Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed 11:39 - May 20 with 14743 viewsNorthernr

Great response to the 1967 plea, and there will be a massive feature with all of that in published later tonight.
Pressing on, hoping to run a similar piece on Wednesday evening about the 1982 cup final. So if you were there and can share experiences of the day, the replay, the ticket buying situation, the cup run, the players, the management, any stories you have basically, they'd be appreciated....

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 23:55 - May 20 with 1837 viewsstan4england

Just two small somethings to add that show the difference between then and now. I was at University so couldn't get the required ticket stub(s)/vouchers. I phoned the box office and pleaded. A few days later a £5 (I think) ticket arrived in the post - no questions asked.

At the semi-final, driving home from Highbury in my Citroen 2CV, a kindly West Brom fan stubbed his cigarette out on my hand through the window, as my seat flew backwards and over as was the habit of 2CVs. On certain nights in certain lights, I can still see the scar.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 00:26 - May 21 with 1825 viewsjamois

I was at the replay and remember a puffy, pasty, sweaty, balding yet blonde haired young hoolie crying in the middle of the middle standing tier, everyone giving him a wide berth. He had a rangers shirt on and he was crying loudly and shouting at everyone to 'av a go then. And a load of spurs duly did and it got a bit scary for yours truly, all of 14. That's about it really.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 01:37 - May 21 with 1815 viewshamptonhillhoop

I went to the first game with my dad as an 11 year old. He got two £5 upper terrace tickets off a bloke in the pub for a tenner each. Remember looking to my right at the crowd in extra time and the whole place erupting. Yes, I missed the only goal we are likely to ever score in a cup final. Went to the replay with mates, hard to believe now with kids that age myself £4 for a lower terrace ticket. Saw loads of people I knew at school from Greenford. Also remember there being quite alot of space
as if it wasn't sold out
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 08:18 - May 21 with 1759 viewsKingstan

I had the option of getting a photographers pass for the first game but chose to sit in the stands. I smuggled a 500mm mirror lens into the stadium hidden under a big coat! The match was poor and Spurs looked really tired ( it is still voted as one of the worst cup finals ). When Fenwick scored I was the only R's fan not celebrating as I was desperately trying to keep the camera from bouncing in the commotion. The club photographer at the time Keith Crekandon had his negatives of the game messed up in the process so gave me a call to get material for the club and Wembley programme. I had to ring round the snappers who were there to get pictures from the game with a Rangers bias to send in which most of them did. My snap of Fenwick's goal used to be hung up in the boardroom but I don't know if it still is. I went down to the club the day before the replay and picked up a ticket with ease, they had so many left and did eventually send unsold tickets back to Wembley, I noticed spurs fans buying tickets there too because the Evening Standard that day had run a story that Rangers couldn't sell their allocation! The replay was a better match but were I was standing I was outnumbered by Spurs fans who all suddenly donned their colours after they scored. Horrible atmosphere. After the game I legged it as pockets of fighting had broken out. I saw bricks being thrown outside the stadium and a car windscreen smashed. I'm afraid I don't hold happy memories of the replay.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 08:37 - May 21 with 1744 viewsPommyhoop

I'd just turned 17.I didnt go to the actual final.Coul'dnt get a ticket. And my Dad who got a spare took my MUM!!!.Think he was punishing me for being a right 'orrible teenager.
I went down to the replay on my own with no ticket .Got one easily from an R fan for a fiver (think the face was 4 quid). While I was mooching around outside our end looking for a ticket it kicked off a few times with Spurs who thought they could take the p!ss.
The game was a choker but like others I was proud of our boys who were the better side and played their hearts out. I was in the end right behind the goal where Hoddle put the penalty away. Below us were a section of Tottenham fans who were getting showered with coins and such. I didnt throw any .I barely had the trainfare home.
That train ride up the Picadilly line was one of the crappest journeys Ive ever had..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 08:43 - May 21 with 1739 viewsDiscodroid

