Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed 11:39 - May 20 with 14748 viewsNorthernr

Great response to the 1967 plea, and there will be a massive feature with all of that in published later tonight.
Pressing on, hoping to run a similar piece on Wednesday evening about the 1982 cup final. So if you were there and can share experiences of the day, the replay, the ticket buying situation, the cup run, the players, the management, any stories you have basically, they'd be appreciated....

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 16:52 - May 20 with 2567 viewssotonsuperhoop

Yeah I was at both matches, but had to plead with the the club to get tickets for the Sat.

From what I remember we had to present ticket stubs or vouchers to get a ticket which had to include a Mon night game which I think was against Orient and only 10K turned up. I sent all my stubs in but got no ticket. I wrote to the box office and asked how did 25k tickets sell out based on stubs that included that game, I had sent mine in but was unsuccessful. Two days later two tickets arrived but no explanation!

Great day out just remember arriving at Wembley Park having travelled up from Kent and me and my brother in hoops tops walking all the way down Wembley way in amoungst the Tottenham fans, a bit scary!

The game itself was great and felt sick after Spurs scored. I was in a upper tier behind the goal and the whole place fell silent. I started singing and carried on singing for 5 mins on my own , then all or a sudden everyone else joined in Fenwick scored and this guy in front of me turned around lifted me up above his shoulders shouting 'you got us that goal, you got us that goal' he then dropped me, picked me up and planted the biggest kiss i'd experienced to that date, right on my cheek!!

Got a slap from a few Spurs fans on the way out who were waiting at the foot of the staircase but gave as good as i got.

Had to go back to school on the Monday when tickets went on sale for the replay and my brother was due to travel back to uni in Manchester. Unbeknown to me he queued for three hours at LR to get me two replay tickets before heading up north. I got home from school and there were the tickets on the kitchen table, legend!

Went to the replay with my best mate, a West Ham fan and after got seriously wasted in a bar in Villiers street before heading home from Charing Cross.

One lasting memory was Tony Currie takling Hoddle on the edge of our box, clearing the ball and then turning to the QPR fans with a fisted salute screaming 'come on'

Two great games and two great days out
[Post edited 20 May 2014 16:59]
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 17:25 - May 20 with 2532 viewsthemodfather

for the 82 final, no ticket arrived, i'd sent the postal order and SAE,on the thursday, whilst at school ( haverstock, chalk farm ) the tannoy called my name to go to the head's office, gulp...what had i done now??
i was at the secretary's door and was told i had a phone call, lost now i pick up the phone and it's my mum...she'd been on the phone to qpr and they had my ticket there, and had lost the SAE, could o go and collect? er, let me think....yes i can. with ticket in hand it was a relief....not like now STILL WAITING!
the game, well....there seemed loads of spurs, stories of jim gregory selling some of ours to them for a lump sum??
a dire game really ( many tv companies refused to show the replay) hoddle scored and many thought that's that...spurs then were a good side, we were old div 2 and came 5th that year...a throw in from sir stainrod, a classic flick on by sir hazell and lord fenwick headed home, deep joy.....i recall a mob of spurs came to the qpr turnstiles before the game, looking for "chelsea" and a mass brawl kicked off....the replay, sticks with me cos of the ref and the "pen" and "disallowed" goal, qpr were all over spurs after they took the lead, hoddle pen....qpr took the game to them and gregory chipped clemence, it clipped the bar and hoddle, yes he cleared it off the line! stainrod was flat out in the box, micklewhite scored and we went mad....but not given, offisde, well stainrod was not in the 6 yr box and was to the side??? then later, a foul in the box, penalty surely, the linesman flagged it and kept his flag across his chest for ages...mr white ignored him, later rumours of dodgy deals and he was struck off....we lost 1-0...it hurt, then in the lower tier a mass brawl, i saw some lads pull blades and dive down, i went home asap after that....on the tube home i saw a group of spurs men, surround a qpr family in colours, the dad was smiling but drunk huge men weren't his cup of tea with kids..i got out my qpr flag and started "we'll be back again next year" my 3 mates joined in and the spurs fellas left the family alone.
we didn't go back to wembley the next year but won the div 2 title instead.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 17:26 - May 20 with 2532 viewsElHoop

Did anyone else go to the Crown and Sceptre after the semi-final and see Currie, Gillard and Bowles pulling pints behind the bar for a while? Stan wasn't even playing for us then.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 17:54 - May 20 with 2509 viewsHamtuneR

