Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brecon 17:47 - Nov 22 with 2284 viewsdickythorpe

Might well be spending a day up there soon.
Can the discerning amongst you recommend places to visit, eat, drink and park?
Brecon on 17:53 - Nov 22 with 1895 viewsbuilthjack

I will fill you in late Dicky. I spend half my life there.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Brecon on 18:34 - Nov 22 with 1847 viewsWxmJax

Brecon on 17:53 - Nov 22 by builthjack

I will fill you in late Dicky. I spend half my life there.

Anything to get out of Builth

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Brecon on 19:50 - Nov 22 with 1794 viewsJohnw102

The Gurkha restaurant outstanding food. https://gurkhacorners.co.uk/brecon/

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Brecon on 20:52 - Nov 22 with 1742 viewsdickythorpe

Brecon on 19:50 - Nov 22 by Johnw102

The Gurkha restaurant outstanding food. https://gurkhacorners.co.uk/brecon/

Looks fantastic john.
What's your favourite dish there?
Brecon on 21:51 - Nov 22 with 1679 viewsFlashberryjack

The Welsh Borderers Museum in Brecon... Rorke's Drift.

If it's still open.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Brecon on 23:13 - Nov 22 with 1606 viewstheloneranger

Brecon on 21:51 - Nov 22 by Flashberryjack

If it's still open.

It's still open ... But it's now called The Regimental Museum of the Royal Welsh.

It's a great place to visit. There's plenty of info also on The Welch Reg, Mametz Wood etc.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Brecon on 23:23 - Nov 22 with 1597 viewsTNT

Brecon on 23:13 - Nov 22 by theloneranger

It's still open ... But it's now called The Regimental Museum of the Royal Welsh.

It's a great place to visit. There's plenty of info also on The Welch Reg, Mametz Wood etc.

Lest we forget.

People need to visit these places.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Brecon on 23:25 - Nov 22 with 1593 viewslonglostjack

If it's still open.

My (great) uncle Jack’s regiment. Fought in Burma but never talked about it. Unlike Tory prats like Mark Francois from the Catering Corps who saw service in Sevenoaks.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2019 23:28]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Login to get fewer ads

Brecon on 23:29 - Nov 22 with 1576 viewsLord_Bony

If it's still open.

Every time I go to that bastad place it's always shut.

Nice big pub in the centre for food, it's also a hotel.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Brecon on 23:31 - Nov 22 with 1568 viewsLohengrin

The bookshop in Lion Square is always worth a visit, Dicky.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Brecon on 23:32 - Nov 22 with 1567 viewsTNT

My grandad served in The Royal Engineers in North Africa and Italy. I've got photos. I had his cap badge, I was very young and it went missing, I've bought another, but it's not his and means nothing to me really.

My ol' man (87) has a big framed memorial of his uncle who served in the First World War. He wants me to have it, and I do, but where do I make it justice. Probably a museum would do it more justice. These places are so important.

Brecon on 23:34 - Nov 22 with 1553 viewsTNT

Speaking of Museums, and the importance of remembering, I think there should be a FK off Swans museum somewhere. Our journey has been phenomenal. We all have items that would make this place an impressive venue to visit.

Brecon on 23:37 - Nov 22 with 1541 viewsTNT

Brecon on 23:34 - Nov 22 by TNT

Speaking of Museums, and the importance of remembering, I think there should be a FK off Swans museum somewhere. Our journey has been phenomenal. We all have items that would make this place an impressive venue to visit.

Trust initiative?

Brecon on 23:37 - Nov 22 with 1541 viewsDJack

Brecon on 23:32 - Nov 22 by TNT

My grandad served in The Royal Engineers in North Africa and Italy. I've got photos. I had his cap badge, I was very young and it went missing, I've bought another, but it's not his and means nothing to me really.

My ol' man (87) has a big framed memorial of his uncle who served in the First World War. He wants me to have it, and I do, but where do I make it justice. Probably a museum would do it more justice. These places are so important.

Go and visit the Royal Engineer Museum in Chatham, Kent.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Brecon on 23:40 - Nov 22 with 1526 viewsTNT

Brecon on 23:37 - Nov 22 by DJack

Go and visit the Royal Engineer Museum in Chatham, Kent.

Good call mate, and much appreciated, but it won't go outside of Wales.

Brecon on 23:56 - Nov 22 with 1509 viewsSwanjaxs

Brecon on 23:29 - Nov 22 by Lord_Bony

Every time I go to that bastad place it's always shut.

Nice big pub in the centre for food, it's also a hotel.

The Wellington Hotel 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Brecon on 23:56 - Nov 22 with 1508 viewsDJack

Brecon on 23:40 - Nov 22 by TNT

Good call mate, and much appreciated, but it won't go outside of Wales.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Visit the museum to gain an understanding of what work your grandfather was involved in. As to the memorial, keep it for now and when you are ready either gift it to the local Engineer TA (108?) or to the Monmouthshire Militia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Monmouthshire_Royal_Engineers

"The Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia) (R MON RE(M)) is the most senior regiment in the British Army Reserve, having given continuous loyal service to the crown since 1539. It is part of the reserve forces, and is the only remaining Militia unit in the British Army."

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Brecon on 00:06 - Nov 23 with 1495 viewsTNT

Brecon on 23:56 - Nov 22 by DJack

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Visit the museum to gain an understanding of what work your grandfather was involved in. As to the memorial, keep it for now and when you are ready either gift it to the local Engineer TA (108?) or to the Monmouthshire Militia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Monmouthshire_Royal_Engineers

"The Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia) (R MON RE(M)) is the most senior regiment in the British Army Reserve, having given continuous loyal service to the crown since 1539. It is part of the reserve forces, and is the only remaining Militia unit in the British Army."

