Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Targets 12:47 - Mar 28 with 1977 viewsAntti_Heinola

So, not so much actual players, but positions.

Assumptions: Ned stays, Robinson goes. Smithies stays. Luongo and Freeman stay.

For me, much depends on how well Smyth, Furs, Manning and Eze do between now and the end of the season, but if their for continues, do we need a lot?

For me, I'd like a target man who can actually hold the ball up so that any three of freeman, Eze, BOS, Pav, Smyth, Wash, Wheeler etc can play off him. A Helguson, basically.

And a centre half. I worry about Hall, Lynch lacks consistency, and Robbo gone. We need someone new in there.

If Perch goes, maybe a right back, as furs wold be our only one? Do we need a left back to give competition to Bidwell?

Bare bones.

Summer Targets on 12:56 - Mar 28 with 1954 viewssmegma

I think some players will leave and some players will be signed. You read it here first.
Summer Targets on 13:07 - Mar 28 with 1911 viewsHunterhoop

Yeah, a good target man to compete with Smith, and a centre half to play with Onouha, with Lynch as back up.

They're also the two positions we don't appear (and Smegma may contract me) to have coming through from the youth team, so a just reason to buy.

I'd be a tad surprised if we kept both Luongo and Freeman, but I think he have the cover already there.

I'd also like us to palm Washington off and try another lower league forward with a bit of pace who could play as a wide forward in a 3 or in a top 2 off a big Man. No idea who this is though.
Summer Targets on 13:13 - Mar 28 with 1899 viewsWadR

Pretty much agree with you Antti. I think priority is a more mobile target man - Smith has a lot of plus points and is a fantastic option to have in the squad but his inability to press effectively and the fact he seems to be blowing by the 70th min every game limits us significantly. Would be great to sign some sort of Helguson/Polter hybrid - incredible leap and deft hold up play combined with relentless pressing and work rate.

If Andy Yiadom is out of contract, he'd be ideal as he can effectively cover both fullback positions. Assuming Robinson leaves, I wouldn't feel happy with just Hamalainen and Lynch as cover for Bidwell so think we definitely need more depth there. If we do lose Robinson, and assuming the budgets are tight, I'd be happy for Perch to be given another year if it meant more money could be put towards a new striker though.

Centrehalf I think is dependent on the Hall prognosis. If he has a full pre-season and looks relatively sharp I'd be happy with Onuoha/Hall (Baptiste and Lynch as cover) but if there's any real doubt that he can reach his pre-injury level then I'd think we would need a new signing.

That's assuming Luongo and Freeman stay though. Despite it being a cardinal sin of moneyball football I wouldn't be surprised if we lost Luongo on the basis of a good World Cup and surely Freeman's consistent excellence has attracted interest.

So guess I'd say priorities are: 1) starting striker 2) Centre mid IF one of Luongo/Freeman go 3) Centrehalf if Hall continues to struggle with injury 4) Fullback cover
Summer Targets on 13:18 - Mar 28 with 1886 views1JD

Antti, agree our primary target position is a number 9 hold-up striker. The emergence of the younger lads has plugged several holes in our overall squad, namely pace and width (BOS, Smyth), a passing centre mid (Manning) and flair and creativity (Eze).

I’m keen to see Manning step up as the midfield playmaker that dictates play, recycles possesion, constantly passes and moves etc, like a Faurlin, which is admittedly a tough ask. If he is not see for his role, then I think we have a hole there as none of our current three can run a passing and possession game.

Elsewhere, I think of the 4 out of contract players, Ned and Robbo will both be resigned on reduced terms at our max 20k per week. With Mackie and Perch leaving. As you say, that leaves us leaving a right back. So for me, a centre forward, a playmaker, and a right back. Although I can’t see us bringing in another centre mid currently, as we are over-stocked. So would have to be one in one out there.
Summer Targets on 13:18 - Mar 28 with 1885 viewstimcocking

The only thing we need is a centre forward imo. Preferably one who can both kick a football and run.