Getting a tickets for the 82 final was not going to be easy for me. I moved from London in 1977, up to Yorkshire and left behind my Rangers season ticket, as keeping it on was just not viable. I managed to visit LR on my visits back to see parents, and of course attended away games oop north. I recall that a ballot was held for tickets but I was unsuccessful and resigned myself to the distinct possibility that I would miss the match. A Sheffield United supporting neighbour suggested that I approach the Blades and ask if any tickets could be obtained from them. I rang up but no luck, same at Wednesday and Rotherham. I then remembered that I had visited Barnsley Supporters Club on business a few months before, so hot footed it up there in the hope that I might just find someone who would sell me their ticket, if one existed. I stood at the bar and asked the steward if anyone had a spare ticket, whereupon the guy standing next to me turned around and said 'you can have mine-I'm the club groundsman and I don't want to go to an all-London final'. He only wanted the face value, which was £16. I asked if I could possibly get another two and he told me he would ask around and to come back the next day. I returned the following morning and he produced three tickets; his and two belonging to Barnsley players, one of whom was Ronnie Glavin. I stuck 48 quid in his hand and left with three passports to Wembley heaven. So myself, twin brother and Wembley-dwelling mate got to see the match. We felt rather weird, bedecked in Rangers' colours whilst sitting amongst the Yorkshire contingent in the stands. The atmosphere wasn't quite what it was on the terraces with the Rangers fans. Sadly I couldn't make it down to the replay but watched the game on telly in Sheffield, proudly wearing my red Wembley match shirt.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 18:24 - May 20 with 2471 viewshoopstilidie

Missed the final, went to the replay, stood in the Spurs end as it was the only ticket I could get, it was advertised on a card in a newsagent's window.
We were robbed, the Spurs fans around me agreed.
Walking down Wembley Way singing "we're proud of you Rangers", never before have I felt so completely 'as one' with my club as I did then.
If Allen had recovered enough to play in the replay I think we'd have had too much for them, we were by far the better side.

*Bought a rosette which very weirdly had a picture of Noddy Holder underneath the R's badge.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 18:32]

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed (n/t) on 18:49 - May 20 with 2454 viewsmurge

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed (n/t) on 18:49 - May 20 with 2454 viewsmurge

Login to get fewer ads

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed (n/t) on 18:50 - May 20 with 2454 viewsmurge

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 20:12 - May 20 with 2383 viewsderbyhoop

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 12:53 - May 20 by BostonR

I was at both games

Walked to the first game from Ladbroke Grove (and walked back)! Spurs fans had about 70% of the tickets in the first game and were standing below the R's fans.

However, in the replay it was 50-50 in terms of attendance. Unfortuantely, in the first game it turned very ugly in the R's end with different factions from Ladbroke Grove and Shepherds Bush kicking off! There were a number of fires in the terracing if I remember well.

In the first game Spurs really should have been out of sight but a very young R's keeper Peter Hucker, was amazing on the day. I think he got MOM. Having said that, our equaliser was straight from the training ground and Mr Venables written all over it. Stainrod long throw, Bob Hazell near post flick-on and a great finish by Fenwick. We really stunned Spurs.

In the replay, it was a different game. I actually thought we were the better side and took a very good Spurs team to the wire. Gregory hit the bar, Stainrod should have had a couple and Hazell and Fenwick were rock-solid.

The 82 team do not get enough credit. They were a very good side and were managed by the most promising manager in the game, Terry Venables who eventually went onto to manage Barcelona.

Been an R's fan for over 45yrs and have watched them in three finals FA Cup, Milk Cup and the Play-off in Cardiff which we all lost. Unfortunately, I am in the US on Sat (I cant tell you how hard it is to say that) but my two boy's reckon it is a lucky omen - no Dad at the Final means a win!

I will be thinking about every R's fan on Saturday and wish you all the best. Whilst, I can be criticla of the team I have blue and white hoops in my blood. C'mon you R's!!!!

Very similar for me, Boston. Hucker kept us in the first game. Fenwick's equaliser sent us mental. Always thought it was the last minute of extra time , but stats said 115 minutes. The last 5 must have passed in a blur. We were the better side in the replay but just couldn't score. Although we eventually lost the team did us proud.
I remember a banner that said "QPR unbeaten at Wembley" because Spurs had lost in the League Cup final in March. Also "Hazell's the bobby who locks up Crooks".

