Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Alex Baptiste fella....... 17:32 - Sep 9 with 6366 viewssmegma

MOTM today. Ably assisted by Massimo Luongo. Ned weren't too shabby either.

Another good all round performance. See you all on Tuesday.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 17:41 - Sep 9 with 4784 viewsQuitePossiblyRaving

Played very well, but in the context of how poor Ipswich were going forward (which also gave him more space moving forward), I would go for Luongo or Freeman.

Lovely to be able to debate it as there are so many choices. Great to have the team performance above all the individual ones too.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 17:52 - Sep 9 with 4683 viewsBlackCrowe

He was good but Luongo and Freeman share the spoils.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:17 - Sep 9 with 4491 viewsBklynRanger

He does a very good ball over the top.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:21 - Sep 9 with 4466 viewsozranger

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:17 - Sep 9 by BklynRanger

He does a very good ball over the top.

I thought he was tiring with about 15 to go. All those throw Ins wore him out
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:25 - Sep 9 with 4428 viewsdanehoop

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 17:41 - Sep 9 by QuitePossiblyRaving

Played very well, but in the context of how poor Ipswich were going forward (which also gave him more space moving forward), I would go for Luongo or Freeman.

Lovely to be able to debate it as there are so many choices. Great to have the team performance above all the individual ones too.

This was a team that was on a good early run and we made them look poor today. Fair play to Ollie, got his tactics spot on for this one and in signing Baptiste as well, who looks increasingly steady, with a good pass on him.

Never knowingly understood

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:27 - Sep 9 with 4409 viewsBostonR

At last, a safe pair of hands in central defence who just does the basics very well. Yes, Ipswich were poor, but you can see why he did so well at Preston.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:28 - Sep 9 with 4398 viewssmegma

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:25 - Sep 9 by danehoop

This was a team that was on a good early run and we made them look poor today. Fair play to Ollie, got his tactics spot on for this one and in signing Baptiste as well, who looks increasingly steady, with a good pass on him.

53 minutes in, Baptiste carries the ball away from our box, looks up and hits a 50 yard inch perfect pass to Washington who kills the ball dead as it drops over his shoulder. Best move of the match.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:40 - Sep 9 with 4333 viewsLongsufferingR

Haven't been impressed until today, but he was outstanding both defensively and further forward.
Login to get fewer ads

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:44 - Sep 9 with 4276 viewsCiderwithRsie

Given that about the most optimistic thing anyone was prepared to say about Baptiste was "no nonsense lower-league defender, might be OK doing the basics while Hall is injured and cost nothing" it's pretty remarkable to be reading this sort of thing.

Also have to note that while most of us (me included) were at least a little head-scratchy over signing midfielder after midfielder, today I am reading glowing reviews of the midfield and how the team as a whole is purring as a result. Could it be that Holloway, Les and the rest of the guys actually know what they're doing?

This being QPR I expect we'll have a dreadful trot at some point in this season but right now I'm going to bask in the moment and dream of a top-6 finish.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:56 - Sep 9 with 4184 viewsIrishR

Lets not get too excited about Baptiste just yet. Yes he played well but lets see if its the same opinion in a month or so. I hope it is but have my doubts.

On the other hand Scowen is exactly what we have been looking for. They have unearthed a gem for us there. He allows Freeman and Luongo the freedom they need. He is everywhere and always there to assist the defence in terms of breaking up play and receiving the ball constantly off them and the foundation for the setup of attacking play. Very impressed with him and kudos to those involved in getting him to the club.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 19:28 - Sep 9 with 4002 viewsVancouverHoop

He did play very well. He did the stuff you'd expect a defender to do and then some. As well as several exceptionally accurate long passes, there was the shutting down of McGoldrick followed by a cunning little back-heel pass – in his own area! And, especially in the first half, his support of Pawel upfield. So far as I remember none of that was on the tin when we got him.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 19:36 - Sep 9 with 3935 viewsbosh67

I think he's really good. A steady eddie. Reads the game really well, stays on his feet, gets tight and is surprisingly composed on the ball and he can certainly pick out a few long passes. Reminds me a little of the great Danny Maddox in the way he seems to be very composed. Certainly seems to work well with Ned.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 20:02 - Sep 9 with 3828 viewsQuitePossiblyRaving

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:25 - Sep 9 by danehoop

Agree entirely, but I think we stopped them predominantly in the midfield with the back three just needing the mop up anything that got through.

