Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have you had your dna tested? 11:43 - Jun 25 with 11584 viewsArthur_from_OTB

I don’t understand why more people are not interested in genealogy and dna testing.

If you want to get into dna testing then you should do it soon because it will not survive the PC revolution in the Western world. The evidence seems to be that our genes have a far greater influence on our outcomes in life than was previously thought. But academics involved in this research are being attacked as racists and are being purged from the universities. Anything which goes against PC dogma is taboo.

The latest victim is Steve Hsu a professor in America. I remember him for two very interesting things he said in a podcast. The first was that there are 300,000 Chinese with an IQ over 160 compared with 10,000 in the USA. Most of the great discoveries made in the world have come from over 160 IQ geniuses like Maxwell and Newton so unless the Chinese geniuses are weighed down by the enormous number of Chinese thickos I think we will see exciting technological developments coming from China.

The second thing he mentioned was that there are 100,000 untested "rape kits" in America. Rape kits are evidence from rapes that the police could not afford to prepare for dna testing. I think Hse said the main cost of testing is in the collection and extraction of dna from these kits. He estimated $1,000 for each kit even though the actual testing would only cost $50. I heard this podcast about 2 years ago so the figures might be wrong. Of course, the main cost of all this would be the trials and the imprisonments so it is fairly certain that the kits will be quietly destroyed.

Dna tests are showing that many fathers are not the genetic fathers of their children. I think the rate of this is much higher than was previously estimated. This is causing family disputes and unhappiness. It won’t be long before someone is killed because of a dna test. That might be an excuse for shutting it all down in the UK. Or they could use privacy concerns. You might find it hard to get health or life insurance if your dna profile was made public or hacked.

If you do get a dna test then I would recommend using a service where you can see the individual segments you have received from your ancestors. Ancestry DNA do not give you this information. You would be better off with 23andMe or Myheritage. I can’t say anything about the others because I have not looked at them. With a bit of research you will be able to work out which segment (a contiguous chuck of dna) on each chromosome came from which ancestor going back to about 1800. You could combine this information with health information about your ancestor and the functions of the shared genes. We are still in the dark about what we get from the various genes but I think the Chinese will fill in the gaps in the near future.
Have you had your dna tested? on 13:13 - Jun 25 with 7192 viewsProfessor

Sorry.
Most of this is cobblers (apart from the paternity bit and that there is a complex genetic make up in many people)
DNA extractions are pennies each now. Certainly no more than a couple of quid per sample.
There is no evidence of intelligence and racial genetics. There may be 300k Chinese with high IQ, but there are an awful lot of Chinese people.

The Chinese tech is interesting. The country is very good at adapting tech but lacks a
History of innovation. This may be partly due to the nature of education which is quite rigid. It is successful in producing excellent scientists, though perhaps less creative than we do. Education is based on Confucian traditions- needed to learn the complex characters in the written language
Have you had your dna tested? on 14:44 - Jun 25 with 7130 viewsProfessor

Have you had your dna tested? on 13:13 - Jun 25 by Professor

Sorry.
Most of this is cobblers (apart from the paternity bit and that there is a complex genetic make up in many people)
DNA extractions are pennies each now. Certainly no more than a couple of quid per sample.
There is no evidence of intelligence and racial genetics. There may be 300k Chinese with high IQ, but there are an awful lot of Chinese people.

The Chinese tech is interesting. The country is very good at adapting tech but lacks a
History of innovation. This may be partly due to the nature of education which is quite rigid. It is successful in producing excellent scientists, though perhaps less creative than we do. Education is based on Confucian traditions- needed to learn the complex characters in the written language

Checked the cost of a Mammalian extraction kit by Qiagen (who are a bit like the BMW of molecular reagents) and comes in about 2.20 per sample, without discount. About a 90 min procedure for a technician. Then the PCR or RFLP analysis would come in around 100 quid. If you run 2 then 60 per sample. 10- less than 15 quid. I don’t think the likes of 23 and me charge 1000s.
Have you had your dna tested? on 14:47 - Jun 25 with 7128 viewsArthur_from_OTB

Have you had your dna tested? on 13:13 - Jun 25 by Professor

Sorry.