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 20:17 - May 20 with 2378 viewsTacticalR

In the semi-final when we scored we all went mental on the North Bank, but I didn't have a clue how we'd scored until I got home and found out that the ball had hit Clive Allen's knee.

I can't remember how I got the final tickets. Going from what's been said already I must have got them because I'd been to the semi-final.

In the final, once Allen was out I didn't think we'd win, and I didn't think we'd win the replay if we couldn't win the final first time round. Lots of nastiness around with Spurs fans trying to pick fights.

Air hostess clique

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 20:20 - May 20 with 2372 viewsqueensparker

This is a brilliant thread.

Not much to add as I was way too young to be allowed to go, but I'll never forget playing in our street in Acton after the semi in 1982 and seeing this car coming weaving down the road beeping its horn. My Dad, uncle and their mates were all hanging out the windows shouting their heads off, screeched up, jumped out and starting dancing in the street and hugging me and all my little mates. I'd never seen the old man so happy before, it was probably the moment I really got into QPR.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed (n/t) on 20:21 - May 20 with 2371 viewsmurge

I remember that by the time we had beaten Middlesborough in the 3rd round replay , due to weather postponements, we already knew that after Blackpool we had Grimsby at home and would be then 1 game away from the semis. Felt confident that with our team , our manager and our artificial pitch we were on our way to Wembley. Teams found our pitch " difficult " but with Tony Currie in our side we had the one player who could hit a long ball and make the ball stand up rather than run out of play after one bounce . Having disposed of both Grimsby and Crystal Palace in tense scrappy games on our pitch we rolled onto our Highbury semifinal.The boys were singing about turning The North Bank into a lavatory and indeed it was so crammed that I suspect that there were a few warm wet legs that afternoon
Took my mrs to the game and saw a very happy David Bedford ( the athlete ) sinking a pint or 2. When Clive scored my mrs disappeared down the terraces. I don't recall there being any other females on The North Bank that day , it certainly wasn't a venue designed for women. The crush was so great you could lift your feet off the ground and just go with the sway.Having rescued my mrs from exuberant fans delighted to celebrate the goal with the only female to hand we sang and chanted the names of our team to the final whistle. We were back at Wembley !!! The drive back to West London and The Crown and Sceptre was a cavalcade of cars honking and Fans hanging out of them chanting along the Marylebone Rd.
For the final I had arranged to meet a mate from my Sunday football team at some pub whose name I can't recall at the northern end of the Ealing Rd. He was a Spuds supporter and the venue was chosen as it probably was a non partisan venue where we could have a quiet pint before going our separate ways. I had pushed the boat for wearing my colours that day right down to a knitted bobble hat bought when pissed from the club shop.The pub had one huge cavernous bar and when I walked in it was shoulder to shoulder with Spuds. My mate who ( at a later date ) admitted he was there, hid in the gents when he saw me. I couldn't walk out without looking like a prick ( although my clobber sure pointed to that ) so ordered a pint of Pride and tried to drink it as nonchalantly, but swiftly as possible whilst the whole pub sang " who the f..., who the f..., who the f..., are you ?"
The match itself was a fairly dull affair, ruined by the bad injury to our predatory striker after what only seemed seconds. Our equaliser was a much used training ground affair . Long throw from Simon Stainrod onto Bobby Hazell's head , flicked onto the far post where Terry Fenwick was waiting. All hell broke loose as The Spuds had been already singing victory songs. The ones below us at the old scoreboard end were showered with abuse and detritus.Happy Days .
The replay was a much better game apart from Tony Currie 's ( acting captain that day )mistimed tackle. We were the better side, playing great football. Gary Micklewhite had a goal ruled out just before half time. ( I 'm still not sure why .) and John Gregory had a volley onto the bar just in front of us. Iwas celebrating a goal as it came off the bar. Simon Stainrod had chances that he would normally have buried but the gods weren't with us that day.
As we trod home I wasn't too disheartened because I knew we had a good young improving team led by the best young coach/ manager in The Football League. Things could only get better. Which it did. Promotion as league winners and then qualification for the Uefa Cup. C'mon U Rs!!!

ps sorry about previous attempts . I'm an idiot and a luddite.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 20:22]
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 20:23 - May 20 with 2363 viewsmurge