He did do very well going forwards, but I think that the freedom to do so was 'purchased' so to speak by Scowen, Luongo and Freeman in front of him.

Don't get me wrong, I thought he was excellent, and looks a bargain. Just not MoM for me as he wasn't properly tested today.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 20:43 - Sep 9 with 3665 viewsVancouverHoop

He'll have worse days without doubt. Games where he'll make mistakes and catch seven kinds of holy pelters for them. But it's just great, now and again, to see what a player can do when everything's working for him. He may not have another match like it all year, but even so... He'll always have Paris. Or in this case Ipswich.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 21:34 - Sep 9 with 3477 viewsHunterhoop

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 18:27 - Sep 9 by BostonR

At last, a safe pair of hands in central defence who just does the basics very well. Yes, Ipswich were poor, but you can see why he did so well at Preston.

He didn't play central defence. He played right back.

He played central defence against Hull and Brentford.

He was very good at right back today.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 21:48 - Sep 9 with 3395 viewsterryb

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 21:34 - Sep 9 by Hunterhoop

Isn't it strange that we can all watch the same match & not agree on how we lined up!

For me, we played three centre halves of which Baptiste was on the right side of them rather than at right back.

However, it doesn't matter if we're not certain of our formation as long as the players understand it. And i think they do!
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 21:58 - Sep 9 with 3358 viewsconnell10

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 21:48 - Sep 9 by terryb

Isn't it strange that we can all watch the same match & not agree on how we lined up!

For me, we played three centre halves of which Baptiste was on the right side of them rather than at right back.

However, it doesn't matter if we're not certain of our formation as long as the players understand it. And i think they do!

That was the way i was reading it tel.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 22:14 - Sep 9 with 3295 viewsLongsufferingR

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 21:34 - Sep 9 by Hunterhoop

I thought it was a back three with Bidwell and Wszolek as wing-backs. Whatever it was, they all seemed to know their jobs better than we do!
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 22:20 - Sep 9 with 3264 viewsQPR_Nippon

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 21:48 - Sep 9 by terryb

Seemed to me like we switched to a 4 man defence when Wheeler replaced Wszolek, and that's when Baptiste moved from the right- sided centre half position in a back 3 to a conventional right back position.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 22:34 - Sep 9 with 3192 viewsterryb

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 22:20 - Sep 9 by QPR_Nippon

Seemed to me like we switched to a 4 man defence when Wheeler replaced Wszolek, and that's when Baptiste moved from the right- sided centre half position in a back 3 to a conventional right back position.

That may be the case, but that would mean Baptiste played as a centre back for 70 minutes.

It would also be the reason why we lost a little composure at the back after the substitutions.

As I said, as long as the players understand their roles, that is all that matters.
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 22:36 - Sep 9 with 3184 viewsVancouverHoop

Andy Sinton – on the stream – reckoned we started with a back three, then moved to four after about fifteen minutes when it looked as if Ipswich were getting through them too easily.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 22:37]
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 22:54 - Sep 9 with 3131 viewsPunteR

So did Baptiste play RB or CB?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 23:28 - Sep 9 with 3032 viewsVancouverHoop

RB I think. Hard to tell for certain on TV but I'm pretty sure the four across the back were:

Baptiste – Ned – Robinson – Bidwell
This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 00:06 - Sep 10 with 2940 viewsNortholt_Rs

Baptiste my MotM too. We battered the tractor boys today. The 2-1 score line flattered them. Fab win by Ollie and the boys. Slight concern is Conor has reverted to his usual goal-shyness... hopefully he'll score a hat trick against the south London scum on Tuesday night! COYRs!!!!!
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 8:05]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 08:24 - Sep 10 with 2617 viewsHunterhoop

This Alex Baptiste fella....... on 22:36 - Sep 9 by VancouverHoop

Andy Sinton – on the stream – reckoned we started with a back three, then moved to four after about fifteen minutes when it looked as if Ipswich were getting through them too easily.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 22:37]

That sounds spot on. Didn't notice the change at the point it happened.

We lined up 352 at KO, but definitely moved to 433 quite quickly, which then had me wondering if I'd misread the starting shape.

From the back row of the Upper Loft you could clearly see the shape was a back 4 from early on in the first half. I was surprised and kept checking, given it involved Robinson at CB and Baptiste at RB, but it was definitely a back 4.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024