Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Turntablists 23:13 - Mar 28 with 8579 viewsPunteR

As vinyl has made a bit of a comeback ,just wondered what everyone has?
Im looking at buying a new pair of Audio Technicas LP120 USB. Got good reviews. Good price. Ticks all the boxes. Technics 1200s out of my price range really, they've gone up in price. The new ones £1500-£2000 just for one deck..!

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Turntablists on 09:31 - Mar 30 with 1618 viewsmarkqpr

Turntablists on 19:56 - Mar 29 by PunteR

Blimey, serious kit there fella.. What music do you play?

Fred- Thats the plan mate.

The cheapest i've seen 1200s go for on Ebay is around £350 for one. Ive put in a couple of cheeky bids at the £300 mark but usually get outbid. Ive owned both 1200s and 1210s over the years, big regret selling them. The problem buying 2nd hand as you never really know the condition of them as most are about 20 years old. Robust as they are they still need looking after. At the right price and condition I'm tempted.
Brand new Audio Technicas are going for £240 though. No idea how they play but look just like Technics and probably fine for what i need these days. Anybody out there tried them?
At the mo , i've just got a cheap as chips Kam deck , plugged into a 2 channel USB Numark mixer, which is linked to my PC (Spotify etc). Agree with Outwester that decent cartridges makes a big difference. Changed mine to Ortofon.
I looked at Sonos speakers but went for a pair of KRK Rokit 5 active speakers which are great.
Like paulparker i'm a bit behind on the digital front although i've recently downloaded Audacity(again!) so can record my vinyl straight onto that, then hopefully Soundcloud with a few mixes, once i've got my house finished and decorated lol. (thats the deal with missus)

Professionally I play out Hip Hop, Breakbeat and Drum & Bass.

I also play House, Techno (Late 80's - early to mid 90's), Soul and general Dance but mainly just at home.

I produce Hip Hop, having produced Council Estate Of Mind for Skinnyman, the Digmund Freud E.P. for Mystro and tracks for loads of English and American MCs.

More of a hobby now as having 2 kids focused me on actually having to earn a decent living but I still play out every now and then if it's for a friend or the money's decent enough!

I'm working on a 2 hour set at the moment, Hip Hop and Drum & Bass, that start's with the commentary from Zamora's goal at Wembley and finishes with the commentary from Fenwick's goal in the Cup Final - 'The set piece ploy works again!'
Turntablists on 09:46 - Mar 30 with 1616 viewsmarkqpr

Turntablists on 08:28 - Mar 30 by Drewster

Funny I was going to start a thread on this subject the other day to look for advice.
Looking to upgrade from my 30yr old Technics SL-B210 and was considering a Rega Planar2 or the Project Debut Carbon. Any advice on which to go for?

I've had the Rega Planar 2 for over 20 years and absolutely love it. Full deep rich sound. I've had to change the belt quite a few times though as manually moving it from 33rpm to 45rpm does stretch it over time and I've had to replace the drive motor once a few years ago as it just died on me.

The Project Essential 2 I've had for 4 years and think it's amazing but not as full a sound as the Rega, though as I've had the Rega longer my ears are probably biased towards it and I don't know what the newer models sound like.

Both great turntables, I'll only play with and recommend Ortofon needles but the Project Debut Carbon is considered the best at it's price point and it comes with an Ortofon so I'd go for that one and quick as it's price seems to be rising at the moment, you can find it for around £325, though most stockists have it at around £350.

If you can audition both in a shop on the same speakers with a piece of vinyl you know well do it, as ultimately your ears will make the best decision.
Turntablists on 10:13 - Mar 30 with 1598 viewsColesIndyRs

"I'll only play with and recommend Ortofon needles"

This +1, putting an Ortofon cartridge on my Rega was like night and day in quality.
Turntablists on 10:53 - Mar 30 with 1582 viewsR_from_afar

Turntablists on 09:12 - Mar 30 by silky

Hey PunteR,

Thanks for the support fella, really appreciate it.

Yes my works are all breakbeat related, under the Breakbeat Hardcore, Jungle Techno umbrella.
Unfortunately Discogs & Ebay are your best bet for Old Skool vinyl, if you like the newer take on Old Skool with the occasional vintage Old Skool records then Redeye is a great site....

https://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/home/

I don't buy vinyl any more, I just receive Test Presses and Full Releases of my works from the labels I deal with.
Lots of label owners are selling through their own bandcamp pages.

I have about 4-5 copies left of my first ever EP back in 2011 which if you want to listen to it it's on the Discogs page, that's more Breakbeat House, Techno at a slower pace
https://www.discogs.com/Worldwide-Epidemic-Worldwide-Epidemic-EP/master/391155

One of my more recent releases last year
https://www.discogs.com/Worldwide-Epidemic-The-Waveshaper-EP/master/1034791
https://soundcloud.com/silky1122/worldwide-epidemic-the-waveshaper-ep-7th-12009-

I am also doing a charity vinyl which is a 4 track EP with 3 other artists. Once pressing costs are covered all proceeds with go to the Charity "MIND" which is a great cause, details are here
https://djflow-uk.bandcamp.com/album/osrt-recordings-volume-1

Apologies for the self indulgence everyone I don't often do this sort of spamming I personally hate it, but hope you enjoy.

