Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) 19:58 - Jul 12 with 1383 viewsthame_hoops

This guy is currently in the Pakistan test squad after a five year ban and a jail sentence... Should he be allowed back in test cricket?

What do you all think?

I'm on the fence, can't decide, doesn't seem much of a deterrent for match fixing/ bowling no balls but he was very young and supposedly influenced by others....

Discuss
Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 20:06 - Jul 12 with 1371 viewsjohncharles

The punishment sent out a clear message. No matter how young, no matter how small the offence and no matter how much you have influenced by others you will punished. He's lost five crucial years of his career. Let come back now but others beware.

Strong and stable my arse.

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 20:21 - Jul 12 with 1346 viewsDWQPR

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 20:06 - Jul 12 by johncharles

The punishment sent out a clear message. No matter how young, no matter how small the offence and no matter how much you have influenced by others you will punished. He's lost five crucial years of his career. Let come back now but others beware.

Totally agree, I was at Lords that day when he over-stepped the mark, (quite literally), and although the day was highlighted by the brilliant onslaught by Stuart Broad during the late afternoon, early evening at the time it didn't seem to matter that much but then you thought about whether Amir and the others that were implicated allowed that situation to happen and whether others in the team were involved and escaped implication. We will never know. But what is done is done, he was a kid at the time and influenced and coersed by Salman Butt, the captain and he is the person who should never ever be allowed back into the game at any level.

Amir proved that he was a brilliant talent for his age and his career, however successful in the future will always be tainted by what happened. And yet in this country we will still glorify violent armed robbers (Ronnie Biggs, Buster Edwards) and vile, murdering, thieving so called gangsters such as the Kray twins. And all this kid is most guilty of is his own naivity and giving into the pressure put upon him by people who were greedy and lacking care for him.

I hope that he does well in the game, but also that the punishment meted out to him will deter others and I will be at Lords again on Thursday, and yes, if England bat first, I wont boo him, but I will no doubt join in with a few mischeavious 'no-ball' shouts.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 21:03 - Jul 12 with 1305 viewsCHUBBS

The kid done his time and deserves another chance,Salman Butt deserves nothing but contempt for allowing someone so young to engage in something so corrupt.
The Muslim Pakistani fans are no where near as forgiving as their strict culture dictates a different set of circumstances to ours.
He's been booed and insulted when performing in the shorter disciplines recently.
Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 23:56 - Jul 12 with 1219 viewsCiderwithRsie

Brendan McCullum was interesting on the subject of leniency regarding fixing. Having given evidence against one of his own mates I don't think he's particularly soft on it, but he made the point that if you don't take account of mitigating circumstances you end up treating the really bad guys - like Salman in this case - no worse than a kid who got led astray.

It's also worth remembering that the fixing he was guilty of was in fact fairly minor - he did not try to throw a match, he was bowling no balls at specific times. It must distort the game, but not I think to a significant extent.
Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 10:29 - Jul 13 with 1119 viewsrobith

It is a tough one because he was so exceptionally young when it happened and he was clearly manipulated by older forces who knew what they were doing.

But the offence should be a clear zero sum issue - life ban.

In short, I don't know
Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 13:37 - Jul 13 with 1072 viewskingsburyR

Life ban for me.

If you cheat you should expect the most severe punishment.

Yes he has lost 5 years of his career but hes back earning a fortune from a game he cheated....... and starting off at the scene of the crime!!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 16:15 - Jul 13 with 1031 viewsdistortR

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 13:37 - Jul 13 by kingsburyR

Life ban for me.

If you cheat you should expect the most severe punishment.

Yes he has lost 5 years of his career but hes back earning a fortune from a game he cheated....... and starting off at the scene of the crime!!!

Agreed. Actions like his go so fundamentally against the spirit of sport and are so detrimental to fans perception and belief in sport, there should be no coming back. He had great ability, had a great opportunity, and he blew it. For cash. Do one and don't come back.
Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 16:20 - Jul 13 with 1026 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Even going back to the Pete Rose baseball case sport seems to demand life bans for betting but is happy to wave paltry bans for performance-enhancing drugs. Both involve cheating but it always strikes me as double-standards to believe in rehabilitation and forgiveness for one but not the other.

I know nothing of this case, but find the issue interesting.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 16:21 - Jul 13 with 1020 viewsdistortR

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 16:20 - Jul 13 by BrianMcCarthy

Even going back to the Pete Rose baseball case sport seems to demand life bans for betting but is happy to wave paltry bans for performance-enhancing drugs. Both involve cheating but it always strikes me as double-standards to believe in rehabilitation and forgiveness for one but not the other.

I know nothing of this case, but find the issue interesting.

Nice fence Brian!
Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 16:23 - Jul 13 with 1016 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 16:21 - Jul 13 by distortR

Nice fence Brian!

It's the opposite, DistortR. I think that the reason the establishment hate betting and match-fixing is because it loses them money. Steroids make them money. I think the shock and anguish on their part is fake.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2016 16:23]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 16:28 - Jul 13 with 1005 viewsdistortR

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 16:23 - Jul 13 by BrianMcCarthy

It's the opposite, DistortR. I think that the reason the establishment hate betting and match-fixing is because it loses them money. Steroids make them money. I think the shock and anguish on their part is fake.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2016 16:23]

Steroids are a 'kin curse. lots of lads around here on them, pumped up and prone to rages. Great. But nothing seems to be done about it, although coppers use the same gyms and are......oh.
Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 16:40 - Jul 13 with 995 viewsCFW

Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 20:21 - Jul 12 by DWQPR

Totally agree, I was at Lords that day when he over-stepped the mark, (quite literally), and although the day was highlighted by the brilliant onslaught by Stuart Broad during the late afternoon, early evening at the time it didn't seem to matter that much but then you thought about whether Amir and the others that were implicated allowed that situation to happen and whether others in the team were involved and escaped implication. We will never know. But what is done is done, he was a kid at the time and influenced and coersed by Salman Butt, the captain and he is the person who should never ever be allowed back into the game at any level.

Amir proved that he was a brilliant talent for his age and his career, however successful in the future will always be tainted by what happened. And yet in this country we will still glorify violent armed robbers (Ronnie Biggs, Buster Edwards) and vile, murdering, thieving so called gangsters such as the Kray twins. And all this kid is most guilty of is his own naivity and giving into the pressure put upon him by people who were greedy and lacking care for him.

I hope that he does well in the game, but also that the punishment meted out to him will deter others and I will be at Lords again on Thursday, and yes, if England bat first, I wont boo him, but I will no doubt join in with a few mischeavious 'no-ball' shouts.

I will be at Lords tomorrow - should be a good day - weather set fair and nice big crowd. Not sure about where I stand with this - my gut reaction is you are gone mate you are not trustworthy and bought shame on the game and your country into dis-repute. Should not now be earning shed loads from the game you clearly had no respect for earlier in your career. Perhaps people do change - not sure.

Anyway looking forward to an expensive day out!!!

Enjoy your day.
Mohammad Amir-Cricketer (NON QPR) on 17:43 - Jul 13 with 967 viewsingeminate

Dimly remember reading an article on this from a completely different perspective. It took you to where he grew up which was poverty stricken. One of those spots where you have to walk x miles to a well - it also explained that Pakistan's cricketers were not especially well paid.

So if he thought he could earn a tonne of money and give it back to his family which would radically change their living conditions for what? A couple of no balls which are hardly likely to influence the result either way. Well looking at it like that changed it a bit for me.

A game of cricket Vs setting up your family for life - so far as I understand that is the pitch he was given.

See how he might be seduced in to it,

We do take a certain standard of living for granted over here.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024