Depending, of course, how many defenders we keep.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 13:19]
Summer Targets on 13:42 - Mar 28 with 1818 viewsdaveB

If we're going to play a flat back 4 next season then we'll need a left sided midfield player as I don't think Pawel can do that role over a full season and still not convinced Bright Samuel is a winger although would like to see more of him.

A forward is the obvious position that needs improving plus another centre half when one or both of Ned and Robinson leave
Summer Targets on 13:42 - Mar 28 with 1817 viewsNorthernr

We obviously need more quality up front but as repeatedly explained probably can't afford it. I'd expect Washington to go, they had interest from Ipswich last summer and Millwall in January and if they could get money for him that could be spent on another striker I think they'll do it - although it would only be on another punt from league one or two like Washington, or somebody from a backwater in Europe like Sylla so again that could go well or not go well.

So much hangs on what's going on with Onuoha and Robinson. I think the latter will leave (heard Fulham) clearing some money for the former to stay. Unless they both stay it leaves us chronically short of quality centre backs because Baptiste is nothing more than a half decent back up and I still think Lynch is crap despite recent improvements.

Midfield we're pretty well set I think, especially with manning's recent welcome resurgence.

What I wouldn't want us to do is panic/get caught up in the constant lust for more signings and make signings for the sake of them. We've done that before, specifically with LuaLua and Konchesky, and it's created a bloated squad and obstructed the path of some very good young players.

I also don't want us spending what little money we have on players we're not that sure about - either them or where they fit in the team - which I'm afraid is I think what we've done with Wheeler.

We don't need massive, massive surgery which is a nice change.
Summer Targets on 13:48 - Mar 28 with 1794 viewsericgen34

I have been wondering whether Sylla could be an answer up front. I hope we get to see him up front in the new setup before the end of the season
Login to get fewer ads

Summer Targets on 14:36 - Mar 28 with 1716 viewsdaveB

Summer Targets on 13:48 - Mar 28 by ericgen34

I have been wondering whether Sylla could be an answer up front. I hope we get to see him up front in the new setup before the end of the season

I don't think he's the answer up front, he's a decent goalscorer but like many players he gets better in the fans eyes the less he plays
Summer Targets on 14:46 - Mar 28 with 1692 viewsDorse

I would expect Mackie and Perch to leave along with Robinson. None of that fills me with any particular dread. I would be a little more concerned if we lost Ned too but, frankly, if his time is up and we have a better option, then he has to go too. I don't want him to leave but I think Smithies might get an offer he can't refuse. I also think we might get some interest in Washington (meh) and Scowen (Oh God NO!).

I wouldn't like to go into a new campaign relying on Lynch (streaky Christmasophobic), Baptiste (more of a back up) and Hall (injury concerns) without having at least one more option.

If they are going to let Kakay leave (and it looks likely) then the weight of expectation falls on just Furlong and Bidwell with, perhaps, Hamalainen in reserve. I have no problem with a first choice of Bidwell / Furs but that is only ever one bad tackle away from being an injury crisis. Perhaps there is another U23 that looks the part.

Midfield - as you were. Between Scowongoman, Cousins and Manning that's covered.

Attacking - BOS, Wheeler, Pav, Eze, Chair, Oteh, Smyth. All look good to me though we might be short on the left.

Strikers - I honestly think we'll lose Washington and Mackie which just leaves Smith and Sylla. One more please.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Summer Targets on 15:25 - Mar 28 with 1638 viewsterryb

I think that is a big assumption Antti!

Do we honestly believe that we won't receive offers for at least one of Scowen, Luongo & Freeman? We may well hope to keep all three for next season, but any realistic offer would be accepted by the club for financial reasons.

However, even if that happens I don't think we would need to add too much to the squad.

A forward yes. BUT, should this be a target man or an out & out goalscorer & where do we find either that is affordable?

Baptiste, Hall & Lynch would not be the best of defensive units in the Championship, but compared to what we had in the Rehman years, I could live with that provided the midfield were defending as a unit.