Oh and here is the rig if you are interested in my setup! :D

That is quite a set-up! What's the synth, by the way? A Roland?

Some breaking news over here may enable me to make a more interesting contribution to this excellent thread: My nephew has just taken delivery of one of these:

https://us.novationmusic.com/launch/launchpad#

He's already an accomplished guitarist and is a pretty decent drummer, having received an electronic drumkit for Christmas. I had a go at jamming on my guitar with him when he showed off his drumming skills recently.

I can't wait to see what he cranks out with that Launchpad.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Turntablists on 11:04 - Mar 30 with 1573 viewssilky

Turntablists on 10:53 - Mar 30 by R_from_afar

That is quite a set-up! What's the synth, by the way? A Roland?

Some breaking news over here may enable me to make a more interesting contribution to this excellent thread: My nephew has just taken delivery of one of these:

https://us.novationmusic.com/launch/launchpad#

He's already an accomplished guitarist and is a pretty decent drummer, having received an electronic drumkit for Christmas. I had a go at jamming on my guitar with him when he showed off his drumming skills recently.

I can't wait to see what he cranks out with that Launchpad.

RFA

Thanks R From Afar.

Kit list is.

Synths

Access Virus B
Waldorf Q
Novation Supernova 2
Roland JD990
Roland JV2080
Korg 01 RW
E-MU Proteus 2000
Akai S950
Akai SG01v

Soundcards

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Focusrite Octopre

Sequencer

Cubase 5

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Turntablists on 12:24 - Mar 30 with 1555 viewsultramagnetic

Turntablists on 09:31 - Mar 30 by markqpr

I also play House, Techno (Late 80's - early to mid 90's), Soul and general Dance but mainly just at home.

I produce Hip Hop, having produced Council Estate Of Mind for Skinnyman, the Digmund Freud E.P. for Mystro and tracks for loads of English and American MCs.

More of a hobby now as having 2 kids focused me on actually having to earn a decent living but I still play out every now and then if it's for a friend or the money's decent enough!

I'm working on a 2 hour set at the moment, Hip Hop and Drum & Bass, that start's with the commentary from Zamora's goal at Wembley and finishes with the commentary from Fenwick's goal in the Cup Final - 'The set piece ploy works again!'

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/c0.134.1080.1080/17077

I am going to this in Newcastle, I am a old school hip hop head and love my UK but really to 94ish after that various bit I like such as skinnyman.

Last week saw the HQ squad at the Brixton chip shop and skinnyman is there next sat with cormega
Turntablists on 13:25 - Mar 30 with 1535 viewsDrewster

Turntablists on 09:46 - Mar 30 by markqpr

I've had the Rega Planar 2 for over 20 years and absolutely love it. Full deep rich sound. I've had to change the belt quite a few times though as manually moving it from 33rpm to 45rpm does stretch it over time and I've had to replace the drive motor once a few years ago as it just died on me.

The Project Essential 2 I've had for 4 years and think it's amazing but not as full a sound as the Rega, though as I've had the Rega longer my ears are probably biased towards it and I don't know what the newer models sound like.

Both great turntables, I'll only play with and recommend Ortofon needles but the Project Debut Carbon is considered the best at it's price point and it comes with an Ortofon so I'd go for that one and quick as it's price seems to be rising at the moment, you can find it for around £325, though most stockists have it at around £350.

If you can audition both in a shop on the same speakers with a piece of vinyl you know well do it, as ultimately your ears will make the best decision.

Nice one, thanks.
My local Audio T have offered to set up both for me to compare, so I'll do that and see where it goes. Both within about £50 of each other.
Interesting comments about the needles and how much of a difference they really make.
I'll report back as and when
Turntablists on 17:21 - Mar 30 with 1499 viewsPunteR

Turntablists on 09:31 - Mar 30 by markqpr

Wicked mate. Make sure you put a link up of your mix on here for a listen. :)

Login to get fewer ads

Turntablists on 09:47 - Mar 31 with 1447 viewsStevenageRanger

Turntablists on 17:21 - Mar 30 by PunteR

Wicked mate. Make sure you put a link up of your mix on here for a listen. :)

Yep as others as said, Vinyl never went away for me!

Still got my 1210s and DJ regular. I actually use the 1210s but with Serato.

Had them for 20+ years now and still rock solid.

I have actually had a couple of tunes pressed up to vinyl up over the years (Old Skool Hardcore style during the early 00s revival)

I DJ'ed on Friday night and for the first time took along a stack of tunes on USB to play via CDJ. Not the same for me (I actually struggle to mix on them - Unless I hit the sync button!) I suppose its the feel of vinyl and touching the platter that you get used too.

