Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Six Nations Thread 2019 09:19 - Jan 30 with 23264 viewsrobith

It's that time of year again

IN BEFORE - posh people taking over pubs and not drinking. It's been done lads

Intriguing year this year pre World Cup. Some talk teams should blood players, but imo that should have been done already. This is about making sure your team is battle hardened and firing.

England have absolutely lost the plot imo. Trying to play mind games with the second most professional set of players in the world and posting videos of them trying to copy Ireland's tactics waving pool noodles at people. Gonna be quite embarrassing when Ireland grind them into dust.

Ireland - last year I felt like we should be winning by default with everyone else's injuries, but in that process they seemed to find the confidence to drive on to ever new heights. Leinster are dominating the European game. We'll have a target on us and we'll relish it - but this is a test of how good we actually are and how we've manged to negate our bottle job heritage.

Wales are the quiet ones to watch. They've steadily been racking up wins, look refreshed with some new personnel, and got that Australia win monkey off their backs. I'm going to Wales Ireland final game and I'm expecting it to be the decider.

Scotland - won't win but are bloody good fun to watch. France and Italy remain rubbish.

Some of you may remember that I tried to start a rugby podcast last year - and I've put a bit of effort in to get it off the ground again this year. If Clive's ok with self promotion, you can listen to it here, or search for Numbers! in the itunes store!

https://soundcloud.com/user-152690766/3-six-nations-2019-preview
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 13:56 - Feb 4 with 2821 viewsElHoop

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 13:32 - Feb 4 by Toast_R

So many big units in the French line up, physical game which of course peters out in the second half as they just get knackered. So evident on Friday.

As for Ireland, what were they doing?
I tell you what, the same thing over and over which was playing right into England's game plan. Going for the middle every time not once aiming for the flanks. It was brain dead rigid. The better team won.

I'm not sure that the French got knackered or just lost direction completely. There didn't seem to be anyone in charge out there, pulling them back on course.

I watched their games against NZ in the summer and they played most of the 3rd test with 14 men and didn't look tired against a far better team than Wales. You and everyone else might be right and they're rubbish, unfit and they won't turn up on Sunday - but I'm not convinced. This will be tough enough I reckon.

https://rugby365.com/countries/france/live-now-new-zealand-v-france-2
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 14:05 - Feb 4 with 2808 viewsPhildo

So many big units in the French line up, physical game which of course peters out in the second half as they just get knackered. So evident on Friday.

I tell you what, the same thing over and over which was playing right into England's game plan. Going for the middle every time not once aiming for the flanks. It was brain dead rigid. The better team won.

They can be a bit narrow and were turned by the targeting of Earls who was seen as the weaker wing. They were slow to adapt and Murray had a stinker - Marmion was better against the all-blacks when he was basically mimicking Murray's style. That said they failed to go to any sort of plan b. England well deserved winners. Coaches earn their money in Rugby these days not by gobbing off in the media but in prepping very detailed game plans- which can leave players looking quite straight jacketed at times when those plans fail.

The French pack really look like they arrived from the pub 10 minutes before kick off. A mate texted me at H/T to say France have won and I replied saying - nah they will do something stupid in a minute.

Wales and Scotland both looked pretty awful to me but will probably improve I guess.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 14:35 - Feb 4 with 2777 viewsrobith

This was what was so dispiriting was that England were always looking for the big hit, meaning they were actually missing quite a few tackles. But only Ringrose and Ryan looked to try and take a step to get an edge on.

TBH though going wide wasn't the answer - combination of England's line speed and Murray and Sexton looking like the NBA players in Space Jam when they have their abilities stolen. That might be the worst Murray has played in his career. The passing wasn't crisp enough meaning the second receiver had a white wall on them every single time. We really lacked composure. England completely out-Ireland-ed us!

We missed Henderson and Leavy much more than I thought we would.

Searching for a positive on what was a thoroughly miserable evening, thankfully this has happened now rather than in the World Cup - as with Argentina in 2015. We're likely to face South Africa in the Quarters - better for this to happened now and us think a solution that to get caught cold there. But still, absolutely gutted because it makes it pretty much impossible for us to win the title, before we even get to how much the manner of the defeat hurts.