Thanks for taking the trouble mate, it's a hefty but impressive piece about 4' by 3'. Just needs the right place.

Brecon on 00:07 - Nov 23 with 1491 viewsbuilthjack

Food - go to "Hills". It's the old Bishops Meadow place about a mile out of town. Excellent food at decent prices.
Walk - alongside the river from the town centre.
Canal boat - Go to Theatre Brycheiniog, and alongside it you will find a canal boat which takes you along the river use. A good way to spend a couple of hours.
Parking - plenty of parking in the town centre, reasonably cheap. Or find a free side street.
Museums- as previous posters have said.
Feeling energetic? Head 10 miles towards Merthyr and walk up Penyfan.
Want to see Gods country? Head 20 miles north.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Brecon on 00:11 - Nov 23 with 1486 viewsTNT

Brecon on 00:06 - Nov 23 by TNT

Thanks for taking the trouble mate, it's a hefty but impressive piece about 4' by 3'. Just needs the right place.

My parents live 7 miles from The Liberty, they're 87 & 85. Big Swans fans... from the house. Demand daily Swans updates by text.

Brecon on 00:14 - Nov 23 with 1482 viewsDJack

Brecon on 00:06 - Nov 23 by TNT

No worries, good luck with with your decision.

Brecon on 00:16 - Nov 23 with 1470 viewsTNT

Brecon on 00:14 - Nov 23 by DJack

No worries, good luck with with your decision.

Cheers buddy. Have a good day, hopefully with The Jacks winning.

Brecon on 00:16 - Nov 23 with 1469 viewsbuilthjack

Brecon on 23:56 - Nov 22 by Swanjaxs

The Wellington Hotel 👍

A brains pub. It's not great.

Brecon on 14:09 - Nov 23 with 1268 viewsInTheCity

Brecon on 00:07 - Nov 23 by builthjack

Food - go to "Hills". It's the old Bishops Meadow place about a mile out of town. Excellent food at decent prices.
Walk - alongside the river from the town centre.
Canal boat - Go to Theatre Brycheiniog, and alongside it you will find a canal boat which takes you along the river use. A good way to spend a couple of hours.
Parking - plenty of parking in the town centre, reasonably cheap. Or find a free side street.
Museums- as previous posters have said.
Feeling energetic? Head 10 miles towards Merthyr and walk up Penyfan.
Want to see Gods country? Head 20 miles north.

I live in Brecon, so will chip in here.

Food and drink.
Hills.
Ok, if you like a burger.. but great for the views.
The George.
A decent Wetherspoons just off town centre.
The Castle.
Bar meals and restaurant are tidy enough but a bit overpriced. THE best spot to enjoy a drink in Brecon on a nice day.
Brecon Tap.
Local ales. Serves a menu of homemade pies.
The Clarence.
A locals pub that does cracking pub food. En route from the centre to the Regimental Museum.
The Wellington.
As BuilthJack says...avoid.

If you want Footy on TV, it's The Siddons or The Rorkes. Neither do food but are full of 'friendly' locals..

Walking.
From town centre, good river walks in either direction from the Usk river bridge.
Walk or cycle along the canal to Tal y bont. (Good real ale pub at The Star Inn, Tal y bont)
Hike the quieter route from the town centre to the summit of Pen y fan, down to Storey Arms.. and get the bus back to town.

Museums.
The Regimental museum is a must. It is due to relocate from the barracks to the town centre during 2020.
Y Gaer, replaces the old museum and is a museum, library and cultural hub which is due to open in early December. There have been huge concerns locally regarding the massive overbudget spending on this project. I believe there is also an on site café. Y Gaer is located in the street behind the Wellington.

I'm not sure where God's country is... but it certainly isn't 20 miles north of Brecon!
Brecon on 21:01 - Nov 23 with 1156 viewsbuilthjack

Brecon on 14:09 - Nov 23 by InTheCity

I live in Brecon, so will chip in here.

Food and drink.
Hills.
Ok, if you like a burger.. but great for the views.
The George.
A decent Wetherspoons just off town centre.
The Castle.
Bar meals and restaurant are tidy enough but a bit overpriced. THE best spot to enjoy a drink in Brecon on a nice day.
Brecon Tap.
Local ales. Serves a menu of homemade pies.
The Clarence.
A locals pub that does cracking pub food. En route from the centre to the Regimental Museum.
The Wellington.
As BuilthJack says...avoid.

If you want Footy on TV, it's The Siddons or The Rorkes. Neither do food but are full of 'friendly' locals..

Walking.
From town centre, good river walks in either direction from the Usk river bridge.
Walk or cycle along the canal to Tal y bont. (Good real ale pub at The Star Inn, Tal y bont)
Hike the quieter route from the town centre to the summit of Pen y fan, down to Storey Arms.. and get the bus back to town.

Museums.
The Regimental museum is a must. It is due to relocate from the barracks to the town centre during 2020.
Y Gaer, replaces the old museum and is a museum, library and cultural hub which is due to open in early December. There have been huge concerns locally regarding the massive overbudget spending on this project. I believe there is also an on site café. Y Gaer is located in the street behind the Wellington.

I'm not sure where God's country is... but it certainly isn't 20 miles north of Brecon!

It's 21 😉

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024