I must say though, it is so so easy to DJ now from the point of view of carrying vinyl etc.. You can walk into a club with two USB sticks and are good to go! Will never be the same as them pop and crackles you get at the start of the tune from vinyl!
Turntablists on 00:04 - Apr 1 with 1414 viewsPunteR

Turntablists on 09:47 - Mar 31 by StevenageRanger

I have actually had a couple of tunes pressed up to vinyl up over the years (Old Skool Hardcore style during the early 00s revival)

I DJ'ed on Friday night and for the first time took along a stack of tunes on USB to play via CDJ. Not the same for me (I actually struggle to mix on them - Unless I hit the sync button!) I suppose its the feel of vinyl and touching the platter that you get used too.

I must say though, it is so so easy to DJ now from the point of view of carrying vinyl etc.. You can walk into a club with two USB sticks and are good to go! Will never be the same as them pop and crackles you get at the start of the tune from vinyl!

I had a quick mix on CDJs round a mates today . Totally different. I struggle getting my head round them tbh,but can see how convenient it makes things though. Yeh that sync button makes a big difference. Feels weird not having things spin.
My mate is into D&B and has thousands of tunes on his USB sticks ,but call me old fashioned, there's something special about digging out a record from your stack, giving it a spin before hooking it on the deck then gently planting the needle in the grooves.. There's definitely something lacking in digital.
We were talking about the differences between digital and vinyl and the best word we came up with for mixing vinyl was its more organic! lol
Are your tunes up on YouTube StevenageRanger?

Turntablists on 09:02 - Apr 1 with 1387 viewsLblock

PunteR... you've summed it up there

I've tried CD's and couldn't get my head around them.

I'm determined to get my decks aired this summer now

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Turntablists on 09:40 - Apr 1 with 1382 viewssilky

Turntablists on 09:47 - Mar 31 by StevenageRanger

Hey Stevenage,

Proper keen on hearing what old skool hardcore you made, I've made a load of tunes from that style also.

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Turntablists on 11:31 - Apr 3 with 1336 viewsStevenageRanger

Turntablists on 09:40 - Apr 1 by silky

Hey Stevenage,

Proper keen on hearing what old skool hardcore you made, I've made a load of tunes from that style also.

Silky - We have spoken over at B2VOS!!

Some of the tracks are on Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/thedjchance
Turntablists on 13:13 - Apr 3 with 1313 viewsPunteR

Turntablists on 11:31 - Apr 3 by StevenageRanger

That 'Lite em up' tune is the mutts Nutts!. Is that drum loop sampled from jonny L Hurt you so?.

Turntablists on 21:35 - Apr 3 with 1278 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

Turntablists on 07:33 - Mar 29 by silky

Got 8 vinyl releases due this year for what I produce, so in short "YES!" It's making a massive come back and it's still very strong.

Still rocking my Technics 1200's MKII although I don't really DJ any more just produce!

Bought some lovely custom made slipmats with my Producing name and logo, very happy with them.

Speaking as someone that doesnt like electronic music much at all, Silky's stuff is really good!

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Turntablists on 06:11 - Apr 4 with 1253 viewssilky

Turntablists on 11:31 - Apr 3 by StevenageRanger

Ah fella my bad, of course. I am terrible with names, please excuse me.

Nice tunes by the way, another follower. :D

Turntablists on 06:12 - Apr 4 with 1252 viewssilky

Turntablists on 21:35 - Apr 3 by UPPERLOFTNZ

Speaking as someone that doesnt like electronic music much at all, Silky's stuff is really good!

You're a star fella, thanks for the message! Cheques in the post. :D

Turntablists on 11:35 - Apr 12 with 1199 viewsPunteR

Audio Technica 120 x 1 just purchased.. Got to say it's mint.
Looks exactly like a Technics 1200, plays like one, and feels solid and well built like one. (Apart from a couple of minor things)
The sound quality is superb with the standard Audio Technica cartridge but still might switch to Ortofon. Haven't tried the software cd that came with it yet but already have Audacity so should be able to record stuff straight away.
At half the price of a Technics deck I'm well happy with it.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 16:28]

Turntablists on 21:54 - Apr 12 with 1163 viewsFredManRave

Turntablists on 11:35 - Apr 12 by PunteR

Audio Technica 120 x 1 just purchased.. Got to say it's mint.
Looks exactly like a Technics 1200, plays like one, and feels solid and well built like one. (Apart from a couple of minor things)
The sound quality is superb with the standard Audio Technica cartridge but still might switch to Ortofon. Haven't tried the software cd that came with it yet but already have Audacity so should be able to record stuff straight away.
At half the price of a Technics deck I'm well happy with it.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2017 16:28]

Congrats mate, You must be well chuffed. Looking forward to the soundcloud links...

What's Mrs Punter going to be doing now with all the spare time she'll be having?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024