Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Welsh Brain Drain 12:19 - Dec 29 with 2312 viewsSullutaCreturned

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/truth-welsh-brain-drain-told-28318

As has been said many times on here, young people are leaving Wales because there is very little opportunity for them. The Welsh population is the slowest growing in the UK and much of that is the retirees moving here with their nice private pensions having sold bg expensive houses elsewhere which means Wales is indeed turning into an English retirement home.

This is because of the Senedd so in basic terms those who hope for an indy Wales are peeing into the wind because as th years pass the number of Welsh in Wales is falling and the English number is increasing.

Kilkenny thinks the young will take us out of the Uk but how can they when they will have taken themselves out of Wales? Those elderly English people are also more likley to be Tory voters so one day, if we have a decent Tory party (right now the idea is laughable) Wales may vote Tory.

Even the Plaid leader is calling out Labour on this,

In response Plaid Cymru’s leader Rhun ap Iorwerth MS called on the Welsh Government to develop a new strategy to tackle depopulation in Welsh communities. The Member of the Senedd for Ynys Môn said “tai, gwaith, iaith” – meaning "homes, jobs, and language" in English – were the cornerstones of “vibrant and resilient communities”.

Although with the numbers of fluent Welsh speakers still falling despite all that's being done it's hard to see how "iath" is so important, surely homes and jobs are what is really important? being a homeless, unemployed Welsh speaker is hardly good.
The Welsh Brain Drain on 14:04 - Dec 29 with 1534 viewsonehunglow

Nowt to do with me. I left 47 years ago

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The Welsh Brain Drain on 15:57 - Dec 29 with 1498 viewsScotia

I think the inclusion of "Iaith" in Rhun's statement highlights a massive problem in Wales.

The language has nothing to do with depopulation but he's shoehorned it in as a potential solution. It gets shoehorned in everywhere where it's not needed or relevant. It's massive waste of money.
The Welsh Brain Drain on 17:22 - Dec 29 with 1461 viewsonehunglow

The Welsh Brain Drain on 15:57 - Dec 29 by Scotia

I think the inclusion of "Iaith" in Rhun's statement highlights a massive problem in Wales.

The language has nothing to do with depopulation but he's shoehorned it in as a potential solution. It gets shoehorned in everywhere where it's not needed or relevant. It's massive waste of money.

The language ,as I’ve been saying for years ,is divisive .
It is used as a tool for welsh speaking politician like Iorworth to beat monoglots who form most of the population.
Until the language is treated as just that,a language, Wales will always look a parochial backwater .

Wales has massive problems and 80% not speaking Welsh is not one of them .

The Welsh Brain Drain on 17:43 - Dec 29 with 1451 viewsunion_jack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 15:57 - Dec 29 by Scotia

I’d go as far to say it’s part of the problem not the solution. The WG invest a disproportionate amount of time, effort and money in the language whilst services fall apart around them.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Welsh Brain Drain on 19:27 - Dec 29 with 1422 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 17:43 - Dec 29 by union_jack

I’d go as far to say it’s part of the problem not the solution. The WG invest a disproportionate amount of time, effort and money in the language whilst services fall apart around them.

The Truss mini budget alone cost £30 billion.

Perspective.

Beware of the Risen People

The Welsh Brain Drain on 19:45 - Dec 29 with 1416 viewsTogg

All those pesky English immigrants on their boats from North Devon, coming into Wales, mortgage free, disposable income, spending all their hard earned money in Welsh establishments, keeping people in work....how very dare they.
The Welsh Brain Drain on 19:53 - Dec 29 with 1408 viewsmajorraglan

Sadly, it’s a major issue which isn’t confined to Wales, it’s happening all over the world where people are moving from more rural areas to big urban areas. In the U.K. London has long been a magnet for young people. The solution is better paid jobs, opportunities, housing etc but there are lots areas striving to achieve the same thing, but how we achieve that I don’t know.
The Welsh Brain Drain on 21:33 - Dec 29 with 1381 viewsTogg

The Welsh Brain Drain on 19:53 - Dec 29 by majorraglan

Sadly, it’s a major issue which isn’t confined to Wales, it’s happening all over the world where people are moving from more rural areas to big urban areas. In the U.K. London has long been a magnet for young people. The solution is better paid jobs, opportunities, housing etc but there are lots areas striving to achieve the same thing, but how we achieve that I don’t know.

Absolutely. Young people from Wales Scotland North of England etc have always gone to the smoke and let's not start with the Irish.. The 1970s were a magnet for Welsh teachers moving to London. The London Welsh club was full of them.
Login to get fewer ads

The Welsh Brain Drain on 21:45 - Dec 29 with 1373 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 21:33 - Dec 29 by Togg

Absolutely. Young people from Wales Scotland North of England etc have always gone to the smoke and let's not start with the Irish.. The 1970s were a magnet for Welsh teachers moving to London. The London Welsh club was full of them.

Due to the internet many more jobs can now be done from locations outside of London.

You would like to think this would be what the strangely named levelling up department is all about.
Dept of silly walks springs to mind for those of us of a certaon age.
No doubt Johnson found it a funny gag.

