Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? 23:51 - Apr 7 with 7190 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

Someone put a load of 'QPR in the 80's' photos on Twitter earlier.

In this one, I recognise Tommy Doc & Gary Micklewhite. But who is the dark haired player?

Anyone know, please?

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 01:54 - Apr 8 with 7105 viewsqprjeff1882

Would that be David Pizanti. Sure it is.
Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 07:57 - Apr 8 with 6950 viewsElHoop

Possibly Peter Davidson, signed at around the same time as Micklewhite, but I have no idea what he looked like as he only played once.
Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 08:05 - Apr 8 with 6938 viewsCamberleyR

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 01:54 - Apr 8 by qprjeff1882

Would that be David Pizanti. Sure it is.

No it isn't Pizanti. He didn't sign for us until 1987. That photo was taken sometime in the summer of 1979 just after Docherty was appointed.

He signed Gary Micklewhite from Man Utd in July 1979. I'm not sure who the other player is but my guess, looking at the players Docherty signed in that close season, is Martyn Rogers who he also signed from Man U a couple of weeks after Micklewhite.

It might have been one of those publicity shots in the papers (when they were interested in showing anything outside the top division) with the possible headline "Doc makes double United swoop" or something like that.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 08:11 - Apr 8 with 6929 viewsCamberleyR

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 07:57 - Apr 8 by ElHoop

Possibly Peter Davidson, signed at around the same time as Micklewhite, but I have no idea what he looked like as he only played once.

That would have been my guess other than Martyn Rogers whose Rs career was equally brief (2 appearances at the end of the 79-80 season). Davidson, Rogers and Micklewhite were all signed at roughly the same time.

Just read Rogers' wiki article. Found dead in his car possibly committing suicide. Only 32.

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 08:12 - Apr 8 with 6922 viewsTacticalR

CamberleyR looks right
http://www.united.no/spillere/martyn-rogers/
[Post edited 8 Apr 2014 8:12]

Air hostess clique

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 08:18 - Apr 8 with 6902 viewsbosh67

I was a junior at the club from 81-82 and bizarrely the player on the left looks just like I did then. Seriously weird. Even stranger is that Gary M looks like my aunt in that picture.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 09:39 - Apr 8 with 6768 viewsTheBlob

Why have the pair of them been handcuffed?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 09:50 - Apr 8 with 6729 viewsDiscodroid

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 08:11 - Apr 8 by CamberleyR

That would have been my guess other than Martyn Rogers whose Rs career was equally brief (2 appearances at the end of the 79-80 season). Davidson, Rogers and Micklewhite were all signed at roughly the same time.

Just read Rogers' wiki article. Found dead in his car possibly committing suicide. Only 32.

i didnt know that mate..terrible.

on a lighter note, our chunky thighed gary looks like old george has just dropped him off in his sidecar...yootha joyce/mildred.

[Post edited 8 Apr 2014 9:54]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Login to get fewer ads

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 09:52 - Apr 8 with 6725 viewsQPR442

looks like Mark Falco the forward we got from Spurs
Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 10:53 - Apr 8 with 6648 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

From RedCafe.net in 2007

Does anyone have any info on the late Martyn Rogers. He played one game for United (a 4-0 defeat by West Brom in December 1977) He was released and joined QPR, managed by Tommy Docherty. He only made 2 appearances for them and died in 1992, aged just 32.
Martyn was signed by the Doc in 1975 and was given his debut by Dave Sexton. He and Gary Micklewhite were both released by Sexton and joined Docherty at QPR for a couple of years. Martyn then followed Tommy Docherty to Sydney Olympic in the early 1980's and spent 6 seasons in Australia......upon returning to the UK in the late 1980's he played locally in the Nottingham area before sadly taking his own life in 1992........

He was a decent, steady fullback who was comfortable with both feet, read the game well and had good pace.
Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 11:07 - Apr 8 with 6611 viewsW7Ranger

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 09:52 - Apr 8 by QPR442

No he doesn't. His nose is in the middle of his face for a start!
Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 11:28 - Apr 8 with 6567 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 09:50 - Apr 8 by Discodroid

i didnt know that mate..terrible.

on a lighter note, our chunky thighed gary looks like old george has just dropped him off in his sidecar...yootha joyce/mildred.

[Post edited 8 Apr 2014 9:54]

That wanstill gives me the fear!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 11:50 - Apr 8 with 6528 viewsTonto

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 09:52 - Apr 8 by QPR442

not even close!

and again completly the wrong time - by about a decade...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 12:09 - Apr 8 with 6490 viewspaulparker

Falco was signed by Jim Smith in 87
Pizanti again signed by Jim Smith in 87
Gary Mickwhite looks like gail platt

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 12:14 - Apr 8 with 6476 viewsNathanNI

What a cracking kit we had back then.
Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 12:59 - Apr 8 with 6401 viewsQPR442

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 11:50 - Apr 8 by Tonto

not even close!

and again completly the wrong time - by about a decade...

A decade? If we are going by your time scale it could be Charlie Austin.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2014 13:00]
Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 13:47 - Apr 8 with 6351 viewsspiritofshittu

Steve Burke
Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 19:00 - Apr 8 with 6136 viewsCamberleyR

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 13:47 - Apr 8 by spiritofshittu

Steve Burke

Definitely not Steve Burke.

Burke wasn't signed until September 1979 anyway so would have seemed a strange publicity shot alongside a player signed two months previously.

Can anyone identify the mystery man, please? on 19:15 - Apr 8 with 6093 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

Thanks, CamberleyR, I think you're right with Martyn Rogers. And thanks to TacticalR for the link.

Having found out who he was, it quite upset me to hear what happened to him. Poor guy!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024