duty."

That reads as a suggestion that the foods are regarded as 'American' hence, I imagine, the reference to patriotic?

As Tummer said, it's USA Today, so you don't expect quality, just like with our tabloids.

Having said that, in the case of pizza, I think they're making the point that traditional New York and Chicago pizzas are very different and both have loyal supporters that declare them the 'best'. Even though the only real difference is the thickness of the base and crust. It's a bit like the arguments between Devon and Cornwall over scones.

I love the pizza I've had in America, even though it's never been anything like true Italian pizza.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2015 9:36]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 16:17 - Apr 8 with 788 viewsDavillin

17 Regional Foods Every American Should Eat Before They Die on 09:35 - Apr 8 by JackSomething

As Tummer said, it's USA Today, so you don't expect quality, just like with our tabloids.

Having said that, in the case of pizza, I think they're making the point that traditional New York and Chicago pizzas are very different and both have loyal supporters that declare them the 'best'. Even though the only real difference is the thickness of the base and crust. It's a bit like the arguments between Devon and Cornwall over scones.

I love the pizza I've had in America, even though it's never been anything like true Italian pizza.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2015 9:36]

Perfect.

p.s. American pizza is based primarily on Napolitano pizza, which tends to have thicker sauce, somewhat thicker bread.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024