Unfortunately it appears to be about getting money to margin constituencies to boost the Tory vote. Cynical from the off.

Guess what if we were allowed to attract businesses to wales as an indy nation then the young and gifted might stay in bigger numbers.

Some people on this thread are missing the only solution to this problem.

The Welsh Brain Drain on 22:17 - Dec 29 with 1354 viewsBoundy

The Welsh Brain Drain on 21:45 - Dec 29 by Kilkennyjack

Due to the internet many more jobs can now be done from locations outside of London.

You would like to think this would be what the strangely named levelling up department is all about.

Unfortunately it appears to be about getting money to margin constituencies to boost the Tory vote. Cynical from the off.

Guess what if we were allowed to attract businesses to wales as an indy nation then the young and gifted might stay in bigger numbers.

You last 4th paragraph ,whose stopping Wales attracting businesses at this moment in time.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The Welsh Brain Drain on 09:47 - Dec 30 with 1288 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 22:17 - Dec 29 by Boundy

You last 4th paragraph ,whose stopping Wales attracting businesses at this moment in time.

Well the European structural funding that we had before Brexit tried to address the huge wealth differences between one end of the M4 and the other.

So a business could get funding if it was going to be disadvantaged by locating in Swansea compared to say Reading.
Had to be new jobs into Wales though.
Those jobs had to last over 48 months i think.

The business could apply for a percentage of the salary bill (for 2 years) to operate in Wales, or - could apply for grants for machinary/kit. Both incentives that recognised the impact of London dominance was that Wales needed help from were it was starting from to attract business.

All this has been lost since Brexit.

Look up how Ireland has attracted businesses to see what Wales could achieve without London rule which by its very nature will never be able to put wales first.

The Welsh Brain Drain on 10:12 - Dec 30 with 1283 viewscontroversial_jack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 14:04 - Dec 29 by onehunglow

Nowt to do with me. I left 47 years ago

What's that to do with the brain drain?
The Welsh Brain Drain on 10:46 - Dec 30 with 1278 viewsbuilthjack

If I felt so negative about Wales I would move.
Why moan every effing day. Very sad.
Go to England for the bright lights, you people will still moan.
It’s in you.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Welsh Brain Drain on 11:13 - Dec 30 with 1277 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 19:27 - Dec 29 by Kilkennyjack

The Truss mini budget alone cost £30 billion.

Perspective.

Another myth started by the SNP still idiots think it is a fact.

While motivated people with brains , ambition can see Drakeford and labour have killed the Welsh economy and move for better paid jobs in the rest of the UK.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Welsh Brain Drain on 11:18 - Dec 30 with 1275 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 09:47 - Dec 30 by Kilkennyjack

Well the European structural funding that we had before Brexit tried to address the huge wealth differences between one end of the M4 and the other.

So a business could get funding if it was going to be disadvantaged by locating in Swansea compared to say Reading.
Had to be new jobs into Wales though.
Those jobs had to last over 48 months i think.

The business could apply for a percentage of the salary bill (for 2 years) to operate in Wales, or - could apply for grants for machinary/kit. Both incentives that recognised the impact of London dominance was that Wales needed help from were it was starting from to attract business.

All this has been lost since Brexit.

Look up how Ireland has attracted businesses to see what Wales could achieve without London rule which by its very nature will never be able to put wales first.

The EU regional development fund was paid for by UK taxpayers and the EU returned a small fraction of it, far less than the billions extra Wales gets under the Barnett formula.

Drakeford even turn down millions when THE UK offered to fully fund the vital M4 relief road. The Brynglas tunnels fiasco is driving away any business investment to Wales.

The Welsh Brain Drain on 11:20 - Dec 30 with 1267 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 10:46 - Dec 30 by builthjack

It’s in you.

It seems it is the Welsh residents who are negative about Drakeford's politics. Hence the record numbers signing the petition to restore 30mph default. More people have signed it than voted for Labour at the last Senedd elections.

The Welsh Brain Drain on 13:54 - Dec 30 with 1240 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Welsh Brain Drain on 21:45 - Dec 29 by Kilkennyjack

You're right about the internet, if only high sped internet was available all across Wales.

What is stopping Wales attracting more business, besides a useless devolved government?

I expected it and it happened, instead of trying to defend the Senedd or putting forward ideas the usual voices criticise those who dare to speak ot against our devolved government and suggest it is an attack on Wales.
The reality has always been that those of us who "moan" do so because Wales deserves so much better yet the Senedd supporters think it's alright for the Senedd to waste hundreds of millions because Westminster wastes more, whataboutery at its finest.

Kilky, I take it by "only solution" you mean indy, tell me then what do you make of a situation being brought about by the Senedd that pretty much guarantees indy will never happen because in 30 years more young will have left Wales and the population of "non Welsh" people in Wales will probably be around 50%, it's at 27% now and while the birth rate has slowed a lot, the immigration rate has risen.

So consider this, you often say the young will vote Wales out of the Union yet a rising number of young see their future in England and in that 30 years there may be more English living in the retirement village that Wales is becoming, than Welsh people.