I remember that by the time we had beaten Middlesborough in the 3rd round replay , due to weather postponements, we already knew that after Blackpool we had Grimsby at home and would be then 1 game away from the semis. Felt confident that with our team , our manager and our artificial pitch we were on our way to Wembley. Teams found our pitch " difficult " but with Tony Currie in our side we had the one player who could hit a long ball and make the ball stand up rather than run out of play after one bounce . Having disposed of both Grimsby and Crystal Palace in tense scrappy games on our pitch we rolled onto our Highbury semifinal.The boys were singing about turning The North Bank into a lavatory and indeed it was so crammed that I suspect that there were a few warm wet legs that afternoon
Took my mrs to the game and saw a very happy David Bedford ( the athlete ) sinking a pint or 2. When Clive scored my mrs disappeared down the terraces. I don't recall there being any other females on The North Bank that day , it certainly wasn't a venue designed for women. The crush was so great you could lift your feet off the ground and just go with the sway.Having rescued my mrs from exuberant fans delighted to celebrate the goal with the only female to hand we sang and chanted the names of our team to the final whistle. We were back at Wembley !!! The drive back to West London and The Crown and Sceptre was a cavalcade of cars honking and Fans hanging out of them chanting along the Marylebone Rd.
For the final I had arranged to meet a mate from my Sunday football team at some pub whose name I can't recall at the northern end of the Ealing Rd. He was a Spuds supporter and the venue was chosen as it probably was a non partisan venue where we could have a quiet pint before going our separate ways. I had pushed the boat for wearing my colours that day right down to a knitted bobble hat bought when pissed from the club shop.The pub had one huge cavernous bar and when I walked in it was shoulder to shoulder with Spuds. My mate who ( at a later date ) admitted he was there, hid in the gents when he saw me. I couldn't walk out without looking like a prick ( although my clobber sure pointed to that ) so ordered a pint of Pride and tried to drink it as nonchalantly, but swiftly as possible whilst the whole pub sang " who the f..., who the f..., who the f..., are you ?"
The match itself was a fairly dull affair, ruined by the bad injury to our predatory striker after what only seemed seconds. Our equaliser was a much used training ground affair . Long throw from Simon Stainrod onto Bobby Hazell's head , flicked onto the far post where Terry Fenwick was waiting. All hell broke loose as The Spuds had been already singing victory songs. The ones below us at the old scoreboard end were showered with abuse and detritus.Happy Days .
The replay was a much better game apart from Tony Currie 's ( acting captain that day )mistimed tackle. We were the better side, playing great football. Gary Micklewhite had a goal ruled out just before half time. ( I 'm still not sure why .) and John Gregory had a volley onto the bar just in front of us. Iwas celebrating a goal as it came off the bar. Simon Stainrod had chances that he would normally have buried but the gods weren't with us that day.
As we trod home I wasn't too disheartened because I knew we had a good young improving team led by the best young coach/ manager in The Football League. Things could only get better. Which it did. Promotion as league winners and then qualification for the Uefa Cup. C'mon U Rs!!!

ps sorry about previous attempts . I'm an idiot and a luddite.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 20:42 - May 20 with 2242 viewsbollockchops

the only game i didnt go to was Boro away,but the actual final we got there late so we where right at the back up the top and i remember the stairs were just rivers of piss gushing down and when we scored some woman was kissing a copper as for the replay we were down the front and there was some yids near us and golf balls were being thrown but what i do remember most is the shite feeling you get in your gut when you walk away from Wembley having lost.!
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 20:56 - May 20 with 2230 viewssexton

I went to all the home games, the semi and both matches at Wembley.

Clive Allen nearly started a riot in the the 6th round win over Palace. Having slotted home a late winner at the Loft End he sprinted towards the School end to celebrate in front of the Palace fans, wheeling his arm around and doing a knees-up.

Posters have already mentioned that moment went the ball went in off Clive Allen's knee. I don't think I've lost it like I did then. West Brom were shit hot at the time. Cyrille Regis was awesome - fast, powerful, a great shot. Like a prototype Sir Les.. Bob Hazell was a bit of a loose cannon, regularly mistiming tackles or simply taking his opponent out of the game. A bit like Barton today - always a moment away from another card. But that day he was superb, marking Regis right out of the game and not putting a foot wrong.

The semi-final and both finals were both played during the strange atmosphere of Falklands crisis. The semi was the day after the Argentinian invasion, and the final the day after the British re-invasion. Ardiles went off to play in Paris, Ricky Villa stuck around. He opted out of the final, though the Spurs fans sang 'there's only one Ricky Villa' throughout.

