Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tata 15:48 - Jan 17 with 34590 viewsraynor94

Looks like up to 800 job losses to be announced, 600 at Port Talbot, a devastating blow for the area, let's just hope Tata keep the faith and see these rough times through

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Tata on 15:59 - Jan 17 with 6829 viewsLord_Bony

Bad news

World demand for steel is falling. It's a cut throat business these days,we re finding it more difficult to compete globally because of the cost of British labour compared to Asia and the strength of the pound.

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Tata on 16:01 - Jan 17 with 6782 viewsDarran

Dreadful news.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Tata on 16:02 - Jan 17 with 6792 viewsAl_Bundy

Surprised Port Talbot is still exists ! gone continually down hill from 1980.
Tata on 16:03 - Jan 17 with 6785 viewsperchrockjack

Hope those affected get jobs.

Nothing remotely funny about unemployment

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Tata on 16:03 - Jan 17 with 6790 viewsSwanzay

And I hav no doubt Osbourne will not give toss, hes to busy brown nosing the Chinese.
Tata on 16:05 - Jan 17 with 6771 viewsNookiejack

China has built up too much over capacity in steel production.

Redcar has closed and now terrible news for Port Talbot.

You would think from a security of supply point of view - should have certain capability to produce steel in the UK.
Tata on 16:06 - Jan 17 with 6770 viewsmonmouth

Terrible if that happens.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Tata on 16:06 - Jan 17 with 6765 viewsCooperman

Reported losses of £1m per day! That's not sustainable for any business, even one of the Tata enterprise.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Login to get fewer ads

Tata on 16:20 - Jan 17 with 6712 viewsNeath_Jack

Tata on 16:06 - Jan 17 by Cooperman

Reported losses of £1m per day! That's not sustainable for any business, even one of the Tata enterprise.

It's been that figure for nigh on two years. There's only so long someone will keep throwing money at something before they say that's enough.

The whole plant (bar the new blast) needs modernising or upgrading as well, talking hundreds of millions of pounds required.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Tata on 16:22 - Jan 17 with 6702 viewsNeath_Jack

Spare a thought for the countless numbers of humble contractors who will also, and already have lost their jobs the past few months. The numbers are/will be higher than those of Tata employees. And they will leave without a big pension or redundancy, despite many of them working there all their lives too.

It's about time the government pulled out all the stops to prevent the plant closing, thousands of peoples lives depend on that place.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Tata on 16:22 - Jan 17 with 6695 viewsperchrockjack

I d like jobs to be transferred from more affluent areas when industrial towns are hammered.

No way would mass job losses be tolerated down south.

If it happens in Wales, it clearly don't matter

Tata on 16:23 - Jan 17 with 6697 viewsLord_Bony

Tata on 16:20 - Jan 17 by Neath_Jack

It's been that figure for nigh on two years. There's only so long someone will keep throwing money at something before they say that's enough.

The whole plant (bar the new blast) needs modernising or upgrading as well, talking hundreds of millions of pounds required.

That kind of investment is not going to happen,not if the government and tax payers won't subsidise the project.

With the money they are losing better off mothballing it and giving some of the money they would have lost to the labour force.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Tata on 16:25 - Jan 17 with 6686 viewsexiledclaseboy

I feel for those involved. Redundancy is a terrible thing.

Poll: Tory leader

Tata on 16:26 - Jan 17 with 6649 viewsDarran

Tata on 16:22 - Jan 17 by Neath_Jack

Spare a thought for the countless numbers of humble contractors who will also, and already have lost their jobs the past few months. The numbers are/will be higher than those of Tata employees. And they will leave without a big pension or redundancy, despite many of them working there all their lives too.

It's about time the government pulled out all the stops to prevent the plant closing, thousands of peoples lives depend on that place.

Great post but I can't see what the government can do when steel is so much cheaper in other countries.
Sad but true.

Tata on 16:30 - Jan 17 with 6651 viewsNeath_Jack

Tata on 16:26 - Jan 17 by Darran

Great post but I can't see what the government can do when steel is so much cheaper in other countries.
Sad but true.

There's plenty they can do Dar.

Lower the rates and energy prices for them. Get the NRW off their backs for a few months. Do like the yanks have done and stop the cheap imports coming into the country. They can go to the European Court and argue about it all at a later date.

It will devastate South Wales if that place goes, not just the employees and contractors, it's all the local suppliers, local newsagents and shops that workers stop in on the way to work etc etc.