I said the cost of the dna tests is in the "collection and extraction" of data. The kits are in thousands of police stations and the dna has to be extracted from the clothing, tools, etc very carefully so it is not contaminated. That is all very time consuming. The actual test is not that expensive but if could be done for a few pennies then the DNA testing companies would charge a lot less than the $50 minimum you see at the moment. Do you expect your electrician to just charge you for a bit cable and a few fuses when you call him out? I guess you are not a Professor of Economics.

When you say there is no evidence of "intelligence and racial genetics" do you mean there is no such thing as intelligence or do you just mean that there is no evidence of intelligence differences between groups of people (let's call them races) that are due to genetics.

That there are average genetic differences between people who come from different parts of the world is obvious. For example, Jewish people will have a much higher chance of having Tay-Sachs disease than black Africans. The reverse applies to sickle cell disease. Whatever intelligence is there seems to be a genetic link. For example, we know that on average intelligent parents will have intelligent children but there is little correlation between the intelligence, as measured by IQ, of adopted children and their parents. There’s a New Scientist link to this here :

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23931870-500-the-truth-about-intelligence

The difference between average Jewish intelligence and average Black African intelligence, as measured by IQ and things like Nobel Prize wins, is noticeable to most people who dare to see the world as it is. Are you saying this difference just due to social differences between the two groups and genetic differences have nothing to do with it?

The 300,000 -10,000 difference is a result of the population size difference, as you say, and the average IQ difference between the Chinese and Americans. The Chinese have a higher average IQ than us in the West. You made a derogatory comment about Chinese education but I recently read the blog of Chinese boy who was sent to the UK get A-levels so he could go to university here. In China his parents knew he wasn’t bright enough to get in to any of the top Chinese universities. He came here aged 16 with hardly any English but in two years his A-level results were among the best in the country and he was awarded a scholarship to study at Cambridge. This was someone well below the top rank in China.

If you are going to reply to this then don’t say "I’m a professor of this or that and you must accept whatever I say as truth". In the words of Brian Clough "You can throw your medals in the bin”. I’ve met and worked with more academics than I’ve had hot dinners and as far as I am concerned they are mainly ideologues who lack common sense.
Have you had your dna tested? on 15:48 - Jun 25 with 7071 viewsdizietsma

Have you had your dna tested? on 14:47 - Jun 25 by Arthur_from_OTB

I said the cost of the dna tests is in the "collection and extraction" of data. The kits are in thousands of police stations and the dna has to be extracted from the clothing, tools, etc very carefully so it is not contaminated. That is all very time consuming. The actual test is not that expensive but if could be done for a few pennies then the DNA testing companies would charge a lot less than the $50 minimum you see at the moment. Do you expect your electrician to just charge you for a bit cable and a few fuses when you call him out? I guess you are not a Professor of Economics.

When you say there is no evidence of "intelligence and racial genetics" do you mean there is no such thing as intelligence or do you just mean that there is no evidence of intelligence differences between groups of people (let's call them races) that are due to genetics.

That there are average genetic differences between people who come from different parts of the world is obvious. For example, Jewish people will have a much higher chance of having Tay-Sachs disease than black Africans. The reverse applies to sickle cell disease. Whatever intelligence is there seems to be a genetic link. For example, we know that on average intelligent parents will have intelligent children but there is little correlation between the intelligence, as measured by IQ, of adopted children and their parents. There’s a New Scientist link to this here :

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23931870-500-the-truth-about-intelligence

The difference between average Jewish intelligence and average Black African intelligence, as measured by IQ and things like Nobel Prize wins, is noticeable to most people who dare to see the world as it is. Are you saying this difference just due to social differences between the two groups and genetic differences have nothing to do with it?