Whatever you think about my views on indy/the union that is not a situation I am happy with.
The Welsh Brain Drain on 13:59 - Dec 30 with 1236 viewsonehunglow

The Welsh Brain Drain on 10:46 - Dec 30 by builthjack

It’s in you.

You're doing very well for yourself , obviously
Bright lights

The Welsh Brain Drain on 21:45 - Dec 30 with 1189 viewsmajorraglan

The Welsh Brain Drain on 11:18 - Dec 30 by felixstowe_jack

The EU regional development fund was paid for by UK taxpayers and the EU returned a small fraction of it, far less than the billions extra Wales gets under the Barnett formula.

Drakeford even turn down millions when THE UK offered to fully fund the vital M4 relief road. The Brynglas tunnels fiasco is driving away any business investment to Wales.

But we used to get the EU money on top of what we get from the Barnett formula. The EU money came from the contributions of all the EU nations.
The Welsh Brain Drain on 21:53 - Dec 30 with 1182 viewsbuilthjack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 13:59 - Dec 30 by onehunglow

You're doing very well for yourself , obviously
Bright lights

Aye. In Wales. Lovely place. England is fine too.
There are nice people everywhere though.

As I said, if I lived somewhere and moaned all day about it, I would move.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Welsh Brain Drain on 22:05 - Dec 30 with 1178 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Welsh Brain Drain on 21:45 - Dec 30 by majorraglan

But we used to get the EU money on top of what we get from the Barnett formula. The EU money came from the contributions of all the EU nations.

yet the EU money was a small fraction of what the Uk paid the EU. Europhiles often go on about EU money yet it was only around 400 million a year. I say only because when anybody points out the money the Senedd has wasted we always get the line that its tiny compared to Westminster waste and 400 million is a tiny fraction of the billions Westminster sends Wales.

In fact all of the Eu money sent to Wales, if added together doesn't amount to what Westminster sent Wales this last year.
Then there's the 155 million returned to London and the 250 million spent on CWL and one years EU money is all gone.
The Welsh Brain Drain on 22:22 - Dec 30 with 1165 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 10:12 - Dec 30 by controversial_jack

What's that to do with the brain drain?

🤣🤣

The Welsh Brain Drain on 22:31 - Dec 30 with 1160 viewsKilkennyjack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 13:54 - Dec 30 by SullutaCreturned

You're right about the internet, if only high sped internet was available all across Wales.

What is stopping Wales attracting more business, besides a useless devolved government?

I expected it and it happened, instead of trying to defend the Senedd or putting forward ideas the usual voices criticise those who dare to speak ot against our devolved government and suggest it is an attack on Wales.
The reality has always been that those of us who "moan" do so because Wales deserves so much better yet the Senedd supporters think it's alright for the Senedd to waste hundreds of millions because Westminster wastes more, whataboutery at its finest.

Kilky, I take it by "only solution" you mean indy, tell me then what do you make of a situation being brought about by the Senedd that pretty much guarantees indy will never happen because in 30 years more young will have left Wales and the population of "non Welsh" people in Wales will probably be around 50%, it's at 27% now and while the birth rate has slowed a lot, the immigration rate has risen.

So consider this, you often say the young will vote Wales out of the Union yet a rising number of young see their future in England and in that 30 years there may be more English living in the retirement village that Wales is becoming, than Welsh people.

Whatever you think about my views on indy/the union that is not a situation I am happy with.

Welsh nationalism is a modern civic nationalism, not an old fashioned ethnic nationalism.
As a bright man you should know this.
Others will chose not to understand.

I never said you attacked Wales.
I never calked you a moaner.
You just invented both.

Wales was only ever entitled to EU structural funding bevause London rule created that shocking outcome.

London rules never puts Wales needs first and our structural poverty is a direct result of this failure.

The Welsh Brain Drain on 22:43 - Dec 30 with 1147 viewsDr_Winston

The Welsh Brain Drain on 22:05 - Dec 30 by SullutaCreturned

yet the EU money was a small fraction of what the Uk paid the EU. Europhiles often go on about EU money yet it was only around 400 million a year. I say only because when anybody points out the money the Senedd has wasted we always get the line that its tiny compared to Westminster waste and 400 million is a tiny fraction of the billions Westminster sends Wales.

In fact all of the Eu money sent to Wales, if added together doesn't amount to what Westminster sent Wales this last year.
Then there's the 155 million returned to London and the 250 million spent on CWL and one years EU money is all gone.

Nothing in the UK was ever, EVER funded by the EU.

It was our own money given back to us, minus a heavy subsidy for French farmers, or Irish tax allowances.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Welsh Brain Drain on 22:56 - Dec 30 with 1134 viewsbuilthjack

The Welsh Brain Drain on 22:43 - Dec 30 by Dr_Winston

Nothing in the UK was ever, EVER funded by the EU.

It was our own money given back to us, minus a heavy subsidy for French farmers, or Irish tax allowances.

Our farmers did very very very well with EU payments.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024