All in all, I'm not expecting too much activity this summer.
Summer Targets on 15:33 - Mar 28 with 1626 viewsAntti_Heinola

Summer Targets on 14:36 - Mar 28 by daveB

I don't think he's the answer up front, he's a decent goalscorer but like many players he gets better in the fans eyes the less he plays

He must be Pele now then.

Bare bones.

Summer Targets on 15:59 - Mar 28 with 1594 viewsNorthernr

Summer Targets on 15:25 - Mar 28 by terryb

I think that is a big assumption Antti!

Do we honestly believe that we won't receive offers for at least one of Scowen, Luongo & Freeman? We may well hope to keep all three for next season, but any realistic offer would be accepted by the club for financial reasons.

However, even if that happens I don't think we would need to add too much to the squad.

A forward yes. BUT, should this be a target man or an out & out goalscorer & where do we find either that is affordable?

Baptiste, Hall & Lynch would not be the best of defensive units in the Championship, but compared to what we had in the Rehman years, I could live with that provided the midfield were defending as a unit.

All in all, I'm not expecting too much activity this summer.

If we went in with Baptiste, Lynch and Hall as our main first choice centre backs we'd do very well not to be in the bottom three.
Summer Targets on 16:42 - Mar 28 with 1532 viewsEsox_Lucius

Get a nice tan, read quite a few books, re-lay the paving in the garden possibly rip out the Leylandii and replace with featheredge fencing. Get in shape for the 2018-19 season.

The grass is always greener.

Summer Targets on 16:49 - Mar 28 with 1514 viewsericgen34

Summer Targets on 14:36 - Mar 28 by daveB

I always liked him, nothing to do with him not playing. I think the current setup could suit him more than when he last played, and he's now had a year to settle in. It will be interesting to see how he goes if he can play in a few games till the end of the season

This said we would be very short up front if there's only him and Smith next season
Summer Targets on 16:58 - Mar 28 with 1488 viewsdaveB

Summer Targets on 16:49 - Mar 28 by ericgen34

I always liked him, nothing to do with him not playing. I think the current setup could suit him more than when he last played, and he's now had a year to settle in. It will be interesting to see how he goes if he can play in a few games till the end of the season

This said we would be very short up front if there's only him and Smith next season

He's alright I just don't think he's the answer to our goalscoring problems, Not sure how the team are set up now is hugely different to what he played in before, He played as a 1 in a 4-2-3-1 last season and was good some weeks dreadful others, same as all the other strikers we have.

I think he'd be more useful if we had wide players getting crosses in but we don't have too many of those at the moment.
Summer Targets on 17:06 - Mar 28 with 1468 viewsTonto

still think target no 1 is to reduce the size of the squad.

So many have given up on Washington i hope for his ake he gets a move as he will be the boo boy next year if he stays (if he is not already).

Perch, JET, Mackie and Kakay are all out of contract and havent really xracked the first team so would be no real loss.

As for bringin in, it real revolves around whether or not Ned and Robison stay or go. We would need to replace whatever leaves as the others are reasonable back ups, but not really starting Xi, with the possible exception of Hall, but who knows what shape he will be in.

The second requirement is a stirker, but only is the price is right.

Final requirement to me is RB depth

We probably need Smegma to add to this on whether there is anyone else from the youth squad who could make the step up as Eze, Smyth and others have done.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Summer Targets on 17:38 - Mar 28 with 1430 viewsonlyrinmoray

I had forgotten about Wheeler I would like to see what he could do Otherwise another pointless signing. Smyth is my high point of the season he has to be given a chance. If Sylla goes no loss to me, never been impressed from what Ive seen of him.

Thanks and goodbye to Alex Smithies hes been one of the best keepers we've had. He deserves a chance in the Premiership
Summer Targets on 17:52 - Mar 28 with 1398 viewsrobith

Out of the midfield three the only one I can see offers for is Freeman - purely because we've had a mediocre season so not on people's radars and a lot of teams will just do automated scouting to save time. They'll see x assists and think Freeman. Luongo and Scowen are players that would do well in a qualitative assessment and I can't imagine scouts are beating down the door to watch us atm
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024