The 300,000 -10,000 difference is a result of the population size difference, as you say, and the average IQ difference between the Chinese and Americans. The Chinese have a higher average IQ than us in the West. You made a derogatory comment about Chinese education but I recently read the blog of Chinese boy who was sent to the UK get A-levels so he could go to university here. In China his parents knew he wasn’t bright enough to get in to any of the top Chinese universities. He came here aged 16 with hardly any English but in two years his A-level results were among the best in the country and he was awarded a scholarship to study at Cambridge. This was someone well below the top rank in China.

If you are going to reply to this then don’t say "I’m a professor of this or that and you must accept whatever I say as truth". In the words of Brian Clough "You can throw your medals in the bin”. I’ve met and worked with more academics than I’ve had hot dinners and as far as I am concerned they are mainly ideologues who lack common sense.

A quick question if I may, just to be clear.

Is it Arthur_from_OTB or Professsor Steve Hsu who is claiming to know Isaac Newton's IQ score?
Have you had your dna tested? on 15:59 - Jun 25 with 7069 viewsProfessor

I studied the Chinese education system as part of my PGCE for HE. I was concerned by underachievement in problem based learning. It comes down to that it was very alien to the construction of learning in China which is centuries old and more rigid and strict. Based around hard work and high achievement. Where this come unstuck is when given a student-directed challenge.

I would suggest to you the whole process of either an RFLP (fingerprinting test as develop by Alec Jeffries) or PCR including extraction and analysis is that cheap. It's only around 100 quid to do a whole genome sequence these days commercially. Maybe 15 years ago then 1000 seems about right. Currently it costs be 4500 to run 96 sequences for microbiome analysis including sequencing, isolation etc. and inclusive of labour-about 50 quid a pop.

Yes, you are right about disease and links to genetics. There are two main drivers here. The first (as seen in some tight knit populations-like some of the specific Jewish sects and the Royals due to inbreeding. The other is an adaptation-sickle cell trait is an advantage against Malaria as the mutation associated with CF is though to be an advantage against Typhoid in Northern Europe.

Generally you are right-intelligent parents tend to have intelligent kids, but environment is as big if not bigger effect on achievement. There is no real evidence of an 'intelligent race'. Generally academic achievement is related to environment and opportunity. China values education-hence good achievement as it creates the environment and opportunity. Using IQ also has some flaws that may suggest different cultural groups have a lower IQ. Certainly IQ was used in the past in the US to suggest black people were of lower intelligence. Now, of course debunked by more recent studies
Have you had your dna tested? on 16:01 - Jun 25 with 7064 viewsProfessor

Have you had your dna tested? on 15:48 - Jun 25 by dizietsma

Is it Arthur_from_OTB or Professsor Steve Hsu who is claiming to know Isaac Newton's IQ score?

Well if anyone knows Newton's IQ they must have had a seance. IQ tests were developed in the early 20th century. Newton was very much 17th Century
Have you had your dna tested? on 16:14 - Jun 25 with 7053 viewsProfessor

So to come back to the Chinese/Confucian learning tradition-its covered well in this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teaching-Learning-University-Research-Education/dp/0335

It does also talk about the paradox that in Western learning we would consider Chinese practice as 'Rote Learning' but there is a paradox in better problem solving by Chinese Students, though as I said this does break down bit once more abstract concepts are thrown in.

As for I am a Professor 'you must believe me'- well yes if it is chickens, Salmonella and Campylobacter. I'm quite keen on the scientific philosophies of Popper and Kuhn. These would make you think twice about accepting anything as truth.
Have you had your dna tested? on 16:16 - Jun 25 with 7051 viewsJack_Kass

Be careful what you wish for.