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 20:23 - May 20 by murge

I remember that by the time we had beaten Middlesborough in the 3rd round replay , due to weather postponements, we already knew that after Blackpool we had Grimsby at home and would be then 1 game away from the semis. Felt confident that with our team , our manager and our artificial pitch we were on our way to Wembley. Teams found our pitch " difficult " but with Tony Currie in our side we had the one player who could hit a long ball and make the ball stand up rather than run out of play after one bounce . Having disposed of both Grimsby and Crystal Palace in tense scrappy games on our pitch we rolled onto our Highbury semifinal.The boys were singing about turning The North Bank into a lavatory and indeed it was so crammed that I suspect that there were a few warm wet legs that afternoon
Took my mrs to the game and saw a very happy David Bedford ( the athlete ) sinking a pint or 2. When Clive scored my mrs disappeared down the terraces. I don't recall there being any other females on The North Bank that day , it certainly wasn't a venue designed for women. The crush was so great you could lift your feet off the ground and just go with the sway.Having rescued my mrs from exuberant fans delighted to celebrate the goal with the only female to hand we sang and chanted the names of our team to the final whistle. We were back at Wembley !!! The drive back to West London and The Crown and Sceptre was a cavalcade of cars honking and Fans hanging out of them chanting along the Marylebone Rd.
For the final I had arranged to meet a mate from my Sunday football team at some pub whose name I can't recall at the northern end of the Ealing Rd. He was a Spuds supporter and the venue was chosen as it probably was a non partisan venue where we could have a quiet pint before going our separate ways. I had pushed the boat for wearing my colours that day right down to a knitted bobble hat bought when pissed from the club shop.The pub had one huge cavernous bar and when I walked in it was shoulder to shoulder with Spuds. My mate who ( at a later date ) admitted he was there, hid in the gents when he saw me. I couldn't walk out without looking like a prick ( although my clobber sure pointed to that ) so ordered a pint of Pride and tried to drink it as nonchalantly, but swiftly as possible whilst the whole pub sang " who the f..., who the f..., who the f..., are you ?"
The match itself was a fairly dull affair, ruined by the bad injury to our predatory striker after what only seemed seconds. Our equaliser was a much used training ground affair . Long throw from Simon Stainrod onto Bobby Hazell's head , flicked onto the far post where Terry Fenwick was waiting. All hell broke loose as The Spuds had been already singing victory songs. The ones below us at the old scoreboard end were showered with abuse and detritus.Happy Days .
The replay was a much better game apart from Tony Currie 's ( acting captain that day )mistimed tackle. We were the better side, playing great football. Gary Micklewhite had a goal ruled out just before half time. ( I 'm still not sure why .) and John Gregory had a volley onto the bar just in front of us. Iwas celebrating a goal as it came off the bar. Simon Stainrod had chances that he would normally have buried but the gods weren't with us that day.
As we trod home I wasn't too disheartened because I knew we had a good young improving team led by the best young coach/ manager in The Football League. Things could only get better. Which it did. Promotion as league winners and then qualification for the Uefa Cup. C'mon U Rs!!!

ps sorry about previous attempts . I'm an idiot and a luddite.

as well as a cracking story on the 82 cup final mate, can i say you have a fine avatar, of which i am insanely jealous, i have a lot of robert crumb stuff from his various hippy/californian 'head' comics from the 1970's. good to see another fan of all that gear.

its up there with 'mike kampf' as the best username.
[Post edited 21 May 2014 8:49]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 11:55 - May 21 with 1659 viewsTeddRanger

Q Final -remember Clive's goal, his celebrations and the "irate "Palace fans at the end. Still think a few bear a grudge to this day ;)

Semi Final . First ever doner kebab (30 years later, can't remember having had a doner again at lunchtime) Two of us bedecked in blue and white walking through about 20,00 WBA fans outside the ground. They were so astonished that no one started on us! Clive's goal and that surge down the North bank-arrived 30 yards further down than where I'd started.

Final. Didn't think I was going to get a ticket. Luckily, a mate worked at Barclays in Shepherds Bush where QPR banked at that time. That's where many of the tickets were stored. He managed to "liberate" one for me!

Memories of the game well covered by others but not enough praise has been given to Peter Hucker. He was sensational for us that day and pretty sure he won MoM.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 12:01 - May 21 with 1654 viewsPinnerPaul

Whens the 67 piece appearing Clive?

Cheers

Paul
Login to get fewer ads

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 13:46 - May 21 with 1593 viewsstevec

All a bit of a blur but a great day out. We started out from Neasden with a couple of friends (Paul Chamberlain, you out there?) and set off up Blackbird Hill on foot, reached the Stadium, whereupon my Dad realised he'd left all 4 tickets back at their house.

We were all fairly p*ssed by then and sent my Dad scuttling back to their house to get them. Well he did, along with a full bottle of their whisky. A coach of Spurs supporters spotted him (it was a big hat!) and virtually the whole coach decided to moon at him. Naturally he mooned back. They apparently thought this hilarious, opened the coach door, he jumped on whereupon the coach drew up at Wembley, he jumped out with a now empty bottle, giving a big 'Hurrah' , totally and absolutely bladdered. Fair play to the Spurs fans for getting him back in one piece. God rest his soul, over 20 years now but I'll be thinking of him at Wembley.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 15:40 - May 21 with 1560 viewsketteringrs

Did 82 and replay.
Got tickets via going to Orient post semi final and given a scrap of paper entitling me to a Final ticket. Think they kept that quiet to make sure some of the more loyal support got a ticket at that time period.

Also did 67 but I have absolutley no outstanding memory. I was only 11.

Was wearing my lucky yellow T shirt that I wore to Palace and WBA matches only to discover it was the same colour as Spuds for the final and having to convince loads of R's that I was actually a ranger, which rather put me on edge. Lucky I had my old man with me who was putting them straight.

Also getting my replay ticket and it was pouring down with rain down Loftus rd, watching some geezer shampooing his hair and then washing the soap off under a split drain pipe that was pissing out water.

Being so proud of the team at the end of the replay. Moist eyes as well.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 16:54 - May 21 with 1536 viewsKingy27

I was 14 at the time of the 82 cup final. Went with my dad. Can't remember what the problem was but when we got to the block our tickets were for the steward wouldn't let us in. I can remember being in tears thinking that I was going to miss the match. This Spurs fan was standing there while all this was going on and to cut a long story short I got in, but was in the Spurs end. ( My dad got in with his original ticket) Not great, sitting there with all my Rangers gear on.