Bugger.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 14:52 - Feb 4 with 2756 viewsSnipper

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 14:35 - Feb 4 by robith

This was what was so dispiriting was that England were always looking for the big hit, meaning they were actually missing quite a few tackles. But only Ringrose and Ryan looked to try and take a step to get an edge on.

TBH though going wide wasn't the answer - combination of England's line speed and Murray and Sexton looking like the NBA players in Space Jam when they have their abilities stolen. That might be the worst Murray has played in his career. The passing wasn't crisp enough meaning the second receiver had a white wall on them every single time. We really lacked composure. England completely out-Ireland-ed us!

Searching for a positive on what was a thoroughly miserable evening, thankfully this has happened now rather than in the World Cup - as with Argentina in 2015. We're likely to face South Africa in the Quarters - better for this to happened now and us think a solution that to get caught cold there. But still, absolutely gutted because it makes it pretty much impossible for us to win the title, before we even get to how much the manner of the defeat hurts.

Bugger.

robith, have you got the groups and the potential quarter final/semi final games by any chance?

Thanks in advance.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 14:54 - Feb 4 with 2755 viewsrobith

Also CJ Stander apparently played 62 minutes with a fractured eye socket and a broken cheekbone. I feel bad for criticising his carrying now
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 15:00 - Feb 4 with 2742 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 14:52 - Feb 4 by Snipper

robith, have you got the groups and the potential quarter final/semi final games by any chance?

Thanks in advance.

Yep

So I'd have the quarters as

Sem final 1 side:
Eng vs Wales
NZ vs Scotland

Semi Final 2 side:
Australia vs France
Ireland vs South Africa
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 15:31 - Feb 4 with 2722 viewsSnipper

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 15:00 - Feb 4 by robith

Yep

Sem final 1 side:
Eng vs Wales
NZ vs Scotland

Semi Final 2 side:
Australia vs France
Ireland vs South Africa

Cheers fella.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 16:01 - Feb 4 with 2675 viewsSimonJames

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 15:00 - Feb 4 by robith

Yep

Sem final 1 side:
Eng vs Wales
NZ vs Scotland

Semi Final 2 side:
Australia vs France
Ireland vs South Africa

I hope Georgia turn Wales over this time, like they would have done in 2017 if Wales hadn't claimed that Leon Brown wasn't fit to return to the scrum.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Login to get fewer ads

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 16:24 - Feb 4 with 2669 viewsElHoop

Unfortunately England don't win World Cups without Uruguay in their group.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:10 - Feb 4 with 2624 viewsdubaistu

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 14:35 - Feb 4 by robith

Bugger.

I'd happily place £100 here Ireland won't beat SA in the WC. If NZ don't win it then I can only see SA doing it.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 20:33 - Feb 4 with 2532 viewsToast_R

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:10 - Feb 4 by dubaistu

I'd happily place £100 here Ireland won't beat SA in the WC. If NZ don't win it then I can only see SA doing it.

SA no chance. Too much political involvement in team selection.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 23:59 - Feb 4 with 2452 viewsbob566

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:10 - Feb 4 by dubaistu

Wouldnt write off ireland yet. They had injuries v england. Theyre better than SA.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 00:08 - Feb 5 with 2450 viewsjohncharles

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 13:56 - Feb 4 by ElHoop

I'm not sure that the French got knackered or just lost direction completely. There didn't seem to be anyone in charge out there, pulling them back on course.

I watched their games against NZ in the summer and they played most of the 3rd test with 14 men and didn't look tired against a far better team than Wales. You and everyone else might be right and they're rubbish, unfit and they won't turn up on Sunday - but I'm not convinced. This will be tough enough I reckon.

https://rugby365.com/countries/france/live-now-new-zealand-v-france-2

It’s the way God planned it, it’s the way God meantit to be.

Strong and stable my arse.

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 00:52 - Feb 5 with 2441 viewsbob566

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 00:08 - Feb 5 by johncharles

It’s the way God planned it, it’s the way God meantit to be.

I think rugby more than most sports is decided by injuries. England had a full squad bar lansbury. Ireland had a few players out. Its fine margins. Wales won but boy was it handed to them by french errors. Come world cup i expect ireland still to be strongest of the home nations with wales and england not far behind
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 02:43 - Feb 5 with 2422 viewsderbyhoop

How much were England improved by having the Vunipola brothers and Tuilaga playing?