As others have noted, the first game was a bit drab. I was the opposite end to Fenwick's goal and remember hesitating a bit before celebrating. It was so damn far away - had it really gone in?

The replay was so much better and I think we shaded it. What a shame.

I remember the vouchers being handed out at the Orient game. We always used to stand at the School End because the view was better. I wrote a pleading letter, got a reply from Ron Phillips and got a ticket from the box office. For the replay I went down and joined the queue.

28 years ago. Crikey.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 21:02 - May 20 with 2223 viewsLOFT67

Google, QPR the tallest hat at wembley, this will bring back plenty of memorys for those who were there.

Loft67

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 21:16 - May 20 with 2206 viewsQPR1882

After Fenwick had scored was the 1st time i ever heard fans chant to the oppos

' YOUR NOT SINGING ANYMORE '

Or can anyone on here remember that being sung before by us or anyone else ?
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 21:49 - May 20 with 2178 viewsCowleyR

Saw this LP cover at the National Football Museum in Manchester the other day. No, we're not Cockneys!

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 21:55 - May 20 with 2176 viewsMrSheen

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 21:16 - May 20 by QPR1882

The only chants I can remember from the final were "We'll take more care of you, Archibald, Archibald" the baffling song taken from the British Airways ad becoming "He's just a Scottish Jew" which would probably get you arrested now but seemed hilarious at the time.

I had only started going to games regularly after our relegation in 1979 so I had very little experience of big crowds. Stamford Bridge in those days wouldn't draw 20,000 and the largest crowd I had been a part of was at Upton Park. I was a. It awe-struck at how many Spurs fans there were, particularly at the first game where they seemed to have all the neutral areas. Fortunately I didn't get into any bother.

I can confirm the rivers of piss. If you were in the upper standing section, there was no way you could get up to the top of the block, all the way down to the bottom, fight your way into the bogs and then get up and down to your place in the half time break. You just had to stand your ground and let go where you were.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 21:58 - May 20 with 2173 viewsMrSheen

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 20:17 - May 20 by TacticalR

In the semi-final when we scored we all went mental on the North Bank, but I didn't have a clue how we'd scored until I got home and found out that the ball had hit Clive Allen's knee.

I can't remember how I got the final tickets. Going from what's been said already I must have got them because I'd been to the semi-final.

In the final, once Allen was out I didn't think we'd win, and I didn't think we'd win the replay if we couldn't win the final first time round. Lots of nastiness around with Spurs fans trying to pick fights.

A pound off for the replay! How could I forget?
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 22:54 - May 20 with 2131 viewsBrixtonR

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 21:16 - May 20 by QPR1882

Hi, Yeah I'm pretty sure we did. We played Shrewsbury at home a few weeks earlier and were winning 1-0. They equalised but we went almost straight up the other end and scored to make it 2-1 I can remember the loft singing it then and it seemed really loud (I was only nearly 14 so it probably wasn't that loud !)
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 22:55 - May 20 with 2130 viewsextratimeR

Yes, remember this quite well. (despite alcohol), as mentioned Highbury was marvellous, North Bank was a continuous roar, against a very good West Brom side.

First game we were outplayed from start to finish, but did not give up, R's support was non-stop, we went as group of 25 from The Red Lion in Acton High Street, we had two lorries with sofa's in the back, (and beer supply for journey their and back).

Replay was opposite, we outplayed them from start to finish, Archibald got horrendous abuse every time he touched the ball.

Never forget Tony Currie wonderful performance.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 23:42 - May 20 with 2107 viewsrobinj

I only started watching Rangers in 1981 and although I went to the semi-final at Highbury I couldn't get a ticket for the final but I did get a ticket on the lower terrace for the replay. We went up to the club in our lunch break and bought them on the day I think. I went with my mate from work in Hammersmith and we left early to get to Wembley and soak up the amazing atmosphere - first time I had ever been there and I had never seen anywhere so big or seen so many people in one place. I don't remember much about the match except we seemed to be all over them for most of the time after their early goal and the game seemed to be over in no time. I do remember really vividly waiting to see Steve Perryman go up the steps to lift the FA Cup and all the lights shining on the trophy and all the flashguns going off and the noise from the Spurs fans. I would love to see someone in a blue and white hooped short do the same one day. I went in 1986 and to Cardiff so have seen us lose 3 finals now and won't be able to be there on Saturday so I am convinced that my bad luck won't rub off on the team this time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024