Don't remember much about the game apart from the equaliser...and the rain!
I can clearly remember saying to mum before I left the house "I hoped it rained as it creates a better atmostphere" and It was pissing down when Fenwick scored his goal.
My stand out memory from that match is getting a back hander in the face from a Spurs fan outside the Torch!
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 17:05 - May 21 with 1528 viewswelwynhoop

I was 17 in 1982 and a season ticket holder with my dad. Unfortunately, I can't remember much about the games only the excitement when we scored in the semi final and the pride after the replay. I was thinking about that on Saturday when one of the Hull players said it didn't really matter playing well as they lost. I thought it may not matter to the players but it does matter to the fans.
I do have a folder of all the programmes from the cup run and many, many newspaper cuttings. One headline from the final says 'Monument to Mediocrity' but for the replay my favourite is 'Out of luck Rangers take all the glory but no gold'.
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 17:09 - May 21 with 1523 viewswombat

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 16:54 - May 21 by Kingy27

I was 14 at the time of the 82 cup final. Went with my dad. Can't remember what the problem was but when we got to the block our tickets were for the steward wouldn't let us in. I can remember being in tears thinking that I was going to miss the match. This Spurs fan was standing there while all this was going on and to cut a long story short I got in, but was in the Spurs end. ( My dad got in with his original ticket) Not great, sitting there with all my Rangers gear on.

Don't remember much about the game apart from the equaliser...and the rain!
I can clearly remember saying to mum before I left the house "I hoped it rained as it creates a better atmostphere" and It was pissing down when Fenwick scored his goal.
My stand out memory from that match is getting a back hander in the face from a Spurs fan outside the Torch!

Was a season ticket holder so no trouble getting a cup final or replay ticket in 82 went with the old man to both games he stopped going shortly after , the first game was dirge then fenwick scored I was sat near the half line opposite the royal box and ended up prob ten to 15 rows further forward tha. I was before the goal , replay I remember little of I remember that can't of a ref blocking waddock from the tackle outside the box before they scored I remember us having a goal disallowed stain rod wasn't it ? Then going home I was in the bus with the old man and looked down to see a group of rangers fans playing keepie uppie with a spurs fans head outside the pub on Wembley high road , old man took us to the western arms after he had a drink I gazed at the girl behind the bars boobs while drinking my lager they were enormous and set me on the rd to becoming a fully fledged boob man

Semi final got sent down by the west brom coaches and got a kicking for a hundred of so yards w@ankers but we'd won't so it didn't really hurt that much

Poll: which is your favouite foot

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 18:51 - May 21 with 1502 viewsbollockchops

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 21:58 - May 20 by MrSheen

A pound off for the replay! How could I forget?

[IMG] http://i60.tinypic.com/2zxrrrd.jpg[/IMG]
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 18:57 - May 21 with 1500 viewsKerryE

Went to both. Tickets for final - whos great idea was it that a single voucher for an evening game against Orient would guarantee a FA cup final ticket. I lived 40 miles away but managed to get to game along with about 8000 others. My mate could not get there cos of an A level exam the next day.

So no ticket for him, we both agreed (sorry to say this, hope nobody is reading) to start supporting C*****a! Fortunately the club eventually found a ticket.

Third round home match, about 20 blokes start singing 'Millwalls off so we are here', very strange. Anyone remember that?
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 19:03 - May 21 with 1493 viewsbollockchops

1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 18:51 - May 21 by bollockchops

[IMG] http://i60.tinypic.com/2zxrrrd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] http://i61.tinypic.com/4qkbc8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] http://i58.tinypic.com/2ijggmq.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] http://i61.tinypic.com/9i6xqf.jpg[/IMG]
1982 FA Cup final and replay - were you there? Help needed on 21:56 - May 21 with 1464 viewschris1969

1981, the year they ripped up the turf, was the year we suddenly got a new lawn in the back garden. Albert Steptoe like, my dad arrived on the Sunday after the final game and proceeded to load up the VW camper with bags of soil. The decision to go plastic was for me the reason 1 year later I would find myself at Wembley.

After sharing a season ticket for 3 years we finally got a Family ticket in the upper loft (front row) and it was an unbelievable time to start going on a regular basis. I managed 8 FA Cup games that year only missing Boro away, I probably haven't managed 8 FA Cup games in the last decade! The relatively easy draw plus the new 'plastic' pitch helped massively that year but the Highbury semi final performance against West Brom proved we deserved to be there. Remember celebrating on the way home with my Dad in Marine Ices Chalk Farm and this tradition has continued with my family, non football supporting girls!!

The 2 Wembley games were amazing and I remeber the whole week was totally QPR dominated from the final, queueing for Replay tickets on the Sunday, proudly walking to school every day wearing the QPR hat. Even school was different that week when you were getting comments and banter from the older kids who didn't know you existed the previous week. Biggest memory for me was the song after the replay 'Were proud of you, were proud of you, were proud of you Rangers'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024