Friend was bought a gift for her birthday, turns out she has a half sister, from the result of an marital affair of her recently passed Father. She lives in the locality.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Login to get fewer ads

Have you had your dna tested? on 16:20 - Jun 25 with 7043 viewsProfessor

Have you had your dna tested? on 16:14 - Jun 25 by Professor

So to come back to the Chinese/Confucian learning tradition-its covered well in this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teaching-Learning-University-Research-Education/dp/0335

It does also talk about the paradox that in Western learning we would consider Chinese practice as 'Rote Learning' but there is a paradox in better problem solving by Chinese Students, though as I said this does break down bit once more abstract concepts are thrown in.

As for I am a Professor 'you must believe me'- well yes if it is chickens, Salmonella and Campylobacter. I'm quite keen on the scientific philosophies of Popper and Kuhn. These would make you think twice about accepting anything as truth.

And I am not an ideologue. I am quite pragmatic if anything.
Have you had your dna tested? on 16:25 - Jun 25 with 7033 viewsDrizzy

The next step in the deterioration of Planet Swans, eugenics being presented as a legitimate explanation of intelligence.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Have you had your dna tested? on 16:37 - Jun 25 with 7008 viewsProfessor

Have you had your dna tested? on 16:25 - Jun 25 by Drizzy

The next step in the deterioration of Planet Swans, eugenics being presented as a legitimate explanation of intelligence.

I'll just say it again-there is not link between genetics (of a population) and intelligence. Not to say that's the case for an individual
Have you had your dna tested? on 16:41 - Jun 25 with 6996 viewsHumpty

Have you had your dna tested? on 16:25 - Jun 25 by Drizzy

"I have never met someone who believed in the superiority of the white race that could prove it by offering himself as an example."
Have you had your dna tested? on 16:50 - Jun 25 with 6982 viewsTreforys_Jack

Have you had your dna tested? on 16:41 - Jun 25 by Humpty

"I have never met someone who believed in the superiority of the white race that could prove it by offering himself as an example."

I've never met anyone who believed in white superiority, full stop. Maybe the circles I move in hey !
Have you had your dna tested? on 16:57 - Jun 25 with 6968 viewsHumpty

Have you had your dna tested? on 16:50 - Jun 25 by Treforys_Jack

I've never met anyone who believed in white superiority, full stop. Maybe the circles I move in hey !

Yeah. Lucky you.
Have you had your dna tested? on 17:32 - Jun 25 with 6919 viewsArthur_from_OTB

Have you had your dna tested? on 15:59 - Jun 25 by Professor

I studied the Chinese education system as part of my PGCE for HE. I was concerned by underachievement in problem based learning. It comes down to that it was very alien to the construction of learning in China which is centuries old and more rigid and strict. Based around hard work and high achievement. Where this come unstuck is when given a student-directed challenge.

I would suggest to you the whole process of either an RFLP (fingerprinting test as develop by Alec Jeffries) or PCR including extraction and analysis is that cheap. It's only around 100 quid to do a whole genome sequence these days commercially. Maybe 15 years ago then 1000 seems about right. Currently it costs be 4500 to run 96 sequences for microbiome analysis including sequencing, isolation etc. and inclusive of labour-about 50 quid a pop.

Yes, you are right about disease and links to genetics. There are two main drivers here. The first (as seen in some tight knit populations-like some of the specific Jewish sects and the Royals due to inbreeding. The other is an adaptation-sickle cell trait is an advantage against Malaria as the mutation associated with CF is though to be an advantage against Typhoid in Northern Europe.

Generally you are right-intelligent parents tend to have intelligent kids, but environment is as big if not bigger effect on achievement. There is no real evidence of an 'intelligent race'. Generally academic achievement is related to environment and opportunity. China values education-hence good achievement as it creates the environment and opportunity. Using IQ also has some flaws that may suggest different cultural groups have a lower IQ. Certainly IQ was used in the past in the US to suggest black people were of lower intelligence. Now, of course debunked by more recent studies

The cost is in the preparation. You’ve got to extract evidence from clothing in a way that will satisfy some defence lawyer that here has been no cross-contamination. It is not the same as sending your saliva to 23andme in a test tube. If it was as cheap as you say the police would be doing it already. They have been using sites like Gedmatch to find murderers for a few years. If they updated the dna from these kits to Gedmatch the rapists would soon be found. Hsu suggested philanthropists could pay the cost of testing but even then the government would not support the cost of all the trials and the cost of putting the rapists in prison.