Tata on 16:32 - Jan 17 with 6640 viewsperchrockjack

It's all down to the creation of jobs or industry to replace the old.

Britain s industrial heartlands have lost all.

Areas that made our country wealthy and provided a living for people basically thrown into the fire of despair.

Imagine if London lost the banking industry

Tata on 16:35 - Jan 17 with 6615 viewsDarran

Tata on 16:30 - Jan 17 by Neath_Jack

There's plenty they can do Dar.

Lower the rates and energy prices for them. Get the NRW off their backs for a few months. Do like the yanks have done and stop the cheap imports coming into the country. They can go to the European Court and argue about it all at a later date.

It will devastate South Wales if that place goes, not just the employees and contractors, it's all the local suppliers, local newsagents and shops that workers stop in on the way to work etc etc.

It's not going to stop people buying steel from Asia,they could step in and lower rates etc but it's only a matter of time sadly.

Tata on 16:37 - Jan 17 with 6626 viewsDracan66

Terrible news if true and the loss of possibly 800 skilled jobs is a difficult pill to swallow. I'm hoping the Government will step in as does everyone but the decline of the steel industry over the last 40 years points to more heartache for steelworkers and contractors associated with the industry.
Tata on 16:40 - Jan 17 with 6604 viewsperchrockjack

It was my first place of work and it would be a kick in the guts for me.

Areas like South Wales need special care

Tata on 16:43 - Jan 17 with 6595 viewsDracan66

Mine too, having spent 15 years there the bar was always being moved to become more productive. A very efficient workforce without doubt and they deserve better.
Tata on 16:44 - Jan 17 with 6590 viewsNeath_Jack

Tata on 16:35 - Jan 17 by Darran

It's not going to stop people buying steel from Asia,they could step in and lower rates etc but it's only a matter of time sadly.

You're probably right, but doing nothing certainly isn't going to help the plant or people employed there.

Tata on 16:48 - Jan 17 with 6581 viewsWingstandwood

The industrial decline of SW Wales has been absolutely shocking! This whole area was once a manufacturing hotbed, I'm old enough to remember!.............And if a place hasn't shut yet its only likely to have got a minuscule fraction of its original workforce.

Yeah welcome to SW Wales........ Care work, call centers, part time retail along with part time this.....part time that.....and part time the other jobs. Oh and there is the other obscenity of mass agency work employment where many cannot plan ahead from one day to the next. A hand-to-mouth existence for many.

Utterly dreadful stuff!...... and you get the likes of that obscenity Shelvey's unprofessionalism?........ and people like that SWEP columnist and Garry Monk calling for a Kristian O' Leary reinstatement and banging on about imaginary injustices. Holy shit how different the real world really is to some?

Argus!

Tata on 16:49 - Jan 17 with 6552 viewsDarran

Tata on 16:48 - Jan 17 by Wingstandwood

The industrial decline of SW Wales has been absolutely shocking! This whole area was once a manufacturing hotbed, I'm old enough to remember!.............And if a place hasn't shut yet its only likely to have got a minuscule fraction of its original workforce.

Yeah welcome to SW Wales........ Care work, call centers, part time retail along with part time this.....part time that.....and part time the other jobs. Oh and there is the other obscenity of mass agency work employment where many cannot plan ahead from one day to the next. A hand-to-mouth existence for many.

Utterly dreadful stuff!...... and you get the likes of that obscenity Shelvey's unprofessionalism?........ and people like that SWEP columnist and Garry Monk calling for a Kristian O' Leary reinstatement and banging on about imaginary injustices. Holy shit how different the real world really is to some?

Has Garry Monk said that?

Tata on 16:52 - Jan 17 with 6554 viewsDracan66

The Government has to step in to save the day, that goes without saying. British Steel, Corus and now Tata has always played on an uneven playing field and the growth of the Chinese steel industry and the dumping of their stockpiles onto the global market are crippling.
Tata on 17:00 - Jan 17 with 6535 viewsWingstandwood

Tata on 16:49 - Jan 17 by Darran

Has Garry Monk said that?

The SWEP columnist stated that Monk post-sacking tried to have KOL reinstated yes! Also that columnist tried via print to have KOL reinstated in two separate articles................The poor little victim KOL? That was the way it was portrayed.

Nothing gets my back up than seeing heart-bleeds over-pampered managers. footballers and coaches and their parallel universe world of perceived injustice and victim hood. I have contracted at Port Talbot steel (like previous thousands) myself and I have every sympathy for the workforce.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2016 17:08]

Argus!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024