Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP 07:01 - Apr 4 with 2056849 viewsLblock

Here I am starting this from my recovery bed and no clue how to link tunes on an iPhone!

Will stick on my offerings from a PC later unless the other knuckles thread is the preference to use?

House classics and dancey dazzlers only, no hijacking from suicide rock please!

In the beginning there was jack.......

Been meaning to update for years.
Can only be one.......

[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 11:28]

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 08:50 - Jun 16 with 1193 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 02:42 - Jun 16 by QPsyR

Mate me too, I couldn't condone house or acid house, my last 12'' maybe late 87 was Starsky and Hutch, then as well as Oochy Koochy, i think it was these 3 lol or 303 and then well we allknow the score lol

Great selection. Acieeeeeed

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 10:13 - Jun 16 with 1177 viewsLblock

One for BrixtonR

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 10:17 - Jun 16 with 1172 viewsngbqpr

Not sure if fellow Frankies have been following the story on the news of the UK journalist missing in the Amazon, Dom Phillips...or if you have, realised it was the same Dom who edited Mixmag throughout the 90s.

Sadly, his passing has been confirmed today. Murdered doing his job, while trying to give a voice to Brazil's indigenous tribes, and reveal the scale of the damaging and illegal activities of ruthless criminal gangs in the region.

I worked with Dom for many years, and you couldn't meet a lovelier bloke.

My favourite Mixmag cover strapline of his was on the 1996 review of the year issue - a great picture of Underworld's Karl Hyde, with the words:

"1996. everything went nuclear."

Shine on Dom - this one's for you.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 10:36 - Jun 16 with 1158 viewsPunteR

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 10:17 - Jun 16 by ngbqpr

Not sure if fellow Frankies have been following the story on the news of the UK journalist missing in the Amazon, Dom Phillips...or if you have, realised it was the same Dom who edited Mixmag throughout the 90s.

Sadly, his passing has been confirmed today. Murdered doing his job, while trying to give a voice to Brazil's indigenous tribes, and reveal the scale of the damaging and illegal activities of ruthless criminal gangs in the region.

My favourite Mixmag cover strapline of his was on the 1996 review of the year issue - a great picture of Underworld's Karl Hyde, with the words:

This is sad news. RIP Dom Philips.
Goes without saying really how influential mixmag was back in pre Internet days. Between Mixmag and DJmag they were of a few credible sources of club and rave culture and music. I've still got loads of the free CDs that mixmag generously supplied.
Thoughts are with his family and friends, and to you Nick. X

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 10:55 - Jun 16 with 1156 viewsOutWestR

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 10:36 - Jun 16 by PunteR

This is sad news. RIP Dom Philips.
Goes without saying really how influential mixmag was back in pre Internet days. Between Mixmag and DJmag they were of a few credible sources of club and rave culture and music. I've still got loads of the free CDs that mixmag generously supplied.
Thoughts are with his family and friends, and to you Nick. X

He also published a brilliant book, Superstar DJs, which if you haven’t read, I really recommend it.

RIP Dom
The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 11:05 - Jun 16 with 1154 viewsngbqpr

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 10:55 - Jun 16 by OutWestR

He also published a brilliant book, Superstar DJs, which if you haven’t read, I really recommend it.

RIP Dom

Not sure where 'out west' you are, but he started off as Mixmag's Bristol & west country correspondent

Agreed re the book!

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 11:23 - Jun 16 with 1147 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Yes, I saw your post on FB Nick and realised it was the same one as had been on the news. I was really sorry to hear that awful news.
The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 11:38 - Jun 16 with 1134 viewsOutWestR

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 11:05 - Jun 16 by ngbqpr

Not sure where 'out west' you are, but he started off as Mixmag's Bristol & west country correspondent

Agreed re the book!

I didn't know that. I'm in Bath now, but in London throughout the 90s.
Login to get fewer ads

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 11:41 - Jun 16 with 1133 viewsDiscodroids

Rip Dom. Mixmag was my bible between 1995 and 1999. I even bought the black and white pamphlet 'Mixmag update' which came out on the Wednesday.

'Pezz' Prog house reviews of 3 beat records, was my favourite article in mixmag.

Always remember the 'Lost in bass' cover with the Cosmonaut space walking.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 12:22 - Jun 16 with 1122 viewsLblock

I didn’t know that and thanks for sharing.

Tragic situation and I did see something that this could be an ordered hit as he was upsetting some influential people / gangsters in the area of logging and destruction of “the worlds lungs”.

As people have already said copies of Mixmag and DJ were must reads back then and always gave you an urge to visit other clubs in other towns and cities. I was a magazine geek back then and used to buy them regularly along with The Face and then onto GQ, FHM and Loaded.

Mixmag was the business on music with DJ mag a very close second

RIP Mr Phillips and condolences to his friends and family
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 12:23]

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 13:30 - Jun 16 with 1085 viewsPunteR

This is a good interview with Dom courtesy of Progressive House Classics on FB.
Dom coined the term " Progressive" .
https://www.progressivehouseclassics.com/post/defining-moments-dom-phillips

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 18:29 - Jun 16 with 1051 viewspaulparker

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 18:37 - Jun 16 with 1049 viewspaulparker

Summer 97 choon

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 18:52 - Jun 16 with 1041 viewsPunteR

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 20:25 - Jun 16 with 1027 viewsLblock

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 18:29 - Jun 16 by paulparker

Class

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 20:26 - Jun 16 with 1026 viewsLblock

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 18:52 - Jun 16 by PunteR

Always reminds me of a football tour to Dublin.
Very little football played but many clubs and bars toured

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 20:51 - Jun 16 with 1018 viewsLblock

G Park Esquire, NYE 2020.... top stuff

I feel a day of garden music coming on tomorrow, hope the neighbours are ready for it.

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 07:01 - Jun 17 with 1000 viewsW13R

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 20:51 - Jun 16 by Lblock

G Park Esquire, NYE 2020.... top stuff

I feel a day of garden music coming on tomorrow, hope the neighbours are ready for it.

Tears on loop?
The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 08:34 - Jun 17 with 989 viewsLblock

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 07:01 - Jun 17 by W13R

Tears on loop?

Coach trips only

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 08:35 - Jun 17 with 986 viewsLblock

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 08:37 - Jun 17 with 985 viewsLblock

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 09:07 - Jun 17 with 984 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 08:37 - Jun 17 by Lblock

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 12:41 - Jun 17 with 969 viewsLblock

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 18:37 - Jun 16 by paulparker

Summer 97 choon

Might give that one a rub later

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 12:45 - Jun 17 with 963 viewsLblock

The Frankie Friday Music Thread.....RIP on 12:47 - Jun 17 with 961 viewsLblock

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024