Maka was MOM, but there were big hits all over the field and the line speed was frighteningly quick.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 07:37 - Feb 5 with 2362 viewsDiscodroids

Not too sure about England having a full squad to choose from and missing only one player from the Team at Dubin

I'm no 5th dan shaolin monk high sensei of Rugby union , League being my sport, but some 5 players in Ben Teo, Sam Underhill, Dylan Hartley, Anthony Watson and Jonathon Joseph would, i'm sure, be considered by many England fans to be first team/Matchday squad players. They certainly would be in mine.

I think Launchbury was ok to play on saturday, just not selected and will probably come in for Itoje who looks like he's out for the remainder of the 6 nations. A huge loss.

in addition, i think another 4 players ; Brad Shields, Haskell, Robshaw and Cokanasiga are all injured and would be pushing for Matchday squad places also. imo.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 7:51]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 07:39 - Feb 5 with 2365 viewsDixie_CT

England’s win was even better considering some of the refs decisions.

Slade/North & Huget/Stockdale some interesting similarities between the English and Welsh wins

A lot of rugby to be played between now and mid-March. Great start!
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 09:28 - Feb 5 with 2308 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 07:37 - Feb 5 by Discodroids

Not too sure about England having a full squad to choose from and missing only one player from the Team at Dubin

I'm no 5th dan shaolin monk high sensei of Rugby union , League being my sport, but some 5 players in Ben Teo, Sam Underhill, Dylan Hartley, Anthony Watson and Jonathon Joseph would, i'm sure, be considered by many England fans to be first team/Matchday squad players. They certainly would be in mine.

I think Launchbury was ok to play on saturday, just not selected and will probably come in for Itoje who looks like he's out for the remainder of the 6 nations. A huge loss.

in addition, i think another 4 players ; Brad Shields, Haskell, Robshaw and Cokanasiga are all injured and would be pushing for Matchday squad places also. imo.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2019 7:51]

Haskell is semi retired and Robshaw probably isn't at the standard of the players who've replaced him any more.

Of the original players listed I'd say only Underhill would have claims to be better than the team that started (and those who did - Wilson and Curry had big auld games). Hartley's been trading off reputation only for about 3 years now.

This was definitely the strongest team Jones has been able to call for a while. Billy V alone totally transform them as an attacking entity
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 18:15 - Feb 5 with 2214 viewsdubaistu

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 00:52 - Feb 5 by bob566

I think rugby more than most sports is decided by injuries. England had a full squad bar lansbury. Ireland had a few players out. Its fine margins. Wales won but boy was it handed to them by french errors. Come world cup i expect ireland still to be strongest of the home nations with wales and england not far behind

Antony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Joe Launchbury, Dylan Hartley, Ben Teo.....????
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 16:12 - Feb 8 with 2097 viewsDiscodroids

Courtney Laws in for Mario Itoje and Chris Ashton in forJack Nowel, who is benched. Ellis Genge and Harry williams dropped out completely from the squad. Launchbury on the bench.. Big Fan Of Laws but Itoje is Especial. Bastareaud back for the french. Can see this going very very close, Razor thin.

Like the old fuker i am i've got the Adnams southwold dry hopped lager in for sunday. Haven't a clue what 'm watching half the time but it's ambrosial to watch.

The Australian NRL In a month as well, It's all too much excitement Man.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2019 16:15]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 15:50 - Feb 10 with 1987 viewsDiscodroids

truly i know more about Umayyad Dynasty Islamic Textile Studies than i do rugby union.

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 15:59 - Feb 10 with 1974 viewsLblock

A game I detested for years

As the misguidance of yoof slips away the enjoyment of wugger increases

Going well so far

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 16:29 - Feb 10 with 1958 viewsToast_R

France have been plop. England - sensational.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 16:48 - Feb 10 with 1947 viewsstowmarketrange

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 16:29 - Feb 10 by Toast_R

France have been plop. England - sensational.

What a day.Stuffing the French and the scum getting tonked.There is a god after all.
Six Nations Thread 2019 on 16:57 - Feb 10 with 1934 viewsflynnbo

Six Nations Thread 2019 on 16:48 - Feb 10 by stowmarketrange

What a day.Stuffing the French and the scum getting tonked.There is a god after all.

Some early wickets in the cricket would round off a fine day!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024