You explain that Jews are more inclined to genetic diseases because of inbreeding but why can’t it also explain high Jewish IQ rather than saying that they just study harder.

Someone with an IQ of 160 is a genius. Newton was obviously way beyond that. At the time he was living there were probably only a dozen people in the world as intelligent as him. Leibniz was one. Bach was another. Perhaps the Chinese geniuses at that time were killed for not believing official dogma and that's why we don't know about them.

What "flaws" in IQ tests would give an advantage to the Chinese over Westerners ? Early IQ tests were biased but non-verbal tests mainly involve looking for patterns in shapes. Unless you have very bad eyesight that’s a level playing field. In fact, the Chinese do on average have worse eyesight than Westerners but they still do better on these non-verbal tests.

What is this new evidence debunking IQ differences between races?

The inhabitants of Ivory towers seem to think their elevated position in life means they can see better and further then us mortals. The opposite is the case. You see only what fits your dogma. Your default position is that everyone is equally endowed with intelligence and anyone who disputes that is beyond the pale. I am fully au fait with the philosophy of Popper and Khun. Those of us outside the Ivory Towers are not all dwelling in intellectual darkness. In the spirit of falsificationism ask yourself what evidence would make you doubt your belief in the equal distribution of intelligence.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 17:34]
Have you had your dna tested? on 17:42 - Jun 25 with 6904 viewslondonlisa2001

Have you had your dna tested? on 17:32 - Jun 25 by Arthur_from_OTB

The cost is in the preparation. You’ve got to extract evidence from clothing in a way that will satisfy some defence lawyer that here has been no cross-contamination. It is not the same as sending your saliva to 23andme in a test tube. If it was as cheap as you say the police would be doing it already. They have been using sites like Gedmatch to find murderers for a few years. If they updated the dna from these kits to Gedmatch the rapists would soon be found. Hsu suggested philanthropists could pay the cost of testing but even then the government would not support the cost of all the trials and the cost of putting the rapists in prison.

You explain that Jews are more inclined to genetic diseases because of inbreeding but why can’t it also explain high Jewish IQ rather than saying that they just study harder.

Someone with an IQ of 160 is a genius. Newton was obviously way beyond that. At the time he was living there were probably only a dozen people in the world as intelligent as him. Leibniz was one. Bach was another. Perhaps the Chinese geniuses at that time were killed for not believing official dogma and that's why we don't know about them.

What "flaws" in IQ tests would give an advantage to the Chinese over Westerners ? Early IQ tests were biased but non-verbal tests mainly involve looking for patterns in shapes. Unless you have very bad eyesight that’s a level playing field. In fact, the Chinese do on average have worse eyesight than Westerners but they still do better on these non-verbal tests.

The inhabitants of Ivory towers seem to think their elevated position in life means they can see better and further then us mortals. The opposite is the case. You see only what fits your dogma. Your default position is that everyone is equally endowed with intelligence and anyone who disputes that is beyond the pale. I am fully au fait with the philosophy of Popper and Khun. Those of us outside the Ivory Towers are not all dwelling in intellectual darkness. In the spirit of falsificationism ask yourself what evidence would make you doubt your belief in the equal distribution of intelligence.

I know the biscuits are nice but I wouldn’t have thought to put them up there with the law of universal gravitation and the St John Passion.
Have you had your dna tested? on 17:51 - Jun 25 with 6890 viewsNotLoyal

What have the Chinese ever given us?
And no ill have a number 19.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Have you had your dna tested? on 17:51 - Jun 25 with 6891 viewsProfessor

So you firstly make an assumption Newton, Bach et al were geniuses. We don't know. We can't know.

Out history does not record genius outside western and classical civilisation well. I could talk about islamic science.

I said certain Jewish sects, like some Christian sects and European Royals, where intermarriage in a restricted genetic pool leads to mutational defects. This is widely known and accepted.

So the classical racist US in the IQ test is in the US which in 1972 suggested African Americans are of lower intelligence. This gap had closed by the 1990s as people had begun to have access to better education. I have worked in Africa (Ethiopia and Malawi) and there is no difference in intelligence of the people -just access to opportunity. This is why Black Lives Matter's principles are so important.

In fact having worked with Canadians, Ethiopians, Dutch, Malawians, South Africans, Brazilians, Colombians, Israelis, Americans, French, Germans, Greeks, Filipinos, Thais, Danes, Norwegians, Italians, Latvians, Russians, Ukrainians, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese and Czechs the one thing that has never struck me is that one nation or race is more or less intelligent. They are all people. They were all different even within any race or nationality.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 18:04]
Have you had your dna tested? on 17:54 - Jun 25 with 6882 viewsHumpty

Have you had your dna tested? on 17:51 - Jun 25 by Professor

So you firstly make an assumption Newton, Bach et al were geniuses. We don't know. We can't know.

Out history does not record genius outside western and classical civilisation well. I could talk about islamic science.

I said certain Jewish sects, like some Christian sects and European Royals, where intermarriage in a restricted genetic pool leads to mutational defects. This is widely known and accepted.

So the classical racist US in the IQ test is in the US which in 1972 suggested African Americans are of lower intelligence. This gap had closed by the 1990s as people had begun to have access to better education. I have worked in Africa (Ethiopia and Malawi) and there is no difference in intelligence of the people -just access to opportunity. This is why Black Lives Matter's principles are so important.

In fact having worked with Canadians, Ethiopians, Dutch, Malawians, South Africans, Brazilians, Colombians, Israelis, Americans, French, Germans, Greeks, Filipinos, Thais, Danes, Norwegians, Italians, Latvians, Russians, Ukrainians, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese and Czechs the one thing that has never struck me is that one nation or race is more or less intelligent. They are all people. They were all different even within any race or nationality.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 18:04]

Yeah but what do you know, what with your fancy experience and education.

Arthur's seen videos and everything.
Have you had your dna tested? on 17:56 - Jun 25 with 6882 viewsProfessor

I don't work in forensic science, so I will just have to cede that. It's like wearing a tyvek suit, gloves and mask multiply the cost 20-fold
Have you had your dna tested? on 17:59 - Jun 25 with 6872 viewsNotLoyal

Have you had your dna tested? on 17:56 - Jun 25 by Professor

I don't work in forensic science, so I will just have to cede that. It's like wearing a tyvek suit, gloves and mask multiply the cost 20-fold

And the cost of postage, it's shot up...

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Have you had your dna tested? on 18:02 - Jun 25 with 6870 viewsProfessor

Have you had your dna tested? on 17:54 - Jun 25 by Humpty

Yeah but what do you know, what with your fancy experience and education.

Arthur's seen videos and everything.

You know Humpty-I'm a Vallley's Boy. Like my Indie music, a drink, sport and my grub. Was terrified of going to Ethiopia. Ended up being life changing. You learn the value of life, home and family when people with nothing invite you to share coffee and some food.
Have you had your dna tested? on 18:07 - Jun 25 with 6858 viewsProfessor

A question to you

Why is the word of a physicist accepted on IQ and genetics?
Have you had your dna tested? on 18:11 - Jun 25 with 6845 viewsProfessor

Have you had your dna tested? on 17:51 - Jun 25 by NotLoyal

What have the Chinese ever given us?
And no ill have a number 19.

pasta, ice cream, gunpowder and fireworks.
Have you had your dna tested? on 19:26 - Jun 25 with 6798 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Have you had your dna tested? on 15:48 - Jun 25 by dizietsma

Arthur from “on the buses“ mun

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024